Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Believe it's a Hong Kong movie from the...late 80s/early 90s? Not sure if it made it stateside since we watched it in Asia. Was in Mandarin and not Cantonese but that could be cuz it was a dub and we were in Taiwan

basic plot is there's like a macguffin that grants wishes or at least gives you influence over others. I think it was a disembodied thing like an orb with a voice. The kid who finds it kinda has an ET relationship. There's a shady guy who tries to use it for nefarious reasons like telling women to remove their clothes, though to what extent it was actually doing it versus coincidence is iffy (since the orb was clearly trying to teach him a lesson). He winds up trying to rob a bank by going in and saying "forget my face" to a witness and telling the teller "give me all your money" but it doesn't work and he gets busted

later on there's a white guy who I believe is with the KGB (probably played by a british/australian as HK movies are wont to cast) who is the main antagonist and knows gong fu for some reason (as HK movies are wont to do). Even asks one of the main guys if he wants "kung fu tea". He is after the orb too iirc.

At the end the orb winds up back with an alien that had been hibernating in...a cave? the alien wakes up and is like "I have to return to my home planet now" and the KGB guy is like "NOOOO" and hops a ride with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ape Agitator posted:

Holy crap, I love killer bee movies and hadn't seen that one.

How many killer bee movies are there? I can only think of two offhand: The Bees with John Saxon (1978) and The Swarm with Michael Caine (also 1978, what was going on that year)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pastry of the Year posted:

How many killer bee movies are there? I can only think of two offhand: The Bees with John Saxon (1978) and The Swarm with Michael Caine (also 1978, what was going on that year)

IMDB users make themed lists which is where I found these:

The Deadly Bees (1966)
Killer Bees (1974 TV Movie)
The Savage Bees (1976 TV Movie)
Killer Bees (2002 TV Movie)
Killer Bees (2005)
Black Swarm (2007 TV Movie)
Killer Bees (2008 TV Movie)

Edit: Deadly Invasion: The Killer Bee Nightmare (1995 TV Movie)

Edit 2: oh drat, 1313: Giant Killer Bees! (2011)
It's a David DeCoteau movie!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9wy9G08R4

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 8, 2019

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pastry of the Year posted:

Wikipedia posted:

The descendants of these colonies have since spread throughout the Americas, moving through the Amazon Basin in the 1970, crossing into Central America in 1982, and reaching Mexico in 1985.[4] Because their movement through these regions was rapid and largely unassisted by humans, Africanized bees have earned the reputation of being a notorious invasive species[5] The prospect of killer bees arriving in the United States caused a media sensation in the late 1970s, inspired several horror movies,[6] and sparked debate about the capability of humans to alter entire ecosystems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africanized_bee?wprov=sfti1

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Surely Candyman deserves an honourable mention.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
And My Girl

Anukahn
Jul 22, 2006

My brain hurts

LadyPictureShow posted:

Strapped? It did have a number of rappers in it, and was about a man and his gf trying to get out of the hood.

Most likely not, but is there anything else you remember about the movie?

Not this one nor Boyz in the Hood, but thanks both!

I only extra thing I remember it being contemporary to a Red Hot Chilly Peppers live VHS... sure that wont help :D

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Anukahn posted:

It was the 90s or a bit before as my older brother had this in VHS. Title starting by S? I'm pretty sure it was a regular word stilized with an X or a Z. It was about life in the hood/possibly hip hop or street art involved. Distinctly remember a group of black people talking around a car in a corner. Also possible my brain made all this up as the aforementiones brother doesnt remember this at all.

Straight out of Brooklyn? Menace II Society?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

IMDB users make themed lists which is where I found these:

The Deadly Bees (1966)
Killer Bees (1974 TV Movie)
The Savage Bees (1976 TV Movie)
Killer Bees (2002 TV Movie)
Killer Bees (2005)
Black Swarm (2007 TV Movie)
Killer Bees (2008 TV Movie)

Edit: Deadly Invasion: The Killer Bee Nightmare (1995 TV Movie)

Edit 2: oh drat, 1313: Giant Killer Bees! (2011)
It's a David DeCoteau movie!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9wy9G08R4

Hell yeah! I'd seen all of them except the last two. There's something magical about how cheaply you can make a disaster movie and the slow motion running of at least one person on fire.

:kiss:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The only one I've seen out of those is The Deadly Bees and that's only because it was an MST3K episode. IIRC there's a band that performs in the movie and the lead guitarist is a young Ronnie Wood (who went on to Faces and Rolling Stones)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Anukahn posted:

Not this one nor Boyz in the Hood, but thanks both!

I only extra thing I remember it being contemporary to a Red Hot Chilly Peppers live VHS... sure that wont help :D

Well, approaching this from that angle... was it this 1990 RHCP live VHS?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_Sexfunk_Live_from_Heaven That could narrow down the release date, maybe.

Juice and New Jack City came out in 1991-2.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anukahn posted:

It was the 90s or a bit before as my older brother had this in VHS. Title starting by S? I'm pretty sure it was a regular word stilized with an X or a Z. It was about life in the hood/possibly hip hop or street art involved. Distinctly remember a group of black people talking around a car in a corner. Also possible my brain made all this up as the aforementiones brother doesnt remember this at all.

Was it Hitz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li_h0k6eqwA

e:

Sir Nose posted:

Straight out of Brooklyn? Menace II Society?

Never heard of this movie and looking it up, it looks like it stars a young Lawrence Gilliard Jr. (D'Angelo Barksdale from the Wire), I need to put this at the top of my watchlist.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 8, 2019

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Never heard of this movie and looking it up, it looks like it stars a young Lawrence Gilliard Jr. (D'Angelo Barksdale from the Wire), I need to put this at the top of my watchlist.

Yeah, in trying to find Anukahn's film, I realized, man, was 1990 - 1995 a golden era for gansta/hiphop movies. I really want to revisit some of those and find some new ones with a marathon binge watch. I never heard of Hitz, I'm gonna put that on the list.

Sorry for a derail, but digging around I discovered Fear of a Black Hat --- anyone seen it? Seems to be a This Is Spinal Tap but about the early 90's hiphop scene. I love mockumentaries like that, and my old white rear end grew up with late 80's Public Enemy and BDP and such; is it worth a watch?

Just to throw out another suggestion, since it's a single-word title:
Colors, released 1988
(Awesome soundtrack for that, I found it on vinyl last year at the Goodwill for 25c and nearly poo poo myself. Soooo many memories of listening to it on cassette on my bus rides to school )

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Sorry for a derail, but digging around I discovered Fear of a Black Hat --- anyone seen it? Seems to be a This Is Spinal Tap but about the early 90's hiphop scene. I love mockumentaries like that, and my old white rear end grew up with late 80's Public Enemy and BDP and such; is it worth a watch?

It’s pretty funny, a little dated and definitely of its time but worth a watch especially if you’re knowledgeable about that era of hip-hop since it satirizes everything from NWA to P.M. Dawn

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s pretty funny, a little dated and definitely of its time but worth a watch especially if you’re knowledgeable about that era of hip-hop since it satirizes everything from NWA to P.M. Dawn

Sounds right up my alley! Jeez, I was just talking about about PM Dawn the other day at work (I used to work for a used CD store, and out-of-print CDs by disgraced musicians like them and Milli Vanilli were/are worth big bucks, if anyone has some lying around, just fyi), until I realized most of my co-workers hadn't yet been born when that controversy came out. :corsair: )
I'll check it out, thanks!

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

ruddiger posted:

One of the first of the genre, low budget and not very slick, but not too bad... It contains one of my all-time favorite lines of dialog-- "She got a STOOPID booty!"

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There is also a full soundtrack album available in case you want to listen to the full versions of the songs features in the movie.

I still live my life to the title of Ice's book FYM.

gently caress Y'all Motherfuckas

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
90's (or maybe late 80s) American romantic comedy-drama where a guy proposes to a woman by lighting up certain rooms in an office building to spell out "Will You Marry Me' (or some phrase along those lines) on the outside of the building, and has her look at the building from a distance where she'll see it spelled out. I kind of remember this happening towards the beginning of the film. Also I'm not misremembering the sign from LA Story, this is some other thing.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

codyclarke posted:

90's (or maybe late 80s) American romantic comedy-drama where a guy proposes to a woman by lighting up certain rooms in an office building to spell out "Will You Marry Me' (or some phrase along those lines) on the outside of the building, and has her look at the building from a distance where she'll see it spelled out. I kind of remember this happening towards the beginning of the film. Also I'm not misremembering the sign from LA Story, this is some other thing.
Pretty sure the robot does this (or something like this) while Fisher Stevens is on a date in Short Circuit 2. Don't think it's a marriage proposal though.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I think something like that happens at the end of Hackers.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Hannibal Rex posted:

I think something like that happens at the end of Hackers.

Crash

N

Burn

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Doesn't Fry do this with stars in Futurama?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Doesn't Fry do this with stars in Futurama?

He does, yeah. Trying to remember how he convinced Leela to go out with him when they had their memory wiped

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
It's none of these, unfortunately. Definitely from a more run-of-the-mill late 80's or 90's romance movie. I feel like I'll probably never figure this one out unless I find someone with a specific knowledge in otherwise forgettable romance movies from that period. Thanks for the tries though!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

codyclarke posted:

It's none of these, unfortunately. Definitely from a more run-of-the-mill late 80's or 90's romance movie. I feel like I'll probably never figure this one out unless I find someone with a specific knowledge in otherwise forgettable romance movies from that period. Thanks for the tries though!

The likelihood of this moving starring or at least featuring John Cusack is high.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Trevor Hale posted:

He does, yeah. Trying to remember how he convinced Leela to go out with him when they had their memory wiped

I think it was specifically him trying to figure out what he did during a time skip in Time Keeps On Slippin.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This is a dumb one, but it popped into my head watching Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (I guess I thought it was from that movie).

In the movie I'm thinking of, the snotty-kid character is dismissive of their well-meaning stepmom and keeps calling them by their first name.

Once things start getting hairy, the stepmom saves them, and the snotty-kid goes 'Thanks mom!' and she's all :sparkles:'He called me mom!'

I'm assuming it was something with much younger protagonists than Bill & Ted. It's on the tip of my tongue, I swear.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

This is a dumb one, but it popped into my head watching Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (I guess I thought it was from that movie).

In the movie I'm thinking of, the snotty-kid character is dismissive of their well-meaning stepmom and keeps calling them by their first name.

Once things start getting hairy, the stepmom saves them, and the snotty-kid goes 'Thanks mom!' and she's all :sparkles:'He called me mom!'

I'm assuming it was something with much younger protagonists than Bill & Ted. It's on the tip of my tongue, I swear.

Not a step-mom but Jennifer Garner says the line in The Odd Life of Timothy Green, could that be it?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

LadyPictureShow posted:

That doesn't happen in B&T's Excellent Adventure? Or are you asking for a similar scene from another movie?

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

LadyPictureShow posted:

There is something similar to this in The Crow.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The Macaroni posted:

That doesn't happen in B&T's Excellent Adventure? Or are you asking for a similar scene from another movie?

I could have sworn it was B&T, but Bill just says 'Missy- I mean mom.'

I think I'm thinking of some other 80s comedy.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think this is House Arrest (1996)

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Not sure if this is a movie, TV show, something from a youtube video, or maybe even a talk show interview.

I can only remember part of the quote, but it was something like two people talking about how it was growing up, the first person says something and the second person replies along the lines of "for me it was more like *something* and cigarette burns". It was a comedic line and it was not The Breakfast Club.

I feel like I just saw this in the past few days, but the only thing I've seen lately is Better Call Saul and The Golden Girls and I don't think it was either of them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SkunkDuster posted:

I feel like I just saw this in the past few days, but the only thing I've seen lately is Better Call Saul and The Golden Girls and I don't think it was either of them.

I don't have an answer, but you might want to check your youtube history, or if you have cable, check what was playing these past few days on the channels you likely would have watched.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Any idea what film this could be?

https://twitter.com/AWolfeful/status/1097572948603326464

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

SkunkDuster posted:

Not sure if this is a movie, TV show, something from a youtube video, or maybe even a talk show interview.

I can only remember part of the quote, but it was something like two people talking about how it was growing up, the first person says something and the second person replies along the lines of "for me it was more like *something* and cigarette burns". It was a comedic line and it was not The Breakfast Club.

Could that be from Deadpool? I remember that they were one-upping each other with how terrible their childhoods were and cigarettes were mentioned.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Thanks, but I'm afraid it isn't deadpool. I haven't seen that one.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I heard that too. I don't watch much new stuff, so I want to say it was in the first couple eps of the new True Detective.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what dat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cookiefulloarsenic
Oct 30, 2011

Melvyn Douglas in Ninotchka (1939)