Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

The "no real army" thing is funny, because I remember it being taught back in grades 7, 8, and 10 that having its own army (so as to more readily respond to invasions from America or Ireland) was a central motivation for confederation. But I guess both consensus history and political rhetoric deviate from the facts of the matter in their own regular ways.

I think the Fenian Raids served a pretty good motivator for Upper Canada to get into Confederation, but the other provinces weren't particularly threatened. The Northwest Rebellion forced the government's hand and they gave the Canadian militas some firepower to deal with the fairly successful Metis forces. The gatling guns and artillery turned a few engagements against Dumont and the Metis and I think the whole thing helped justify the transcanada rail line, because of the need to move troops around quickly. I'd argue the rebellion, more than anything else, solidified the fedearl government's supremacy in the Dominion, using Louis Riel's trial and execution as a way to set an example.

an excuse to post pictures:

Queen's Own Rifles in Toronto returning from the west.

Haunting shot of the graveyard in Qu'Apelle

Gatling gun used at the Battle of Batoche

Louis Riel: traitor, villain, hero.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

zapplez posted:

I'm more concerned by this AARC organization that doesn't do vulnerable sector checks on its workers. That is hosed. Especially considering they have been accused of sexual assault before.
Rehab/addiction treatment centres are insanely deregulated in Canada, especially Alberta. BC is slightly better but also really bad. Pretty much any rear end in a top hat can do it, and they can make a lot of money.

Jason Kenney's brother, David Kenney, operated an unlicensed "treatment centre" in BC where he and his wife allegedly verbally abused patients, denied them access to their belongings and medications, and locked at least one of them outside in freezing weather as a punishment for complaining. In marketing materials the centre advertised itself as using something called "brainwave optimization" to "harmonize the brains" of patients which it claimed could cure a variety of psychiatric ailments.

CBC posted:

Three families are suing a private youth treatment centre in Kelowna claiming their children were mistreated and bullied before being abruptly removed from the home by the provincial government.

The NeurVana Recovery and Wellness Centre advertises the use of advanced neuro-technology to "harmonize the brains" of the youths it treats.

The province says the facility was operating without a license.

Documents filed by the families in B.C. Supreme Court allege owners David and Susan Kenney told them NeurVana was a licensed and qualified residential care facility for teenagers struggling with diagnosed psychological conditions, including depression and drug addiction.

Sandra Colquhoun of Burnaby, one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit, says she hoped NeurVana could help her 16-year-old son overcome his marijuana addiction. She says she was told it could also help him with a wide range of psychological issues.

"You know if he had any other anxiety issues or self-esteem issues, they said they most definitely could help with them."

Her family paid $20,000 for a three-week stay.

Two weeks later government officials told her to come pick up her son. NeurVana was being closed for not having a license.

"I was really concerned about my son and from there I found out what happened to him, what he had been through and he was very traumatized."

Colquhoun says her son lost 20 pounds while at NeurVana and was threatened and ridiculed.

Another family, who paid $25,000 for their daughter's care, allege in court documents their daughter felt as if she was in a prison, and was not allowed to access her belongings or phone home.

A third family says they also paid $25,000 only to have their daughter suffer a panic attack after she was bullied and denied her prescription medication for depression.

A former patient who became a counsellor at NeurVana has also come forward to share her story. Danielle Downs spent nearly four weeks at the Kelowna youth treatment centre two years ago.

During that time Downs says she found the owners David and Susan Kenney manipulative and verbally abusive. She says she left when David Kenney said insulting things about her parents and accused her of inappropriate relations with another counsellor.

"I originally thought I trusted them. That's why I agreed to go. I felt used and I was really hurt. They are just...I've never seen anything like that and it took a while to recover as you can see."

David Kenney, is the brother of federal Employment Minister Jason Kenney.

Toronto Sun posted:

NeurVana Innovative Recovery and Wellness in Kelowna, B.C., run by David Kenney and his wife Susan, purports to help kids with drug addiction, depression and psychological issues. It bills itself online as being "officially recognized by the province of British Columbia."

Not so, says the provincial government, which closed the centre in December for operating without a license.
Government officials informed parents their kids would have to go home.
[...]
A Burnaby, B.C., family, who paid NeurVana $18,300, said their son lost 20 pounds in three weeks because he was relentlessly mocked, threatened and forbidden from contacting his family.

A Glenn Williams, Ont., family, who paid $25,280, said their daughter was bullied, forbidden from calling home and was once locked outside in sub-zero temperatures.

"She was prevented access to the residence despite stating five or six times that she was extremely cold, she had no socks, and her feet were wet and freezing,"
the lawsuit reads.

"When refusing her entry to the residence, one of the defendants threatened to take her to a psychiatric ward."

A Maple Ridge, B.C., family, who paid $25,280, said their daughter "felt as if she was in a prison" and was denied her prescription anti-depressants.
[...]
NeurVana says it uses a technique called "Brainwave Optimization" which it says can cure "addiction, depression, anxiety, PTSD, ADHD, self-destructive behaviour, rage and anger, eating disorders, and more."

"High-tech EEG sensors are used to read brain activity. Stereo headphones then feed the brain’s wave patterns back in the form of gentle sounds," the site reads. "As the brain picks up on the sounds that are transmitted to it, changes in the neural network begin to occur."

Basically off-brand Scientology. Disgusting.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 8, 2019

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

infernal machines posted:

Well, if he's allowed out on probation presumably the courts feel he has sufficiently paid his debt/reformed such that he can again enter society. I mean, you can disagree with the court's findings, but I think that's the assumption.

I guess what needs clarification for most people is that even if you are out of prison you are still paying your debt while on probation. Because you can be yanked back in if you do any dumb stuff or violate your parole conditions.

Plus it is typical of most people's sentences to be 2/3rds served in prison and the last 1/3rd served on parole.

But looking at his sentence from the news article I'm surprised he got parole after 7 years, when murder usually has an ineligibility period of 10+

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Chillyrabbit posted:

But looking at his sentence from the news article I'm surprised he got parole after 7 years, when murder usually has an ineligibility period of 10+

Turns out the 3/5ths compromise applies up here too

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Pinterest Mom posted:

That’s not my read! She’s probably the source on the G&M story, has decided not to run again, and is keeping mum to keep the story alive longer and to prevent JT from firing her without looking like an rear end in a top hat.

I fully agree that this is the most likely read based on what she's doing so far.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

My man :love:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Big Changus owns.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
What are the chances the NDP or Greens adopt Green New Deal before the Election? Who would be likely to mean it more?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chillyrabbit posted:

I guess what needs clarification for most people is that even if you are out of prison you are still paying your debt while on probation. Because you can be yanked back in if you do any dumb stuff or violate your parole conditions.

Plus it is typical of most people's sentences to be 2/3rds served in prison and the last 1/3rd served on parole.

His sentence actually was life without parole for 10 years but for some reason he was granted it early anyway. Technically he's only on day parole which is maybe why it was granted early but yeah it doesn't look great for the justice system to grant him early parole, no matter how well behaved he is, because it kind of sends the signal that murder isn't as bad if the victim is a minority/sex worker.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Well that's pretty refreshing TBH.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Cheshire Cat posted:

it kind of sends the signal that murder isn't as bad if the victim is a minority/sex worker.

I mean this is actually true in the Canadian justice system, can't fault em for sending an honest signal for once.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

What are the chances the NDP or Greens adopt Green New Deal before the Election? Who would be likely to mean it more?

The NDP is only now starting to vocalize a more aggressive left wing populist message speaking out against billionaires and extreme wealth inequality and such so I don't we see it coming this election. We really are at least a few years behind the states in all our political messaging. I don't see this type of pledge from the NDP at least until people see how it plays out in 2020 for the Dems

I have no idea about the Greens so I can't comment on what they'll do. Might vote for them though if Singh keeps playing milquetoast social democrat

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

With Singh and May in charge it's very unlikely either of them will do so.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Even Kamala Harris and Cory Booker can at least pretend to support something called a Green New Deal. What happened to this country, remember when we used to pretend we were more left wing then Americans?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Man I’ve spent the last 2 weeks in Europe and I have no idea why I even bother living in Canada anymore.

We work long hours for a pittance so we can live in shoebox apartments, eat crappy tasteless food that is also very expensive and we pay extortionate prices for the privilege. For what? So we can run a hamster wheel for our entire lives and never actually enjoy them? So we can live 8 months of the year indoors in total darkness because the weather is loving garbage?

First chance I get I’m putting in for a transfer to my company’s Spanish offices.
Just the difference in cost of living alone would let me live like a king on my salary. It’s loving ridiculous how cheap (and higher quality) the food is here. And prices haven’t risen for like 5 years.

I could rent a luxury apartment for like half the price mine costs in the middle of nowhere in Etobicoke.

Despite the availability of significantly cheaper alcohol (2.50 euro for a bottle of wine anyone?) I’ve only had maybe 2 drinks in 16 days. I haven’t been that dry on alcohol since I was a teenager.

Seriously gently caress Toronto. The entire city is a scam.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 8, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I was robo-polled by Ekos today. They asked me about who I voted for and who I might vote for next time etc., then get to the real questions. How do I feel about the direction of the country? What economic class do I identify with? How do I feel about inequality? Do I think serious inequality in Canada could lead to violent class conflict in the future? Is the rise of populism mostly motivated by inequality, xenophobia, or both?

Always interesting to see what the pollsters are asking.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Helsing posted:

I was robo-polled by Ekos today. They asked me about who I voted for and who I might vote for next time etc., then get to the real questions. How do I feel about the direction of the country? What economic class do I identify with? How do I feel about inequality? Do I think serious inequality in Canada could lead to violent class conflict in the future? Is the rise of populism mostly motivated by inequality, xenophobia, or both?

I got that one too, they actually provided "working class" as an option for your economic class so I want to see the results there.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
No surprise that apparently liberal douchebag extraordinaire gerry butts is behind this snc lavelin scam

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

Big Changus owns.

Will be very happy if "Big Changus" becomes a thing.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Surprised they asked a question about populism considering about 95% of Canadians dont know its meaning.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Kraftwerk posted:

Man I’ve spent the last 2 weeks in Europe and I have no idea why I even bother living in Canada anymore.

We work long hours for a pittance so we can live in shoebox apartments, eat crappy tasteless food that is also very expensive and we pay extortionate prices for the privilege. For what? So we can run a hamster wheel for our entire lives and never actually enjoy them? So we can live 8 months of the year indoors in total darkness because the weather is loving garbage?

First chance I get I’m putting in for a transfer to my company’s Spanish offices.
Just the difference in cost of living alone would let me live like a king on my salary. It’s loving ridiculous how cheap (and higher quality) the food is here. And prices haven’t risen for like 5 years.

I could rent a luxury apartment for like half the price mine costs in the middle of nowhere in Etobicoke.

Despite the availability of significantly cheaper alcohol (2.50 euro for a bottle of wine anyone?) I’ve only had maybe 2 drinks in 16 days. I haven’t been that dry on alcohol since I was a teenager.

Seriously gently caress Toronto. The entire city is a scam.

Seems like a pretty good deal being white and bringing wealth from overseas. How loving tone deaf are you?

Spain is really nice but it's not some utopia and life is real poo poo there for a lot of people. Maybe pull your head out of your rear end and find some joy in your life instead of blaming it all on your locale. There's a lot you can do during the winter other than be a sad sack of poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I see the winter blues are hitting the thread nice and evenly.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Update on the ol' let's bring a murderer to talk about addiction. President of the Teachers Association officially canceled and had a decent apology as far as they go.

quote:

I have reviewed the concerns expressed about Andy Evans speaking at the Calgary City Teachers’ Convention and last night I contacted the convention organizers and we agreed to cancel the session.

I want to reiterate what we have said all along: Mr Evans committed a violent and heinous act and we do not condone his actions in any way. We also continue to express sincere condolences to the family and friends of Nicole Parisien.

To the family of Nicole: We are sorry for the additional hurt this story has caused.

I also want to express sincere regret for the impacts this story has had on survivors of sexual violence and on the family and loved ones of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.

We became aware late last week that the session being offered by the Alberta Adolescent Recovery Centre included a speaker that had been convicted of murder. The Association has long supported mental health initiatives in the school and community and recognizes the devastating impact that addiction has on the lives of so many Albertans. The decision was made to continue with the session in hopes that by sharing the story, future tragedies could be prevented. That decision was wrong.

The message sent over the past few days does not align with the Association’s values. Alberta’s teachers are allies in supporting survivors and combating sexual violence. We are committed to reconciliation, learning from and supporting Indigenous peoples across this land. We want justice for missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls. I am sorry for this mistake. We are committed to reviewing practices so this does not happen again. We will do better.

In recognition of this commitment, we will be making a $5,000 donation to the Stardale Women's Group in honour of Nicole Parisien.

- Greg Jeffery, President

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There's a ton of loving things you can do in the winter instead of moping in your dumb gently caress apartment.

Learn to skate.

Go see shows.

Get some decent food over warm drinks.

Buy a cheap toboggan and go hit up a hill.

Dress warm and go for a goddamn walk.

Yeah, it feels GREAT to be on vacation. I was in Dominican in November doing gently caress all for a week but I would NOT give it up for living here. Is this your first vacation ever? Get back to reality because Europeans aren't in some goddamn utopia. You're a freakin tourist.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

There's a ton of loving things you can do in the winter instead of moping in your dumb gently caress apartment.

Learn to skate.

Go see shows.

Get some decent food over warm drinks.

Buy a cheap toboggan and go hit up a hill.

Dress warm and go for a goddamn walk.

Yeah, it feels GREAT to be on vacation. I was in Dominican in November doing gently caress all for a week but I would NOT give it up for living here. Is this your first vacation ever? Get back to reality because Europeans aren't in some goddamn utopia. You're a freakin tourist.

There's a lot you can do in the winter! On one hand, there's worse versions of summer activities. On the other hand, there's garbage that nobody unironically wants to do.

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 8, 2019

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

shh nobody mention catalonia

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Seriously if you stay inside all winter after work - that's your own drat fault. Stop whining like a loving pissbaby.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/coalition-avenir-quebec-immigration-bill-1.5009402

18,000 Quebec Skilled Worker applications were thrown in the trash yesterday, including mine which I submitted back in September 2017. At least I have backup options, my employer is already sponsoring a work visa for me in case my current "working holiday" one expired. The downside is I'm now wed to my employer, and my visa will be very specific to my job, but I like it here anyway.

I was actually able to skate by with nil points in French under the old system, as my work experience was enough to carry me through. Will find out soon if I can limbo under that bar in this new system, or if I need to pay up for better classes than the ones I'm currently taking.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vintersorg posted:

Seriously if you stay inside all winter after work - that's your own drat fault. Stop whining like a loving pissbaby.

My work is outdoors, so drat right I'm staying inside once I'm done with it. But I do agree that people need to stop whining about winter weather. Get some nice warm clothes, get out there and do whatever.

The only thing I'm going to moan about on that front is that it's surprisingly hard to find good cold-weather gloves. It turns out that the expensive gear at SportChek and whatever is garbage, and what you need to look for are heavy-duty work gloves and the sorts of gloves they sell at PetroCan, and they're pretty drat cheap. Who knew?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

gently caress you I'm moving to the utopia of Spain with its 15% unemployment and delicious food, only some of which comes from greenhouses staffed by undocumented immigrants exposed to harsh working conditions with minimal recourse. Of course Ontarians shouldn't throw stones in green houses since we do the same poo poo so maybe that's why Spain feels like home.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

There is a reason we need an international leftism to counter the neoliberal collapse.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A Normal Person: Hey, I'm visiting [Place] and it's pretty nice!

Joyless Canpol Goons: gently caress YOU!!! [Place] has problems too, how dare you like it?!

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea that's exactly what he posted, you pathetic loving tool. He certainly didn't specifically talk about how that other place was a paradise compared to Canada and how everything rules there and sucks here.

Not that I would argue Canada is any good compared to most other nations, but it sure does show off a rich white people kind of attitude when you go visit somewhere for a couple weeks and get to ignore the presence of all the gross poor/nonwhite people and then pretend like everyone has it as good as you had it in your rich white person vacation.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Do your Spanish coworkers have the same live like a king income? All of my professional associates in Europe tend to make a lot less & have less buying power than we do in CAN/US - if you look at salaries for engineers, tradesmen and some other professional jobs you'll see annual incomes that are 1/3 to 1/2 of here. The US is probably still the best to be top 20% in income brackets, Europe to be bottom 20% and Canada is a weird medium.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PT6A posted:

A Normal Person: Hey, I'm visiting [Place] and it's pretty nice!

Joyless Canpol Goons: gently caress YOU!!! [Place] has problems too, how dare you like it?!

Bullshit and you know it.

I see this all the time from people on vacation.

Yeah, life would be loving awesome when you have money and no work, where you can just lounge at the beach all day in sunny weather.

I am sure the people serving your stale bread are LOVING LIFE.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

flakeloaf posted:

shh nobody mention catalonia

it's déjà vu all over again

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, life would be loving awesome when you have money and no work, where you can just lounge at the beach all day in sunny weather.

Yes and no. I mean, obviously the view of what life is like when you're on vacation is different from what it's like when you're living in a place and working, but at the same time sometimes it's nice to visit or live in a country that just has a different set of problems than the ones you've been dealing with personally for a long time. We're not talking about people coming back from some repressive, poor, tropical place here -- Spain is a first world country, and while it has significant problems, it is perfectly conceivable that someone could move there, hold a job there, and enjoy their life.

Imagine someone coming from, say, Japan and thinking "hmm, Canada is nice and I love all the open space, I think I'd like to move there." Would you yell at them about the opioid crisis and the living conditions in isolated First Nations communities? Those are obviously significant problems, but I mean if the existence of societal problems means you're unwilling to live in a place, enjoy moving to... nowhere.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vintersorg posted:

What's the "I'm moving to Spain!" version of white girls coming back from Jamaican vacations with corn rows?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Vintersorg posted:

They aren't, but when you live in a world where you can't afford a house, the idea of exploiting differences of cost of living to gently caress off to a warm place where you can get property and/or a business off the ground for for way less start up cost gets kinda tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Lol let's be clear. It was not a "hey I am enjoying Spain. It's nice to get away sometimes. I wish we could emulate some of their culture around work life balance and food" post, which is cool and good.

It was a straight "I have no friends and I'm an alcoholic.. not because I'm a toxic mess, but because everyone around me is the worst. In fact, this whole country is garbage!
Why, if I moved to another country where people are less bad I'm sure everything would turn around for me!" post