Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Fruity20 posted:

so why is that superheroes have this need to save the world or something? What about ones who dick around and use their powers for trivial things.

I liked Judd Winick’s Josie Mac, a Gotham City police detective with the minor superpower of being able to find lost things (or people.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Mister Mind posted:

I liked Judd Winick’s Josie Mac, a Gotham City police detective with the minor superpower of being able to find lost things (or people.)

That formed the basis of an Astro City arc too I think. The one with the lady who had minor illusion powers and used them for Hollywood special effects.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Did they ever explain the "there are three Jokers" thing from Metron's chair?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dillbag posted:

There's a 3-part story from Johns and Fabok coming out this year that is meant to explain it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dillbag posted:

Nope. But it’s only been nearly four years since he asked the question and almost three since we heard the answer so maybe don’t be in such a hurry!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1079843323987271682?s=19

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Regardless of who came first, and even if DC is in the right, as soon as the movies kicked off and these things entered the general public conciousness, it became irrelevant. DC releasing a movie called Captain Marvel at this point would be like Burger King releasing a burger called the 'Flame-grilled McDonald'

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
What's the weirdest/most original/bizarre power you've read about in comics? Maybe I'm just a bit tired of 'punches really hard' and 'shoots lazers', but I personally love reading about powers that are so out there it keeps you up at night with existential questions about how the gently caress these people function. Forget-me-not would be a good example, or the guy with two sentient worms that follow him around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

What's the weirdest/most original/bizarre power you've read about in comics? Maybe I'm just a bit tired of 'punches really hard' and 'shoots lazers', but I personally love reading about powers that are so out there it keeps you up at night with existential questions about how the gently caress these people function. Forget-me-not would be a good example, or the guy with two sentient worms that follow him around.

I once picked up a book a dude self published about a dude who had the "powers" of a rat.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Is Captain America still a nazi / 2 caps? What's the TLDR from that storyline to now? Would I want to get back into it because cap as a nazi totally turned me off all things marvel.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not the most original because there are several characters who possess this power but the power of good luck always seemed very strange to me because their lives don't seem appreciably better than any other character despite being able to (supposedly) always win at life.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lobok posted:

It's not the most original because there are several characters who possess this power but the power of good luck always seemed very strange to me because their lives don't seem appreciably better than any other character despite being able to (supposedly) always win at life.

in Longshot's case, his luck power only works when he's using it for the benefit of other people so he can't really just make his life better through luck

everyone else though, they're balanced out by the terminal unluckiness that comes with being a comic book character. :v:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Where's the modern pages of this guy?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

Is Captain America still a nazi / 2 caps? What's the TLDR from that storyline to now? Would I want to get back into it because cap as a nazi totally turned me off all things marvel.

Not a nazi, still two.

TLDR Nick Spencer is a lovely writer.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pretty much most of the Technet from Excalibur - like Joyboy, who is a tiny alien babyman in a flying chair whose power is to grant you your "true desire" but with an ironic twist by physically transforming your body somehow.

He uses this power to be an interplanetary bounty hunter, naturally.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alaois posted:

in Longshot's case, his luck power only works when he's using it for the benefit of other people

This just raises more questions!

Like, is Longshot arguing with his X-gene over ethical questions? To paraphrase The Good Place, "this is why nobody likes moral philosophy powers".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

Like, is Longshot arguing with his X-gene over ethical questions? To paraphrase The Good Place, "this is why nobody likes moral philosophy powers".

Does Longshot have an X-gene? I don't think he's human; Mojo grew him in a vat or something.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lobok posted:

Longshot isn't a mutant, he's from the Mojoverse. his powers work that way because Mojo thought it'd be funny/make for good ratings

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Back in the 80s he mistakenly thought he was a mutant, and so did the X-Men, so it's reasonably easy to get confused.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he's also the clone of his own son, Shatterstar.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Android Blues posted:

Back in the 80s he mistakenly thought he was a mutant, and so did the X-Men, so it's reasonably easy to get confused.

Not confused, I just don't know the X-Men universe very well.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In retrospect, poor Dazzler got close to a Ms. Marvel-type rap in that storyline. It's definitely not as bad, but it's reminiscent of the whole deal with Marcus.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Snowflame. Gains pyrokinesis, super strength and speed, and immunity to pain when he's high on coke. DC villain.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Flex Mentallo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flex_Mentallo

quote:

Flex can affect reality by flexing his muscles, in a reverse form of mind over matter. In the most extreme exertion of his power, he was able to transform the Pentagon into a circular building for a brief moment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's the main characters in Sex Criminals, who stop time when they cum.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I always like color control. There are a few people who can do it, and it’s even more exciting when they can’t cheat like turning things the color “invisible”.

Heroes or villains who can change one letter in words are cool in comics about reading. I feel it be really annoying in “real comics”, where they can turn health into wealth or mope into pope or something.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Did anyone ever watch Misfits in the UK? That show was a gold mine for weird rear end powers.

There was the guy who controlled dairy
The guy who could take away your power by having sex with you
The gorilla who turned into a human
The human who turned into a turtle
(Second guy once tried to figure out the logistics of how to turn the turtle back into a human....yeah)
I loved that show

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

In DC's Silverblade, the protagonist was an elderly actor who could turn into any role he'd ever played in the past (which included swashbuckling heroes and 50's SF/horror monsters).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

When it comes to original powers, you pretty much have to go to The Legion of Superheroes. You've got Matter Eater Lad who actually made it on the team. But the real gems are the people who don't make the team since the Legion had regular try outs and we got to see who didn't make it. People like Arms Fall Off Lad (whose powers were exactly what they said), Fortress Boy (whose power was to turn into the Legion's headquarters which he did and then had his brain erased), or X Bomb Betty who could generate a world shattering nuclear explosion... once. And some of the people who weren't good enough for the Legion still hung out together and formed their own group of Substitute Heroes that included Infectuous Lass whose power was to be a living disease vector for everything.

Golden Bee posted:

I always like color control. There are a few people who can do it, and it’s even more exciting when they can’t cheat like turning things the color “invisible”.

What about turning green kryptonite into blue kryptonite? Which Color Kid, yet another Legion character, did to a radioactive cloud surrounding the earth.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Everyone in Mystery Men.

Random Stranger posted:

X Bomb Betty who could generate a world shattering nuclear explosion... once.

How do you find out you have this power?

(reminds me of Jessica Jones (I think) saying she doesn't know if she's bullet proof because how would she find out, stand in front of a gun and hope?)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Everyone's favorite character Rockslide has the power to blow himself up which is weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Everyone's favorite character Rockslide has the power to blow himself up which is weird.

You spelled AWESOME wrong.

But he's hardly the first to have that power. Nitro, the Human Bomb etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I thought Rockslide was just made of rock and could reform. His most famous explosion involved Gambit charging him up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Random Stranger posted:

Fortress Boy (whose power was to turn into the Legion's headquarters which he did and then had his brain erased)

hosed up

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Selachian posted:

In DC's Silverblade, the protagonist was an elderly actor who could turn into any role he'd ever played in the past (which included swashbuckling heroes and 50's SF/horror monsters).

That's actually pretty creative.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Damnit, I was trying to find the DC character who had a face in his torso but I can't find anything about him. I swear he exists. I think he even hit on Donna Troy or Starfire in a creepy way.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Madkal posted:

Damnit, I was trying to find the DC character who had a face in his torso but I can't find anything about him. I swear he exists. I think he even hit on Donna Troy or Starfire in a creepy way.

Arnim Zola had a face in his torso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted: