Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Azerban posted:

it's déjà vu all over again

Every loving year February hits and someone goes to Spain and we get the same thing.

Also OP lives in Etobicoke, so their disdain for "Toronto" is understandable if misguided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Math You posted:

Lol let's be clear. It was not a "hey I am enjoying Spain. It's nice to get away sometimes. I wish we could emulate some of their culture around work life balance and food" post, which is cool and good.

It was a straight "I have no friends and I'm an alcoholic.. not because I'm a toxic mess, but because everyone around me is the worst. In fact, this whole country is garbage!
Why, if I moved to another country where people are less bad I'm sure everything would turn around for me!" post

Excuse me, you can't just quote me like that

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Oh my god shut up all of you.

Can we get back to being depressed about how we’re going to have a Conservative majority government run by Andrew goddamn Scheer this October?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Entropic posted:

Can we get back to being depressed about how we’re going to have a Conservative majority government run by Andrew goddamn Scheer this October?

Why don't you move to Spain about it?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vintersorg posted:

I am sure the people serving your stale bread are LOVING LIFE.

Life is so unnerving for a servant who's not serving!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

Why don't you move to Spain about it?

I hear their food is almost as good as you get at The Keg

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Entropic posted:

I'm much more convinced we'll only have a weakened Trudeau government (that Doug Ford will then come along, unite the right, and smash in the next election).

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I almost think we need some targeted toxic masculinity to shame and bully all the no necks out of politics. Scheer, Kenney and Ford are all repulsive slobs, and it's a shame we can't take their lunch money or push them into lockers.

Like if you think about it, it's a lot like chemotherapy. Sometimes you need to apply a nasty treatment to particular cancers?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:kiss: Thread title.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I may have been a little overzealous with my original post.
Yes. Spain has its problems. But like one of the other posters said sometimes it’s fun to trade one set of problems for another or explore the idea of a different set of living circumstances.

I should underline that I do have friends and my life isn’t a disaster. But I’ve been so frustrated with cost of living and certain circumstances that when my family finally insisted I take a vacation from my stressful job I felt like I had an escape.

Still- climatewise I’d prefer Spain hands down. And if I can secure a transfer I would happily explore the opportunity just to get away for a bit and do something else.

That said you guys went way too hard with the whole rich white person schtick. Spain has the same problems any other country has but its still a 1st world country that delivers a reasonable quality of life.

There is absolutely no reason to get belligerent and poo poo on everything the moment someone is having a good time. The entire thing could have been explained more politely.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 8, 2019

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DynamicSloth posted:

I'm much more convinced we'll only have a weakened Trudeau government (that Doug Ford will then come along, unite the right, and smash in the next election).

I'm getting angry at just the thought of people voting Ford for Prime Minister.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Kraftwerk posted:

Yes. Spain has its problems. But like one of the other posters said sometimes it’s fun to trade one set of problems for another or explore the idea of a different set of living circumstances.

I should underline that I do have friends and my life isn’t a disaster. But I’ve been so frustrated with cost of living and certain circumstances that when my family finally insisted I take a vacation from my stressful job I felt like I had an escape.

Still- climatewise I’d prefer Spain hands down. And if I can secure a transfer I would happily explore the opportunity just to get away for a bit and do something else.

That said you guys went way too hard with the whole rich white person schtick. Spain has the same problems any other country has but its still a 1st world country that delivers a reasonable quality of life.

There is absolutely no reason to get belligerent and poo poo on everything the moment someone is having a good time. The entire thing could have been explained more politely.

Wasn’t PT6A on the Spain and Cigar train a couple years ago?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

PT6A posted:

A Normal Person: Hey, I'm visiting [Place] and it's pretty nice!

Joyless Canpol Goons: gently caress YOU!!! [Place] has problems too, how dare you like it?!

This is basically SA.txt.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really like Paris and want to move there. It’s probably my favourite city, recognizing that I’ve only been to Western Europe and NA and the have a limited view.

But like, that doesn’t mean France is better than Canada. It’s just different. Better in some ways, worse in others.

This thread is full of people who hate themselves and their lives and going somewhere else won’t fix that problem.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just wish more countries could swallow their pride and learn from others. Take aspects that work and do them here. Take Vienna's housing model, take dutch bike infrastructure, take the Soviet Union's liquidation of the capital class. You don't need to ape the entire country, don't need Austrian racism or weird accents to learn from their social housing, don't need the Dutch's love of blackface and charging money to take a piss to build good bike lanes, and so on.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cowofwar posted:

Wasn’t PT6A on the Spain and Cigar train a couple years ago?

I still am, Spain is a nice place even when you're not just on vacation. I'd consider moving there at some point, but it's not particularly easy to find a job now that I've mostly switched out of self-employment. I'll probably go back for another vacation there in a year or two.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

Man I’ve spent the last 2 weeks in Europe and I have no idea why I even bother living in Canada anymore.

We work long hours for a pittance so we can live in shoebox apartments, eat crappy tasteless food that is also very expensive and we pay extortionate prices for the privilege. For what? So we can run a hamster wheel for our entire lives and never actually enjoy them? So we can live 8 months of the year indoors in total darkness because the weather is loving garbage?

First chance I get I’m putting in for a transfer to my company’s Spanish offices.
Just the difference in cost of living alone would let me live like a king on my salary. It’s loving ridiculous how cheap (and higher quality) the food is here. And prices haven’t risen for like 5 years.

I could rent a luxury apartment for like half the price mine costs in the middle of nowhere in Etobicoke.

Despite the availability of significantly cheaper alcohol (2.50 euro for a bottle of wine anyone?) I’ve only had maybe 2 drinks in 16 days. I haven’t been that dry on alcohol since I was a teenager.

Seriously gently caress Toronto. The entire city is a scam.

Kraftwerk posted:

Sorry, I couldn't find a good onion article about grasping for but ultimately failing to reach self-awareness so you get this one instead.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Perhaps we should create a CanPol 'mulligan' rule where you are allowed one post per year (or month in winter) where you scream into the void without penalty

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Tochiazuma posted:

Perhaps we should create a CanPol 'mulligan' rule where you are allowed one post per year (or month in winter) where you scream into the void without penalty

That’d be nice. I have a pretty good track record here. I figure I can use my mulligan this time. Certainly felt good to vent.

You guys got more attractive targets to dunk on anyway. A guy on a vacation high isn’t that interesting. We all have our struggles with modern life and want a way out sometimes. Better it be travel to a warmer climate than suicide, self harm or drugs. Besides. I recognize I ruffled a few feathers for some people who genuinely love Toronto and what it has to offer and have not yet given up on it yet. One emotional outburst from a frustrated office worker shouldn’t be such a big deal.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Kraftwerk posted:

Hablas Espaniol though? Personally, I'd choose Portugal like* the Brits, they are clearly onto something. Oh Portugal is all about :420: so you have WEED parity.

fake e: I'm going to skate on the grass at the park tomorrow :canada:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 8, 2019

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

Hablas Espaniol though? Personally, I'd choose Portugal the the Brits, they are clearly onto something. Oh Portugal is all about :420: so you have WEED parity

You prefer Portugese to Spanish? I find I struggle with Portugese compared to Spanish.

Lisbon is gorgeous though. Nice thing about the EU is you can pretty much go anywhere within the EU for 40 euro on a low cost airline. All the brits basically spend their retirement years in the Iberian peninsula while the younger people go on holiday to the Baleric islands.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

You prefer Portugese to Spanish? I find I struggle with Portugese compared to Spanish.

Lisbon is gorgeous though. Nice thing about the EU is you can pretty much go anywhere within the EU for 40 euro on a low cost airline. All the brits basically spend their retirement years in the Iberian peninsula while the younger people go on holiday to the Baleric islands.

My comparison would be Quebecois French versus Parisian French, where Portuguese is like Quebecois. I know they're saying words and there's a flicker of recognition there, but I'll be damned if I can make it out.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Is there some small island that speaks English that I can sit on the beach and drink myself to death just as the seas levels rise and drown me at the same time cause that's my retirement plan right now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is there some small island that speaks English that I can sit on the beach and drink myself to death just as the seas levels rise and drown me at the same time cause that's my retirement plan right now.

Gulf islands? It's not all 5 million dollar "cabins" that see 2 weeks of use a week, lot of hippies and old stock islanders living pretty simple barter-based lives too.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

bunnyofdoom posted:

P much any island in Thailand and you're set

That's my plan. Buy a little place on Koh Tao and laugh at all the children coming from the full moon parties.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

There are some English-speaking Caribbean islands like Saint Kitts. Or the Bahamas if you're rich.

Alternate comedy option, the Florida Keys.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

infernal machines posted:

My comparison would be Quebecois French versus Parisian French, where Portuguese is like Quebecois. I know they're saying words and there's a flicker of recognition there, but I'll be damned if I can make it out.

Oooh I find that topic super interesting. Québécois French is what it sounded like in France around the 17th century. The European countries like France and Spain have official governing bodies that change the language and decide what’s correct. The colonies were disconnected from those changes and evolved on their own. It’s cool stuff. Every time I see someone from Quebec speaking French I feel like I’m simultaneously experiencing a piece of history AND a unique linguistic branching.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think Turks and Caicos are the preferred Canadian choice.

Kraftwerk posted:

Every time I see someone from Quebec speaking French I feel like I’m simultaneously experiencing a piece of history AND a unique linguistic branching.

I feel like I've been clubbed in the head with a piece of rebar. I should be able to understand them, but I don't. I didn't know that was the reason for the dialect split though, that makes a lot of sense.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 8, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Anyone who doesn't develop a pervasive low key contempt for Canadians after living abroad should be viewed with suspicion.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

barcelona has these octagonal intersections with dumpsters and trash piled up in the corners so cars can't see you crossing the road, felt like kind of a death trap to me

also it was smelly

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Helsing posted:

Anyone who doesn't develop a pervasive low key contempt for Canadians after living abroad should be viewed with suspicion.

Hell, I developed it after having to read your posts.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm only still in Canada because teaching English is poo poo and all the countries I would prefer to live in will be hit far, far worse by climate change

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hell, I developed it after having to read your posts.

Good.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Kraftwerk posted:

Oooh I find that topic super interesting. Québécois French is what it sounded like in France around the 17th century. The European countries like France and Spain have official governing bodies that change the language and decide what’s correct. The colonies were disconnected from those changes and evolved on their own. It’s cool stuff. Every time I see someone from Quebec speaking French I feel like I’m simultaneously experiencing a piece of history AND a unique linguistic branching.

Similarly, modern American is closer to Victorian English than what is currently spoken in England.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

TheCenturion posted:

Similarly, modern American is closer to Victorian English than what is currently spoken in England.

I've heard this before, but always in a smug "nah, gently caress you, we're using the language properly" way which makes my eyes roll so hard I develop vertigo. Is there actual proof to this, also to the quebecois thing?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Helsing posted:

This is true

But holy God are the Aussies and Saffers worse. They say the quiet racism very loud.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I've heard this before, but always in a smug "nah, gently caress you, we're using the language properly" way which makes my eyes roll so hard I develop vertigo. Is there actual proof to this, also to the quebecois thing?

Unreliable second hand info here, but I recall someone who seemed to know their stuff telling me that these claims are misleading at best and downright false at worse. Look at the linguistic variety in England and France in the 17th-19th centuries, "that's how they spoke in France in 1700" means absolutely nothing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hawai'i is the greatest place on earth - separate from the taint of American soil.

If I could i'd retire there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Helsing posted:

Self-deprecation isn't far off from self-loathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Hawai'i is the greatest place on earth - separate from the taint of American soil.

If I could i'd retire there.

Kaua'i is gorgeous and I love it.