Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Old spaghetti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

FnF posted:

Does Factorio handle multiple monitors at all? I just imagined what it would be like to have a second monitor permanently set to map-view, and it was amazing.

The only game I've ever known that did this is Supreme Commander.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

DoubleNegative posted:

Does anyone else use the production statistics monitor mod? And if so, is there a way to make it give a non-global breakdown? If you've decentralized your base, then seeing how many iron plates you're producing in total isn't very helpful.

For that matter, is there a mod that could show that sort of information?

This could be possible with circuits, and much simpler with bot nets. It wouldn't be perfect, like the production screen, but probably close enough.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Speaking of graphics:
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-281

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
When 0.17 comes out I am hoping to add a feature to Nuclear Locomotives that gives the locos appropriately-themed names when they're placed. The problem is, I've only got two so far:
Up And Atom
Mobile Chernobyl

Any other suggestions?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the Three Mile Train

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Four more:
Gone Fission
Fission Mailed
Fission A Barrel
Guided Fissile / Cruise Fissile

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Atomotrain

Names of Manhattan Project Scientists from https://www.atomicheritage.org/bios
Robert Oppenheimer
Katherine Way
Feynman
Niels Bohr
Fermi
Augusta Teller
Chien-Shiung Wu
Elaine Palevsky
Elda Anderson
Elizabeth Riddle Graves
and many more

from wikipedia:
Hans Bethe
John Van Vleck
Edward Teller
Emil Konopinski
Robert Serber
Stan Frankel
Eldred C. Nelson

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Utranium 238
Not a pun, but Enterprise could be a good one. USS Enterprise was the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier.
Desert Rock Express

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Demon Core Screwdriver
Banana Equivalent Train
Ouichi's Ambulance

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Oklomotive
H R Geiger / Giger Counter / something?
Power Excursion / Transient Excursion
Train Reaction
Critical Mass Transit
Article Accelerator
Express Splitter
Fast Fission
Transuranic Express
MOX Car / some other box/ox pun?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'll add non-joke names like some nuclear physicists, and terms like Beta Decay, etc too

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
These are excellent. Critical Mass Transit would make a good forums name.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I feel like there should be some kind of Marie Curie reference but I can't seem to come up with one.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I feel like there should be some kind of Marie Curie reference but I can't seem to come up with one.

The Marie Courier?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Slashrat posted:

The Marie Courier?

Yeah, that's a good one. Maybe take the o out and just make it The Marie Curier to make it more obvious?

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Peaceful Atom/Atom Mirny/Atoms for Peace
Gammator
Project Plowshare
Nuclear Explosions for the National Factory Economy :science:

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

FnF posted:

Does Factorio handle multiple monitors at all? I just imagined what it would be like to have a second monitor permanently set to map-view, and it was amazing.

Run second instance on another machine hooked up to monitor. Setup local server and connect with both machines. Leave second factorio man standing in a brick fortress away from wherever you build, use usb ‘switch’ when you want to move the map. The caveat is that the game will not pause when you have menus open.

So nerds, I am trying to setup a circuit system that will sound an alarm after something like 15 minutes but be able to reset it to 0 if a criteria is met. So basically keep counting seconds until the chests at a mine reach a certain amount then reset. The goal being to alarm if for whatever reason the chests are not being filled, most likely mine is dry. I already got the increment clicks into 1 second counter then turn that into minutes but cannot figure out how to store that value and reset it.

Anyone have a guide specifically on this or should I just go through circuit tutorials?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jeesis posted:

Run second instance on another machine hooked up to monitor. Setup local server and connect with both machines. Leave second factorio man standing in a brick fortress away from wherever you build, use usb ‘switch’ when you want to move the map. The caveat is that the game will not pause when you have menus open.

So nerds, I am trying to setup a circuit system that will sound an alarm after something like 15 minutes but be able to reset it to 0 if a criteria is met. So basically keep counting seconds until the chests at a mine reach a certain amount then reset. The goal being to alarm if for whatever reason the chests are not being filled, most likely mine is dry. I already got the increment clicks into 1 second counter then turn that into minutes but cannot figure out how to store that value and reset it.

Anyone have a guide specifically on this or should I just go through circuit tutorials?

Have an increment counter count up to (15 mins x60 sec x60 frames), multiplied by (is [chest amount] less than [value]), alarm when Counter > 15x60x60 logic-AND (chest amt < value)
I'm not a circuit-wizard so I can't give real specifics without poodling around with the circuits themselves :geno:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 8, 2019

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've found incrementers to be completely incompatible with UPS but you just need an incrementer circuit that passes the reset value for whatever condition you want to restart the count.

Look up an incrementer and they'll explain how to reset it, you want to reset it with your condition, or if you hit 15 minutes reset it and alarm.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
No puns, because I don't think some of the most absurd nuclear devices in history really warrant any.
Project Orion
Project Pluto

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

redleader posted:

No puns, because I don't think some of the most absurd nuclear devices in history really warrant any.
Project Orion
Project Pluto

Don't forget about my absolute favourite, Project PACER
Actually someone should mod that into the game, a nuclear reactor that runs on bombs.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Can you run smelters off atomic/rocket fuel? I'd guess yes since you can use solid fuel. Has anyone tried it?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

You lot coming up with nuclear-related names showcases just how creative you fuckers are, nice. I really can't wait for 0.17. I wanna binge on this game real bad, the only thing holding me off is knowing the update is right around the corner.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Nuke trains:

Trinity
Fat Man
Little Boy
Davey Crockett
Broken Arrow

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

The Nucular Funicular

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
The Tsar Bomba Express

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LLSix posted:

Can you run smelters off atomic/rocket fuel? I'd guess yes since you can use solid fuel. Has anyone tried it?

You can but it's actually less efficient. A chunk of solid fuel gives you 25 MJ. Rocket fuel costs ten chunks but gives you 225 MJ so you lose a chunk by burning it for fuel. Turning it into nuclear fuel gives you 1.21 GJ per U-235 which is way less efficient on your U-235 than by turning it into nuclear reactor juice and burning that. Each U-235 chunk makes a stack of 10 fuel cells which are 8 GJ each. For furnaces you're better off using coal or solid fuel.

What vehicles get from higher level fuel is more speed and faster acceleration.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is solid fuel'ing smelters particularly worth it over just upgrading to electric furnaces and making up the difference on power? (Since you could also just cram that fuel into boilers.) Just a preference for maintaining an existing smelter setup without dealing with the bulkier electric?

I always just like how electric furnaces liberate me from figuring out how the heck I'm going to layout smelters and worrying about ferrying fuel, but I need to get better at planing ahead / blueprinting a patternable layout.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

GotLag posted:

Any other suggestions?

From obscure reactor operation terminology that could probably be made to be actual train puns:
Express SCRAM
Random Axe Man
Steam Train Rupture
Outward Shim
Fast Recovery Startup
Train of Adding Heat
Loco IRPI
K-Effective
Fast Fission Fraction
Inconel For Days
Cobalt-60 Deposit
Neutron emrilittlement
Source Range Counts
Delayed Precursor Constant
Start Up Rate
Fast Leak
Resin Changeout
Core Degass

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

BadMedic posted:

Don't forget about my absolute favourite, Project PACER
Actually someone should mod that into the game, a nuclear reactor that runs on bombs.

:eyepop:

It's amazing how easily you could get funding back in the day for thinking of a new way of continually blowing up nukes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oxyclean posted:

Is solid fuel'ing smelters particularly worth it over just upgrading to electric furnaces and making up the difference on power? (Since you could also just cram that fuel into boilers.) Just a preference for maintaining an existing smelter setup without dealing with the bulkier electric?

I always just like how electric furnaces liberate me from figuring out how the heck I'm going to layout smelters and worrying about ferrying fuel, but I need to get better at planing ahead / blueprinting a patternable layout.

Honestly either works. Just using Steel furnaces is more fuel/pollution efficient unless you're running a heavy solar or nuclear setup but you'll always want to get more power anyways. And if you have nuclear, then power is basically free.

Though as you said, once you get Electric furnaces you lose the need to deal with fuel lines to your smelting setups. Also you gain the ability to use speed modules in your furnaces (though fun fact: steel furnaces can't equip modules but ARE affected by beacons).

It's really up to you. As is what you use as fuel. Solid fuel, rocket fuel, coal...telephone poles.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Jeesis posted:

The kind of circuit you're looking for is called a latch.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I hated routing fuel to furnaces so much I made the Electric Furnaces mod. The electric versions have the same power consumption as the regular ones, but due to boilers having only 50% efficiency you spend twice the coal to avoid the effort of fuelling the furnaces directly.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GotLag posted:

I hated routing fuel to furnaces so much I made the Electric Furnaces mod. The electric versions have the same power consumption as the regular ones, but due to boilers having only 50% efficiency you spend twice the coal to avoid the effort of fuelling the furnaces directly.

wait so they're exactly the same as current electric furnaces? :confused:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
They match the steel furnace, not the core electric furnace.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

necrotic posted:

They match the steel furnace, not the core electric furnace.

There are also electric stone furnaces!

Also the most important detail is being elided here: both fueled and electric steel furnaces have the same footprint so you can just upgrade them in place and leave your old coal belts not feeding anything, or set them up to drain and come back later to rip them out.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Evilreaver posted:

wait so they're exactly the same as current electric furnaces? :confused:

Nah they're electric drop in replacements for stone and steel furnaces. Normal electric furnaces are still supperior for their moduling ability.

Most importantly the Mod also adds Electric Furnace 2's and 3's, which can hold 3 and 4 modules respectively. So you get really compact beaconed smelting arrays. Heres 19,200 plate per minute, 8 blue belts:

(2560x1080 if you click through)

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
What are some good train related mods that match well with the core game and it's art without changing much?
I saw some new art sets for trains but most of them didn't seem to match up well with the rest of the games art. I just want more to do with trains / varied looking trains without messing up anything else

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So this is starting in 2 hours. Starts with Automation, Logistics, Turrets, and Military unlocked so we don't have to handcraft 10k red packs to get to assemblers. First few hours are going to be interesting in rushing to green science (but still needing 80k red packs to do so) and dealing with possibly hundreds of people online.

-------------

In other news I tried out the random recipes mod and whew. Played a bit of three different seeds, on default multipliers but with some other options enabled. The seed I settled on playing for an extended period had 4.4MW boilers and 877kW steam engines, for a ratio of (something close to) 2:5 (since boilers run at 50% efficiency). Resulting in this:

Green circuits take 1 plate, 3 wire, and 0.4 seconds. One plate makes 6 wire in 0.8 seconds, so it'll be a 1:1 machine ratio once I get up to that. But I also have randomized furnace speed and belt speed, so I'm working on the smelters now. After quick and dirty calculations I came up with 38 stone furnaces filling a yellow belt, but it will only take 34 steel furnaces to fill a red belt, so I'm building my furnace lines with 36 each.

Science: Reds take 4 copper plate and 1 gear, gears only take 1 iron plate but 2 seconds. Green science takes 3 seconds to make 2 packs, but takes 1 belt and 4 inserters. So that'll be fun to set up.

And then I decided to look ahead in the tech tree, to oil.

I might be here a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Roflex posted:

And then I decided to look ahead in the tech tree, to oil.

I might be here a while.
I'm not sure what you mean? That's absurdly more productive than the base game oil recipe.