Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
They should just spend that $250 on some brewing equipment and brew supplies. Then they could brew gallons for the price of a case of beer. Bam there you go, alcohol budget set at $15/month.

Don’t do this it’s a money pit the likes of which you’re never going to see a positive ROI. Much like reloading. (Why do all the funnest hobbies start out like I’m saving money but I never do?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

JRay88 posted:

They should just spend that $250 on some brewing equipment and brew supplies. Then they could brew gallons for the price of a case of beer. Bam there you go, alcohol budget set at $15/month.

Don’t do this it’s a money pit the likes of which you’re never going to see a positive ROI. Much like reloading. (Why do all the funnest hobbies start out like I’m saving money but I never do?)

There's cheaper things to brew than others, Korean rice beer makgeolli is cheap and tasty (if done right) and brews in under 2 weeks. It's an acquired taste, a bit like champagne, but does have a milky consistency that takes getting used to. It's hard to get cheaper than rice, yeast (nuruk), water, and a big clay pot.

For BWM, my mom recently replaced her hot water tank in her rental/soon-to-be-retirement house with an electric tankless system. Well, winter comes around, and the renters are complaining about cold showers. The heater isn't powerful enough to raise the cold-rear end ground water up to anything more than "tepid". Also there's not enough amperage running to the house to put in a more powerful heater, there's no gas line to the house, and the space for a water tank has been renovated away. The contractor is at least going to buy the old heater back, but now she has to either pay to run a bigger power line and buy a more powerful heater ($$$), run a gas line and get a gas heater ($$ and more maintenance), or, I dunno, stick a hot water tank in the kitchen. All because nobody checked if water gets colder in winter in Canada.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

JRay88 posted:

:homebrew: is throwing money in the air for a reason. When you start contemplating the second lagering fridge because the first one is full, it's time to run.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Trying to blackmail the world’s richest man and owner of the Washington Post: BWM.

Actually putting your blackmail demands in writing: very very BWM.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Trying to blackmail the world’s richest man and owner of the Washington Post: BWM.

Actually putting your blackmail demands in writing: very very BWM.

https://medium.com/@jeffreypbezos/no-thank-you-mr-pecker-146e3922310f

For those of you wondering. Here's hoping for some supervillian dick pics.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

:homebrew: is throwing money in the air for a reason. When you start contemplating the second lagering fridge because the first one is full, it's time to run.

At least you can brew more than once. Years ago I bought all the tools to build an AR and then built exactly one, such a waste.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

cross-postin' the good poo poo from elsewhere on the forums:

Sweet Custom Van posted:

So I had posted earlier about my friend’s parents’ small family restaurant and their...innovative approach to bookkeeping and tax filing. There’s a new and hilarious update.

A letter and business card was left by an IRS official who was trying to address the large balances owed. Apparently, after several years of asking for returns, the IRS just created returns for them (this is a common-ish process designed to encourage people to finally do their own taxes when confronted with giant bills based on the “substitute return”).

My friend’s dad decided to close the restaurant in response. What do you mean by close? Padlock the door, not show up to take delivery, and allow his few employees to show up at a workplace with a hastily-printed “permanently closed” sign stuck on the door.

Obviously, the employees took this poorly. One of them found another business card for the IRS agent, called them up, and dropped a couple hundred dollars’ worth of dimes. She then marched herself down to the state department of labor and did it again.

My friend’s dad appears to earnestly believe that none of this can possibly have any consequences for him going forward because “the restaurant doesn’t exist anymore”. This is his full defense and only plan.

My friend just made triple sure that his name isn’t on jack gently caress all and laughed all the way to the liquor store. He’s waiting on the “can you post bail?” call.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

sadus posted:

At least you can brew more than once. Years ago I bought all the tools to build an AR and then built exactly one, such a waste.

You didn't end up with a spare trigger or grip or detent pin? Those are AR15 Seeds baby

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Ahhh the pure stuff. This is what I like.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Going back to his earlier post about them, their bookkeeping consisted of throwing paper receipts in a box and their payroll consisted of multiplying hourly pay x hours and writing personal checks to the employees, who they claim are "contractors."

Yep, IRS and the state department of labor are going to turbofuck them.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Going back to his earlier post about them, their bookkeeping consisted of throwing paper receipts in a box and their payroll consisted of multiplying hourly pay x hours and writing personal checks to the employees, who they claim are "contractors."

Yep, IRS and the state department of labor are going to turbofuck them.

Yeah, this is the original post from a few months ago:

Sweet Custom Van posted:

So I have never worked in a real professional kitchen, other than a coffee/sandwich shop where I washed dishes in high school. I have loads of accounting and income tax experience, though, and as a favor to a friend I agreed to take a look at how his parents are doing their accounting for their small family restaurant.

It, uh, it turns out that they’re basically not. They have a box they throw receipts in and they write personal checks for payroll based on multiplying the hours on a handwritten paper time card by their hourly wage. There is no attempt to determine food cost, as far as I can tell, and they get around withholding for their employees by claiming they’re all contractors (super, super illegal, but the employees haven’t had a problem with it yet because no one in the joint is making enough money to risk an audit).

My friend and I recognize that this is way over our heads and his parents need professional help squaring this up, but the parents are insisting that there’s no real need to change and a professional would be “too expensive”. Do any of you have suggestions for how to pitch this better other than “how the gently caress do you not need to know how much it costs you to produce a plate of food”?

There's so much to unpack here. It's like a BWM treasure chest.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm sure the IRS is going to feel the same way.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Am I reading this right. One of the employees paid the IRS hundreds of dollars in back taxes for their employer?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dropping a dime is slang for informing the police about a crime. A couple hundred dollars worth of dimes would mean unloading everything she has seen in her time working there.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

Am I reading this right. One of the employees paid the IRS hundreds of dollars in back taxes for her employer?

I’m pretty sure he meant she sang like a bird about their lovely accounting and told the IRS everything they ever wanted to know.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

And then told the DOL about all of the employment law violations she saw.

In some states you're also required to give employees notice before a business shuts down, so bonus crimes committed there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A public pay phone used to cost ten cents. You dropped in a dime to make a call from a number that wasn't your home phone.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I grew up under a rock apparently. That makes a lot more sense.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mom uses credit card to "build sons credit" but actually for MLM...

https://www.reddit.com/r/antiMLM/comments/aohnkh/mom_opened_up_credit_card_in_my_brothers_name_for/

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

Am I reading this right. One of the employees paid the IRS hundreds of dollars in back taxes for their employer?

I always wondered what the Concorde sounded like as it flew overhead. :allears:

e: ^^^^ooooh, r/AntiMLM is a new subreddit to add to my list

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just wait until we're diamond in credit card fraud, hun.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
This came up in the Schadenfreude thread but I think it fits here too, especially after the update (and I couldn't see either in the last few pages)

(va) My son stole a rare toy from my brother. My brother is refusing to take it back and is threatening to get the police involved. What do I do?

quote:

<boring introduction> Well, until yesterday. My brother called me up furiously and told me my "little poo poo" stole something from his collection and I needed to return it immediately. I honestly was upset at this, but if my son had taken something that was wrong,especially if it was from my own brother. Well, it turns out that my son slipped away during dinner and took a Boba Fett figure from his collection. He confirmed it because he has footage from his porch camera of him taking it out to our car.

I was furious and took it from him. Here is the problem though, after I confirmed with my brother it was his I found out that my son had removed it from it's packaging. Apparently the figure is worth almost 2000$ in it's package and almost nothing out of it. So my brother broke down over the phone and refused to take it back before hanging up. Well, he just called me again today and said he wanted me to pay for a replacement immediately or he will get the police involved and sue me. I told him I would help pay for one but not fully to which he said "not good enough" and hung up.

Honestly, what are my options here? I can't afford to pay him back right now. If he does go the police will my son get arrested? He's only 15. It was very wrong of him to do but I think my brother is over reacting. What can I expect if he does take me to court or call the police?

Update, my son took the Boba Fett figure.

quote:

<snip boring> I had no idea what I was going to do and after talking with my wife, we decided we would take many of your advice and have my son pay him back. We collected all the non-essentials he had and planned to sell them to raise funds. During this time I got back into contact with my brother and wanted to talk this out to make sure this did not end badly. I offered to pay in full.
(Also, some people in the comments said that the figure was worth less so I asked him. He had it professionally valued a few months ago when he bought it and it's was worth a total of 2,200$.)
My brother said he plans to not sue us. His renters insurance apparently is willing to pay him the value he has listed, but he would need to file a police report to get it. At first we agreed not to go that route and simply pay him the value of it or one for a replacement if he could get it cheaper. This was the plan until last night.
During the process of taking his things away, my wife found a conversation he had with a friend he has over the internet. It turns out my son stole the figure to sell. He had googled it while we were at my brothers house and found out how much it was worth and bragged to a friend that he was going to sell it at a pawn shop. He didn't realize that taking it out of the package would ruin it so he ripped it out to hid in the car better.
Suffice to say, I am not happy about this. I won't elaborate on this very much more but me and my wife have decided that what is best for all of us is that we let him face the consequences of this. My brother is going to file a police report and collect money from insurance. Some may say this is a bit harsh, but honestly I think this might be for the best in the end. The way my son actively stole from family to make a profit worries me and I believe the only option that I can live with myself making is this. I will stand by my son till the need, but he needs to learn now before he is an adult.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

uvar posted:

This came up in the Schadenfreude thread but I think it fits here too, especially after the update (and I couldn't see either in the last few pages)

(va) My son stole a rare toy from my brother. My brother is refusing to take it back and is threatening to get the police involved. What do I do?

Update, my son took the Boba Fett figure.

Letting your child learn lessons from the US judicial system: Priceless.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Steal four figures from somebody and you should probably face criminal charges, blood relation or not.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Woah, parents letting their kid suffer the consequences of his crappy behaviour

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Enfys posted:

Woah, parents letting their kid suffer the consequences of his crappy behaviour

Usually the parents let really bad things slide. That brother is going to learn a hard lesson in addition to being a complete idiot taking it out of its packaging.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Steal four figures from somebody and you should probably face criminal charges, blood relation or not.

I would agree in the vacuum of a presumption of a functional and humane criminal justice system, but instead we have a system that chews up people and has no resemblance to justice. That kid is unlikely to wind up better off having gone through juvenile hall.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Leperflesh posted:

I would agree in the vacuum of a presumption of a functional and humane criminal justice system, but instead we have a system that chews up people and has no resemblance to justice. That kid is unlikely to wind up better off having gone through juvenile hall.

ACAB & also the criminal justice system is poo poo, etc., but the juvenile justice system is pretty functional apart from juvenile detention centers which have huge recidivism problems and are an incredible national shame. .

This particular kid would never go to juvie over this so gently caress him up with some restitution, counseling and community service.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Motronic posted:

The sheriff isn't "the police". It's actually their job to enforce civil judgements.
If you live outside an incorporated town or city, the sheriff's office may fill both roles. In some coterminous city/counties or home rule cities, the police may enforce civil judgements.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

ACAB & also the criminal justice system is poo poo, etc., but the juvenile justice system is pretty functional apart from juvenile detention centers which have huge recidivism problems and are an incredible national shame. .

This particular kid would never go to juvie over this so gently caress him up with some restitution, counseling and community service.

It sounds like you know more than I do about this so I'll defer to you, and just hope that kid learns an important life lesson however it comes about.

But also lol at his uncle who has many thousands invested in the star wars collectibles market, truly that is the BWM guy

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

It sounds like you know more than I do about this so I'll defer to you, and just hope that kid learns an important life lesson however it comes about.

But also lol at his uncle who has many thousands invested in the star wars collectibles market, truly that is the BWM guy
Also yeah the uncle absolutely sounds like a shithead that his reaction - the anger I get - is to threaten to sue. Like, my dude, that's your loving brother you're threatening. Chill the gently caress out before you explode at somebody you grew up with. I know people have poo poo families and all that but if they're on a, "hanging out together" basis then this ain't that. Uncle sounds like a shitlord too.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Hoodwinker posted:

Also yeah the uncle absolutely sounds like a shithead that his reaction - the anger I get - is to threaten to sue. Like, my dude, that's your loving brother you're threatening. Chill the gently caress out before you explode at somebody you grew up with. I know people have poo poo families and all that but if they're on a, "hanging out together" basis then this ain't that. Uncle sounds like a shitlord too.

He has Star Wars "Collectibles" so it's pretty obvious what kind of person he is.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SpartanIvy posted:

He has Star Wars "Collectibles" so it's pretty obvious what kind of person he is.

What’s his username?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Hoodwinker posted:

I believe he threatened that after the kid's dad refused to pay him.

Also, that kid is a dumbfuck. If you are a juvenile delinquent, you are supposed to make nice with your uncle that has disposable income so that once the rest of the family has given up on you he will come bail you out.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Honestly they should just put the kid down and start over.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

SpartanIvy posted:

A prudent investor?

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/aohvow/hi_this_morning_i_lost_172k_trading_options_on_my/

I'm really not sure how soaked this dumbass is or isn't but the post is a wild ride.

quote:

I posted this in the main wallstreetbets daily but was asked to create it's own post, which is why it says deleted. I deleted the post because I was concerned staff at robinhood would find out I owe them almost 200k and do something to prevent me from trading again. I was also concerned that the US government would use this to prevent me from getting credit in the future, using a screening tool not disclosed to the public.

lol wtf

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
IDGAF if it was a Star Wars toy or someone's heirloom ring, stealing poo poo is wrong and especially lovely when it's your own loving family. I'd turn my nephews over to the police if they pulled some poo poo like that on me (and their parents didn't offer full restitution like the OP story).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Barry posted:

A prudent investor?

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/aohvow/hi_this_morning_i_lost_172k_trading_options_on_my/

I'm really not sure how soaked this dumbass is or isn't but the post is a wild ride.

lol wtf

he'll be fine, he's a dumbass but the gist of it is, robinhood is poo poo, they showed a negative number that is not based in reality because the short leg of his spread is covered by the long leg of his spread and that means his maximum loss was fixed at the difference between the two, the instant he opened that position.

His idea that somehow robinhood wouldn't "find out" unless someone at the company read the thread is absurdly stupid, as is the idea that that's how the IRS would "find out."

Robinhood is super stupid both because they display that huge negative number in his app, but also because they calculated it as open leverage and lock those accounts, when the whole point of this type of spread is that if the short leg gets assigned, you can then cover with the long leg by selling it; instead, the dude has to work with robinhood over the phone to "get permission" to sell the long leg and cover the spread.

Robinhood opening up their mobile-app-only, no-humans-to-call-to-make-trades, free-to-use trading site to options trading is the super-stupid part and it'll never stop being funny watching the fallout as lots of people who don't know what they're doing get in tons of trouble, while their app itself gives them wildly misleading information and/or just randomly doesn't work or locks them out of the ability to mitigate the damage they're doing.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Nocheez posted:

IDGAF if it was a Star Wars toy or someone's heirloom ring, stealing poo poo is wrong and especially lovely when it's your own loving family. I'd turn my nephews over to the police if they pulled some poo poo like that on me (and their parents didn't offer full restitution like the OP story).

I stole so much poo poo from my older brother when I was in junior/senior high school: sweaters, shirts, comics, movies, video games, and various trinkets and baubles. Sometimes he would steal it back but most of the time he forgot about his stuff and didn't realize it was gone. He was my hero, but now I feel sad and lovely.

e: Additionally, trying to sell an expensive collectable that you stole from your uncle, but first unboxing it, is incredibly BWM.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

FrozenVent posted:

What’s his username?

Mr Blue Story

(we're not in BFC, the rules don't apply!!!!!!)