Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

check out the Citroen DS5 roof switch panel

Perfect, exactly what I was hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

As Nero Danced posted:

Perfect, exactly what I was hoping for.

This is amazing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Don't even need to go that far, look up in a Cayenne.

poo poo makes me feel like I am in the Star Ship Enterprise.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Enterprise has less options.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Colostomy Bag posted:

I have to imagine the Ascent's transmission will be puking fluid out towing 5K on a minor grade.

It's a CVT. The chain that Subaru uses would slip and be a pile of metal shavings first.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm having a hard time believing just how yawn inducing the new legacy is.

Subaru, you used to be cool, now you're the suburban parents with 2.3 kids.

It struck me the most last night when I was watching a Veloster N review that did a direct comparison to the current WRX.

Their conclusion mirrors my own. The WRX lacks polish (in a bad way). It plays at having polish by doing material upgrades with soft materials and such, but it fails at delivering driving polish. The seating position is too high, the rev hang on shifting is beyond intolerable, the exhaust note is uninspiring, the steering is too light and lacks communication.

They gathered together a bunch of decent numbers and utterly failed to produce an engaging vehicle.

Yet the BRZ has that magic.

I hope the next gen WRX actuality has some R&D time into producing a cohesive whole to make it a driver's car again. In the meantime, it's looking more and more like the Veloster N is the right buy if you want fun.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

AI: In knobs we trust.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wistful of Dollars posted:

AI: In knobs we trust.

:getin:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Is... is that a pop-up volume knob?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

FBS posted:

Is... is that a pop-up volume knob?

Yes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I remember when you posted this for the first time. It's still every bit as amazing as it was then.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

"Steering wheels (which are just huge knobs) are so 1970's!" says Mazda in 1981.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is that a belt you drag around?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

KillHour posted:

Pretty sure yeah. Also love the advanced safety feature of having a CRT directly aimed at my chest. Since it was a concept from the 80's I guess it deserves a pass but still...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mental Hospitality posted:

Also love the advanced safety feature of having a CRT directly aimed at my chest.

You WISH your car had a built in defibrillator that deploys automatically in a severe front end collision.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
has anyone drive the new stupid peugeot interiors where they have a sub diameter steering wheel and the instrument cluster mounted above it and spread to the sides a bit, so you're not supposed to look through the wheel to see the instrument cluster

it sucks rear end

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

KillHour posted:

I thought at first it was a bunch of buttons and you had to constantly press one to adjust the heading. :psyduck:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

has anyone drive peugeot

it sucks rear end

There was a bunch of stuff in the middle of your post that didn't need to be there so I took it out.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

has anyone drive the new stupid peugeot interiors where they have a sub diameter steering wheel and the instrument cluster mounted above it and spread to the sides a bit, so you're not supposed to look through the wheel to see the instrument cluster

it sucks rear end

I've never had a car where I could see the entire instrument cluster after adjusting the steering wheel properly.

Peugeot's got a good idea here, fight me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My scion has the cluster in the middle of the dash, was a bit weird at first but now i love it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I occasionally see a Peugeot and I wonder exactly what the thought process was for the owner. Like of all the cars in any given segment, they somehow arrived at the conclusion that the Peugeot was the best option.

I just don't get it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My gf has a Peugeot 208 and it's a perfectly serviceable car. 4 years and very little maintenance required

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I wish we had Peugeot et al in the states but my brain is broken

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The 505 had really comfy seats

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Is it really any different than people who buy FIAT-Chrysler products?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fridge corn posted:

My gf has a Peugeot 208 and it's a perfectly serviceable car. 4 years and very little maintenance required

What about the Peugeot though?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I wish we had Peugeot et al in the states but my brain is broken

If you are so committed, I'm sure you could convert a Ram ProMaster into its Peugeot sibling

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Everyone I've taked to in the trade who drives a ProMaster says they're the worst vans you can buy. So take that as you will :v:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

:respek:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Goober Peas posted:

The 505 had really comfy seats

Yeah the 505 is pretty decent overall

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't get PSA these days - Citroen was supposed to the the weird one and Peugeot the more normal one but they've both converged into the same middle 'weird but not that weird' ground.

Also now they own Opel does the Buick Regal count a a Pug?

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

ExplodingSims posted:

Everyone I've taked to in the trade who drives a ProMaster says they're the worst vans you can buy. So take that as you will :v:

And people who drive Transits will say the same about those. Perhaps there’s no such thing as a good van these days

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LibCrusher posted:

And people who drive Transits will say the same about those. Perhaps there’s no such thing as a good van these days

The sprinters seem to hit 400k pretty easily, but HOLY HELL do they rust through in a hurry.

e: looking at the MB Metris, they seem to be trying REALLY hard to hide which wheels are driven.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 9, 2019

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

LibCrusher posted:

Eh, I've driven several Transits and I love them personally. I'd say they're the best, but I've never driven the Mercedes Vans, so I cant comment on all of them.

But your choices are:
1. EuroFord Van
2. A platform which hasn't been updated in 30 years.
3. The front wheel drive Dodge
4. The one that has more engine space than cargo space

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

:D

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Mercedes vans are bullshit apparently. They drive nice enough but the doors constantly gave my father in law trouble. I swear I think it spent more time at the dealer than at the jobsites.

Sample size of 1 so ymmv.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

We have a Transit Connect at work and it drives nicely enough, very car-like, and I actually kind of like the auto transmission but my biggest complaint is if you open the sliding door even a little too hard it bounces off the stops and closes on you.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Bajaha posted:

Mercedes vans are bullshit apparently. They drive nice enough but the doors constantly gave my father in law trouble. I swear I think it spent more time at the dealer than at the jobsites.

We used full sized Transits at my old delivery job. The rear doors always fell off eventually from stress cracks in the hinges. They’d also rust around the front door hinges but all euro vans did that.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Bajaha posted:

I've always heard the Mercedes vans have a lot of fit and finish issues. Knobs and levers and the like breaking off, handles coming loose, and other stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it sucks rear end

Didn't they have this idea that you were supposed to set the steering wheel about level with your stomach, or something like that? I think they're supposed to be fine if you have it as low as they intended (so you actually look over the wheel, and then everything's visible, which is weird but, ok, I guess we can pretend you're all Citroens now) though I could be misremembering.

quote:

Vans

Before I fled the UK I ran a vehicle exchange site for a phone company and we had mid triple digit numbers of high-top Fiat Ducatos, (so the Promaster things), big Transits and Vaux Movanos/Renault Masters (back as rentals, I guess don't exist over here) come through the door - I found the Ducato pretty decent in general, not well put together but very solid, felt quite well grounded even empty - I could just never quite get the seats set up to not put my legs to sleep and the locks were atrocious, sometimes the side doors would just decide not to lock and occasionally even randomly open at speed which is...not ideal. Making sure everything internal to the magnetic lock thingy was plugged in (often not) sometimes worked, though with how many vans were getting peeled open for tools being able to just open the doors probably saved some money overall. They were also lazy and didn't bother moving the handbrake lever to the other side for the UK ones which was a bit yikes for some of the recipients.

Transits, the back doors as a couple of people mentioned kept snapping off, which wasn't great, and I don't know if they're just heavy or our fitout used lead shelving or something but the useful load was like 600kg, again not great (vs the Ducato with at least superficially the same everything at about 1100). Always felt like they had a bit of bend and flex to them in general, maybe that's intentional but it was offputting not expecting it. I hope they ended up doing something about the rust with these but couldn't tell as they were new - the previous generation Transits we were getting back would start to get scabby after a year or two and often needed welding to pass MOTs after 3-5.

Movano/Master, these felt way more like a big baked bean tin mounted on a frame than anything else, proper wobbly, tinny metal and you could really feel that the body wasn't quite as firmly attached as you might want. That said, never really seemed to go wrong per se except they were about 50/50 on fully draining the battery inside 72 hours of being parked up, which was irritating to deal with. Renault by contrast really figured out rustproofing on the vans with 10+ year old Vivaros being pristine vs the Fords rotting away after a year or three given identical treatment.