Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
As if college Republicans needed any help to be found gross and unsettling they now have a whole organization dedicated to showing the world what they actually think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Jarmak posted:

Lol what is this Luddite nonsense

Funny how my old SUV runs just fine for almost two decades, but my 2016 wagon needs a periodic firmware update at the dealer otherwise it bricks the speedometer or fucks up the radio. My boss's fridge which is 3 years old broke the other day and they had to replace more than one board costing hundreds of dollars to get it's retard electronic brain running again. I had to run a firmware update on the loving power brick of my Surface Pro last month using a loaner cord because it wouldn't work.

Don't pretend EFI and 80s/90s tech is on par with the stupid IoT poo poo of today

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

egyptian rat race posted:

Funny how my old SUV runs just fine for almost two decades, but my 2016 wagon needs a periodic firmware update at the dealer otherwise it bricks the speedometer or fucks up the radio. My boss's fridge which is 3 years old broke the other day and they had to replace more than one board costing hundreds of dollars to get it's retard electronic brain running again. I had to run a firmware update on the loving power brick of my Surface Pro last month using a loaner cord because it wouldn't work.

Don't pretend EFI and 80s/90s tech is on par with the stupid IoT poo poo of today

None of this gibberish makes sense and it's indicating to me the reason your electronics don't work is because you don't know how to use them.

Edit: what do you even think firmware is?

Edit2: the electric speedometer was invented in 1904

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 8, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just ask the people who got to experience the M16 trial run in Vietnam how inherently reliable mechanical parts are.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

its really pointless to come up with a whole new rifle that uses 5.56 since the big problem going forward is the proliferation of body armor. The total weight troops carry isn't from the 8lb rifle its all the other poo poo

You could make the weapon weigh 1lb and the total gear loadout would still be loving heavy.

There is also a fundamental problem with our military where you can't lose anything. If you're getting ambushed don't ditch your backpack full of radio batteries! The best way to lighten our combat load is to compartmentalize whats necessary (water, NVGs, ammo) and then ditch everything else once the shooting starts

The iRifle is suppossed to be chambered in 6.5-6.8 according to the article

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't mind electronic components in things so long as they're comparable to mechanical components - i.e. you can swap the components out if they fail without going to the depot, and they don't deadline the weapon if they cease to function.

I don't have any faith at all in the military procurement system though.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I don't have any faith at all in the military procurement system though.

This on the other hand is a very fair criticism

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

What the gently caress is that barrel attachment?

A suppressor.

Re: car talk: modern autos are way, way more reliable than older models were. It’s not even close.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stravag posted:

The iRifle is suppossed to be chambered in 6.5-6.8 according to the article

I mean, I know that's supposed to be either/or, but I have this nightmare vision of someone trying to design a variable-geometry chamber and barrel.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
How much heavier is a 6.8 compared to 5.56?

Gonna laugh if they still make the standard 7x30 mags and you're carrying 210 loving rounds of heavy rear end ammo.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Fallom posted:

Just ask the people who got to experience the M16 trial run in Vietnam how inherently reliable mechanical parts are.

This is like saying that the car is bad because you poured sugar in the gas tank and now it won't run.
the vast majority of the Vietnam-era M16 issues were due to the absolutely poo poo quality of powder being used in the ammo.
And then the front-line troops being told "You don't need to clean it it's a SPACE GUN"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Madurai posted:

I mean, I know that's supposed to be either/or, but I have this nightmare vision of someone trying to design a variable-geometry chamber and barrel.

They'll also engrave the serial numbers in Comic Sans

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't really know enough about combat arms to have much of an opinion mechanics and whatnot. But this all reeks of tech startup BS and I don't like that.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
If you don't think that the complexity and difficulty of appliance and auto repair has increased dramatically over last two decades as opposed to the decades previous, I don't know what to say. My point is that the added utility gained over that time period doesn't always justify that complexity/difficulty and the associated cost.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you don't think that the complexity and difficulty of appliance and auto repair has increased dramatically over last two decades as opposed to the decades previous, I don't know what to say. My point is that the added utility gained over that time period doesn't always justify that complexity/difficulty and the associated cost.

Hey man you're the one who spoke favorably of 1980s tech.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They'll take mechanical injection diesel from my cold dead hands

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

They'll take mechanical injection diesel from my cold dead hands

Preach it brother.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Mechanical fuel injection for the win. Unless it's on a GM 6.2L or 6.5L. gently caress those boat anchors.

Vasudus posted:

How much heavier is a 6.8 compared to 5.56?

Gonna laugh if they still make the standard 7x30 mags and you're carrying 210 loving rounds of heavy rear end ammo.

It's a cut and necked down 7.62 cartridge. If you want to build an AR with 6.5CM you need an AR10 lower. So yeah, heavier cartridge. 6.8 would be even heavier.

6.5CM ballistics are pretty tits though.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Working on my mom's carbureted bike is so much simpler and easier than plugging mine into my surface and changing some values in a spreadsheet. I also hate it how my $15 Bluetooth dongle tells me exactly what is wrong with my car instead of spending my entire day troubleshooting.

Edit: a reminder that while the first very limited production run of the M16 had serious deficiencies the majority of it's early reputation comes from the same sort of Luddite panic about "plastic".

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 8, 2019

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The only new gun the army needs is one that explodes when you pull the trigger.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Madurai posted:

They havent settled on caliber just somewhere in that range. Im hoping for a 6.66 cuz gently caress it lets become the great satan. That range also means that the .264 usa people have been loving with may become the standard issue if this happens instead of some dmr/sniper only round. That would keep the weight the same or lower it to because theyre suppossed to be designing .264 to be a polymer case

Stravag fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 8, 2019

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
"It's the new standard issue rifle in 6.5. This one's the Bitcoin mining variant."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Mechanical fuel injection for the win. Unless it's on a GM 6.2L or 6.5L. gently caress those boat anchors.

VW 1.6 :dance:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VW 1.9 and 2.4 :dance:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think 6.5 grendel works with existing mags? Never shot it, but on paper it looks good.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Woof Blitzer posted:

The only new gun the army needs is one that explodes when you pull the trigger.

Someone post that idiotic moment from the walking dead

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Someone post that idiotic moment from the walking dead

You'll have to be more specific.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Crakkerjakk posted:

The one where someone did something stupid and alllllmost got killed, but was saved at the last second by some implausable bullshit that would never actually work.

And then the kid cried.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

CARL

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BigDave posted:

The one where someone did something stupid and alllllmost got killed, but was saved at the last second by some implausable bullshit that would never actually work.

And then the kid cried.

Woah are we talking about 24 now

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Crakkerjakk posted:

Where an entire armys guns explode in their faces

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
While it’s true that I managed to fix a 90s TV using essentially middle school circuit board set knowledge and couldn’t fix a modern TV today, 80s car reliability was still poo poo compared to modern stuff.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

"Reliability" and my 89 Buick Electra are on a non overlapping Venn Diagram.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

A new bill introduced in the Senate today would legalize weed, and it’s not just the text of the bill that’s a nod to marijuana culture. The bill, introduced by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR), is labeled with a conspicuous number: S.420.
The new bill would give the Drug Enforcement Administration 60 days to remove the drug from its list of controlled substances, while also barring the sale of marijuana in states where it’s still illegal. S.420 would also require merchants to add an excise tax to marijuana, an indirect tax that’s added to the price of the product, similar to how tobacco and alcohol are taxed.
The bill would also require businesses to register for special permits to start selling weed. Cannabis products would also face labeling and advertising requirements similar to those required for alcohol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

A new bill introduced in the Senate today would legalize weed, and it’s not just the text of the bill that’s a nod to marijuana culture. The bill, introduced by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR), is labeled with a conspicuous number: S.420.
The new bill would give the Drug Enforcement Administration 60 days to remove the drug from its list of controlled substances, while also barring the sale of marijuana in states where it’s still illegal. S.420 would also require merchants to add an excise tax to marijuana, an indirect tax that’s added to the price of the product, similar to how tobacco and alcohol are taxed.
The bill would also require businesses to register for special permits to start selling weed. Cannabis products would also face labeling and advertising requirements similar to those required for alcohol

It'll die before hitting the floor because reefer madness

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The reason modern cars are insanely powerful and fuel efficient compared to their 80s counterparts is because of the technology that's used in them. "Easy to fix" doesn't always translate to better.

On the flip side, connecting everything and anything to an app is also dumb. I don't need my fridge to tell me the weather. My phone already does that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

They can take my weed from my cold clammy hands

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's a cut and necked down 7.62 cartridge. If you want to build an AR with 6.5CM you need an AR10 lower. So yeah, heavier cartridge. 6.8 would be even heavier.

6.5CM ballistics are pretty tits though.

Wrong 6.5. They’re looking at 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPR II and the like that use standard AR-15 pattern lowers and magazines.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I only glanced at that article but those calibers make worlds more sense.

mlmp08 posted:

While it’s true that I managed to fix a 90s TV using essentially middle school circuit board set knowledge and couldn’t fix a modern TV today, 80s car reliability was still poo poo compared to modern stuff.

I fixed a tube tv while deployed by buying the same model at the exchange and swapping the back cases so the serial # would match the box and I could get my money back in pogs. Glorious pogs!

Actually, I think I sold that tv to someone in my company and used the return to trade up from 13" to 21". Ballin in the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
havent we been having this 6.5/6.8 fight for like 20 years