Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Arban posted:

I'm assuming those people just pretend songs like Rise of evil, Final solution and Wermacht dont exist ?
What part of those songs do you think a Nazi would object to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s at the other end from the downtown stuff and across a bridge but do yourself a favor and go see then USS Constitution.

We walked the whole freedom trail all the way there, and it was definitely worth it. I'm not sure if it's still under remodeling though.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Siivola posted:

What part of those songs do you think a Nazi would object to?

The openly anti-Nazi message? The description of Nazis as fools who bought into the lies of a madman ?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Siivola posted:

Larry Thorne the SS Green Beret

There's a dude who should have been shot for treason.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EvilMerlin posted:

Not a fun day for it. Pouring and chilly here...

It’s a great day for it! I’m from Florida so I rarely get a chance to adventure in the cold.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s at the other end from the downtown stuff and across a bridge but do yourself a favor and go see then USS Constitution.

closed right now iirc for renovations

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s a great day for it! I’m from Florida so I rarely get a chance to adventure in the cold.
i am into fall now because it's like the perfect season for menswear

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Arban posted:

The openly anti-Nazi message? The description of Nazis as fools who bought into the lies of a madman ?
Nazi Punks gently caress Off has an openly anti-Nazi message. Sabaton's songs are basically a History Channel take you can headbang to.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is Bolt Thrower still ok?

:ohdear:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

looks like that was 2015-2017, but it was still open for tours (was there in March 2016)

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Schadenboner posted:

Only if you're a Heretic.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Siivola posted:

Nazi Punks gently caress Off has an openly anti-Nazi message. Sabaton's songs are basically a History Channel take you can headbang to.

They have a metal song about ice road truckers?

Jokes aside, much like the history channel a bunch of the people who are into them enough for it to come up conversationally have some unfortunate views of the German military at the very least. Plus general idealization of military service and military sacrifice in a pretty awkward way.

The 50 year old guy who watches old history channel shows non stop and thinks most Germans were just fighting to protect their country and that it’s fine to appreciate the military prowess of the Wehrmacht absent any other context is a pretty apt comparison actually.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Siivola posted:

a History Channel take you can headbang to.

Fair.
I still hold that they have a lot more songs about Nazis getting there asses kicked than the other way around, and that Neo-Nazis are idiots.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Absolutely. BOLT THROWER! :black101:

I don't mean to say Sabaton are bad or anything, I'm just pushing back at the notion that their songs are explicitly anti-Nazi. I don't think they are, especially considering how the modern alt-right seems to really relish the whole "dark enlightenment" rooting-for-the-villain poo poo where it's 100% fine to be a lying madman as long as you ~keep the trains running on time~

In case you're wondering, yeah, I actually do feel incredibly awkward listening to music with even remotely violent lyrics. :dawkins101:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The YouTube algorithm certainly seems to associate Sabaton with nazi-friendly stuff, because any time I look up one of their songs I get a bunch of "Ben Shapiro DESTROYS SJW athiest at Burger King drive through" style recommendations and have to delete my viewing history.

But from a metal standpoint Sabaton is crap even before you get to their open courting of fascists. It's too upbeat for the content, a bunch of sanitized power metal lyrics about how cool war is and so on, set to a pop metal beat. It just doesn't fit at all.

Compare and contrast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vRFKmSpDP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2tGZeo4Or8

And despite doing a concept album about Rommel, I recall seeing a translated interview from some German metal magazine/blog with the lead guy from Hail of Bullets where he said that right-wing metalheads are ruining the scene and that they can "lick my rear end crosswise."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

C.M. Kruger posted:

And despite doing a concept album about Rommel, I recall seeing a translated interview from some German metal magazine/blog with the lead guy from Hail of Bullets where he said that right-wing metalheads are ruining the scene and that they can "lick my rear end crosswise."
lol i'm p sure he was quoting mozart there

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Uhh you guys didn’t tell me there’s a hilariously gaudy museum of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts here.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cyrano4747 posted:

They have a similar rep in the US. Maybe the dudes are fine but most of the people I’ve run into who liked them enough for me to be aware of it were a bit too into the military prowess of the totally-not-genocidal Wehrmacht.

The weird pseudo music nazis effect other bands too. Rammstein got so pissed at them they more or less made a song essentially stating 'we lean to the left, go away'.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Re: Sabaton.

This masterpiece (and I'm serious, it's brilliant excluding the lyrics) of powermetal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHeRnaWMtDk

Chosen subject matter: The one king in :sweden: closest connected with neoshit.

We have Charles XII statues etc (no biggie etc). But that's where the skinheads started to lay down wreathes etc back in the eighties, celebrating the glory of whatthefuck who got himself killed and hosed everything up.

And Sabaton thought it was a really good idea do do a themesong about that. But hey they have done a lot of songs about everything but they earn good money from the politically brown spectrum.

That might not have been a problem if not another Swedish punkneofaschband hadn't been big in early 90s with songs celebrating Karl XII.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvNh7QYgAzo

Charles XII, a beardless thundergod etc... You can guess the rest. Again catchy and very nationalistic.

So there's a precedence for nationalistic bands doing XII songs and maybe Sabaton are better than that, I don't know. But I'm pretty sure a lot of the fan base are pretty poo poo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cessna posted:

Any time, I'm always happy to talk about crappy uniforms made for bad people.

So when we getting good/bad uniform stuff for the US/British/Commonwealth/Soviet side of things?

I love weird/crazy/dumb uniform talk.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

InAndOutBrennan posted:

We have Charles XII statues etc (no biggie etc). But that's where the skinheads started to lay down wreathes etc back in the eighties, celebrating the glory of whatthefuck who got himself killed and hosed everything up.
wasn't charles XII really really super gay

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

So when we getting good/bad uniform stuff for the US/British/Commonwealth/Soviet side of things?
i mean step one is it didn't occur to the ussr to issue the right underwear to one third of their army, or however many women were in it

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I was there for that post.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

wasn't charles XII really really super gay

Probably. But that has never stopped nazis from naziing, has it?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Probably. But that has never stopped nazis from naziing, has it?
yeah :(

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’m Googling and can’t find anything online saying it’s closed. It says it reopened in September 2017 and isn’t expected to need restoration for another 20 years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/1093929417833963520

:thunk: Ah yes the Nazis, who never did anything bad until they went beyond the German borders.

Oh this was spoken by a black woman.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

C.M. Kruger posted:

They've also done the Russian Front/Great Patriotic War (first half of the album is "German" songs (Ordered Eastward, etc.) second half is "Soviet" songs (Night Witches, etc.) and an album on WWII in the Pacific.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

i mean step one is it didn't occur to the ussr to issue the right underwear to one third of their army, or however many women were in it

You've read Unwomanly Face of War, I hope?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

You've read Unwomanly Face of War, I hope?
ya

it was especially interesting to me because it gave a look at how cis women experienced combat, which--let's be honest--most people in history who dressed as men to fight probably weren't.

quote:

Taissia Petrovna Rudenko-Sheveleva
CAPTAIN, COMPANY COMMANDER IN THE MOSCOW FLEET, NOW A RETIRED LIEUTENANT COLONEL

A woman in the navy…That was something forbidden, even unnatural. People thought it would be bad luck for a ship. I was born near Fastov. In our village the women teased my mother to death: what did you give birth to—a girl or a boy? I wrote a letter to Voroshilov himself, asking to be accepted in the Leningrad Artillery School. They accepted me only on his personal order. The only girl.
When I finished the school, they still wanted me to stay on dry land. Then I stopped telling them that I was a woman. My Ukrainian last name, Rudenko, saved me.* But on one occasion I gave myself away. I was scrubbing the deck, suddenly heard a noise, and turned around: a sailor was chasing a cat that had ended up on the ship, no one knew how. There was a belief, probably from the earliest times, that cats and women bring bad luck at sea. The cat didn’t want to quit the ship, and its dodges would have been the envy of a world-class football player. The whole ship was laughing. But when the cat nearly fell into water, I got frightened and screamed. And it was evidently such a girlish treble that the men’s laughter stopped at once. Silence fell.
I heard the commander’s voice: “Watchman, is there a woman on board?”
“No, sir, Comrade Commander.”
Panic again—there was a woman on board.
I was the first woman to be a commissioned officer in the navy. During the war I was in charge of arming the ships and the naval infantry. Then an article appeared in the British press saying that some incomprehensible creature—neither man nor woman—was fighting in the Russian navy. And that no man would ever take this “lady with a dirk” for a wife. Not take me for a wife?! No, you’re mistaken, my good sir, the most handsome officer will take me…
I was a happy wife and am still a happy mother and grandmother. It’s not my fault that my husband was killed in the war. And I loved the navy all my life and still do…
i am super into the fact that she thought her husband was the most handsome naval officer in russia...

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 8, 2019

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/1093929417833963520

:thunk: Ah yes the Nazis, who never did anything bad until they went beyond the German borders.

Oh this was spoken by a black woman.

setting aside everything else about that :stare:

wasn't one of NSDAP's central tenets expansion for more land for German peoples, and integration of German peoples in other lands into Germany?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The fact that Sabaton did an entire album about the Great Power period that at first impression sounds like a white nationalist masturbatory fantasy probably hasn’t improved their image either.

There’s supposedly some nuance to it, but lol if you think nazi fucks will ever realize that.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

ya

it was especially interesting to me because it gave a look at how cis women experienced combat, which--let's be honest--most people in history who dressed as men to fight probably weren't.

Interesting perspective, thanks.

I'll admit my up front that cis-straight-male perspective gives me a blind spot there.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

Interesting perspective, thanks.

I'll admit my up front that cis-straight-male perspective gives me a blind spot there.
when i did my big underwear post i noticed that some of the women said that wearing underwear of the other gender really bummed them out. Or they'd hoard lipstick or dissolve sugar in water to stiffen their hair with, since they had no hairspray.

Or you know, look how proud that naval officer is for finding a handsome husband, and for being a mother and grandmother.

These are all womens' things they're doing, they're just doing them in an overwhelmingly male environment. They're pushing against a wind and sometimes it pisses them off. Which is very different from someone who's trying to blend seamlessly into that environment.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 8, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fangz posted:

They must be very confident in their logistics chain...

I think this was from Western reports on Soviet training and military doctrine, possibly from an older training manual, but I definitely at one point read that supposedly their training emphasized the importance of foraging for soldiers and that soldiers were to be made to understand that in actual warfare the supply of military equipment, such as ammo, guns and vehicles would be prioritized to the possible exclusion of all other supplies.

HEY GUNS posted:

ya

It's not quite the same, but I recently listened to a pretty extensive series of lectures about the American Civil War and supposedly it wasn't too uncommon during that war for prostitutes t infiltrate army units dressed as soldiers to do their business. Though apparently it often went much further than that with the women staying with the soldiers for extended periods, marching, working and even fighting together with them.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 8, 2019

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I believe Sabaton deliberately decided to stop writing songs glorifying the Wehrmacht after like... three albums? because they didn't want to give off the wrong message. But, ultimately, they just like war stuff and approach it with a child-like innocence and naivety that lends itself to really shallow approaches to the source material and celebrations ignorant of the more complicated situations surrounding conflicts. (Like Counterstrike.)

In MilHist terms, they're the guys who really like Panthers and Tigers. Not Nazis, nor really inclined to support Nazis in any way, but you look at all the other people who started off with "Panthers and Tigers are so cool!" and ended up owning a worrying number of authentic SS uniforms and it's only natural to get cold feet.

(At the same time I'm really reluctant to just abandon huge swathes of interesting military history just because a bunch of fuckers decided to like it. That gives them the ability to control the pop-cultural dialogue on the topic, and I don't want to let a bunch of Nazis stop me from taking an interest in opens envelope ...the Rhodesian Bush War? Never mind. Forget everything I said.)

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Got a question regarding swords. Why did people make flamberge type swords? Simply bragging fashion?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Randarkman posted:

It's not quite the same, but I recently listened to a pretty extensive series of lectures about the American Civil War and supposedly it wasn't too uncommon during that war for prostitutes t infiltrate army units dressed as soldiers to do their business. Though apparently it often went much further than that with the women staying with the soldiers for extended periods, marching, working and even fighting together with them.
at least 200 people with womens' bodies fought in the us civil war, for rmany different reasons. Would they have called themselves women, if exposed to the vocabulary of 2019? would they have agreed with the way we think about these things? who can say?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SeanBeansShako posted:

The weird pseudo music nazis effect other bands too. Rammstein got so pissed at them they more or less made a song essentially stating 'we lean to the left, go away'.

lol, which one. It's been forever since I listened to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Randarkman posted:

It's not quite the same, but I recently listened to a pretty extensive series of lectures about the American Civil War and supposedly it wasn't too uncommon during that war for prostitutes t infiltrate army units dressed as soldiers to do their business.

There's a long history of women going to war with an army, often in what would now be characterized as Logistics jobs - selling food, washing laundry, mending or making clothes, etc.

It is distressing to see how quickly male historians tack on "and they were prostitutes" to any description of them. Undoubtedly some were, but at the same time it seems more than a bit presumptively misogynist to assume that this was universal.

No, I am NOT saying you did this.