Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Not sure whether to post this here or in the movie thread.. but I figure you guys might find this interesting.

I had nothing to do this weekend and binged through the movie prequel novel. It was surprising how many things got changed and just how much got foreshadowed, not just for this movie but for the potential sequels. (I think. Haven't seen the movie yet). Here's a list of the big changes that caught my attention.

• Nova is now the boss of Zalem and has been ruling Zalem since the Great War, 300 years in the past.
  • Nova seems to be an autocrat and appears to enjoy how people in the Scrapyard live and suffer
  • The brain chips in the manga have been replaced by "ID Chips" that allow the people of Zalem to jack into the people in the Scrapyard(everyone gets this chip in this universe, not just people in Zalem. Its in their necks) and watch through their eyes like a fps reality show. Though its heavily implied that only Nova does this. He also communicates to Ido through a dead body like this.
  • Koyomi has been aged up and is now part of Hugo's crew.
  • Ido's life in Zalem is also different. He was exiled along with his wife, Chiren, for producing a daughter who's got some kind of disease that causes her body to grow weaker. Her name is implied to have been Alita.
  • Once in the Scrapyard, Ido and Chiren worked as Tuners for Vectors motorball team, which include Jashugan and Claymore. Ido was Jashugan's personal Tuner.
  • Ido's daughter dies after Ido's house is robbed by a washout motorball player looking for drugs. This leads to him and Chiren splitting up.
  • At the end of the novel Chiren is working as a Tuner for Vector while Ido is running his clinic.
  • Hugo's story is kept mostly the same aside from small details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Archer666 posted:

Not sure whether to post this here or in the movie thread.. but I figure you guys might find this interesting.

I had nothing to do this weekend and binged through the movie prequel novel. It was surprising how many things got changed and just how much got foreshadowed, not just for this movie but for the potential sequels. (I think. Haven't seen the movie yet). Here's a list of the big changes that caught my attention.

• The brain chips in the manga have been replaced by "ID Chips" that allow the people of Zalem to jack into the people in the Scrapyard(everyone gets this chip in this universe, not just people in Zalem. Its in their necks) and watch through their eyes like a fps reality show. Though its heavily implied that only Nova does this. He also communicates to Ido through a dead body like this.

Everything else is kind of meh whatever, it's ok, to me, but this is the one that really bothers me! This is a significant detail that's been changed, and it seems very unnecessary to me. The whole mental crisis with the Zalemites/Tiphareans finding out that they're cyborgs just like the dirty Scrapyard dwellers is a huge deal in the plot of the story. It's also a wonderful parallel: the Scrapyard people have organic brains but upgrade their bodies with machinery, the Zalemites have biological bodies but upgrade their brains with chips! Without it, the plight of the Zalemites seems way way diminished.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mecha posted:

I bought one of the floppies* where the Abbadon is used to eagerly bring it to my HS physics teacher and ask about the science behind it. He made a heroic effort to not laugh in my face.

That must have been the best "well, at least my student is engaged" look ever.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Mission Accomplished: Alita is now Certified Fresh on RT!

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Archer666 posted:

I don't think they have been replaced. Its just another thing. Its sort of a meld of several other techs we see in the manga.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Well, it's fresh but not locked in as certified fresh.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Toshimo posted:

It is interesting that it started low but the more the people actually, you know, see it it goes up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Those initial tepid reviews were worrisome, but happy to see the film is being well received with more critics coming around.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It seems to be wavering around 60%. Last I checked it dropped back to 58%.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Average rating of 5.8/10 is not exactly inspiring.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
can you filter the reviews for "people who reread the viz paperbacks at least a dozen times" because idc about these other goofs

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Average rating of 5.8/10 is not exactly inspiring.

Its a good movie. Does the manga justice. People are going to pan as its trying something new and OMG BIG EYES!

I have a feeling its going to make insane money in china.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Tormented posted:

I have a feeling its going to make insane money in china.

this horrifying thing made $300 million in china* so a pair of big eyes probably isn't going to slow them down

*apparently through rampant fraud by the studio but still

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Clipperton posted:

this horrifying thing made $300 million in china* so a pair of big eyes probably isn't going to slow them down

*apparently through rampant fraud by the studio but still

They made a chia pet movie?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Tormented posted:

OMG BIG EYES!
they’re so bad, though

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It's not quite the same, but it reminds me of how we couldn't avoid LOL BLUE PENIS on the lead up to Watchmen.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

they’re so bad, though

After about 10 mins into the movie you really stop noticing them.

Its weird.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
illustration by author

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Tormented posted:

After about 10 mins into the movie you really stop noticing them.
i will not

you cannot make me

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They got the eyes right but forgot the lips. Shameful.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

i will not

you cannot make me

There is a interesting shock during the movie about BIG EYES!.

About 2/3 through the movie you see a flash back with Gelda and her eyes gave me the same shock that Alita's did when the movie starts. Somehow I got super used to seeing Alita's eyes but seeing them on someone else gave me pause.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Relin posted:

illustration by author

Whoa, holy poo poo. That's kind of wild - the artist doing his take on their take on his take. Also it's a nice reminder of just how incredibly good YK is at art. I wonder if he's seen it already? What are his thoughts?

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Whoa, holy poo poo. That's kind of wild - the artist doing his take on their take on his take. Also it's a nice reminder of just how incredibly good YK is at art. I wonder if he's seen it already? What are his thoughts?

He loved it. He posted on his blog about 2 weeks back:

http://yukitolog.blogspot.com/2019/01/alitabattleangel.html

Rough English Translation below:

quote:

On the 26th, there was a screening of only those involved and I was able to see the completed version of "ALITA: Battle Angel" with Japanese subtitles at Kawasaki's IMAX theater!

No, it is a wonderful completion.

A scary scenario that screams out emotions, characters that are terribly beautiful, dense and high-quality, lively alita and other characters.

In addition to each element of the original Macaque version, Yugo version, OVA "Gunma", the original setting and depiction of the movie is built in without difficulty, the depth of feeling and behavior motive of the character is natural and increased I will.

There are also parts that have been changed from the original, but what I like the most is the past setting that Mr. Id Dyson is battle.

The setting that parents who are older than the original id and lost their daughter have given depth and astringence to the story. It also tells why Id is a hunter warrior that has not been touched by the original.

Also, it was amazing to bring a scene of a motorball trial to a part somewhat sagging if it is in the second half, original story. I do not have time to get bored.

Motorball has been featured from the beginning as one of the important world settings in the movie, and there are scenes etc. where boys and girls play on the street.

Iron City of the movie seems to be plating fun! I want to live myself too!

Dystopia that looks like fun, this is important!

When people who do not understand make it, Kuzu Town is just a dirty, dark and dangerous image of a distorted pier. However, ALITA: Battle Angel's staff knows ... !! I know exactly what I wanted to draw in Kuzu Town ... !!

Everyone of the staff, thank you for making a wonderful movie !!

Everyone, fans, inherited the soul of "gun dream" completely reborn "ALITA: BattleAngel" Please go to see! Well preferably at a good theater such as IMAX!

I want to see a dubbed version this time too!

He was at the red carpet reveal the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkonAM-A7NM

Tormented fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 8, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I want to say I saw this bit in the post-preview satellite interview, but I definitely saw an interview with Cameron at one point where he was talking about going to Japan and taking to Kishiro and explaining his overarching adaptation plan for the first time and he gets to the end and Kishiro's like "Naw, dude. You seem real nice, but you completely missed the point of the work. Here's what I meant." and Cameron got in a real funk because he'd dropped the ball so hard, so he spent years trying to refigure the whole thing to Kishiro's vision.

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure Kishiro is stoked about the finished product.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Relin posted:

illustration by author

Is this the lithograph included with the manga deluxe edition hard cover box set? Oh looks like its a promo poster for the film.

[edit] Also, my initial worries from the first reviews have been quelled. Looks like those people were big ol' dumb dumbs. I'm usually never invested in critic reviews or bullshit like RT scores, but damnit, I want this movie to be successful.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 8, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Well poo poo, I just read that Edward Norton had a cameo as Desty Nova, teasing a sequel. :stare:

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

teagone posted:

Well poo poo, I just read that Edward Norton had a cameo as Desty Nova, teasing a sequel. :stare:

Yup. He was asked to only do the part if he was willing to be in the sequel. He looks the part.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, that's inspired casting. I dig it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

OH HELL YES :gizz:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

My dad seems pretty hyped to go watch the movie tonight and he's never seen the comic and doesnt even know what anime is so I guess marketing is doing something right

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

My dad seems pretty hyped to go watch the movie tonight and he's never seen the comic and doesnt even know what anime is so I guess marketing is doing something right

Yeah, my 60+ y/o parents and 65 y/o uncle are all really stoked for Alita for some reason lol.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
They haven't been this hyped to see a movie featuring the ruins of St. Louis since Koyaanisqatsi :v:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Tormented posted:

He was at the red carpet reveal the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkonAM-A7NM
i love how snooty interpreters get about the word "translation"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Someone please buy me this: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/88039

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That price... :captainpop:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Alita is opening well in South Korea and Taiwan. If China follow suits, we'll see sequels regardless of how it does in the states. I'm gonna wager that good wom will help it out here.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
you say that, but remember james cameron's avatar film, and its planned 4 sequels? the movie that made a zillion dollars? it's ok if you don't, no one does because it made no lasting cultural impact

Relin fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 10, 2019

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Relin posted:

you say that, but remember james cameron's avatar film, and its planned 4 sequels? the movie that made a zillion dollars? it's ok if you don't, no one does because it made no lasting cultural impact

Yeah, Avatar was so expensive it had to be the dumbest, most transparent, safest plot possible in order to guarantee it wouldn't take a loss. (And then Hollywood accounting probably made it take a loss anyway so they wouldn't have to pay out bonuses to the peons.) Also how avatar should have ended: "I say we dust off, get back to the mothership, and nuke the whole planet from orbit.".

Just from the character design it looks like Alita is taking more risks than Avatar could, so hopefully it isn't insufferably boring and trite once you discount the visuals like Avatar is.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Relin posted:

illustration by author

That's some poster worthy work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Relin posted:

i still can’t believe we all paid to see that