Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Possibly, though it would probably have loot boxes and pay-for-power MTX if it was. As it is, Anthem is not free to play, but (for now) has no loot boxes and only plans to sell skins, emotes, and stuff like that. They also plan on all the content/story updates being free instead of being paid DLC, so... yeah, good luck with that.

I really want the game to succeed because I think the core game is a lot of fun, but it has absolutely everything else working against it, including its own release schedule.

Splatoon does it and doesn't offer micro transactions. If they can do it why can't anybody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I said come in! posted:

As costs go up the number of copies sold in order to make a profit increases as well.

spend less money on candles game development

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

5 to 6 million copies sold seems to have become the industry's standard expectation for most triple A game releases for some reason

There's like 100 million PS4/Xbones in the wild plus PC so 5% of the market share isn't unobtainable. Battlefield easily does that but these companies sink so much cash into their big brands that they literally can't afford to sell less than 10 million units.

Of course if anything bad happens they'll cut hundreds of employees instead of one overpaid manager who'll move on to become Associate Director Leader of Ideas (200k salary plz)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

As costs go up the number of copies sold in order to make a profit increases as well.

And so does the importance of post-launch monetization.

That's also why an increasing number of third-party single-player games are going open world now. It doesn't seem to make sense on the surface--a huge, detailed open world like in an Assassin's Creed game isn't exactly cheap--but the important thing is "engagement." Specifically, publishers like big open world games that most players never finish because the longer they can keep someone playing, the more likely they are to buy more stuff for that game. That could be microtransactions, or it could be that you never uninstalled or finished the game and so it's easier to get you to come back and buy the DLC/expansion when it comes out. Either way, open world games are the highest-engagement single-player games and that's why they're everywhere.

Almost everything else is either largely a multiplayer game, or a first-party title like God of War that can function similarly to a loss leader for console sales. (It likely didn't actually lose money, but it also was under less pressure to make a giant profit all on its own because it can drive console sales.)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

Splatoon does it and doesn't offer micro transactions. If they can do it why can't anybody else.

Nintendo was willing to miss out on the extra $200 million from selling playable off the hook

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Convex posted:

This is not an attack or snide remark in any way, but I never understood the humour in this strip. Is it based on characters that are built up over time or something? On their own they never feel like they are inherently humourous

Nancy is now the strip for millennial gamers imo

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

EA should say gently caress it and just have this new idiot battle royale be the moneymaker while they reinvest into Dead Space.

There was recently an Ars Technica "war stories" video on the making of Dead Space that is excellent, and it's now the highest-viewed vid on the channel at 3 million views. I think the audience is there for it, especially with how well RE2 is doing.

Here's the vid btw because it owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ3iqq49Ew8

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

yeah but GAMERS have both a very insular view of the world and the entitlement to make their preferences known on the internet

The joke was supposed to be that EA won a literal Worst Company in America online poll that some consumer watchdog site put up in those years. Another multiple winner of this poll: Comcast.

Harrow posted:

One difference is that Anthem has a ton of anti-hype working against it.

Yeah, it's not really the same situation as Destiny at all. Destiny was the new original IP from Bungie that a) represented them throwing off the yoke of their corporate overlords (or at least being perceived as such) and b) was preceded by a well-liked entry in a popular franchise. Anthem is the new original IP from Bioware who a) are still very clearly under the corporate thumb and b) are just coming off a release that was a complete disaster and probably killed an already-tarnished franchise.There's zero goodwill waiting for Anthem, it had to be instantly and substantially impressive and it wasn't.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Same reason God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn could be made without microtransactions: they're first-party console exclusives whose main (commercial) job is to drive console sales. It's a similar concept to loss leaders in retail, though worth noting it's not quite the same because none of those games actually failed to turn a profit. They don't need to make as much money in and of themselves because their job is to get you in the door.

Splatoon 2 doesn't need microtransactions because it probably sold Switches, or contributed to it. Nintendo gets a cut of every single game sold on the Switch. If Splatoon 2 contributed to Hypothetical Consumer buying a Switch, then Nintendo's cut of any Switch games that Hypothetical Consumer buys are sort of serving as Splatoon 2's continued revenue, the way microtransactions do for third-party games. And more of Splatoon 2's revenue is profit for Nintendo, as well, because they don't have to give a cut of it to any platform owners--they are the platform owner.

Because companies like EA and Ubisoft are third parties, they're not getting a cut of sales--instead, they're giving a cut of their sales to platform owners. And they don't get any continued revenue from any source other than the game. Once box sales dry up, that's about it, that's all the money you're getting out of that game. So if you're not making a profit, or enough of a profit, on initial box sales, you make it up somewhere else, and that's where microtransactions and DLC come in.

With a game like Anthem where the developers have said they have no plans for a sequel and want to support and expand the game for years to come, that's even more important, because if they're not selling expansions (something Splatoon 2 actually did), eventually they're going to need to sell something to fund continued development. They're hoping that non-loot box cosmetics are enough. I hope they're right, but I kinda doubt it.

One way to look at it is that if we say we want more games to have Splatoon 2's content and monetization model, what we're really saying is that we want more games to be first-party console exclusives. Honestly I'm not all that convinced that would be a total disaster, but I know a lot of people think of console exclusives as anti-consumer in other ways, so :shrug:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 8, 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lest we forget https://www.pcgamer.com/revenue-from-pc-free-to-play-microtransactions-has-doubled-since-2012/

quote:

PC gamers will spend a whopping $22bn on microtransactions in free-to-play games this year, double the figure from 2012 and nearly three times the revenue generated from full game purchases on PC and consoles combined. That's according to a new report from games data and market research firm SuperData, which suggests that although players are "quick to complain" about monetisation they "continue to support service-based [models] with their wallets".

that article is from 2017, too, so there's no reason to believe the situation is even shittier now

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElfIpY6xvB4

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The developer commentaries Valve did for the Half-Life episodes are cool and more developers should do it. To give my final thoughts on the series, it was definitely something that got better as it went along. I enjoyed HL2 but I wasn't really invested in the characters and the story was kinda chaotic. E1+2 tightened the focus of the story with clearer goals and the more I spent time with the characters the more I cared about them. The clear technogolical progression between games also helped a lot to make for better graphics and better set pieces which made things feel more impressive with each game. All in all it was a fun experience but I wouldn't really put it up there with my favourites. Perhaps E3 would have changed that but I guess Gaben's too busy rolling around in his stacks of titty game cash now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

lest we forget https://www.pcgamer.com/revenue-from-pc-free-to-play-microtransactions-has-doubled-since-2012/

that article is from 2017, too, so there's no reason to believe the situation is even shittier now

Fortnite alone made 3 billion dollars last year. So I imagine the numbers for 2018 to be insane.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Fortnite alone made 3 billion dollars last year. So I imagine the numbers for 2018 to be insane.

Well, Fortnite is also way bigger than anything else

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Rarity posted:

I'm glad you got a kick out of it :)

And now that I'm done with the Half-Life 2 story I get to kick on to Portal :woop:

Portal 1/2 is a legit All Time Top 10 game, you're in for something special. (Yeah I'm combining them into a single game because 2 is direct sequel using the same tech, deal with it)

It's really a shame that Valve lost their pride in their work afterwards :(

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Harrow posted:

One way to look at it is that if we say we want more games to have Splatoon 2's content and monetization model, what we're really saying is that we want more games to be first-party console exclusives.

can I say I want more games like Splatoon 2 because they're fun as hell

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DLC Inc posted:

EA should say gently caress it and just have this new idiot battle royale be the moneymaker while they reinvest into Dead Space.

There was recently an Ars Technica "war stories" video on the making of Dead Space that is excellent, and it's now the highest-viewed vid on the channel at 3 million views. I think the audience is there for it, especially with how well RE2 is doing.

Here's the vid btw because it owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ3iqq49Ew8
EA killed Visceral though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Why do people care about video game stocks unless you're a stock broker

This apex boom is significant because

Jay Rust posted:

Anthem is going to raise EA stocks even higher!! :D

When they layoff all the bioware staff and sell their offices next year

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so what does Apex do diff from the other royales

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

From what I've seen, Overwatch-style classes plus squad gameplay that works with complete strangers and without requiring voice

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i plan on never trying it out but i have to say "without requiring voice" definitely piqued my interest

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 8, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Its not a hodgepodge game built to copy a technical disaster assetflip that got hot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

can I say I want more games like Splatoon 2 because they're fun as hell

I mean I'm gonna buy every Splatoon sequel from here until the heat death of the universe so yeah

I just mean that its monetization works because it's a first-party console exclusive and wouldn't necessarily be viable for a similar third-party game.

It is, however, a really loving good game and deserves every bit of praise it gets, including for its really generous free updates.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

From what I've seen, Overwatch-style classes plus squad gameplay that works with complete strangers and without requiring voice

Cowcaster posted:

i plan on never trying it out but i have to say "without requiring voice" definitely piqued my interest

Its ping system is goddamn brilliant, really. I hope everyone making any squad-based game, whether co-op or competitive, is taking notes. Respawn tested Apex Legends for a full month with voice comms off to make sure they could fully communicate as a squad using only the in-game tools.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I miss voice...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is "Booyah!" one of the pings

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is "Booyah!" one of the pings

Sadly, not every game can be as perfect as Splatoon

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Alan Smithee posted:

The respawn system is a great mechanic. In other battle royales, if team members die there's always the awkward "well...you can keep going if you want...but maybe we should just quit and start over?" Because nobody wants to just sit there while the rest of the round plays out but also nobody wants to be the rear end in a top hat that forces their friends to quit when they're still alive.

Making your team members return to your corpse if they want to revive you forces them to stay in the action. So either they too die to the team that killed you, or they manage to get to your corpse and get you revived.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I miss the old days of voice, when in SC: Chaos Theory a spy would yell "I'm Rick James bitch!" in my ear before knocking me out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

No one is ever gonna top Splinter Cell's use of multiplayer voice, including spies hacking the enemy voice chat to gain intel and being able to voice chat with the enemy team when you melee/grab one of them

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Remember when Mario’s voice was a gruff Brooklynite? Before the happy, shrill yelping that can’t form a sentence?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ah yes the halcyon days of voice chat long before anyone realized you could yell slurs at people to get a rise out of them

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Remember when Mario’s voice was a gruff Brooklynite? Before the happy, shrill yelping that can’t form a sentence?

Rest in peace, Captain

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would rather die than hear the voice of another human being when I'm playing a video game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Voice chat was never good, we just all took different lengths of time to realize it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

because it'd just make a shitload of money, instead of all the money. that's not acceptable.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Convex posted:

This is not an attack or snide remark in any way, but I never understood the humour in this strip. Is it based on characters that are built up over time or something? On their own they never feel like they are inherently humourous

Yeah, that's a big part of it. A lot of Achewood's humor relies on playing its characters personalities and backgrounds off of each other, and that (plus the occasionally extreme surrealism and heavy reliance on obscure references) makes it hard to get into. At the repeated urging of some friends years ago, I took several attempts at reading it and bounced right off of it a few times before one day it clicked, and now I adore it. (If you want to try to get into it, it's a good idea to jump in at a story arc like the Great Outdoor Fight.

To the dude about to play Portal for the first time: I wish I was in your shoes, my first playthrough of Portal was one of my all-time favorite gaming experiences.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Update: I did not get fired but things are hella tense RN. Prolly gonna be lots of staff meetings in the near future. But for the time being I'm employed and can afford DMCV Deluxe, phew.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

haveblue posted:

Voice chat was never good, we just all took different lengths of time to realize it.

I think my first mic was to talk to people in Day of Defeat, and the first thing I did was start singing Linkin Park lyrics into voice, so I'm basically the reason it's poo poo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

exquisite tea posted:

I'm employed and can afford DMCV Deluxe, phew.

Sometimes the suffering is worth it :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Update: I did not get fired but things are hella tense RN. Prolly gonna be lots of staff meetings in the near future. But for the time being I'm employed and can afford DMCV Deluxe, phew.

can you buy me a copy too while you're still gainfully employed i'm very poor and saving my money for sekiro