Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

HoboTech posted:

So I really want to get into this game, but the past two or three times I've tried I run into a bug where I could not get into one or more houses. The door would be open and unlocked, but my character wouldn't go through the door. Saving and loading didn't work, and the only advice I've seen is to "save and import". Even the F12 buttons that are supposed to fix things said there was nothing to fix.

Is importing the only solution? It feels like someone saying "just start over again", but I don't know enough about the game yet to know if that's true (played maybe 4 hours so far).

Other than that, I'm kind of excited to sit down this weekend and put some actual time in. Wanna start as a solo wanderer, become Kenshiro, and then start building a posse to take out slavers.

I had a base where that happened to one of the houses, but only the one house, and it had an kinda awkward entrance. Reimporting fixed it, yes, but I'd recommend tearing the house down and building it somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Is the problem particularly common when trying to enter swamp buildings? If so, then it's a pathfinding issue related to having extremely tall characters. I've also run into that.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

It happened to me once when I built two of those barracks buildings right next to each other. One was fine but the other I couldn't enter after I had built some small wind generators on the roof. After dismantling and reconstructing it, I still couldn't enter it. So yeah, I think it is a location/pathfinding issue because I haven't had that problem since.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

holding ctrl shift and F11 will fix nav meshes
Everyone take special note of this, BTW. This is different from the 'fix things' option in the shift-F12 menu. That one fixes objects and placement issues. This combination regenerates the nav mesh, which fixes pathfinding 99%of the time, except when it's a clipping issue. Then you need the menu.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Leal posted:

I run into this bug and sometimes holding ctrl shift and F11 will fix nav meshes. Often though when that start to happens, I don't know if its maybe a memory leak (I don't know how to computer) but when that starts to happen I save and restart the program. No need to import, just restart the program.

I did see the Crtl + Shift + F11 trick elsewhere, and it did not seem to help. I didn't try exiting the program entirely and coming back, though. Might try that next time it happens.

bees everywhere posted:

It happened to me once when I built two of those barracks buildings right next to each other.

Ah, see I didn't build anything (I'm still figuring out how to do that). The most recent incident was when I started as Five Nobodies to see how the game played with multiple characters, and my (literal) skeleton crew started next to what looked like a destroyed and abandoned base. One of the houses was fine and my guys could go in and grab the stuff laying on the ground, but the other house they couldn't get past the entrance despite there not being anything in the way.

The times before it's been a new solo character, and I won't be able to enter into some town shop or something despite the door being open and unlocked. If it happens again, I'll play around with it a bit more and report back if I find anything.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah one of the houses when you start with majority skeletons is inaccessible. It's really annoying too since there's a skeleton eye and a repair kit you can't get to.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Yeah one of the houses when you start with majority skeletons is inaccessible. It's really annoying too since there's a skeleton eye and a repair kit you can't get to.

Okay that is both a relief and an aggravation at the same time. I get the feeling that much of the game will be like that.

And yet, I am undeterred.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This kind of thing is honestly pretty rare and for all the jank, the game is actually not very buggy. Most weird poo poo that happens is intended weird poo poo. I'm sorry you had to run into one of the few real gameplay bugs right away, but rest assured that it's not representative of what most of the game is like. I hardly ever have any issues at all and I run dozens of mods, many of which are still for the early access version.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the navmesh is an easy fix, except when one of your characters approaches ludicrous speed skill levels in athletics, at which point they become just too fast to navigate doors properly. gotta go fast, everytime, all the time! also the swamp buildings have doors that open to the side, rather than up and down like the 'normal' ones which can also lead to pathfinding issues. fixing the navmesh doesn't solve the problem sadly.

there's also an amazing base location out where strobe's garden meets greenbeach... seriously, it's this almost entirely flat mesa that has one approach and actually shifts from arid to 100% green in certain spots, but your dudes tend to fall off the cliff when you load the zone in, so you gotta keep the gate open at all times which leads to it's own set of problems. still excellent end-game base location.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

they become just too fast to navigate doors properly. gotta go fast, everytime, all the time!
Luckily, you can easily fix that one by manually setting them to walking mode.

But yeah, the pseudo-Newtonian way the game handles character movement can lead to some funny issues at high athletics - like circling a spot infinitely because the character just can't turn around quickly enough to stop. They move like cars, not like people.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

But yeah, the pseudo-Newtonian way the game handles character movement can lead to some funny issues at high athletics - like circling a spot infinitely because the character just can't turn around quickly enough to stop. They move like cars, not like people.

Double scout leg beep was causing me enough issues that i switched him to one scout leg

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah aside from a CTD every few hours (not enough to get upset over as long as autosave is turned on) I've only had a few bugs, usually related to pathfinding or just weirdness involved in the AI jobs system. By calling it "janky" you could mean this game is rough around the edges and that's an accurate description for sure, but as far as bugs go I'd say it's on par with a lot of big studio releases and nowhere close to, say, Fallout 76.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 7, 2019

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Is that what's causing some of my dudes to rocket into the far corner of a building when they use the entrance stairs? It's really annoying, some of my craftsmen launch themselves into the hills behind my base while they're going to grab resources.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I would have to see it myself to say for sure, but yeah, probably. Try setting them to a lower movement speed and see if the problem persists.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Note to self: build bases with two gates.

I set up shop on the ridge north of Squin to get some mining/crafting material production started and now there’s a million bandits clustered around the single gate in demanding tribute and it made me miss Prayer Day and the Holy Nation is grumpy with me now too.

I feel like one of these problems will solve the other eventually, but food is a bit of an issue.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

This kind of thing is honestly pretty rare and for all the jank, the game is actually not very buggy. Most weird poo poo that happens is intended weird poo poo. I'm sorry you had to run into one of the few real gameplay bugs right away, but rest assured that it's not representative of what most of the game is like. I hardly ever have any issues at all and I run dozens of mods, many of which are still for the early access version.

My biggest problem is I've only done the "make a character(s), play a few hours" loop. I need to sit down and actually put some time into it. I'm still getting over the mental hurdle that losing a fight can be just as good as winning one, for instance.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bussamove posted:

I set up shop on the ridge north of Squin to get some mining/crafting material production started and now there’s a million bandits clustered around the single gate in demanding tribute and it made me miss Prayer Day and the Holy Nation is grumpy with me now too.

I feel like one of these problems will solve the other eventually, but food is a bit of an issue.

MY GOOD SIR, HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD WORD OF OKRAN?!

HoboTech posted:

My biggest problem is I've only done the "make a character(s), play a few hours" loop. I need to sit down and actually put some time into it. I'm still getting over the mental hurdle that losing a fight can be just as good as winning one, for instance.

Thats something I'm loving about Kenshi. Did you win the fight? Cool you get some weapon training and whatever valuables the other guy had. Did you lose? You are now tougher.

I'm currently set up as a farm guard for the flotsam ninjas. Just stand around the farms and get all the free training and animal skins from the river raptors that show up. Wish there was a building I could buy in Flotsam Village, but it seems like the no build zone around that place is way smaller then normal cities.

E: And I seem to have a 100% steal chance for the crops that the AI harvests but never use, unless the biofuel generator isn't full. Free food for my work!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright Beep

Don't take that poo poo Beep

Stand up to your bullies Beep

God dammit beep :what:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Selling the UC heroes into slavery never gets old.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

If you need a quick way out, you can always just break down a wall section. Press the dismantle button and poof goes that section. Takes no time and returns a decent portion of the constructing materials even. Good for emergencies.

Fun fact: ramps are walkable surfaces before they're even finished constructing. Put a blueprint somewhere and pause the construction and you can use it without ever actually paying for it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any way to learn the blueprints for those elevated walkways you can see here and there?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There are mods that allow you to make platforms on stilts and even proper bridges, but I don't think it's possible in vanilla.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Game is Good.

I've got a base set up on the standard ridge above Squin (it's actually fun to realize how many people stumble upon this location independently of each other!). Even though I regularly get wrecked by Kral's Chosen, they are actually cool in the sense that they help me train up my guys without stealing my stuff? I mean, they beat the poo poo out of us on the reg, but they usually finish up their business before we bleed out. Plus, I never fight them next to my buildings so after they beat us up and start pathing between my buildings, we can pick ourselves up out of sight, bandage up, and try to pick them off one-by-one with turrets or just run on down to Squin to heal up until they're done having their fun.

My main squad of six can solidly wreck Dust Bandits now though, and our new recruits are building up some serious Perception from manning turrets (so they'll likely become an archer squad once I can steal/manufacture some starter crossbows).

Gates do need a lot more hitpoints though - are there any gate HP mods that don't require me to rebuild the world when I use them?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well that was a fun foray into the cannibal plains. I run into a group of shrieking cannibals and apparently they didn't like how I shrieked back at them, I booked it to my dear allies the Flotsam Ninja outpost. When I arrive I'm greeted with the ninjas already fighting a different group of cannibals. So now there is this 2 v 1 v 1 going on with my guys and the ninjas fighting shrieking cannibals and the other cannibals. The shrieking bandits come out in the end and thankfully grabbed the other cannibals before running off.

Is there a mod that changes the UI so when I hit more then 6 members it will split them across 2 groups on the party menu bar and not minimize them? I've got a party of 10 and their thumbnails is the size of... well my thumbnail. I wish it would split them 5 and 5 with larger thumbnails. Making 2 squads for a crew who will always be around one another is annoying.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Leal posted:

Well that was a fun foray into the cannibal plains. I run into a group of shrieking cannibals and apparently they didn't like how I shrieked back at them, I booked it to my dear allies the Flotsam Ninja outpost. When I arrive I'm greeted with the ninjas already fighting a different group of cannibals. So now there is this 2 v 1 v 1 going on with my guys and the ninjas fighting shrieking cannibals and the other cannibals. The shrieking bandits come out in the end and thankfully grabbed the other cannibals before running off.

Is there a mod that changes the UI so when I hit more then 6 members it will split them across 2 groups on the party menu bar and not minimize them? I've got a party of 10 and their thumbnails is the size of... well my thumbnail. I wish it would split them 5 and 5 with larger thumbnails. Making 2 squads for a crew who will always be around one another is annoying.

They'll eventually loop around into a second row as you add more people. I have a team of IIRC 11 or 12 and it finally started a second row.

I figured out my crash on launch bug from a few pages ago. It turns out the game can't detect my trackball as a mouse, and it will crash immediately if it thinks you don't have a mouse plugged in :lol:

For people using the low res texture mod for performance - does it still help if you use the full-res terrain textures? I usually play pretty zoomed out so it doesn't really bother me except that the landscape itself looks like pixelated rear end

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, a full squad fits 20 people, ten per row. I'm pretty sure this is hardcoded and inaccessible to modding, sorry. I've never seen anything that changes this.

quote:

For people using the low res texture mod for performance - does it still help if you use the full-res terrain textures? I usually play pretty zoomed out so it doesn't really bother me except that the landscape itself looks like pixelated rear end
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, a full squad fits 20 people, ten per row. I'm pretty sure this is hardcoded and inaccessible to modding, sorry. I've never seen anything that changes this.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

You, uhh, haven't looked very far then.

There's dozens of mods that raise it to 256, which is the actual hardcoded max.

e:
e.g. this, but there's literally over a dozen.

It's like the single most common change in modpacks.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 8, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Private Speech posted:

e:
e.g. this, but there's literally over a dozen.

It's like the single most common change in modpacks.

We meant the icons on the squad menu. After so many the icons just get smaller to fit it all in one row, leaving empty space. Instead of filling up that space by splitting the icons and letting them be bigger.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Leal posted:

We meant the icons on the squad menu. After so many the icons just get smaller to fit it all in one row, leaving empty space. Instead of filling up that space by splitting the icons and letting them be bigger.

Oh okay, sorry. Yeah I don't think that's moddable.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Finally managed to take down Bugmaster with my Heavy Weapons/Hackers only squad, and honestly, the trip to him was harder than the fight itself.

Next stop: Holy lands, then I'm off to the Ashlands.

Edit: Anyone tried taking Cat-Lon to Tinfist and see if you get some unique dialogue?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So good way to train up crossbow skill. In mongrel, there is a section where the wall opens to a sharp cliffside, with a pathway about 50 feet below. Station your archers and set them to HOLD, and they will take potshots at pathing fogmen. I've only had the fogmen bust through the front gate and attack my archers once, and that was with max squads and squad sizes, so it is fairly risk free.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

If you need a quick way out, you can always just break down a wall section. Press the dismantle button and poof goes that section. Takes no time and returns a decent portion of the constructing materials even. Good for emergencies.

Fun fact: ramps are walkable surfaces before they're even finished constructing. Put a blueprint somewhere and pause the construction and you can use it without ever actually paying for it.

I tried that but they just sensed weakness and charged the open spot in the wall.

I did have one guy in Squin selling excess ore and buying food, so I had him sneak over to the side the bandits weren’t on and transferred food to those inside until the Holy Nation showed up and the two duked it out until they both fled.

So here’s Hobbs, hurling food cubes and sandwiches over the walls to his besieged friends while brutal holy war waged a few hundred feet away.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Yeah, you misunderstood me, I was talking about the interface. Beyond 20 people, you need to start scrolling, because it can't display them all at once anymore. I do not think that can be changed with the tools available.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I limited my squads to 11 except for my base labor/garrison squad because I don't like the scrolling.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Okay so a question:

Let's say you're playing as a solo character, and you get jumped and get the poo poo beaten out of you. You're laying on the ground and whenever you try to do something you get the "you're unconscious, dumbass" message.

...what can you do? Apparently one option is "lay there until slavers find you", but I'm hoping there's something I was missing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You can't really do anything except wait until you wake up, sorry. The game is really built around squad-level character management, it doesn't offer a lot of tools to deal with a situation like that

On the plus side, you can play effectively single character anyway by just not taking the rest of your clan/gang/faction along. Leave them standing in a city. They won't care.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So uh, if you are using the reactive worlds mod you probably shouldn't build a base anywhere around the northern area. Jesus christ, its non stop raids from all the different cannibal clans it adds one after another.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

You can't really do anything except wait until you wake up, sorry. The game is really built around squad-level character management, it doesn't offer a lot of tools to deal with a situation like that

On the plus side, you can play effectively single character anyway by just not taking the rest of your clan/gang/faction along. Leave them standing in a city. They won't care.

Ah, I'll probably just build a (small-ish) team right away, then. I still need to figure out some of the game mechanics. I've never even recruited anyone before but I keep hearing about someone named Beep and I'd like to meet them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

HoboTech posted:

Ah, I'll probably just build a (small-ish) team right away, then. I still need to figure out some of the game mechanics. I've never even recruited anyone before but I keep hearing about someone named Beep and I'd like to meet them.
Yeah, I recommend that. Even if you want to do a single character run, having a squad means having things to do while your man is knocked out or sleeping. There is really no downside to it at all.

And Beep is adorable. Bug friend best friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Any number I should aim for in terms of posse size? Or just grab people as I go and see how it feels? I'm going to be playing in like, 3 hours from now, so I'm probably overthinking everything in anticipation.

This game reminds me of old PC games from the late 90s/early 00s, but obviously with way more going on.