Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

exquisite tea posted:

Update: I did not get fired but things are hella tense RN. Prolly gonna be lots of staff meetings in the near future. But for the time being I'm employed and can afford DMCV Deluxe, phew.

Hurray for steady employment! Are you in a position where you can look into other options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PantsBandit posted:

Hurray for steady employment! Are you in a position where you can look into other options?

I'm doing that constantly. But it's higher ed so things move glacially.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

because it'd just make a shitload of money, instead of all the money. that's not acceptable.

That's not the case for a game that wants to stick around and be continuously updated long-term, like an MMO or a pseudo-MMO like Anthem. Eventually you have to make more money if you want to keep developing new stuff. You can do that in a few different ways but eventually you gotta make more money or stop developing stuff for the game. Some games sell DLC, which is totally fine. Some have microtransactions, which is less fine but if it means the content DLC is free I'll put up with it. Some have both paid DLC and microtransactions and then throw yearly paid expansions on top, which is fuckin bullshit, Bungie, you charge too loving much for Destiny all the time

(none of this applies to games with yearly sequels like CoD or poo poo like that, or single-player games)

Again, Splatoon 2 and other first-party games can do a ton without microtransactions because a) they're first-party and don't have to give a giant cut of sales to a platform owner, and b) they're console-sellers and work to generate more revenue for the platform owner that developed the game. Splatoon 2 doesn't need microtransactions because its job (commercially-speaking) is to get you to want to own a Nintendo Switch, which then leads to you buying more Switch games, which means Nintendo gets a cut of all of those sales.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 8, 2019

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

The respawn system is a great mechanic. In other battle royales, if team members die there's always the awkward "well...you can keep going if you want...but maybe we should just quit and start over?" Because nobody wants to just sit there while the rest of the round plays out but also nobody wants to be the rear end in a top hat that forces their friends to quit when they're still alive.

Making your team members return to your corpse if they want to revive you forces them to stay in the action. So either they too die to the team that killed you, or they manage to get to your corpse and get you revived.

From my very statistically significant sample size of 2 games, in the one in which I died immediately and my teammates did not they left my corpse to rot, so I would not count on pubbies being good at the whole squad thing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Again, Splatoon 2 and other first-party games can do a ton without microtransactions because a) they're first-party and don't have to give a giant cut of sales to a platform owner, and b) they're console-sellers and work to generate more revenue for the platform owner that developed the game. Splatoon 2 doesn't need microtransactions because its job (commercially-speaking) is to get you to want to own a Nintendo Switch, which then leads to you buying more Switch games, which means Nintendo gets a cut of all of those sales.

Like, I dunno, subscription MMOs still exist and do fine, as do MMOs that sell expansions instead. Some even do both.

Yeah, most sell some additional cosmetics now, but it's far from their main income model I think.

Also, nobody needs to give "a giant cut of sales to platform owner" on pc, and yet most microtransactions happen on pc apparently.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Truga posted:

Like, I dunno, subscription MMOs still exist and do fine, as do MMOs that sell expansions instead. Some even do both.

Yeah, most sell some additional cosmetics now, but it's far from their main income model I think.

Also, nobody needs to give "a giant cut of sales to platform owner" on pc, and yet most microtransactions happen on pc apparently.

They do though, it's like 20% cuts to valve/EA/Microsoft etc

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There is that one train simulator game with like 10,000 different $0.99 wagons you can buy

e: oops, not quite ninety-nine cents

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

Well, yeah. The subscription fee is the continued monetization. I didn't mention that because it's harder for those games to gain traction now, and if a game like Anthem or The Division 2 tried to charge a mandatory subscription I think it'd backfire spectacularly on them. So they go for microtransactions and/or paid DLC instead.

I'm cutting Anthem a bit of slack here, too, because Bioware has the restraint to at least try to go with one avenue of monetization only instead of multiple. They're doing cosmetic microtransactions and plan to never sell paid content or story DLC/expansions. If that works out for them, I think that'll be fantastic. I kind of doubt it will, but I hope it does. I only really have a problem with it in games like that if they try to double- or triple-dip like Bungie does with Destiny 2.

Truga posted:

You do if you wanna sell your game on Steam or any other storefront. Valve takes a 30% cut of games sold through Steam and that's not unusually large. Epic's store takes a significantly smaller cut which is one of the reasons they're able to lure in exclusives like Metro Exodus.

But like I edited into my above post, none of this applies to games like Call of Duty, where you're releasing a whole new one with millions of sales every single year and yet still selling season passes and loot boxes. Activision doesn't "need" that money to continue supporting CoD because no one CoD is sticking around and having content developed for it for very long. They just know they can get it. I'm not defending that practice one bit.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 8, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

But like I edited into my above post, none of this applies to games like Call of Duty, where you're releasing a whole new one with millions of sales every single year and yet still selling season passes and loot boxes. Activision doesn't "need" that money to continue supporting CoD because no one CoD is sticking around and having content developed for it for very long. They just know they can get it. I'm not defending that practice one bit.

Yeah, that's my main problem too. I don't mind too much if MMOs get subs or microtransaction. Hell, I'm a huge proponent of microtransactions and think they're better for players than subscriptions when done right. D&D online have a model where each patch of content costs 2-20 bux depending on size and patches get released every 2-4 months. I think LOTRO has a similar thing going too. IMO that's much more palatable than having to stay subbed all the time at $10 even if you only want to log in twice that month and you can skip paying for content you don't find interesting.

OTOH MTs for the sake of extracting extra cash from an otherwise single purchase one time game release is just poo poo.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

aren't most subscription based mmo's these days either free to play the first ~20 levels or the base client costs like $15

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I woke up in some kind of science lab and I'm going to take part in some testing. I think I'm helping make new portal technology or something, it's very exciting! The safety messages sound a little intense but I'm sure they wouldn't do anything too risky with people. Everything's going to be fine :)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

aren't most subscription based mmo's these days either free to play the first ~20 levels or the base client costs like $15

Yeah most have a "trial period" where you get to play the first n levels for free, then you need to buy the thing. Used to be limited time trials but I guess that's not the best idea to sell your game, I remember burning out on maybe lineage 2 because i wanted to see as much as possible in those two weeks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there's not really much difference between a game that has regular dlc/box releases and a sub game, anyway. like if you aren't buying the dlc in destiny you aren't playing that game, so that's effectively a 6 or 7 dollar/mo subscription

except, in those kinds of games you almost always get less for your money than games that have explicitly monthly fees

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Often yes. FFXIV, for example, lets you get up to level 35 for free, which is smart because it lets you see all of one class's class quests, try out advanced jobs, and get far enough in the main story to maybe be invested.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

exquisite tea posted:

I'm doing that constantly. But it's higher ed so things move glacially.

did they want you to teach that bowser has eight children when he only has one (bowju)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ceyton posted:

Portal 1/2 is a legit All Time Top 10 game, you're in for something special. (Yeah I'm combining them into a single game because 2 is direct sequel using the same tech, deal with it)

It's really a shame that Valve lost their pride in their work afterwards :(

Why the hell cant you play them on a PS4? It’s so annoying

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It turns out portal testing is fun! I'm a bit concerned about the green poison death sludge but I've been assured that it's all just for show so that's all right :unsmith:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LionArcher posted:

Why the hell cant you play them on a PS4? It’s so annoying

Just make them in dreams. So simple!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Remember when Mario’s voice was a gruff Brooklynite? Before the happy, shrill yelping that can’t form a sentence?

no I don't

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What other MMOs aside from FFXIV and WoW even use subscriptions? Not that I know any other MMOs that are still functional in 2019, but I wonder.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

elder scrolls i think

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Samuringa posted:

What other MMOs aside from FFXIV and WoW even use subscriptions? Not that I know any other MMOs that are still functional in 2019, but I wonder.
they almost all have a sub option, and to varying degrees are made miserable to play without ponying up. ESO and SWTOR are both games that are substantially more playable if you give them $15/mo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Elder Scrolls Online has an optional subscription, though I'd question how optional it really is--it's the only way to get access to the unlimited crafting material bag which is drat near mandatory for long-term play.

It's technically not a required subscription like WoW and FFXIV, but I really wouldn't want to play more than a couple weeks without it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you can still, to this day, subscribe to ff11 and everquest

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Okay, but mandatory subscriptions, as in Pay or Don't Play.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ESO was a game that I played like 100 hours of and went "wait I'm still not anywhere near the end level cap and I've played more than the number of hours I think this game is worth" and then stopped. Maybe I'll jump back in someday idk

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Aww, they said that once the testing is finished they're going to miss me. I really feel like I'm part of the Aperture Science family :3:

That's all I'm gonna play tonight because I don't want to blitz through the entire thing in one go but I look forward to playing more of this wholesome feelgood game tomorrow

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Okay, but mandatory subscriptions, as in Pay or Don't Play.

I think it's literally just WoW and FFXIV, which I admit is a lot fewer than I thought.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

It’s all in ya head, Luigi.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I fell into the ff14 sub pit of playing the original bad version of the game, which gets me a lifetime discount. so I'm like $8/mo, that's practically free I guess

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

volition is being resurrected

https://twitter.com/ChipCheezum/status/1093975020701913088?s=19

maybe this time they wont pin all their hopes on a game like agents of mayhem

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
FF14 is nice in that it gives me a 20% cheaper sub option for only having one character.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

volition is being resurrected

https://twitter.com/ChipCheezum/status/1093975020701913088?s=19

maybe this time they wont pin all their hopes on a game like agents of mayhem

I guess maybe a good Saints Row would be the way to go but I want more Red Faction

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

FF14 is nice in that it gives me a 20% cheaper sub option for only having one character.

Yeah, which is extra nice because there are few reasons to have more than one character anyway.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’d keep an active subscription if it like 95% cheaper per month but you only had access to Triple Triad

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Wait, volition died?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

an actual dog posted:

Wait, volition died?

I don't think so? They made that crappy game Agents of Mayhem but I didn't think it killed the studio or anything.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Update: I did not get fired but things are hella tense RN. Prolly gonna be lots of staff meetings in the near future. But for the time being I'm employed and can afford DMCV Deluxe, phew.

proud of u. how are you feeling about things?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I do recall there was some layoffs cuz AoM did badly, Chip was one of them so good to see he's back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

You can definitely revive players in fortnite so I din't know why people are calling it a respawn thing.