Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I used ipvanish when I couldn't connect and I was expecting the lag to be terrible but it really wasn't that bad, totally playable.

I just looked it up and they have a server in tel aviv (or dubai).

https://www.ipvanish.com/servers/

I also checked and they have a 7 day money back guarantee in case it doesn't work for some reason.

https://support.ipvanish.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002074794-7-day-money-back-guarantee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Unfortunately, I don't actually get the item several times over.

All those lost Manmelters...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

ArfJason posted:

All those lost Manmelters...
Lost in tears... like a pain train in the rain.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Love that I still get scammers adding me impersonating people trying to steal my hats in this dead gay game.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The key to avoiding scammers is to not have any interesting hats.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it took a while but i'm glad valve was able to set up a successful front for their money laundering business that they operate on the side. probably didn't need make it take up so many gigs, though.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
really got a craving for this game again

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Tried the in-game comp mode and hoo boy do people get upset. I've been lucky enough to 4 / 4 matches and every single match had several enemy players complain after every death until they lost. It's just casual with fewer players afaic, but queues are way longer.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Look who I found on a random pub playing Kong King

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm more surprised you got the game running on an N64.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm more surprised you got the game running on an N64.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wow, a PS1 port!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
gang garrison 3d coming along nicely

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Now picturing TF2 with Goldeneye 64's music.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Dead game? Considering trying playing on casual servers.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Definitely not a dead game. I booted it up two nights ago to test my new internet, got into a casual game immediately and proceeded to have a real blast.

It is still full of great fun, challenge and time use even after all these years. I played pyro, medic and scout for the evening just to clean out the rust and dust and it was like slipping on comfortable shoes :D

No other game has done that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I've been booting the game up again over the last few weeks, and it's as active as ever.

I've discovered that running pyro with the Thermal Thruster and the Third Degree can be a lot of fun in pubs. Especially if you got a soldier + medic pubstomping comp on the other team.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ArfJason posted:

really got a craving for this game again

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

TF2 is BACK baby!! (phrase that can be said at any moment of the past 10 years whenever you feel like it)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am most amazed by the fact that I have played so many different FPS games inbetween the last time I properly played (where I was spending a large number of hours a week) about five years ago, and TF2 just effortlessly feels familiar.

My configs and control settings in this do not match any other game, but I never feel hamstrung and the muscle memory instantly begins again.

Great game!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's one of the few major FPSes these days that wasn't designed for consoles first, I think is the thing.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I literally just installed it for the first time. Got any tips to get more than the base items? I'm kinda interested in pyro and sniper

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Captainsalami posted:

I literally just installed it for the first time. Got any tips to get more than the base items? I'm kinda interested in pyro and sniper

Just play the game. Sniper specifically doesn't have an upgrade until you are really good at sniper, then you can trade for the situational "upgrade" for a scrap. Pyro will always only be as good as you are as a player, and still not that great, regardless of the weapons you use. As far as the pyro's other weapons, if you see one you want, you can almost certainly trade it for a scrap.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Man I still judge players skills solely on thier style and unusuals. Im like a bird of paradise looking for a mate.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Hihohe posted:

Man I still judge players skills solely on thier style and unusuals. Im like a bird of paradise looking for a mate.

I roll with all Vintage hat's and mostly stock gear.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I'm super bad right now. Hows the casual matchmaker?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Captainsalami posted:

I'm super bad right now. Hows the casual matchmaker?

Perfect for you.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Captainsalami posted:

Thankfully most classes work quite well with the base items compared to using alternate weapons. I'm sure some goons with a ton of dupes wouldn't mind giving some weapons to a newbie.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Thought this was amusingly idiotic, some guy called Sketchek lied about dying of a terminal illness and it's all come out, straight from him himself, this was seemingly a fairly big deal in the TF2 community when he 'died' and Valve even mentioned it in (as you would) the description for the Axtinguisher after it got buffed.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Captainsalami posted:

Just playing the game will unlock weapons through achievements and random drops. Go this route for now.

If you enjoy the game you'll want to be able to trade with other players or bots for weapons and such, but you'll need to unlock your F2P account -- this is pretty easy, because all you need to do is purchase something off the in-game Mann Co. Store using your Steam wallet. The cheapest thing you can buy which offers a decent return is a $.99 "Tour of Duty Ticket" which you can either resell on Steam Community Market for about $.90 back to your Steam wallet or (after a week) trade for about 20~23 ref. 20~23 ref will get you a full set of weapons and several hats at scrap.tf that uses automated bots with fixed prices.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Check out scrap.tf for weapons you want - don't buy them from the store. If you want to buy something, grab a key and sell it to scrap.tf and buy every single weapon in the game and have a bunch of metal left over for some hats.

I'm sure I'm going to miss some, but here are some of the more decent weapons that are situationally superior to stock weapons, or at least very strong sidegrades. I'm sure others can add some "OMG YOU'RE WRONG YOU DIDN'T MENTION THE _____" but this is what I primarily use situationally when I'm not using stock loadouts.

Scout:
Primary: Use the scattergun. It's amazing. Close-range meatshots ruin everything.
Secondary:
Bonk Energy Drink allows temporary invulnerability allowing you to get past enemy lines or distract a sentry so a teammate can kill it.
Mad Milk splashes onto enemies and gives tiny amounts of health back to you and your team when you cause damage to anyone splashed
Winger lets you jump higher when in use
Melee:
Atomizer allows triple jumps
Holy Mackerel will display hits in your killfeed and can allow you to see if you thumped a cloaked spy or not

Soldier:
Primary:
Black Box removes a rocket but allows self-healing
Direct Hit fast rockets, little splash damage - great for destroying buildings
Secondary:
Buff Banner: No shotgun but you provide a few seconds of minicrits to your team when you cause enough damage
Concheror: No shotgun but you provide a few seconds of movespeed and heal-on-hit to your team when you cause enough damage
Melee:
Disciplinary Action: Whip teammates to grant you both movespeed, has a higher melee range and can hit enemies behind you

Pyro:
Primary:
Backburner: Very strong - grants crits when attacking enemies from behind, slightly better damage than stock, airblast costs more ammo
Phlogistinator: Causing damage builds a meter, rewarded with a few seconds of Minicrits - no airblast
Secondary:
Flare Gun: Crits burning enemies, pretty useless against other pyros
Melee:
Powerjack - runspeed bonus while in use
Homewrecker - Removes sappers from friendly buildings, increased damage against enemy buildings
Back Scratcher - health kits heal you for more, reduced medic healing - great for roaming pyros

Demoman:
Primary:
Loose Cannon: I don't use this but some demo's who have the timing down will consistently wreck me.
Secondary:
Unless you're doing a demoknight loadout, use stock stickybomb launcher.
Melee:
I prefer stock bottle unless demoknighting - both Eyelander and Half Zatoichi have their benefits and disadvantages

Heavy:
Primary:
Tomislav - no spinup, no noise, reduced spread
Secondary:
Sandvich: Right click to throw for a teammate (or enemy) to eat, left-click to self-heal over 5 seconds
Melee:
Gloves of Running Urgently / Eviction Notice - these aren't for killing, they're for running back from spawn after that spy stabbed you for the 12th time

Engineer:
Primary:
Rescue Ranger - allows healing and moving your buildings from a distance, bad at killing
Widowmaker - if you hit every shot, you'll never run out of ammo
Frontier Justice - Kills by your sentry store crits granted when your sentry dies - useful in conjunction with Minisentrys.
Secondary:
Wrangler - you remote control your sentry
Short Circuit - situational, destroys incoming enemy rockets or grenades
Melee:
Gunslinger - instead of a level 3 sentry, you have a rapid-fire level 1 disposable sentry and won't cry when a heavy murders it effortlessly.

Medic:
Primary:
Crusader Crossbow - heals teammates too far for your medigun range
Secondary:
Kritzkrieg - instead of invuln, grants crits when used
Quickfix - useful when healing lots of teammates in rapid succession, grants rapid regen when used
Vaccinator - difficult to get the hang off, allows you to select bullet, explosive, or fire resistance by cycling through each mode.
Melee:
They're basically all upgrades over stock, but I use Solemn Vow to see enemy health and sometimes the riskier Ubersaw option which grants you medigun charge on hit.

Sniper:
I don't play sniper. Huntsman is fun but not too serious. Jarate can be useful situationally. No idea what preferred melee option is.

Spy:
Primary:
Ambassador - headshots are crits, hope you can aim!
Secondary:
Get used to the stock invis watch, it's really the best option.
Dead Ringer - Triggers invis when you get hit tossing out a fake dead body. Only idiots will think you're really dead. Can be used as a Get Out Of Jail Free card if you're trying to get behind enemy lines.
Cloak and Dagger - Please don't use this as you'll spend half the time standing like a statue somewhere thinking you're being sneaky but you're really being useless.
Melee:
Spycicle - silent kills, enemy team doesn't see your kills on their feed, but a pyro will melt it and you're now useless and probably on fire and dead.
Eternal Reward - you cannot disguise unless you stab someone, and now you're them until you attack someone else or die because you're a heavy in the middle of their entire team who just saw the kill.

If I missed something, feel free to add. Stock loadouts are really super powerful in nearly every situation, and there's nothing that I'm aware of in the game that is seriously more OP than stock. Also this post is the most effort I've put into TF2 in years.

VVV Thanks Broken Cog, updated and reworded Frontier Justice. It's been a while

Otacon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 9, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Mostly good, other than that the Backburner, Flaregun, Frontier Justice and Ambassador actually deals crits, not minicrits.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Amby is only crits within 1200 HU

edit: also Third Degree is a straight upgrade for the fire axe, it has no downside and it does damage to anyone connected via medigun beams. nothing like hitting a crit and killing 2 people.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 9, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sniper 100% wants the Bushwhacker if you're taking Jarate, which makes you a serious threat against anything close range. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Soldier can also get good use from the Escape Plan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The rake is pretty good for solo randoms since pub medics are rare, while the Homewrecker is generally the mark of a team player.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Jabor posted:

Sniper 100% wants the Bushwhacker if you're taking Jarate, which makes you a serious threat against anything close range. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Soldier can also get good use from the Escape Plan.

The cleaner's carbine is pretty amazing with the bushwacker now too, since you take more damage from everything now and not just fire, might as well have a secondary weapon.

Combine both with the sydney sleeper to increase your chance of finishing an enemy off with the carbine and getting those 8 sweet seconds of melee crits.

Huntsman, Carbine and Bushwacker almost feels like a separate subclass like demoknight. You go from being a long distance nuisance to some sort of all or nothing mid range assault nutter. it's great.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Btw, just wanted to mention that I downloaded and ran https://mastercomfig.com/ a couple of weeks back, and it boosted my fps from hovering around 50-60 to a stable 90+ with no discernible difference in quality.

very simple to use and configure, too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Pain-train is the superior melee weapon for the Demoman, getting to mid faster then a scout plus capturing as fast as a scout? Yes please.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Irrelevant because the ham is the superior weapon for all classes anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Irrelevant because the ham is the superior weapon for all classes anyway.

Your autocorrect changed pan to ham. That’s weird.