Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I watched the first three episodes of Occupied on Netflix. So far it’s a pretty interesting political drama about Russia (backed by the EU???) staging a hostile occupation of Norway after the Prime Minister shuts down the counties oil production to move to more environmental friendly energy production. There are some “too close to reality” moments like the discussion they have about how they don’t expect any help from the US because they pulled out of NATO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

LifeLynx posted:

I'm interested in what's "unfair" also, maybe that Multiple-Deaths-Nadia is with No-Deaths-Alan and vice-versa, so both are with their partner who didn't grow with them. Or maybe the tunnel solved all that and brought it all into one timeline, who knows.
It's not certain that the timelines merged -- I read the ending as two timelines running in parallel, with the Multiple Death Nadia and Alan separated by place but still joined in time. And that is what is unfair: they had something like twenty meaningful "lives" with each other, and now are paired with someone who may eventually believe them but who cannot share that experience. It is possible that No-Death Alan may come to terms with his separation with Multiple-Death Nadia's help, but she will remain alone in her experience, unable to have her partner understand the existential hell through which she battled.

So I still see it as unfair. Beautiful, but unfair in that they both are robbed of the one person who felt their horror, angst, and confusion. Goddamn, is it a good ending.

Edit: just read in a Polygon article that it's meant to be one of three seasons? I'm not sure how I feel about that.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 8, 2019

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Do any of the streaming services have a respectable library of Hammer Horror? I'd be willing to pick up a new sub for a couple months just to go back and hit some of the high points.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

Do any of the streaming services have a respectable library of Hammer Horror? I'd be willing to pick up a new sub for a couple months just to go back and hit some of the high points.

I loving wish. Short answer is unfortunately no.

Many of them are available relatively cheap on DVD though, although I know we're in the streaming thread.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

You can do Amazon streaming rental for a lot of them but that’ll add up.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

You can do Amazon streaming rental for a lot of them but that’ll add up.

Yeah, I was hoping to get a little more for my money than renting every movie individually but I guess I don't have a lot of options.

Thanks!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's not certain that the timelines merged -- I read the ending as two timelines running in parallel, with the Multiple Death Nadia and Alan separated by place but still joined in time. And that is what is unfair: they had something like twenty meaningful "lives" with each other, and now are paired with someone who may eventually believe them but who cannot share that experience. It is possible that No-Death Alan may come to terms with his separation with Multiple-Death Nadia's help, but she will remain alone in her experience, unable to have her partner understand the existential hell through which she battled.

So I still see it as unfair. Beautiful, but unfair in that they both are robbed of the one person who felt their horror, angst, and confusion. Goddamn, is it a good ending.

Edit: just read in a Polygon article that it's meant to be one of three seasons? I'm not sure how I feel about that.

An article I read on Russian Doll pointed out that when the split-screen merges into one scene, both of them are wearing their Multiple-Death clothes. So the timelines are merged! But there is that weird part with multiple Nadias pushing their way through the crowd.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

Yeah, I was hoping to get a little more for my money than renting every movie individually but I guess I don't have a lot of options.

Thanks!

A good rule of thumb to start is just stick to anything that has the combination of Peter Cushing+Christopher Lee, bonus points for if it was directed by Terence Fisher.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

nate fisher posted:

Yes in season 2 does go into Phillip's cheating, and the show shows Phillip (in flashbacks) being raised by Nazis (it even shows him at a Nazi parade if I remember correctly). They also include that the Queen's uncle collaborated with Nazis. I can't remember if they went that much into the racism, but show has not been that kind to Phillip. I am sure there are things it does gloss over, but in now way would I call it a puff piece.

Yeah, I remember more than a few articles about the first season complaining that the show went to far, specifically the stuff about Queen giving her husband some mouth business. Or maybe it was the Queen Mum, either way the monarchy’s supporters really hated the show.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 8, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Three seasons could work for Russian Doll as long as it doesn’t follow the same characters, but I feel like if it’s the same setup it’ll lose a lot of the mystery and tension. The one season basically felt like a long movie and I don’t think it needs a sequel.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

A good rule of thumb to start is just stick to anything that has the combination of Peter Cushing+Christopher Lee, bonus points for if it was directed by Terence Fisher.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the tip. Those are definitely two of the faces I intended to watch out for, knowing which director to associate them with is a big plus.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Good to hear that about The Crown. From the promotional stuff it looked like the feel good story of how great the queen is for overcoming all her difficulties.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

LifeLynx posted:

An article I read on Russian Doll pointed out that when the split-screen merges into one scene, both of them are wearing their Multiple-Death clothes. So the timelines are merged! But there is that weird part with multiple Nadias pushing their way through the crowd.

Yes, when I watched it I went back to make sure the outfits lined up. It's hard to see at first because not only is Nadia the focus of the chaotic shot, Alan's clothing blends with the chaos more than her black jacket. It's hard to tell if Nadia realized it yet, but Alan is super happy and jumping around. I presume because he realizes that the Nadia he knows is back.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm assuming that S2 won't be Groundhog Day and they'll make use of a different alternate narrative thing.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Chainsawdomy posted:

Justwatch.com is accurate 99% of the time.

thanks for this - think I might re-watch Justified

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
Just watched Swiss Army Man on Netflix, and drat if that wasn't the most entertaining film I have seen in a while. I feel like I have been watching a lot of stuff just to check it off my (proverbial not literal) list rather than for the enjoyment of it, and while this was one of those, it turned into a really great watch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everyone watch Six String Samurai on Prime. Mad Max with surf rock.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

HBO Now just updated their XBone app and continues the trend of video service updates making the interface significantly worse.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

marktheando posted:

Good to hear that about The Crown. From the promotional stuff it looked like the feel good story of how great the queen is for overcoming all her difficulties.

That's kind of what I expected going in and I was disappointed until I realized what the show actually is, which is essentially the slow suicide of a person in order to become the symbol her country needs. Reminded me of Dune in a way tbh.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

precision posted:

I have such mixed feelings about that movie. It came out when I was in college in the late '90s and even then, I wanted to love it, but it features the worst, most obnoxious performance from a kid actor ever. But otherwise, it's loving rad, and I still love the soundtrack by the Red Elvises, a real band I've seen live twice. (They also appear in the movie.)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I have such mixed feelings about that movie. It came out when I was in college in the late '90s and even then, I wanted to love it, but it features the worst, most obnoxious performance from a kid actor ever. But otherwise, it's loving rad, and I still love the soundtrack by the Red Elvises, a real band I've seen live twice. (They also appear in the movie.)
Goddamnit I had blissfully forgotten that kid exists

We watched it at a work movie night and I would get random calls days later from a coworker going MAAH! and hanging up

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

precision posted:

The first time I saw Six String Samurai I was a teenager and I absolutely loved the movie, but I tried watching it again last year and absolutely hated every second of it. If you have fond memories of it, don’t even attempt a rewatch because it’s bad. It’s real bad.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Steven Soderbergh's new basketball movie (that has almost no actual basketball in it) High Flying Bird is up on Netflix, if you're interested in the business side of sports at all, or the complicated racial issues surrounding professional sports, it's pretty great. It would probably be pretty hard to follow without at least a little knowledge of how the NBA works though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If I hadn't watched Continuum already, this totally apt description would completely sell me on it.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Sarchasm posted:

I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the tip. Those are definitely two of the faces I intended to watch out for, knowing which director to associate them with is a big plus.

Don’t miss Charles Gray consuming all the scenery in the brilliant The Devil Rides Out. Also the hilarious Twins of Evil, Dracula AD 1972 and the bizarre Legend of The 7 Golden Vampires.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Watched Polar. It was...okay.

It's one of those where if you saw the trailer though, you pretty much saw the movie.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Toodles posted:

Just watched Swiss Army Man on Netflix, and drat if that wasn't the most entertaining film I have seen in a while. I feel like I have been watching a lot of stuff just to check it off my (proverbial not literal) list rather than for the enjoyment of it, and while this was one of those, it turned into a really great watch.

It is an incredibly weird funny sad great movie

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Swiss Army Man is one of my favorite movies of that year and of all time. Although I imagine it doesn't work for everyone!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Stop Making Sense is the best drat concert film of all time, on Amazon Prime.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Swiss Army Man is one of my favorite movies of that year and of all time. Although I imagine it doesn't work for everyone!

I loved the pitch the directors gave to Dano when they were talking about getting him in the movie: "The first fart makes you laugh, the last fart makes you cry."

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Fargin Icehole posted:

Watched Polar. It was...okay.

It's one of those where if you saw the trailer though, you pretty much saw the movie.

I watched it today, as soon as the credits rolled and I saw "based on a graphic novel" all my complaints were explained.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
On a whim I watched I, Tonya yesterday and it was excellent. I watched the 30 for 30 about Harding a few years ago so I knew a bunch about it already but the movie did a good job at showing what a poo poo life she had and pointed out that she was a victim of a lot of stuff that would break most people. And to be only 23 and in such a position, I can't imagine. But that being said she probably knew what was going on and got what she deserved, I don't know. It's hard to be too sympathetic when an innocent person is physically attacked, even if you've been through abuse yourself.

I also watched Hot Tub Time Machine because I hadn't seen it in a while. Half way through I realized I was watching another movie with Sebastian Stan in it, haha.

e:. For clarity he plays Jeff Gillooly in I, Tonya.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 10, 2019

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

Pingiivi posted:

I loved the pitch the directors gave to Dano when they were talking about getting him in the movie: "The first fart makes you laugh, the last fart makes you cry."

This.

I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud as much as I did and then to actually cry at parts of this movie. I am going to rewatch it now, as it has crept into my top five of all time movies.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I did a back-to-back cult movie binge the other night. That is, movies about cults. First I watched The Apostle which is about a guy who goes to retrieve his sister from an island cult. It has a good start, but kinda goes sideways in the second half. Next I watched The Endless which was a very cool indie sci-fi/horror flick about two brothers who return to the ufo death cult they escaped a decade earlier.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Russian Doll didn’t quite live up to the hype for me but I still had fun watching it. I kept waiting for it to turn the corner into crazy town but it felt oddly down to earth given the premise.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
This weekend we watched a double-feature of suspense movies set on trains that taught the lesson of not making small talk with people you meet on them: The Commuter and Transsiberian, both on Amazon Prime. Both were intense and fun.

Then we watched The Spanish Prisoner on Showtime Anytime, which reiterated the lesson of not befriending chatty strangers. That was a fantastic little David Mamet film I saw 20 years ago and had largely forgotten.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Class Warcraft posted:

I did a back-to-back cult movie binge the other night. That is, movies about cults. First I watched The Apostle which is about a guy who goes to retrieve his sister from an island cult. It has a good start, but kinda goes sideways in the second half. Next I watched The Endless which was a very cool indie sci-fi/horror flick about two brothers who return to the ufo death cult they escaped a decade earlier.

The Apostle is cool because I did not see it going the direction that it did and then they pulled out the brain drill

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Class Warcraft posted:

Next I watched The Endless which was a very cool indie sci-fi/horror flick about two brothers who return to the ufo death cult they escaped a decade earlier.

If you liked that, you should check out Spring by the same guys. I don’t know if it’s streaming anywhere, but it’s a really solid indie monster flick with a unique setting for the genre.

I haven’t seen their first movie, Resolution, but I hear it’s also very solid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Spring is on Shudder if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Martha Marcy May Marlene is a really good, "grounded" depiction of a young woman's (played by Emily Olsen) attempts to leave a backwoods cult. Really unsettling cinematography.