Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Typical Pubbie posted:

I mean I'm half-joking since we don't know if this was the first attempt after a series of dry runs, but if an internet detective knew about this plane, Caracas ATC did too and so did the PSUV.

keep in mind that the united states is by far venezuela's largest source of imported goods, so it's entirely plausible that corrupt and underpaid customs officials would not see the flights as unusual and routinely fail to check for smuggled goods hidden among whatever else is in the plane.

maybe they made it all up, but there's not really any reason to think the us wouldn't smuggle weapons into the country and a whole lot of reason to think they would. the flight destinations here (venezuela + colombia), the weapons, the frequency of the flights, and the dates strongly point to cia.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Elliot Abrams would never smuggle weapons to right-wing opposition groups.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Presenting Nipples posted:

it's hard to believe, isn't it?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Truga posted:

this, but unironically.

also,
https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1093467453168988161
I guess civil war is ready to kick off now. Maduro followers getting armed by russians, opposition followers getting armed by cia,

This is hosed. Very Hitler-esque volkstrumm poo poo.

But yeah Maduro is just this great bus driver guy he is doing everything for the people.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

patonthebach posted:

some anti-nazi volkstrumm

terrorist volkstrumm

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vasukhani posted:

terrorist volkstrumm

:emptyquote:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
like jesus loving christ guy i'm from slovenia the only reason my entire people weren't genocided in death camps during ww2 by germans and italians and post ww2 by stalin is because the local people picked up some guns and started shooting, you might want to be careful with the bullshit you say

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
I'm absolutely convinced that exactly none of the people in that video would pick up their rifle and go fight for Maduro if anyone invaded Venezuela. I think it's disgusting that the government parades people like that.

On the other hand though, the ELN says it's up for a fight.

Presenting Nipples posted:

lol I forgot about Elliot Abrams :tif: this gave me a really good chuckle.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

patonthebach posted:

loving lol, i'll take my sixer. just lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Chuck Boone posted:

I'm absolutely convinced that exactly none of the people in that video would pick up their rifle and go fight for Maduro if anyone invaded Venezuela. I think it's disgusting that the government parades people like that.

They look like communards. Maybe they won't fight, but I don't think the government is making them parade around. They're being true to their convictions.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If anything, common people being armed is good for venezuela, since maduro wouldn't have a monopoly on violence anymore. Even if his bullshit regime manages to miraculously survive this, it'll need to steer left pretty hard to not get removed incredibly quickly.

Question is if any of those people were ever given ammo.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Truga posted:

If anything, common people being armed is good for venezuela, since maduro wouldn't have a monopoly on violence anymore. Even if his bullshit regime manages to miraculously survive this, it'll need to steer left pretty hard to not get removed incredibly quickly.

Question is if any of those people were ever given ammo.

Venezuela enacted a ban on civilian firearms possession in 2012, not that any such ban works (anywhere near) 100%.

Ammo for the Mosins?
Possibly, as the Venezuelan Army uses the SVD rifle, chambered in the same round. Wonder where they got them though. VZ used western European designs before commiting to the AK-103 (a modernized, rechambered AK74M). I guess all the older FN Mausers and FN49s got sold on the US collector market, in which case Russian (or Bulgarian, or Ukrainian, or Hungarian) surplus would make for cheap third-line equipment.

Honestly, flooding VZ in firearms wouldn't take much more than the Army passing out AKs. 100,000 bought direct, and who knows how many more made under contract in Venezuela.
This, I suspect, is partly how the collectivos were armed.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The most likely answer is that a bunch of random guns were tossed on a sheet so the US could be accused of smuggling them.

Also the power went out twice during Maduro's press conference and he screamed at the electricity minister lol

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Truga posted:

like jesus loving christ guy i'm from slovenia the only reason my entire people weren't genocided in death camps during ww2 by germans and italians and post ww2 by stalin is because the local people picked up some guns and started shooting, you might want to be careful with the bullshit you say

Hmm facism and communism are really lovely you say?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

patonthebach posted:

Hmm facism and communism are really lovely you say?

well this is going to go places

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

AGGGGH BEES posted:

The most likely answer is that a bunch of random guns were tossed on a sheet so the US could be accused of smuggling them.

Also the power went out twice during Maduro's press conference and he screamed at the electricity minister lol

This still doesn't explain who paid for the month of non-stop plane flights that preceded this discovery.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Truga posted:

this, but unironically.

also,
https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1093467453168988161
I guess civil war is ready to kick off now. Maduro followers getting armed by russians, opposition followers getting armed by cia,

Reminds me of (stupid call of duty mission video)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 9, 2019

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Socks4Hands posted:

This still doesn't explain who paid for the month of non-stop plane flights that preceded this discovery.

Probably people who’s were using the vast majority of the planes capacity to ship goods?

I could also see it using Venezuela as a stop off point after if it gets some insane deal on gas

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vasukhani posted:

terrorist volkstrumm

Yeah but actually :umberto:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/steffanwatkins/status/1094008901618552833?s=20

Nope, no CIA involvement at all.

Where's bellingcat and other "citizen journalists" when you need them?

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1094015552966848517
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1094017538504212481
Applies to this thread as well

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Poor Maduro.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

https://twitter.com/steffanwatkins/status/1094008901618552833?s=20

Nope, no CIA involvement at all.

Where's bellingcat and other "citizen journalists" when you need them?

Watkins is one of their guys. He's worked with Bellingcat on a number of projects.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Truga posted:

I know I'm being pedantic but collectivization isn't nationalization.

fair point

I don't think I'd trust PSUV to collectivize a lemonade stand either

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Remember capslock is a hanzi which is like a piss colored nazi so just be deaf to him he cares nothng for venezuelanas

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Remember capslock is a hanzi which is like a piss colored nazi
What the gently caress, really not helping the "opposition is not racist" case here

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

https://www.afp.com/en/news/15/venezuelas-guaido-wont-rule-out-us-intervention-force-maduros-hand-doc-1d73ed2

Here's the original source from what I've dug up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm interested in what mediating source he's specifically making it hard to identify by reposting just the title and an image, as an image.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's RT lmao. https://www.rt.com/news/451026-guaido-venezuela-military-intervention/

No wonder they didn't post the actual news article.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Under Maduro's stewardship, Venezuela's economy has collapsed leaving the country wracked by hyperinflation, recession and shortages of basic necessities such as food and medicine.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Under Maduro's stewardship, Venezuela's economy has collapsed leaving the country wracked by hyperinflation, recession and shortages of basic necessities such as food and medicine.

Yeah because of bourgeoisie and US/International sabatage, intended to set the stage for a invasion/right wing coup.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
It's also kind of weird to imply Maduro is some kind of king, Venezuela is a vibrant democracy with collective decision making and democratic process from the very bottom to the top.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nvm

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 9, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ChaseSP posted:

It's RT lmao. https://www.rt.com/news/451026-guaido-venezuela-military-intervention/

ofc, I shoulda recognized the damned formatting. I like how they jump straight from food aid to military, plus the double scare quote action.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ace of Baes posted:

It's also kind of weird to imply Maduro is some kind of king, Venezuela is a vibrant democracy with collective decision making and democratic process from the very bottom to the top.

Read the op dude.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Pharohman777 posted:

Read the op dude.

Read their post history.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

That's not going to surprise anybody in this thread. We've known the US has had lines of communication open to the military for over a year now. Pushing the Venezuelan military to side with Guaido and remove Maduro is the explicit goal of US Venezuela policy.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

This is just a reprint. The source of the article is Agence-France Presse.

https://www.afp.com/en/news/15/venezuelas-guaido-wont-rule-out-us-intervention-force-maduros-hand-doc-1d73ed2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

I'm still left wondering actually.

It's old news anyway iirc, he didn't rule it out a week or so (maybe two) ago either. It might of been from cnn article but I can't remember for the life of me, it was definitely brought up since it's an obvious question to ask.

e: feb 2nd looks like in an al jazeera interview

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 9, 2019