Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

gay picnic defence posted:

Won't be long before the bad years start to outnumber the good years for farming in a lot of places and huge tracts of land will no longer be profitable.
i'm gambling my career on this being true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Jesus I found the idiot boomer talking point source

https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

JBP posted:

holy poo poo i never heard of this and it's marketing gold thank you

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Goddamn if these aren't just the most self-interested bunch of fucks in the country.

I'm glad my parents don't hold with any of that poo poo; but they also didn't really benefit from Howard's "let's gently caress everyone older or younger than us" policy jamboree either. I think they actually spend a fair bit of time yelling at other boomers to stop being awful, which is a nice touch.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Chinese billionaire and major political donor Huang Xiangmo has hit out at a decision to bar him from Australia, describing his treatment as “grotesquely unfair” and telling political parties to return his money if they believe it was given inappropriately.

Huang has been effectively barred from re-entering Australia after authorities blocked his bid for citizenship and cancelled his residency. Concerns have been raised about his long-running involvement with the Australian Council for the Promotion of the Peaceful Reunification of China, which experts say acts as part of China’s global influence network.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP posted:

How much land is too much?
Grant lives on acreage and is unclear how that affects an Age Pension.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

And if they let transwomen in, before you know it they'll be letting prostitutes in with the real women as well

or people that p'shop heads of respectable Greens onto the body of a "cheap woman".

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Labor has fired the first shot in a new campaign that targets Liberal MPs who signed a petition that helped bring down Malcolm Turnbull, urging voters to turn against those who backed last year’s leadership spill.

The Labor campaign is using direct mail to tens of thousands of households to tell voters their Liberal MP created chaos by signing the papers to hold the leadership ballot.

The first mail-out has gone to 70,000 households in the marginal seat of Boothby in Adelaide to remind residents their local member, Nicolle Flint, was one of those who put their names to the petition.

"She followed Tony Abbott… and threw the country into complete chaos,” says the flyer.

Labor will repeat the tactic against Liberals in other capital cities using the list of signatures on the petition, which was released to the media in the hours after Mr Turnbull lost the ballot and was replaced by Scott Morrison.

Those who are vulnerable to the campaign include Jason Wood in La Trobe, a Melbourne seat the Liberals hold by a margin of just 3.2 per cent, and Steve Irons in Swan, held by 3.6 per cent according to a pendulum prepared by ABC election analyst Antony Green.

Others include Luke Howarth in the outer-Brisbane seat of Petrie, held by 1.7 per cent, Ross Vasta in the south Brisbane seat of Bonner, held by 3.4 per cent, and Michael Sukkar in the Melbourne seat of Deakin, held by 6.4 per cent but seen by Labor as a potential target.

Ms Flint was seen as a prime target for the Labor flyer because she signed the petition just after Mr Abbott and just before Peter Dutton, the Home Affairs Minister who challenged Mr Turnbull but could not defeat Mr Morrison.

While the ABC pendulum estimates Ms Flint holds Boothby by just 2.7 per cent, the Liberals believe she has a strong chance because she has worked hard to shore up her support since winning the seat in 2016.

Ms Flint said the fact that Labor was resorting to a "personal attack" showed it had no positive plan for voters in Boothby.

"All the Labor Party is focussed on is taxing people more and launching personal attacks. In contrast, I will continue to listen to my community and work as hard as I can to deliver on the issues and the projects that matter to my local residents," she said.

Labor senator Alex Gallacher, who authorised the direct mail campaign, defended the way it targeted an individual MP.

"Nicolle Flint and Peter Dutton teamed up to knife Malcolm Turnbull and they are responsible for the chaos and division of this illegitimate government,” he said.

The Liberal Party is countering the Labor campaign by telling votes in Boothby they stand to lose from Labor tax revenue increases including cuts to tax refunds from changes to dividend imputation rules.

"Bill Shorten doesn't want the voters of Boothby to know that his $200 million of higher taxes - on retirees, on housing, on incomes, on family businesses and on electricity - would damage our economy, put jobs at risk and hurt families," said Liberal Party federal director Andrew Hirst.

The size of the mail-out, which comes at a considerable cost compared to social media campaigns, is a sign of Labor’s willingness to spend significant amounts in marginal seats by exploiting the relatively low popularity of Mr Dutton.

"Instability is one of the main reasons people have turned off the Liberals," a Labor source said.

"Every Liberal who voted against Turnbull can expect to see this sort of thing arrive in letterboxes across their electorates. Voters won’t forget it."

-

Shots fired. If all they can do to counter this is talk about Labor increasing taxes, then they don't have any money, and are hosed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's not a representative survey but that's what makes it so funny

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1093811329071079425

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That must’ve been awkward for those tory fucks

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Noted left wing channel Sky News

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Lol loving owned. The media are going so hard on this and even Sky News CHUDs still don't give a gently caress.

They must have had something like 80% of the rich white investor Boomer crowd already, according to polling it's by far their strongest demographic. What a waste of time and money.

Maybe their tactic was just to make enough noise that Shorten caved, which is fair enough, I'm surprised he hasn't.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Don Dongington posted:

Lol loving owned. The media are going so hard on this and even Sky News CHUDs still don't give a gently caress.

They must have had something like 80% of the rich white investor Boomer crowd already, according to polling it's by far their strongest demographic. What a waste of time and money.

Maybe their tactic was just to make enough noise that Shorten caved, which is fair enough, I'm surprised he hasn't.

Give him time

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why are Aussie boomers such dickheads, according to this thread?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

This lists the QLD Government grants

Thanks for that i'll pass it on to her and some others.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Grouchio posted:

As a generation they come across as entitled fucks who scream bloody murder if a proposed policy even slightly inconveniences them. They benefited enormously from progressive government policy (although they’d never admit to it - if you ask a boomer they’re almost guaranteed to tell you it was because “they worked hard “) in their younger years but since then have pulled the ladder up behind them by supporting the winding back of said progressive policies in favour of tax breaks that primarily benefit their cohort.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Grouchio posted:

because they represent a class of individuals who profited off a very specific set of social and economic conditions which were not sustainable into the future, and as a class, continue to advocate for social policies which unduly impact poor/young people while only being self-interested in upholding the old status quo

It's equal parts "gently caress You, Got Mine" and (by these days) conservative ideas about the way society should be structured. What we are seeing now is some of the death knells of the Boomer class, we've finally reached a turning point where they aren't the most numerous voting demographic which is why you see the ALP with ~slightly~ more progressive policies.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

That's also true of boomers in the US and UK, but it is probably even more clearly evidenced in Australia. Things like having completely free university education, only to end up favouring slashing funding, privatising and deregulating. Then Howard kept the good times rolling for them at great expense to everyone else with ridiculous policy like this franking thing.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Grouchio posted:

One word; selfishness.

Aussie boomers grew up with a booming economy, a lenient housing market, free university / tafe and medicare for all.

They've hosed the housing market with their greed with the cost of houses far exceeding household income.

The economy is built on the foundation of the housing market which is not only noticably stagnant (Sydney and Melbourne prices held water for about a year, everywhere else has seen big drops in house price), and has been for some time, it's now crumbling, with the previously stable Sydney and Melbourne losing 10% of their value in the last year.

We're starting to see articles about people desperately trying to cash out before they can't, and complaining they're not getting enough for their investment.

Free University was gutted ages ago, and all of our courses now cost money, as a result no one wants to pay the exorbitant fees to go to uni (further; a few years back the current federal government ((Republican / Tory equivalents)) tried to "uncap" the cost of uni fees - I believe they failed)

Medicare is still here, but for how much longer who can say, the current federal government's been trying to strangle it in its crib the entire time it's been in office. It's not been able to kill it, but it's giving it a damned good crack.

To say nothing of the import of USA SovCit culture, a general contempt for the generations that came after them as lazy and entitled, while those generations deal with affordable house prices (see fig1 below), unstable employment contracts, and extremely expensive education: none of which the boomer generation had to deal with, who all massively benefited from spiraling house prices and who vehemently do not believe in climate change.

In conclusion, boomers the world over are fuckwits and we'd be best served by stringing them the gently caress up.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
the legacy of the Boomers is one of self-interest and loving the environment all in the name of having another holiday house on the Gold Coast

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

Noted left wing channel Sky News

it's just all the bitter news ltd employees at their desk voting on this poll.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

boomers were the most annoying faction in new vegas

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

A Modest Proposal For Preventing the Parents of All People From Being a Burden to Their Children or Country, and For making them Beneficial to the Public.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hambeet posted:

it's just all the bitter news ltd employees at their desk voting on this poll.

Uhhh. Yeah probably.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

hambeet posted:

boomers were the most annoying faction in new vegas

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Grouchio posted:

A microcosm of why is that my dad is in hospital dying of toxic masculinity that prevented him coming to terms with ageing. They are culturally damaged by historical Australian values, even the left ones.

Selfishness as virtue is one of the worst facets and it doesn't necessarily need to manifest in franking credits

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 9, 2019

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

JBP posted:

A microcosm of why is that my dad is in hospital dying of toxic masculinity that prevented him coming to terms with ageing. They are culturally damaged by historical Australian values, even the left ones.
also high levels of atmospheric lead

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

pikachode posted:

also high levels of atmospheric lead

More that the worst ones have ingested enough alcohol over their lives that their brains have gone Latham

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

More that the worst ones have ingested enough alcohol over their lives that their brains have gone Latham

i'm doing my best to catch up though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hambeet posted:

i'm doing my best to catch up though

I don't drink alcohol because gently caress boomer life

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also Joe Hildebrand is having a cry about feelings trumping fact milking as much as possible out of kak maligning indigenous people.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

In conclusion, boomers the world over are fuckwits and we'd be best served by stringing them the gently caress up.
The best you are probaby going to get is watching them suffer in the beds they have literally made for themselves.

Dumped in some hosed up unregulated nursing home or an “independent living” prison staffed by Matthew Wales types where the kids don’t even visit for Christmas sounds about fair.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Graic Gabtar posted:

The best you are probaby going to get is watching them suffer in the beds they have literally made for themselves.

Dumped in some hosed up unregulated nursing home or an “independent living” prison staffed by Matthew Wales types where the kids don’t even visit for Christmas sounds about fair.

I'm sure most would move heaven and earth for their mothers, but a lot of dads are PrOblEmAtiC

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 9, 2019

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Selfishness as virtue is one of the worst facets and it doesn't necessarily need to manifest in franking credits

I'm sorry about your dad JBP.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

I don't drink alcohol because gently caress boomer life

real talk sorry about your dad

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

my parents don't drink, never did. but i defined myself as a young male by how many centurions i had completed

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

sorry to hear about your dad jbp

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JBP posted:

Also Joe Hildebrand is having a cry about feelings trumping fact milking as much as possible out of kak maligning indigenous people.

Beat me to his bloo bloo

https://www.news.com.au/national/jo...45f71e203baf862

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

1. Would Australia be able to physically support its population if it doubled to 50 million?

2. How are the elections looking this year for Labor and The Greens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Grouchio posted:

1. Would Australia be able to physically support its population if it doubled to 50 million?

Yes.

quote:

2. How are the elections looking this year for Labor and The Greens?

"In the bag" would be a reasonable assessment except we always underestimate labor's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.