Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

this is the most insane thing ive ever read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

honestly i dont' give a gently caress about any bad thing that happens to jeff benzos

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

univbee posted:

From what I remember it was just audio splicing and actors doing "no please don't Arnold".

Nah they “redo” the entire helicopter scene at the beginning with a completely different take including different actions and words, etc. They also digitally replace a former running man contestant with Arnold and the girl using some old footage of a fight with captain what’s his face (Jesse Ventura) to make it look like they got killed that way.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah the part with the helicopter was that the military ordered arnold who has flying the helicopter to shoot at a civillian protest and then when he refused the other guys in the helicopter incapacitated him and did it, then the government released a doctored video where it looks like the guy on the radio is saying please arnold dont shoot at those civillians and hes like i will kill all these civillians to make it look like the massacre was just the fault of one crazed lone wolf and the government wasnt evilly slaughtering the people

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the running man is such a good movie

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvuJqh6eJQ0

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JustPlainTweets/status/1093600480004096002?s=19

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

wendies is now my feminist icon

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Never trust a brand

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

quote:

And just last month, the New York Times reported that the Army is scaling back ads on network sports broadcasts in favor of targeted ads on Facebook and Twitch, Amazon’s live-streaming gaming platform. “Recruiters will soon be required, not just encouraged, to post on Instagram,” per the same report.

Moore sees the social media approach to recruiting as a way to help spread awareness amongst prospective Gen Z candidates, which she suggests is a more effective way of outreach than recruiters on the ground. “So they’re on Instagram, they’re on Snapchat,” she says. “The data shows that young people don’t know what military service is or looks like, and therefore, they don’t consider it. So I think sheer exposure is always better because the point is to say, this is something you can consider.”

https://twitter.com/WeAreMel/status/1093863251975245824

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDn_-QJ--9E

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

for shining examples of this look at /r/justbootthings

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ugato posted:

Nah they “redo” the entire helicopter scene at the beginning with a completely different take including different actions and words, etc. They also digitally replace a former running man contestant with Arnold and the girl using some old footage of a fight with captain what’s his face (Jesse Ventura) to make it look like they got killed that way.

Ah OK, it's been a while since I watched it. It's great and I remember the broad strokes but clearly forgot this nuance.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

It's 2019 and the trillion dollar military is recruiting kids with a rap video that brags that your electric bill and water bill will be paid for if you join.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

everything i've learned about being paid in the US military is that might happen if you get lucky but its more likely they'll wildly overpay it and then you go months earning basically nothing as they make up the difference

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

This was a scene from Ready Player 1 where the ceo guy has a bunch of nerds feed him cool nerd facts through an earpiece

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

pushpins posted:

This was a scene from Ready Player 1 where the ceo guy has a bunch of nerds feed him cool nerd facts through an earpiece

"A fanboy knows a hater"

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

I like the bearded bald guy going for an unironic rendition of that meme about how women who like "manly" hobbies get bombarded with meaningless trivia questions. Doing it to a fast food points for extra points too.

If I didn't know we live in hell I'd say it has to be a parody.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/kami/status/1093913146748792832?s=21

seems like corporate surveillance is particularly interested in what’s in our refrigerators lately.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

a cyberpunk goose posted:

wendies is now my feminist icon

“Yaas queen,” I said to the sassy composite sponsor personality, represented online by a line drawing of a young girl. “You should be president. It’s your turn.”

“It’s your turn,” I repeated, clapping as I uttered each blessed word, adding emphasis to my prayer.

Contrary to the promises of the corporate priest holders, I did not feel empowered by the ritual, but I believed with perfect faith that I would feel empowered in the next world. At that time and in that place would be my turn.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Rhesus Pieces posted:

seems like corporate surveillance is particularly interested in what’s in our refrigerators lately.

It'll innovate public assistance by making sure people on food stamps don't have too much food

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Shear Modulus posted:

they couldnt kill arnold so they had jesse ventura kill some random guy and then edited the video to replace the guy with arnold

The also manufactured photos of the previous winners enjoying the prize money in Hawaii - in reality, they were burned alive. When rebels hijack the signal, they replay that segment, but with photos of the charred corpses of the guys instead of the fake photos

Koishi Komeiji posted:

It's 2019 and the trillion dollar military is recruiting kids with a rap video that brags that your electric bill and water bill will be paid for if you join.

This is dystopian as gently caress. Straight up "service guarantees citizenship" Starship Troopers poo poo

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's so they can narc you out to your insurance company.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what you buy at the grocery store is like the only big-money buying habit that the online data companies arent hoovering up yet

the grocery stores have that data of course either from a loyalty card program or just associating your purchases on the same credit card but i doubt theyre sharing

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Feb 8, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
retail sales data is the one kind the business involved actually needs to collect to make their stupid poo poo work. ofc retail businesses could just stop doing just in time logistics, but until then you desperately need that sales data to make your predictions

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the grocery stores could always track inventory to plan what they need to order and when but tracking what each individual customer buys and then algorithmically offering them personalized advertisements or coupons to get them to buy more is relatively recent and took off about the same time that the online retailers started doing it

e: like the teenage girl who target guessed was pregnant based off her buying certain products and mailed her a bunch of coupons to try and establish target as the store where she would buy all her baby poo poo

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 22:51 on Feb 8, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
monitoring fridge contents lets them know more or less when you're going to the store and what kind of store you tend to go to, gives them some insight into whether you're planning some kind of social event or get-together, gives an idea of lifestyle choices and cultural stuff, and so on

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
so if i buy beer too much at safeway using my club card they jack up my health insurance costs right

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

usually they look for cigarettes

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

hackbunny posted:

This is dystopian as gently caress. Straight up "service guarantees citizenship" Starship Troopers poo poo

Service gaurantees a minimum standard of living while you serve, citizen.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
i love installing updates on my basic home appliances

also the updates make the appliances break down over time

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Shear Modulus posted:

usually they look for cigarettes

Probably not going to find too many in the fridge

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shear Modulus posted:

e: like the teenage girl who target guessed was pregnant based off her buying certain products and mailed her a bunch of coupons to try and establish target as the store where she would buy all her baby poo poo

She bought prenatal vitamins.

It doesn’t take a data scientist to tell that she’s pregnant.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Reminder: Target has collected data to the point such that back in 2012 they could predict a girl's pregnancy before she had even told her parents (https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/#e43e80a66686).

they (and every other major retailer) almost certainly sell that data several times over, and have been for years/decades, especially the data harvested from membership records (what you buy at the supermarket, CVS, etc)

god dammit shear I was writing this as you edited / nevermind I can't fuckin read

look whatever your data is out there ok

also excellent point re: the prenatal vitamins

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Wendy's should make hot versions of everyone like they did for the real Wendy

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Food Boner posted:

so if i buy beer too much at safeway using my club card they jack up my health insurance costs right

if I fill my fridge with the wrong things they'll eventually think I'm dead, then they forget to close my account and/or send me other bill. way to game the system, me

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I've seen that anecdote trotted out so many times by laymen to illustrate the power of data science that I wouldn't be surprised if it's founded on a lie.
Not the part where a Target data scientist highlighted it but whether they actually had the ability to predict it reliably.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Tape pics of the goatman over every cam in your house

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

shrike82 posted:

I've seen that anecdote trotted out so many times by laymen to illustrate the power of data science that I wouldn't be surprised if it's founded on a lie.
Not the part where a Target data scientist highlighted it but whether they actually had the ability to predict it reliably.

No doubt they had a model that was 84% accurate. The part they dont mention is that they're probably getting 10 false positives for every true positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

they (and every other major retailer) almost certainly sell that data several times over, and have been for years/decades, especially the data harvested from membership records (what you buy at the supermarket, CVS, etc)
hot tip: when it asks for your membership ID, put in the phone number (your area code) 867-5309.

Guaranteed some goober already put that in, so you get the savings but their tracking is hosed up.