Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the snow has begun, i repeat the snow has begun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've never had a job even suggest sharing a room with someone else during travel/whatever. Even as a young dude working with mostly other young guys or working for a severe corp that loved to gently caress people over. I'd take that as a pretty big red flag.

I'm pretty interested by the reaction of the idea of doubling up in rooms. It's always been the norm when it's come up in my career. I don't travel for business, but whenever there's bad weather it's always a thing. Like they've always made sure you stay with the same gender and all, and I've always noped out because I never wanted to do share a room with another co-worker, but I'm surprised others haven't encountered this. I don't agree that people should be doubled up, but I'm not sure if y'all have just worked for really great companies or I've worked for really terrible companies (I have). I wonder what the average is for companies doing that.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the snow has begun, i repeat the snow has begun

Oh gently caress, you're right. I put off going to the supermarket for an hour. When Cliff Mass says be home by noon, be home by noon.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Went from 0 to snowmachine in a bout 5 min

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Don't feel bad, its not like your supermarket had any bread, milk, produce or meat in stock.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
Lots of snow is coming down in Olympia right now. The store had food, but not carts or baskets, and the drivers had already lost their drat minds.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

1glitch0 posted:

I'm pretty interested by the reaction of the idea of doubling up in rooms. It's always been the norm when it's come up in my career. I don't travel for business, but whenever there's bad weather it's always a thing. Like they've always made sure you stay with the same gender and all, and I've always noped out because I never wanted to do share a room with another co-worker, but I'm surprised others haven't encountered this. I don't agree that people should be doubled up, but I'm not sure if y'all have just worked for really great companies or I've worked for really terrible companies (I have). I wonder what the average is for companies doing that.

I've been stuck in a shared hotel room for work once. It was for a training thing, and my roommate failed out immediately, so I had a double room to myself for 2 weeks, then they consolidated and I just got a single for the rest. It was pretty great, except I was stuck in Idaho, instead of anywhere any human would actually WANT to be.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

My old facility had people room together in sparsely furnished guest apartments during snowstorms. That was healthcare though, and a lot of people were also straight up stranded.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I went to the Trader Joe's in the U District around 11 and they had plenty of food but the lines went all the way to the back of the store. Absolute bedlam.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

some person on imgur posted videos of the long grocery lines, making fun of people for overreacting to a little snow. i hope the city is buried just to spite that person.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's almost as if people who here 10-15 years ago remember what it was like to get buttrammed by a snow storm in this town :thunk:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

some person on imgur posted videos of the long grocery lines, making fun of people for overreacting to a little snow. i hope the city is buried just to spite that person.

I went to QFC at midnight because gently caress that poo poo.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

It's almost as if people who here 10-15 years ago remember what it was like to get buttrammed by a snow storm in this town :thunk:

If they do, they're still not very good at it.

Trip report:

IN CASE THE POWER GOES OUT, I NEED A SHITLOAD OF BEEF, RIGHT?

Bread: The Seattle Survivalist's Lifeline

The dead will outnumber the living, so no need to put carts back:

I live within walking distance of this place so I'm very :smuggo: about it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

George posted:

I went to the Trader Joe's in the U District around 11 and they had plenty of food but the lines went all the way to the back of the store. Absolute bedlam.

Whole Foods dt was a shitshow. Everyone was in good spirits, but they were running out of a lot of stuff and yeah the lines went to the back of the store. I was in line for almost an hour. Lots of booze being sold and a lot of ice cream.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

If they do, they're still not very good at it.

Trip report:

Bread: The Seattle Survivalist's Lifeline

The dead will outnumber the living, so no need to put carts back:

I live within walking distance of this place so I'm very :smuggo: about it.

lol. Same at Whole Foods. Bakery empty, bread almost gone.

"Snow is coming, SOMEONE SECURE THE GODDAMN BREAD! WHO HAS EYES ON THE BREAD!?"

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 8, 2019

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

No, if the roads are solid sheets of ice you won't be able to stop at the grocery store on the way home from work to buy that evening's dinner.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Nothing in Portland's most hated suburb, yet, but I foolishly went to Walmart on my lunch break. Usually 45 minute round trip. Took an hour and a half.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I had done most of my shopping earlier on wednesday, but I hit the stores last night for some last minute things for my father. Winco was a massacre. Had to hop around 3 different safeways just to find ground beef.

Sodomy Hussein's post is spot on for every store I visited. Only the last safeway I hit had some bread and beef, and only because they received a shipment two hours before it closed.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Live KATU feed of Portland drivers losing their collective poo poo.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1ynKOOAWamOKR

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Trip report:

You just put it in the snow bank next to the grill ya dummy :smuggo:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I'm working grocery tonight and I just want to say that none of you are good at planning ahead and it really shows

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

im on the net me boys posted:

I'm working grocery tonight and I just want to say that none of you are good at planning ahead and it really shows

A apologized at the store this afternoon and I apologize to you now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I was just at my local Safeway which didn't seem that much worse than a typical Friday night at my local Safeway (I live in kind of a run down area) except the attitudes of the shoppers was way shittier. And the milk was sold out. What's up with that? Why milk? I do not understand people. I am just making a big rear end pot of spaghetti and calling it good for the weekend. Well stocked on beer and peanut butter otherwise. Granted in my neck of the woods snow has already turned to rain.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
I just got back from the Wood Village Fred Meyer and the lines were enormous... but everyone still respected the 15-items-or-less rule so I was in and out in like 20 minutes.

Pro tip edit: I was at Target like an hour earlier and they were whatever the opposite of slammed is. Apparently stores that have groceries but aren't generally thought of as grocery stores might be a less busy option.

Christoph fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 9, 2019

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

DrNutt posted:

I was just at my local Safeway which didn't seem that much worse than a typical Friday night at my local Safeway (I live in kind of a run down area) except the attitudes of the shoppers was way shittier. And the milk was sold out. What's up with that? Why milk? I do not understand people. I am just making a big rear end pot of spaghetti and calling it good for the weekend. Well stocked on beer and peanut butter otherwise. Granted in my neck of the woods snow has already turned to rain.

The milk is for the hot cocoa. And overnight oatmeal.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Got called in to work but I don't care because I live ten minutes away, the roads aren't that bad and the case of monster ultra I left in my trunk has just the right amount of slush in the cans to make them taste extra good.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Republicans posted:

Got called in to work but I don't care because I live ten minutes away, the roads aren't that bad and the case of monster ultra I left in my trunk has just the right amount of slush in the cans to make them taste extra good.

It's not sticking downtown and has mostly stopped so we'll see how it looks tomorrow morning. If nothing else we've certainly made the bread factories work overtime.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

It's building up nicely in covington but I've driven in much worse. There was that storm back in 2012-ish that hit when I was working in puyalup. 4 hours to get home that night and a hell commute for days after because my usual highway was closed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I've got about 6 inches now in northbend. But the real stuff wasnt supposed to be until 7-10 pm

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

BrandorKP posted:

I've got about 6 inches now in northbend. But the real stuff wasnt supposed to be until 7-10 pm

Its this. The weather nerds I am following are talking about a 2nd system heading towards Seattle now.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

That's a relief because it stopped here and I was worried that was all we were getting. I love snow and want to see as much of it as possible.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The snow in Marysville started mid morning really heavy, melted off a great deal, and started up again.

Also, you guys seriously need to try the grocery pick up services. I just parked, called the number, and a weeks worth of groceries were loaded up in my car yesterday afternoon.

No lines and no bullshit.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Solkanar512 posted:

The snow in Marysville started mid morning really heavy, melted off a great deal, and started up again.

Also, you guys seriously need to try the grocery pick up services. I just parked, called the number, and a weeks worth of groceries were loaded up in my car yesterday afternoon.

No lines and no bullshit.

Those are fine as long as you don't mind getting the worst produce in the house.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Republicans posted:

Those are fine as long as you don't mind getting the worst produce in the house.

Yeah I started a Safeway cart the other day and got to produce and I was all :thunk: hmm better just use this for dry goods if ever.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Republicans posted:

I've only had good produce with fresh pickup. Don't judge me I have kids and work 60 - 80 hours a week and it's a stones throw from harbor island

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Republicans posted:

I’ve always gotten solid produce.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I guess y'all don't have picky partners. Mine takes like ten minutes to make sure she gets the right bananas.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Even if you don’t order produce, having the rest of your order just appear in the back of your car is loving awesome.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DrNutt posted:

I guess y'all don't have picky partners. Mine takes like ten minutes to make sure she gets the right bananas.

If you have kids all you care about with produce is that it is fresh, ripe, and has not started rotting. Anything beyond that takes too long to find.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The real system is starting up now and if you look at the weather radar you can see it's just slowly rotating south to north over seattle dumping snow on us.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

DrNutt posted:

If they aren't 50% green they aren't worth buying. :colbert:

Anyway, speaking of Safeway I stopped by mine after getting paid to do nothing for four hours to see what the damage was and aside from all the duraflames and ground beef being gone it was surprisingly intact. Oh, and of course...

The gently caress is it with people and bread. All the poo poo you put on bread was still well stocked. My only guess is everyone heard bread was selling out everywhere else so they all bought some just in case.

The Oldest Man posted:

The real system is starting up now and if you look at the weather radar you can see it's just slowly rotating south to north over seattle dumping snow on us.

Yeah it dumped drat near another inch on me during my time in the store after getting almost nothing while I was at work. And they still want me to open at 10am tomorrow. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Parking lots were full but I was able to buy everything I needed (mostly meat and produce, plus toilet paper).

I skipped Costco though because there were lines to even get into the parking lot during lunch hour. One of my coworkers toughed it out and was gone for 3 hours.