Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Do you really not get it? Because it's an abrupt tragic ending that explicitly writes the entire series prior to that point out of existence and leaves a ton of details about itself totally ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Reboot endings are always going to be divisive.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i like the ending. it's good.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world...

It's a good ending, overall. Emporio ending us being the one to beat Pucci after he technically won was the biggest thing I didn't like at first, but it fit the inherited will thing running throughout the part, so it grew on me pretty quick once I realised that.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 9, 2019

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

I've been reading through the manga for the past month and reaching Mamezuku's home is what's finally making me post in this thread.

Araki's been revisiting old ideas in parts 7 and 8, but I still didn't expect him to go back to Superfly's user and make someone's lifestyle even weirder.

Bless your brain Araki

Night Goat
Oct 24, 2009
Yeah the Part 6 ending is great and I strongly disagree with the idea that it writes the entire series prior to it out of existence.

Sure some characters get the shaft and are irreversibly changed forever into different people but its no different than important characters dying in previous parts.

I get that its ambiguous but it does mention at one point that only the people Pucci kills are the ones 'changed' in the new universe so I like to imagine the entire Duwang gang came out unscathed. Of course this is getting into head canon territory but i'm pretty certain it's not the tragic ending everyone seems to think it is.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a bittersweet ending and i think those who don't get the latter part of that have kind of missed the overall themes in the series leading up to that point and why it's a cathartic thing that happens at the end of stone ocean

like yeah it always kind of sucks to see something go after so long but thematically it's nice in a way and to see them finally escape the hosed up existence they had of constant, neverending fighting due to ~fate~ is good, imo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I forget, did Pucci reset the world once or twice? I wanna say it was twice because I could have sworn that he was trying to use that as leverage during his death, saying that he won't know if the new universe will be an exact copy of the old or not if he gets killed, and then it cut to an insect arriving into the universe again so I dunno if things just reset a 2nd time into a new universe or what.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

the last panel is really pretty

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FirstAidKite posted:

I forget, did Pucci reset the world once or twice? I wanna say it was twice because I could have sworn that he was trying to use that as leverage during his death, saying that he won't know if the new universe will be an exact copy of the old or not if he gets killed, and then it cut to an insect arriving into the universe again so I dunno if things just reset a 2nd time into a new universe or what.

I think he was trying to reset it twice but Emporio killed him before he could.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

free hubcaps posted:

the last panel is really pretty

I sawn to John, if they don't use the song for this episode.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
He reset it once and stopped short before completing the full loop so he could kill Emporio, which ended up loving him.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

since when has gold experience been able to recall things it's touched

I love that no one answered this btw, lol

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Arist posted:

I love that no one answered this btw, lol

the very first thing that happens in the manga is giorno turning something into a frog and the frog returns to him

e: unless you mean recall in a different sense in which case idk its jojo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
hands, known for naturally leaping back to their owners

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

no, it was jellyfish

wait

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://twitter.com/WeedVentoAureo/status/737882153984372736

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Maybe Giorno gave the hand grasshopper legs or something.

With regards to part 6, I hope when Made in Heaven activates the OP just gets played at 100x speed and then it starts again but the characters are their alternate universe counterparts and the OP is about their mundane life.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

yeah pucci says that if he doesn't keep the reset going until it hits the same time he reset before then it would snap back with completely unpredictable consequences after he died

emporio was just like "lol sure" and killed him, because gently caress pucci that guy sucks

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Arist posted:

Do you really not get it? Because it's an abrupt tragic ending that explicitly writes the entire series prior to that point out of existence and leaves a ton of details about itself totally ambiguous.

this is my main beef with it yeah, I don't mind a melancholy ending but just saying "btw the last 5 parts meant nothing lol" is a downer

though for all we know everything else went exactly the same besides jolyne both changing her name and having significantly worse taste in men

e: I don't actually mind the final fight itself because it's fitting thematically and Gay Priest And His Gayer Time Horse vs Prison Child In Baseball Uniform With A CD In His Eyeball is more or less the perfect jojo final battle concept

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 9, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It doesn't say that at all though.
Hell, we all die, life's pointless eh

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yinlock posted:

"btw the last 5 parts meant nothing lol"

at really no point does it say that

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Yinlock posted:

though for all we know everything else went exactly the same besides jolyne both changing her name and having significantly worse taste in men

To be fair, we don't really know what kind of guy alternate reality Anasui is. At the very least, he's not a murderer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yinlock posted:

this is my main beef with it yeah, I don't mind a melancholy ending but just saying "btw the last 5 parts meant nothing lol" is a downer

I think this is the wrong approach to take when reading semi-interconnected work like this.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

somepartsareme posted:

the very first thing that happens in the manga is giorno turning something into a frog and the frog returns to him

e: unless you mean recall in a different sense in which case idk its jojo

It returned to him because he was the owner of it (I guess because he stole it from Koichi or something) which is what his power always did, but this time he turned the bike into a hand and returned it, even though it wasn't his bike. I guess he could do it because he explicitly turned it into his hand and thus he owned it?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I understand that Part 6 ended the sort of feud going on with the Joestars and DIO, but did the Universe really need to be reset and effectively killing off literally every character from the first five Parts to do that? Feels like it'd be so much easier to just...have Stand users in further parts that aren't connected to DIO in any way causing havoc. You know, like Kira or Diavolo whose only involvement with DIO is he very, very indirectly got them involved with the Arrows. Just have Pucci be the true, sole final ally or disciple of DIO so there's nothing more he and his influence can do to harm future Joestars.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

TheLoneStar posted:

I understand that Part 6 ended the sort of feud going on with the Joestars and DIO, but did the Universe really need to be reset and effectively killing off literally every character from the first five Parts to do that? Feels like it'd be so much easier to just...have Stand users in further parts that aren't connected to DIO in any way causing havoc. You know, like Kira or Diavolo whose only involvement with DIO is he very, very indirectly got them involved with the Arrows. Just have Pucci be the true, sole final ally or disciple of DIO so there's nothing more he and his influence can do to harm future Joestars.

Okay but unless characters show up from earlier parts, what is the difference between doing that and resetting the universe

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Xad posted:

Okay but unless characters show up from earlier parts, what is the difference between doing that and resetting the universe
You mean that thing that happens in literally every Part after the first one until Stone Ocean?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

TheLoneStar posted:

You mean that thing that happens in literally every Part after the first one until Stone Ocean?

Yes

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The end of part 6 was Atkin's way of sending off all the previous assumptions about the series in a concrete way. It's clear with part 7 that he wanted to go in a pretty different direction and while he could have just not done a reset, doing it this way means he essentially can't rely on past plot points to keep things moving. I feel like, just like with the invention of stands at all, Araki felt the need to force himself to come up with something new.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

My problem with part 6 is that it doesn't have enough of the moments of levity that make every other part so endearing to me. I was already getting stand fight fatigue by the time FF died and things kicking into overdrive at that point then ending on a huge downer didn't really help. I also am not a big fan of how it changes DIO's character or how arbitrary the plot to reach heaven is.

I realize that most of this is just me having the wrong expectations out of part 6, but I just wanted to watch FF throwing balls like a queer. :smith:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Then there you go. Characters from past Parts constantly show up later on. Jotaro especially and Jolyne would have probably joined that trend too. Resetting the Universe just made it seem like the efforts of all the past protagonists meant absolutely nothing because everything and everyone they worked for are now dead anyway.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

I still don't get why people think part 6's ending means parts 1-5 didn't happen.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't understand why you assume they would have happened.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

GimmickMan posted:

My problem with part 6 is that it doesn't have enough of the moments of levity that make every other part so endearing to me. I was already getting stand fight fatigue by the time FF died and things kicking into overdrive at that point then ending on a huge downer didn't really help. I also am not a big fan of how it changes DIO's character or how arbitrary the plot to reach heaven is.

I realize that most of this is just me having the wrong expectations out of part 6, but I just wanted to watch FF throwing balls like a queer. :smith:
DIO's character or motivations didn't really change. That he had a secret diary of how to reset the universe is pretty out of loving nowhere, but so much of what DIO talks about in Part 3 is His World of Frozen Time and How Dare Jotaro Move In My World. DIO is heavily invested in achieving complete inner peace. He has a whole speech with Enya that fear is the biggest thing that holds humans back, that drives into bad situations, and it's something he muses if he can ever remove from himself. He acknowledges he's scared of the Joestars, and his own fear is reflected in The World, it gives him the power to be completely alone in a space where no one can even approach him.

Pucci adopts DIO's motive of eliminating fear entirely. If people experience the reset of the universe, they'll know their own fates and be at peace with their life. The Part 6 cast is set on stopping this because no one should control fate and destiny like that, and by having entirely new characters after the reset, they have changed fate entirely, their lives are now on entirely different tracks, their fates completely different, their destinies we as readers will never now, because those things are now entirely their own and aren't for us anymore

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 9, 2019

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Arist posted:

I don't understand why you assume they would have happened.

Because there is nothing that implies they didn't.

GimmickMan posted:

Romeo's tongue

The engagement ring

That poo poo ain't Disney

Jolyne telling Emporio about the planes crashing underground

Anasui asking Jotaro for Jolyne's hand at the most inappropriate possible time

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
While I'll admit Part 6 has fight fatigue really badly, I actually really like it once they get out of the prison. At that point, a lot of the stakes are set and everything feels so much larger than life. All of the constant fights with massive reality shifting abilities makes it feel like the world is coming down around us, and it really adds to the utter surrealness of Part 6

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dragonwagon posted:

Because there is nothing that implies they didn't.

Nothing implies they do, dude! Given how much has visibly changed in just those few pages, why would you assume any of the bullshit of Dio and the Pillar Men and Stands happened?

I'm honestly not totally sure how I feel about Part 6's ending, but going "well, I don't get why people don't like it" or "I don't see why you think [natural implication of the way the ending is framed] instead of [thing I believe that is only implied in that it isn't explicitly denied]" is just myopic.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the other parts happened because they exist in your memory. do you remember them? do you remember your tears? your laughter? your brotherhood? i assure you that no matter what, those were always very, very real. and if that answer is not enough for you, i do not know what to tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Arist posted:

Nothing implies they do, dude! Given how much has visibly changed in just those few pages, why would you assume any of the bullshit of Dio and the Pillar Men and Stands happened?

I'm honestly not totally sure how I feel about Part 6's ending, but going "well, I don't get why people don't like it" or "I don't see why you think [natural implication of the way the ending is framed] instead of [thing I believe that is only implied in that it isn't explicitly denied]" is just myopic.

The only people who got replaced in the new world were the ones killed by Pucci in the old one. And then, when the whole thing reverts, Emporio is clearly still himself. This implies that anyone not killed by Pucci is still the exact same person and their past has not changed.