Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Hawai'i is the greatest place on earth - separate from the taint of American soil.

If I could i'd retire there.

Waikiki beach is partly made of imported Californian sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dammit

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

MA-Horus posted:

Kaua'i is gorgeous and I love it.

This post came from there. Really nice weather, good ipa selection.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 9, 2019

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Hawai'i is the greatest place on earth - separate from the taint of American soil.

If I could i'd retire there.

Heav'en is a place on earth

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

P good thread title

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013

eXXon posted:

Waikiki beach is partly made of imported Californian sand.

If you’re on Oahu, Kailua beach is where you gotta go. A lot quieter than Waikiki and the sand is way better.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ive never traveled outside North America and never seen a resort or cruise because Im poor like most Canadians.

You are all quickly rising the guillotine list.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
It's loving hilarious seeing how defensive Canadians get when you say you'd like to live somewhere that gets more hours of sunlight on average and less cold. All the big tough individuals come out of the woodwork to flex.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Furnaceface posted:

Ive never traveled outside North America and never seen a resort or cruise because Im poor like most Canadians.

:lol: if you don't go into debt to enjoy some sun and sand.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It would be cool if that UK/Canada/Australia/New Zealand free travel thing ever comes to fruition.

All the Aussies would pile into Banff and Jasper leaving that entire continent free in the winters.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
yeah for the next eleven years it's habitable hahaha

edit: can not wait for the most racist nation on earth to turn into the same kind of refugees they kept in camps on isolated islands

edit edit: written as a resident of the second-most racist nation

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

I used to drive to Wasaga Beach until it was taken over by roving gangs of senile old boomers, does that count?

Powershift posted:

It would be cool if that UK/Canada/Australia/New Zealand free travel thing ever comes to fruition.

All the Aussies would pile into Banff and Jasper leaving that entire continent free in the winters.

No loving way this ever happens post-Brexit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

I used to drive to Wasaga Beach until it was taken over by roving gangs of senile old boomers, does that count?

No loving way this ever happens post-Brexit.

The interest in the concept has actually be renewed by Brexit, because they won't have free travel with Europe anymore.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Australia still required visas for Canadians so good luck with your imaginary free travel scheme.

Silver Spooner posted:

If you’re on Oahu, Kailua beach is where you gotta go. A lot quieter than Waikiki and the sand is way better.

I went to Lanikai and it was nice but if you want a place unspoiled by Americans or colonialism in general, well, Hawaii is not it (maybe the smaller islands?).

JawKnee posted:

It's loving hilarious seeing how defensive Canadians get when you say you'd like to live somewhere that gets more hours of sunlight on average and less cold. All the big tough individuals come out of the woodwork to flex.

It's not really about this when the comments are inane poo poo like 'Toronto food is tasteless!!' loving learn to cook then or go to one of the hundreds of good restaurants of nearly every imagineable cuisine in the city. If you hate it for reasons other than being a pathetic loser then move somewhere else or maybe think about it for longer than five seconds like Baronjutter did and view overseas travel as a relaxing learning experience (like politicians should) instead of having an emo incel meltdown.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Vintersorg posted:

Look at this bougie motherfucker that thinks he's too good for Grand beach.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

Check out this dumb motherfucker who doesn't know Albert Beach is only like 10 extra minutes but way nicer and less crowded

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Y'all seem to have some real hostile attitudes going on in here today, what's happening?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

Y'all seem to have some real hostile attitudes going on in here today, what's happening?

February Blues

Also something something Ford something Kenney. Someone find me that picture Macleans put up of "Trudeau's worst nightmare" where its a bunch of fat white conservative thumb people.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I get really fired up about beach chat when it's been -30 for a month and I've probably shovelled at least a foot and a half of snow ok

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Tighclops posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that

It's not like it's impossible to go on a vacation when you're making minimum wage/just over minimum wage. 50 bucks a paycheque (assuming bi-weekly) gets you enough to do a Continental North America vacation every year and a half or so, or a Intercontinental vacation every 3 years. You just have to want to commit to it. 50 bucks a paycheque is likely not a hard ask, especially for the people that post in this thread. I do understand that Toronto/Vancouver is significantly more expensive than Edmonton, so my perspective may be off, but I'm probably one of the lower earners in the thread and I still manage to go on an international vacation every two years or so.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Money isn't always the biggest barrier to travel, it's more often simply time. North Americans get gently caress all for vacation days, it's atrocious.

Unless of course you work for the government. I'm currently going from barely hitting 30k a year for 9 years with no vacation days or benefits working for a tiny family small business to a nice government job. The idea of a union and benefits and actual vacation days has kept me in a high for the last week since I found out I got the job.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Baronjutter posted:

Money isn't always the biggest barrier to travel, it's more often simply time. North Americans get gently caress all for vacation days, it's atrocious.

Unless of course you work for the government. I'm currently going from barely hitting 30k a year for 9 years with no vacation days or benefits working for a tiny family small business to a nice government job. The idea of a union and benefits and actual vacation days has kept me in a high for the last week since I found out I got the job.

Government jobs are great, up to 8 weeks off with all my combined vacation, rearranged work weeks and in lieu days.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

berenzen posted:

It's not like it's impossible to go on a vacation when you're making minimum wage/just over minimum wage. 50 bucks a paycheque (assuming bi-weekly) gets you enough to do a Continental North America vacation every year and a half or so, or a Intercontinental vacation every 3 years. You just have to want to commit to it. 50 bucks a paycheque is likely not a hard ask, especially for the people that post in this thread. I do understand that Toronto/Vancouver is significantly more expensive than Edmonton, so my perspective may be off, but I'm probably one of the lower earners in the thread and I still manage to go on an international vacation every two years or so.

I guess it helps to simplify it as much as you did, but there are so many factors you are also ignoring like kids, student debt, vehicles (more importantly their maintenance), seasonal/contract work, medical expenses, pets, etc.. that could easily pop up and eat up your entire rainy day fund (and then some).

Thats not even including the stupid poo poo the Ford government is likely to enact to further poo poo all over people like us.

e: Oh yeah theres the whole time thing too. If I end up needing a second job again because of cuts at work there is never going to be a way to sync up time off to even relax at home to destress for a week let alone travel.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 9, 2019

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Alberta also has the highest minimum wage in Canada at $15 an hour which is hugely different from the roughly $11 that's allowed in some provinces.

From personal experience the difference in quality of life when going from $11 an hour to $15 is huge. I'd say it's exponentially different than the quality of life jump from around $15 to my current income range which is closer to $25 an hour

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Oh certainly, there are big things that can wipe out a rainy day fund, or significantly add to the cost of a vacation (kids are a big one). But making it out like it's impossible to vacation on a minimal budget,- and that going on a vacation makes you a bougie gently caress- is disingenuous and feeds into the class warfare that detracts focus from where the actual societal problems are in the capital class.

e:^^ Sure, but I still managed to do it when I was making 13.40 an hour 4 years ago. $15/hour only started in October

berenzen fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 9, 2019

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
I’ve also got the benefit of being a teacher in Ontario for at least as long as our CBA holds out even if I’m only getting 2/3 pay this semester. Betcha I’m gonna be proper hosed next year though with this government.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Furnaceface posted:

February Blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK8x-77GqB0&t=29s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Silver Spooner posted:

I’ve also got the benefit of being a teacher in Ontario for at least as long as our CBA holds out even if I’m only getting 2/3 pay this semester. Betcha I’m gonna be proper hosed next year though with this government.

My friend and I were discussing whether OSSTF would ignore back-to-work legislation/wildcat strike. They were legislated back to work by the Liberals more than once, but I get the impression they're less willing to roll over for a PC government.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Watch Ontarians be less sympathetic to striking teachers then West Virginians or Oklahomans.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

Watch Ontarians be less sympathetic to striking teachers then West Virginians or Oklahomans.

This is extremely likely because West Virginian and Oklahoman teachers are so badly underpaid that it's common knowledge whereas here every single Ontarian would say "well I heard that after six months every teacher makes $200k thanks to their union so gently caress them"

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
Popular opinion seems to at least be more sympathetic to teachers now than in the Harris years and the messaging from OSSTF at least focusing on the proposed funding cuts than on our own salaries. Haven’t seen anything specific from ETFO or OECTA though.

Ultimately though it looks like it’s the primary level teachers that are gonna get hosed the worst. Larger classes are never a good idea, I had a class of 39 once and it suuuuuuuucked.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

I haven’t been in a while - I should fix that. Is that water park still down the street too?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Parents care about teacher's strikes because it forces them to find alternative care for their broodlings.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Parents care about teacher's strikes because it forces them to find alternative care for their broodlings.

I'm sometimes surprised by the level of FYGM dissonance that comes from parents.

The quality of my child's education is your problem not mine... do your job

Also, do the best job possible, but don't expect to be paid for it, or in any way supported. I pay enough taxes as it is.

Like, there's an understanding that this is your child's future we're talking about here, and their education is going to have a lifelong impact on that, but also you don't want to spend a lot of money.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
the average person just won't support workers when they are mildly inconvenienced because we live in a culture of institutionalized stupidity and selfishness

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

I'm sometimes surprised by the level of FYGM dissonance that comes from parents.

The quality of my child's education is your problem not mine... do your job

Also, do the best job possible, but don't expect to be paid for it, or in any way supported. I pay enough taxes as it is.

Like, there's an understanding that this is your child's future we're talking about here, and their education is going to have a lifelong impact on that, but also you don't want to spend a lot of money.

This, but for parents and money/resources:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Oxyclean posted:

I'm getting angry at just the thought of people voting Ford for Prime Minister.

It's worse than that; if Doug dies, the rules of succession clearly state that we're getting Randy Ford.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It's Fords all the way down from here on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Ford dynasty