Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

I said come in! posted:

Thank you! :blush: Looking at the pics more closely, I see some more spots I need to touch up, but i'm excited to start on my 2nd figure!

There is no harsher critic in the world than the 12 megapixel camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Olloth posted:

I've been building lots of resin models so I've gotten used to instant curing in terms of saving time. It's faster for me and I don't need the strong bond and can't for half my models anyways. I'm used to picking super glue scabs off models.

So I guess you're alright if you stay away from 30k. :shepspends:

Oh yeah my approach only works on plastic that melts. I have somehow avoided participating in The Perfect Game.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Got my Half-orc bard from Heroforge done.

I'll probably revisit him to redo the bottles, hat and feather, but over all, I'm happy with how he turned out, even if his original 'cocky MFer' expressions turned into "mildly distressed' like most of my faces do...

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Crossposting the first few models of my Deathguard Kill Team. Very fun working with these colours after just finishing my Tau Stealth Suits.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
So I've been that guy. Played for years with bare plastic. Finally decided to get into painting and loving it so far.

These are the first models I've painted since high school when I slopped testors enamel on some chaos. Goal is to have 2000 points painted by the end of the tournament my brother is running.

Debating what company to go with, leaning Fourth. Still need to do the shoulder pads and the purity seals and a few other small details like lenses.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for how to get started with Warmachine figures? I really want to paint these after I do a few more figures from Warhammer and 40,000:

https://store.privateerpress.com/vanguard-65450
https://store.privateerpress.com/classic-metal-ironclad

Privateer Press isn't as user friendly with their website as Games Workshop is, they don't even list recommended paints or have good pictures of their products. So I was hoping to find some step by step instructions from assembly to painting.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Those are metal and/or resin so assembly would be with superglue. Painting guides for the studio color scheme was usually in the now mostly defunct faction books. I think there was a P3 presents video on their youtube covering a similar green scheme. There's also the faction color paint bundles which should get you in the direction needed, though typically PP prefers mixing colors for doing shading rather than the GW guide method of 'slap some wash/shade on it.'

I'll check if I have a scan on the merc color scheme guide.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you! That is super appreciated. I have gorilla glue, is that okay to use here? I am probably getting ahead of myself because there's still some more GW stuff I want to get that is just simple snap pieces, and comes with paints.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for how to get started with Warmachine figures? I really want to paint these after I do a few more figures from Warhammer and 40,000:

https://store.privateerpress.com/vanguard-65450
https://store.privateerpress.com/classic-metal-ironclad

Privateer Press isn't as user friendly with their website as Games Workshop is, they don't even list recommended paints or have good pictures of their products. So I was hoping to find some step by step instructions from assembly to painting.

There are paint guides in the "Forces of... " books. Unfortunately, Privateer Press's approach to printed materials in Mk. III was ill-conceived. Don't buy the book just for the paint guide. It's not even that helpful.

Here's a video for the Ironclad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcQwY9HHXV8

I said come in! posted:

Thank you! That is super appreciated. I have gorilla glue, is that okay to use here? I am probably getting ahead of myself because there's still some more GW stuff I want to get that is just simple snap pieces, and comes with paints.

Gorilla Glue is okay, but I would strongly suggest a gel based formulation. The quicker drying time really helps. https://www.renodepot.com/en/ultra-gel-control-super-glue-01805127?viewStore=73050

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The Gorilla Glue stuff can be semi-thick. I typically use it rather than the Loctite gel since you get a good amount in the bottle and don't have to dismantle the dispenser to get out everything in the syrette.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Privateer Press is 2nd rate to GW. That's not to say they're bad or their game is bad, but they're definitely not up where GW is in terms of assembly, presentation, or ease of entry.

Basically, unless you're dealing with the newest line of full-plastic kits, you aren't going to get numbered sprues with assembly instructions. A lot of the older (especially the case in the) full-metal models will not have assembly instructions at all. The upside is that they should be fairly obvious to assemble just by laying out the parts, like with the Vanguard.

I have found that superglue is almost never good enough to hold the models together if you intend to handle them in the course of regular gameplay. This means pinning, which is not a bad skill to learn overall, but makes assembling models a lot more time-intensive and potentially annoying. It is, however, wonderful when you're dealing with broken models or flimsy casts and need something to reinforce them.

I'm not in a great place to link a pinning tutorial right this moment, but the basics would be to pick up a pin vise, a 0.85mm bit, a box of standard/small paper clips, and a pair of metal clippers that are different than the ones you'll use for your plastic minis. (The reason is that the paperclips can sometimes be made of tougher materials and can damage the cutting edge of fine clippers. When used on plastic this can cause uneven separation and even cause pulling which can result in voids or tears into the plastic model that have to be filled later.)

Having just spent the weekend pinning something like 15 old metal Warmachine models (including an old metal vanguard and buccaneer), I'm right there with you.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It's worth noting that even a lot of Privateer Press's plastic model aren't the kind of plastic you can use plastic glue on. I believe it's mainly the newer warjack kits that are.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

As previously mentioned these are a little bit more an intermediate guide since they're aimed more for proper blending or using glazes and call for a pretty broad palette of paints. I have dabbled with using PP's paint guides for some elements on my own models and been pretty satisfied with the results, though.

The all metal models can typically benefit from pinning. Some of the resin/metal combination ones for that matter as well. All resin warjacks usually do okay with just superglue until you get to the big stuff like gargantuans/colossals which tend to be a more brittle resin. The HIPS plastic ones you can use plastic glue on come on sprues so easy to identify.

And to crosspost with some of my own content the alternate model Farrow Brigand Warlord from Minicrate I painted last week:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh my god you are the absolute best. Thank you so much!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am done with my first three figures. :D There is touching up that can be done of course, but I am still really happy with my figures and ready to get more.

chanza
Apr 25, 2010
Decided that this year I'm done with fielding bare plastic. It's been about 5 years since I last painted, so it's taking a bit of flailing around to get back up to speed.

I managed to get a squad of goliaths done in January, and this month I'm gonna try to do my orc blood bowl team. This is my first proper try at glazing / blending and I'm pretty happy with the results on my test model.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Did some more work on the Reaper fighter mini the other night.

Also got some decals in last night, so did some more work on the T-34 tank from the FoW Stalingrad box.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Painted up some Gors for the Stinky Goat Warband.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I know I should probably just get the whole squad done and then post, but I'm really happy with how these plague Marines are turning out and it has been motivating me to get more done.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Crosspost:
Painting update:

Couldn't find a hat I liked in time, but I wanted to break up all the Acolyte painting.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
I have been busy!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finished the Boar clan for Blood Rage. Just one clan, and I'll never have to deal with something like this again.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Todays Nurgle boys and gals (no conversions this time, just lots of slime)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

C/P from the minis thread: apart from some touchup work on the rim of the base that needs to be done, I finished up that one Reaper figure that I had unpainted in a box for over a decade. Not my best work, but I figure it's good enough for tabletop quality.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

richyp posted:

Painted up some Gors for the Stinky Goat Warband.

Nurgle-ish Beastmen? Looks great!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Cross postin' this robot dude.

Some things that I learned for my second helverin:

• The white marble effect came out a little bit too subtle. I think I'll try to up the contrast on the next one.

• The battle damage and weathering looks cool but I think on the next guy I'll tone them down a bit.

• The base got a obscured by the model's placement a bit too much. For the next guy I'll build it a little differently so it looks like he's stepping over some rubble or something.

• Oil washes are harder than expected, but it was good to learn the technique.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
That looks fantastic. I really like how the color of the base goes with the model. Really great color choices all around.

To contribute I'm crossposting this

I painted up the starting 6 for Gloomhaven. I really enjoyed painting them and it was a fun change of pace. There's definitely room for improvement, especially with the scoundrel. The spellweavers fire was a lot of fun. It was my first time using a glaze over white to get yellow and I really liked how easy it was.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

E: botched something on the T-34 so it's taking a nice bath in some LA's Totally Awesome. Which is kind of a blessing as I wasn't too thrilled with how light the green on the tank turned out.

Also got a start on the next batch of Chaos Cultists for Necromunda. One thing I decided to do here was experiment with painting darker skin tones on a couple of the figures, to add a little diversity to the insane worshippers of Chaos.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 9, 2019

chanza
Apr 25, 2010
Finally finished my test orc lineman.

Pretty happy overall. For the rest of the team I think I'll swap the trousers to grey/black and make the boots brown leather. At the moment the leather straps & belt etc. are kinda lost on the back of the model.

Also I need to do something better with the metals I think, but not sure what. At the moment it's just Leadbelcher drybrushed over black which I like on the weapons, but it looks a bit weak on the boots. It might be that swapping the boots to brown will help with that too.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Grundma posted:

That looks fantastic. I really like how the color of the base goes with the model. Really great color choices all around.

To contribute I'm crossposting this

I painted up the starting 6 for Gloomhaven. I really enjoyed painting them and it was a fun change of pace. There's definitely room for improvement, especially with the scoundrel. The spellweavers fire was a lot of fun. It was my first time using a glaze over white to get yellow and I really liked how easy it was.

These came out great. I painted three of the starting ones to various degrees but never felt I got close to the concept art. You really nailed it on that.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up some lootas, I think I am getting close to needing a break from painting these dudes. I am planning on painting truck and wartrike I have built, then maybe something else for variety.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Got some little tiny Russians in the mail today, so decided to test out a couple of paint schemes for 'em.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Started painting my largest model i've done yet, a Mork/Gorkanaut for 40k. Luckily subassembly for it was very easy and i'm enjoying being able to go on a part by part basis. I'm regretting choosing red as a main color since i don't own an airbrush, but i've gotten my layering on it down at least and i'm pretty happy with what i have so far!

Also, does anyone have a good method for making a 3D flame jet effect by the way? My idea is to super glue some cotton balls into a conical-ish shape on the paperclip and then prime it and paint it up.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Another Nurgle guy, he'll either be a Lord of Chaos or an Aspiring Champion of a larger unit depending on my mood tomorrow and whether he needs 4 buddies or not.

richyp posted:

Tonights brush wrecking speed painted duder is a kitbashed Nurgle Lord, clearing the backlog at one model from 20 kits at a time.

aka Lord Snout, 3 times French Kissing Champion of the Mortal Realms, and his Nurgling pal, Barry Harroth Dance Dance Revolution Superstar

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

The Jumpoff posted:

Also, does anyone have a good method for making a 3D flame jet effect by the way? My idea is to super glue some cotton balls into a conical-ish shape on the paperclip and then prime it and paint it up.

Are you looking to actually see some flame, or is smoke enough? The cotton ball thing you're describing would work well enough for smoke, but if you want some flames to base it off of, I've seen people use hot glue for that kinda thing. I've also personally used Liquitex Gloss Heavy Gel Medium for smallish flames, and it should scale up without too much issue, so long as you let everything dry in between.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Aniodia posted:

Are you looking to actually see some flame, or is smoke enough? The cotton ball thing you're describing would work well enough for smoke, but if you want some flames to base it off of, I've seen people use hot glue for that kinda thing. I've also personally used Liquitex Gloss Heavy Gel Medium for smallish flames, and it should scale up without too much issue, so long as you let everything dry in between.

I was thinking mostly about producing an effect like a flamethrower, just a long jet of flame from the barrel of the flamer. I like the tutorial you linked though and will definitely try that out if thr cotton doesn't look good, or i want to add some little flame patches to the base of the model. Thanks for linking it!

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

The Jumpoff posted:

I was thinking mostly about producing an effect like a flamethrower, just a long jet of flame from the barrel of the flamer. I like the tutorial you linked though and will definitely try that out if thr cotton doesn't look good, or i want to add some little flame patches to the base of the model. Thanks for linking it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK_pVa1JUPE

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

X-POSTIN'

Alokgen posted:

I managed to get my hands on the Greylord Adjunct a bit earlier than most. Wrapped him up today.

I haven't loved an entire line of minis as much as painting Khador.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I appreciate how many call backs to old kits there are on this thing.

In other stuff I was planning on taking a break from orks soon and have been messing around with bases:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Alokgen posted:

X-POSTIN'

Jealous. I’m excited to get my hands on one of those.

That’s a real nice crisp paint job.