Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Last year I put together a painting progress thread as part of my New Year's resolution. It was well received, and while I didn't complete my resolution of painting an hour a day I did manage to get 2500 points of Knights and Deathwatch painted. So we're going to keep it going with even less pressure in 2019. Not gimmicks, no :toxx: clauses, just paint and show the cool stuff you're working on.

My goal this year is pretty simple; do something hobby-related every day and paint two units before I purchase something new. So let's keep it going!

Here's what I did in 2018:

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Attempt 2!

I painted up some scenery out of receipt rolls, and tried rust for the first time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Looks good. Are they going on a base?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Flipswitch posted:

Attempt 2!

I painted up some scenery out of receipt rolls, and tried rust for the first time.

That is an excellent final product. Also seems like a simple and fast way to get a bunch of good terrain.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
This is great. I need to get some structure behind my painting goals.

My prime directive this year is: NO MORE MODELS

Yes! I’m going to try to avoid buying new models for an entire year. (Conversion bits to complete existing projects are allowed.)

I will post a few of my priority projects shortly and I’ll try to tick them off in the early months of 2019.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Looks good. Are they going on a base?
Nah dude. Keeping them unbased, it's specifically for Infinity which doesn't really want based terrain unless it's specific zones like Forests/Woodlands.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That is an excellent final product. Also seems like a simple and fast way to get a bunch of good terrain.
Thanks! It's super easy, I just sprayed them metal, washed, drybrushed and rusted up.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Holy poo poo I have a lot to do.

Just compiled the following list. There is more, like three whole WHFB armies but they can come later... :downsgun:

Blood Bowl:
Slann
Lizardmen
High Elves
Norse

Shadespire:
Steelheart’s Champions
Ironskulls Boyz
Garrek’s Reavers
Spiteclaw’s Swarm
Champions of Death
Magore’s Fiends

Necromunda:
Van Saar
Genestealer Cult
Inquisitorial Venators Gang
Necromunda Box ZM Terrain

Lord of the Rings:
Isengard Army

Adeptus Titanicus:
Warlord
Three Reavers
Four Warhounds
Three Knights
Four Lancers
Terrain

40k/Kill Team:
Deathwatch
Adepta Sororitas

General Hobby:
Kill Team Terrain

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

There is no way I could make a list of what I need to paint and stay motivated. Zero chance of that happening.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

you should get some infinity to paint.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I have completed a trukk, I gotta say this army is a lot of fun to paint. It is like when I did the nids where I don't really lose motivation to paint which is nice.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to stay on top of painting while I've had some time off work. Here's what I've done with Mortarion over the last few days.

Base metallics done on this one

Had a full 8 hour painting session on New Years Eve, so I got a ton done.

Really like how the eyes turned out:

Then last night I did part of the wings. The bottom halves are done. I need to do the upper part, but don't have the paints for it.

Still to do: Tons. I need to do the nurglings, the base, the cloth on various parts of Mortarion like the grenades, some slime on the wings and some more metallic bits. I also need to add some rust and grime in the pock marks on his armor.

I think up next I'll paint up my Foul Blightspawn. That looks like a fun model.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

R0ckfish posted:

I have completed a trukk, I gotta say this army is a lot of fun to paint. It is like when I did the nids where I don't really lose motivation to paint which is nice.

That's a great looking trukk.

I finished this one yesterday, working on the FW halftrack trukk today.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

S.J. posted:

There is no way I could make a list of what I need to paint and stay motivated. Zero chance of that happening.

I find it helpful, my main issue has been flitting from one project to the next and consolidating my to do list helps to focus.

Fortunately most of these projects are quite small, rarely more than a dozen miniatures.

Edit: Also for absolutely clarifying “No you loving idiot do not buy more minis”

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Not buying any new figs is an ambitious goal! And honestly, I have enough unpainted stuff that I could probably keep myself busy all year and still not finish everything. This year, my goal is to finish two new Axis platoons for Chain of Command (Italians and Japanese), and keep chipping away at my Infinity stuff. Now that we're into the new house and I have my dedicated hobbying space set up, I'm hoping that I can be a little more productive.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

First painting of 2019...

Text says "PURGE" or possibly "PURSE", either works for me.

Trying to get 500 points of Primaris Deathwatch ready for the start of a local escalation league.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This is the year I'm finally going to finish that Exorcist. It's a hybrid metal & plastic kit, has resisted every assembly at assembly, and has lived at my work bench since it was new.

Also in my queue is the FW Baneblade I've been too afraid of messing up.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

lookslikerain posted:

First painting of 2019...

Text says "PURGE" or possibly "PURSE", either works for me.

It says PURSE, here's your battle cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwyBW9-we5A&t=9s

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ineptmule posted:

Edit: Also for absolutely clarifying “No you loving idiot do not buy more minis”
I wish I had the willpower to stick to that, but I know I won't. My goals, however, are to:

1. actually get more stuff painted this year
2. sell some things I know I'm not going to use
3. try to keep spending neutral for the most part - either sell to buy, or purchase sets that I know I can part out and keep some bits

I think if I keep to that plan, I won't feel so bad about seeing shelves of stuff. I'm good about spending only out of my discretionary hobby fund, which is independent from my work paycheck, but I've been slacking lately, so the balance dropped significantly this year. I have to get that back up.

I'd say that on the plus side, I don't think there is a whole lot that I really need, but then again, in 2018 I wasn't really expecting Speed Freeks, Blackstone Fortress, getting into Shadespire, or AT being such a big expenditure. Hopefully GW can release a bunch of stuff in 2019 that I don't care about...

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Personally, I'd like to actually finish an army and get to the point where I can play a game or two. Over the past decade or so, I've tried to get into a couple of different non-GW wargames, like Warmahordes, Dropzone, and others, and I've always ended up selling the armies off half painted and never used, because I don't really want to play an army that's bare metal/plastic/whatever. So back in May, when I'd had a bit of extra cash, I'd picked up some Warmaster High Elves off of ebay, facebook, and a few other casters, and have been working away at my army bit by bit. However, even with all that done up, I've still got a lot of work to do , and my aim is to get at least a 1,000 point army done and painted by the end of May, essentially giving myself a year to get an army done and ready to go. I'd also like to find a better camera than my lovely iphone 4 and it's scratched camera lens, and a better lightbox than my fridge, but those aren't quite things I can paint.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Aniodia posted:

Personally, I'd like to actually finish an army and get to the point where I can play a game or two. Over the past decade or so, I've tried to get into a couple of different non-GW wargames, like Warmahordes, Dropzone, and others, and I've always ended up selling the armies off half painted and never used, because I don't really want to play an army that's bare metal/plastic/whatever. So back in May, when I'd had a bit of extra cash, I'd picked up some Warmaster High Elves off of ebay, facebook, and a few other casters, and have been working away at my army bit by bit. However, even with all that done up, I've still got a lot of work to do , and my aim is to get at least a 1,000 point army done and painted by the end of May, essentially giving myself a year to get an army done and ready to go. I'd also like to find a better camera than my lovely iphone 4 and it's scratched camera lens, and a better lightbox than my fridge, but those aren't quite things I can paint.

You're in luck - Warmaster is pretty easy to paint to a good tabletop standard. High Elves are the best, since they're usually a lot of white, steel, and a bright color for the shield.

A buddy of mine went nuts and drilled out all of the spearmen hands and replaced the spears with needles. Don't do that.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If I ever use him in Kill Team he is now officially called Bobby.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My main goal this year is very easy: Finish assembling/painting the 1500 points worth of AdMech I bought at the tail end of last year. That's Forgebane and Fist Of The Omnissiah now that I've completed all of the Start Collecting box minus the Domiger.

I also have to clean off some shelves/move stuff around/buy a display case for my apartment since right now I'm monopolizing the spare table we have and I feel badly about it.

lookslikerain posted:

If I ever use him in Kill Team he is now officially called Bobby.

:hellyeah:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aniodia posted:

Find an event and sign up for it. I used NOVA to get 2500 points painted in 8 months, and I'm really glad I did because now I have a fun army I can play with.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

Oh god. My unfinished project list....

3 Questoris Knights, 1 only needs basing, 1 is mostly done, 1 is partially started
Valiant, basic painting done
Castellan, basic painting done
Helverins, basic painting done
Warglaives, just need basing

About 50ish Primaris marines of various types to paint
1 Redemptor base coated, 1 unbuilt
2 Ven Dreads base coated
1 Dread base coated
About 50 Old marines in various states of paint
1 Land Raider Redeemer built, 1 a lot less built
1 Razorback basic paint done

2 Ven Contemper Dreads, 1 unpainted, 1 needs basing
10 Custodes Guard in various states of painted
10 Sisters of Silence similarly so
Achillus and Telemon dreads unbuilt
General wossname in box

20 Admech Rangers/Vanguard unpainted

Celestine etc base coated only

20 Daemonettes unpainted

1 Stormsurge unpainted
1 Riptide unbuilt, 1 needs repainting, 1 needs paint finished properly
1 Broadside needs painted
20 Fire Warriors to assemble
10 Pathfinders same
2 Ghostkeels to paint
5 Crisis suits to paint
9 Stealth suits to paint
1 Devilfish to paint

Kill team scenery, base coated.

I don't need more models. I'm good. Thanks.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

My current queue/to-do list for 2019 includes about a dozen Guild Ball models, a handful of Star Wars Legion models, half the Speed Freeks box, an Iron Hands kill team roster (15-20 models), and a crap ton of terrain. An ork kill team is also a possibility.

My main goal for 2019 is to not buy into any new minis games, and to not pick up any new factions for games I already play. I expect I will fail at this goal before the month is out.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Find an event and sign up for it. I used NOVA to get 2500 points painted in 8 months, and I'm really glad I did because now I have a fun army I can play with.

This. I did a 3000 point Vampire Counts Warmaster army in the 30 days leading up to Adepticon this past year. A hard deadline is a great incentivizer. I'd like to say I won't put myself through that again this year, but who knows.

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

I had a bit of burnout last year, but still managed to squeeze out some Custodes:

More pics: https://www.instagram.com/crabstuffedmushrooms/

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Here's everything I painted since June 2018.

They look so good as a whole group!

Not a whole lot by many people's standards, but I'm still getting in the habit of painting regularly. This year I would like to finish everything from Dark Imperium set and the Imperial Fists Supremacy Force I got at the end of the year: 2 captains, 2 lieutenants, an ancient, 15 intercessors, 10 hellblasters, 2 aggressors (to bring me to the 5 I want), 5 inceptors (that I have all ready to basecoat), and 1 redemptor. I've probably halved the painting time per model since I began and I should have some more free time that I did last year, so fingers crossed!

I'm starting a terminator squad for January though. Way to kick the can down the road!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
First model of 2019, the primer hosed up so I painted a glowing skull to distract from that.

Goals for 2019 is to paint up 2000pts of Death to play against my Chaos army so I can pretend I have an opponent. Also to get my new fangled airbrush setup ready so I can avoid the aforementioned primer issues.

EDIT: Here's his buddies that I started last month:

richyp fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 2, 2019

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Here's everything I painted since June 2018.

They look so good as a whole group!

Not a whole lot by many people's standards, but I'm still getting in the habit of painting regularly.

They look great to me! It's easy to get lost in individual models. Nothing wrong with that approach but most people's eyes will be on the whole army when you've got them on tabletop.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

richyp posted:

First model of 2019, the primer hosed up so I painted a glowing skull to distract from that.

Goals for 2019 is to paint up 2000pts of Death to play against my Chaos army so I can pretend I have an opponent. Also to get my new fangled airbrush setup ready so I can avoid the aforementioned primer issues.

EDIT: Here's his buddies that I started last month:

Those are some really nice spookybros, richyp! The voodoo glow skull really helps tie the necromancer in with the rest of the ghosts.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I’m going to commit myself to painting and basing a unit before building another. I’m staring 2019 with my Mymeara Eldar Guardians, and I want to keep going with those until I have a playable army.

I’ll post photos once the guardians are done. I got the Mymeara IA book and I’m redoing some details to match the color plates there.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

berzerkmonkey posted:

You're in luck - Warmaster is pretty easy to paint to a good tabletop standard. High Elves are the best, since they're usually a lot of white, steel, and a bright color for the shield.
Yeah, it's real nice painting at the smaller scale. Hell, as you could see in my album I linked in my previous post, I started doing a decent amount of freehand on banners and shields, something I never did with any of my other armies beforehand. Takes a little getting used to to get everything functional without looking like poo poo (and even then that hand shield isn't the greatest), but the small size and wide open shields and banners are definitely pushing me to be way more experimental with my painting.

quote:

A buddy of mine went nuts and drilled out all of the spearmen hands and replaced the spears with needles. Don't do that.

Too late, already did it myself. I mean sure, I only have 3½ units compared to his 8 (I'm bashing half a unit of spears and half a unit of archers to cobble together a Lothern Sea Guard unit), but they're already drilled, pinned, glued and primed, just waiting their turn.

Gonna finish up my dragon rider first, though, get more than just the yellow and bone basecoats and sepia wash on him. Maybe bang out another hero or two at the same time.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The thing with that is, I don't have a car or drive at the moment due to finances, so even if there were an event I'd like to go to, a) I'm not sure how I'd make it there and back, let alone where I'd stay, and b) I don't know if I'd be able to swing getting the time off work in order to go. Although, looking at the local wargamers' association's events, there is a guy who does host some Epic games, so maybe I could see if there's any Warmaster players too...

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Aniodia posted:

Personally, I'd like to actually finish an army and get to the point where I can play a game or two. Over the past decade or so, I've tried to get into a couple of different non-GW wargames, like Warmahordes, Dropzone, and others, and I've always ended up selling the armies off half painted and never used, because I don't really want to play an army that's bare metal/plastic/whatever.

:same:

Hoping to get my 1500 pts Blood Angels/Knights army painted and playable this year. In a more lofty sense, my overarching goal is to focus more on making progress and less on perfecting individual models.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Yeah boiiiiiz! Another year of painting progress!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Last year I put together a painting progress thread as part of my New Year's resolution. It was well received, and while I didn't complete my resolution of painting an hour a day I did manage to get 2500 points of Knights and Deathwatch painted. So we're going to keep it going with even less pressure in 2019. Not gimmicks, no :toxx: clauses, just paint and show the cool stuff you're working on.

My goal this year is pretty simple; do something hobby-related every day and paint two units before I purchase something new. So let's keep it going!

Here's what I did in 2018:

Still lovin' that bone white.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm trying to figure out a color scheme for my Planet Eaters for Monsterpocalypse. I'm thinking of using the scheme from Lavos and his Spawn from Chrono Trigger since they're so drat similar, story-wise. Any opinions?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Last year I painted 280 models.

This year my goal is to do nowhere near as many, but paint them to a higher standard - especially an Adeptus Titanicus army (I guess this is happening now!) and a Harlequins army.

I also want to beat the substantial part of my backlog into submission. If I can finish the year at < 50 models outstanding, that's a net reduction of 50, which is good going.

Contrary to all of the above about standards and stuff, here's my first model of 2019, an Ur-Ghul painted with the simple formula of "cover in ulthuan grey, wash heavily, pick out weird eye holes." His chief purpose in life is to die in plane crashes so my Archons don't.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Maaan, Warmaster :blush:

My other other secret love. One day I’ll get to you... one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

Todays effort. Feels like I used an unfeasible amount of different paints and shades to reach a result that doesn't look like I used much different paints and shades. Quite happy with it though. Definitely one of my favourite Primaris models though.