Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

corn in the bible posted:

I mean, I think the Ghostbusters reboot is actually quite bad?

Still better than Ghostbusters 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I mean, I think the Ghostbusters reboot is actually quite bad? I'm sure there's people who were angry because WOMEN GHOSTBUSTER but it's also a movie with basically no script or directorial vision

Yeah, but it's a lot harder to cut through with the latter when there's so many people brainlessly screeching about the former, is my point. They're drowning out actual criticism.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is why Oxygen is so great, because it's completely unashamed in its,"gently caress Capitalism t:mad:t" ethos.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Real Tweet:

https://twitter.com/staceyabrams/status/1093672777876467712

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

:aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stacey Abrams: You know... I could run for President. I could be President of this Country.
Mysterious Booming Voice: You know I rather think you might!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Stacey Abrams: You know... I could run for President. I could be President of this Country.
Mysterious Booming Voice: You know I rather think you might!

"You may be a president. But I'm the President. The definite article, you might say."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Colin Baker: Well as THE President I have to sa-
Robert Mueller: Sorry we impeached you in absentia.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mitch McConnell: I'm sure that we can work together, Madam President. Is there anything I can get you?
Stacy Abrams: Jellybabies.
Mitch McConnell: Is there a particular color, or...?
Stacy Abrams: Anything but white.
Mitch: *sweating* Uh, the only ones that I seem to carry, Madam President, you see...
Stacy: One grows tired of jellybabies, Turtle. *grabbing Mitch by the Turtleneck* One grows tired of everything............ except power!! :D

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

No not the Mueller Probe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Astroman posted:

No not the Mueller Probe.
It's a Mueller screwdriver.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

(at Congressional hearings about fossil fuels and clean energy initiatives)

"Oil? An emergency? Ha! It's about time the people who run this planet of ours realised that to be dependent on a mineral slime just doesn't make sense."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'll be using this picture with meme captions for a talk at work today, wish me luck.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1090569832414789632

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Sydney Bottocks posted:

(at Congressional hearings about fossil fuels and clean energy initiatives)

"Oil? An emergency? Ha! It's about time the people who run this planet of ours realised that to be dependent on a mineral slime just doesn't make sense."

What about our supply of unlimited rice pudding?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

I mean, I think the Ghostbusters reboot is actually quite bad? I'm sure there's people who were angry because WOMEN GHOSTBUSTER but it's also a movie with basically no script or directorial vision

I mean, four female ghostbusters? The feminists are taking over!

~I'm an adult virgin~

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
im watching the third doctor story " The Mind of Evil" right now. it is surprisingly not racist/sexist for having female chinese communists in it!!

started watching classic with the twitch marathon and i hear from the start of the third doctor until the end of the fourth is the best part??

spearhead from space is visually really well made. is it the only classic who in color to be shot entirely on film?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Slaapaav posted:

spearhead from space is visually really well made. is it the only classic who in color to be shot entirely on film?

Yeah, there was a Union strike of some sort from memory so they were "forced" to only use film, and of course the episode looked great as a result.

I remember really enjoying Mind of Evil but also that it is one of the stories where it was most obvious that this was intended to be watched weekly as opposed to all at once, what with the constant prison takeovers. Frontier in Space is another one, with the Doctor being captured/escaping/recaptured etc over and over again.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Watching the gunfighters in between Red Dead 2 sessions is a bit of a strange experience.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, there was a Union strike of some sort from memory so they were "forced" to only use film, and of course the episode looked great as a result.

I think it was also noted that it was a bit of a happy accident, as Pertwee had worked mostly in radio and film. Since they were shooting it on film, they were able to help ease him into the transition from doing movies to doing TV by just treating it like another movie shoot for him.

And speaking of Pertwee in film,

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Slaapaav posted:

im watching the third doctor story " The Mind of Evil" right now. it is surprisingly not racist/sexist for having female chinese communists in it!!

started watching classic with the twitch marathon and i hear from the start of the third doctor until the end of the fourth is the best part??

Three has some really problematic aspects (namely making the Doctor a Tory, although his Glam aesthetic makes that somewhat debateable [I don't debate it, Pertwee is great but Three is insufferable]) and a great deal of Four is solid but it has its own issues.

I think at the end of the day it really boils down to what you want out of Doctor Who. For some, Monsters is the whole point so Two is the best, and for others Weird poo poo is the point and therefore One is the only true Who.

I personally argue that Seven is the best part of Who because its story editor wanted to overthrow the government with the show and was willing to use J.G. Ballard, Camp and Proto-Goth to make commentary on society and the universe (plus use an actor who performed multi-hour stage productions of the Illuminatus! Trilogy) to talk about a clown with a box.

Which is what makes Who so cool; there's at some level something for everyone.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Renaissance Spam posted:

making the Doctor a Tory

Three might be a little too cozy with UNIT at times, but he's hardly a Tory.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i never watched classic who

which doctor is the furthest leftist? oxygen was great for sure but does somebody else symbolize it better?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I haven't watched much old Who but I believe that would be 7

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's a post somewhere about how the Doctor swings back and forward between being a revolutionary and a defender of the establishment but I can't find it.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Three might be a little too cozy with UNIT at times, but he's hardly a Tory.

I'm being slightly hyperbolic here but there's plenty of things to showcase Pertwee's Doctor as performatively Tory (again the Glam aesthetic dilutes this somewhat) from his smug putdown of Brownrose in Terror of the Autons by referring to conversing with Brownrose's Boss at the club; his offhanded comments about how Gentlemen never speak about money and his dismissal of Jo during their first interaction as a "hamfisted bun vendor" (dismissing her both on gender AND assumed working class job) that lean towards the more "landed gentry" type of conservative.

I don't want to completely dismiss your argument, I think there's plenty of argument to say that Three isn't actually a Tory but there's enough choices made in the character to make him more problematic than other Doctors.

Mameluke posted:

which doctor is the furthest leftist? oxygen was great for sure but does somebody else symbolize it better?

That's a tough question and I'm far from an expert but I lean towards Sylvester McCoy (7) simply because of the time it was made, namely the height of Thatcher's power and the rise of punk, plus the literate undertones that a LOT of McCoy's serials played with. If you're looking for good examples within his run I would suggest The Happiness Patrol and Greatest Show in the Galaxy (which is more a criticism of Boomer idealism/corruption and Doctor Who as a whole, the latter of which is more of a context thing than anything else).

There's honestly arguments for every Doctor being leftist (even 3) on some level; unfortunately at a certain point one has to acknowledge that the character is based on the Victorian Inventor trope with all the colonialist baggage attached to that and take what you can get.

2house2fly posted:

I haven't watched much old Who but I believe that would be 7

:) :respek: :)

Renaissance Spam fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 9, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Just from TV shows I'd say Seven, but if you include audios maybe Six just on the strength of being in Jubilee.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Renaissance Spam posted:

There's honestly arguments for every Doctor being leftist (even 3) on some level; unfortunately at a certain point one has to acknowledge that the character is based on the Victorian Inventor trope with all the colonialist baggage attached to that and take what you can get.

I've always wondered how damaged Eight is by having the closest resemblance to that archetype. His radio stuff with Charlie could often be problematic in its approach to class and colonialism.

e.g. Storm Warning, The Sword Of Orion, The Next Life, The Girl Who Never Was. Chimes plays around with these themes too, but in a more critical way.

Or I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. Any takers?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i feel like three turned into a knowitall jerk after liz shaw left.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've always wondered how damaged Eight is by having the closest resemblance to that archetype. His radio stuff with Charlie could often be problematic in its approach to class and colonialism.

e.g. Storm Warning, The Sword Of Orion, The Next Life, The Girl Who Never Was. Chimes plays around with these themes too, but in a more critical way.

Or I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. Any takers?

I think 8 suffered more from "generic doctor" in the Charlie stories than anything inherent in the character. From the BBC books, the movie and McGann's own approach to the character there was so much push and pull on what the character should be that the writers had to play it safe and because "generic doctor" is basically "alien Victorian inventor" it sadly leaned into those tropes pretty hard. Later Big Finish definitely improved 8 a great deal Imo.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I liked the new Ghostbusters. Chris Helmsworth's comedic chops was a pleasant surprise after only seeing him in the first two Thor movies.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Slaapaav posted:

i feel like three turned into a knowitall jerk after liz shaw left.

Funny, I thought he was much more pompous in the Shaw season. He talked down to everyone and bristled at everything. Jo mellowed him to a degree, because he had a reason to care about something other than escaping Earth. And the more he cared, and the more he protected, the more travel he went on. Then one day he was free, and he had a friend to take along. :)

Yes, there’s creative / budgetary reasons the stories were written that way, but it’s fun to read a character arc into Three’s softening, and ultimate heartbreak in what might have been the most lefty 70’s episode of the bunch, The Green Death. Hippies saved us! Capitalism is bad! Beware the automated AI! Check your byproducts! Science can be bad, but can also be good! What a great story that one is.

Plus the bit where Three finally gets what he wanted and makes it to Metebelis 3, and consequences abound for years after.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I really really hate the Three is a Tory take. Since when did a Tory do anything to help anyone? Three is kind and compassionate and wise, the total opposite of conservative ideology.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

marktheando posted:

I really really hate the Three is a Tory take. Since when did a Tory do anything to help anyone? Three is kind and compassionate and wise, the total opposite of conservative ideology.

Plus he bristles at authority (see how he routinely jabs at people like Chinn in "The Claws of Axos", the IMC leader in "Colony in Space", and Stahlman in "Inferno"), he displays an interest in and knowledge of cultures and societies outside of Britain (both Earthbound and galactic), and he has a profound respect for science. And he was friends with Mao Tse Tung. All things disdained by your average Tory voter. :v:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
If any of the Doctors is a Tory, it's clearly Ten. Kicks the Prime Minister out because he personally disliked what she did, lusts after a girl hundreds of years younger than him, has to use an elaborate piece of technology to be temporarily human...

I only saw the new Ghostbusters movie once, so I hesitate to do much analysis of it. My impression was that the ad libbed dialogue was less memorable, the physical comedy was better, the plotting was more solid. The two big problems, in my mind, was making the "human" villain too much of a male power fantasy (where Dana/Zuul was very clearly another male fantasy in the original film), and not understanding how central character development was in the original movie. The original Ghostbusters really works on the strength of Venkman's character arc, from cynical exploiter of crap science to "too cool for this crap that is actually happening" to "HE SLIMED ME." Venkman goes from being part of the paranormal studies group because he wants to sleep with women, to being a ghostbuster because he wants to sleep with women, to actually wanting to save the world (and maybe getting to sleep with women afterward, but not, like, as his main objective).

It's the story of an rear end in a top hat who becomes an rear end in a top hat hero.

The 2016 Ghostbusters spreads out the development more, but it's pretty limited and focused much more on relationships within the team without a broader redemptive character arc. Making the Stanz-like Yates carry the weight while not really having a clear Venkman substitute doesn't help. Jones' character is at least more central to the story than poor Ernie Hudson's Winston was (though the Real Ghostbusters cartoon's making Winston a central character partly repaired that problem... if not for Hudson, who lost out on his own role). The things that happen between the four main characters somehow seem disconnected from the action of the film even though on paper they shouldn't be (especially Gilbert's arc from buttoned-up college professor to portal-diving badass).

On the spectrum of bad, it doesn't even come near Who at its worst. In terms of wasted potential, it might be up there with Torchwood (as a whole): much better than you might recall, not nearly as good as it should have been.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It kind of makes sense that while the Doctor may have broken from the stultifying, insular Time Lord culture, he would still struggle with the attitudes he was indoctrinated with. Some of his outburts could be seen as a retreat to that old shell of arrogance and disdain in order to deal with the culture shock of being stuck on Earth, and his occasional impatience of dealing with people who can't even come close to keeping up with him intellectually.

I used to roll my eyes at Moffat's glimpses of the Doctor's childhood, but in this light it does add a nice dimension to the character, that he was just a lonely hillbilly kid plucked up from the sticks and stuck in the universe's worst public (British sense) school, where he's simultaneously subjected to horrendous abuse (temporal and, presumably, otherwise) and inculcated with the belief that they are the gods of causality.

edit: While, on the other hand...

Narsham posted:

If any of the Doctors is a Tory, it's clearly Ten. Kicks the Prime Minister out because he personally disliked what she did, lusts after a girl hundreds of years younger than him, has to use an elaborate piece of technology to be temporarily human...

Ten was a complete piece of poo poo who was so obsessed with being The Last of the Time Lords that he ended up embracing some of their worst aspects, only without the part where they pledged never to interfere. The worst bits of Time Lord arrogance and the Doctor's rebelliousness, combined.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 9, 2019

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mameluke posted:

That's, uh, not how life works, chief

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mameluke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6c6AxhAal0

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I very recently read the short story Continuity Errors, which implies the Doctor uses telepathic powers to influence people

quote:

How comforting that he appears humanoid. But is he truly? How reassuring that he even seems to wear our clothes. But is that even probable? Most troubling of all, everyone on record as having known the Doctor insists that he is a good man, a hero in fact. But did they think that for themselves? Or did he think it for them?
Anyway, throws scenes like that into a slightly uncomfortable light!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

How lovely to hit post twice :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

3 was a political prisoner who consistently denounced the military as an institution.