Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Brainwrong posted:

Cheer up lads, only one of you will be sacked by the end of the year.

sad bull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWvbuqsWrCE

Chills

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Just buy Mobil or Pentosin and call it a day.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Here's the Mercedes, may all their engines blow up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au6kwvREWPY

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Toro Rosso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfkDH4amASQ

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

who thought uploading this rattling peice of poo poo audio was a good idea oh thats best they could get

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidpoocati posted:

Mods can I link the gofundme for a missionwinow livery for my tonykart

Rosso Corsa or get the gently caress out.

Also that Honda sounds like poo poo. Rbr is hosed

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Dubs posted:

who thought uploading this rattling peice of poo poo audio was a good idea oh thats best they could get

Lol my loving subaru sounded better than this

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Sounded like it wasn't firing on all cylinders except when revved up a bit. Could that be by design though, simple cylinder deactivation? Although I noticed the Benz sounded smooth at all RPMs so I assume that's not what it is because if there was some benefit to that the people with the good engine would be doing it too. Yet another year I am baffled to rediscover that Honda, of all people, can't make engines.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Renault are going to finish 3rd ahead of Red Bull just because of Honda engine problems

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I don't like making finishing order predictions because I'm always wrong but I'm pretty confident in saying Haas will be dead last.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
As someone with extremely sharp mind and ears, I can completely gauge the performance and reliability of these highly sophisticated engines through their engine notes off a highly compressed garbage encoded youtube streamed video.

I'm also extremely retarded forza ferrari

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I could link a loving rotary starting up saying it’s the Renault engine and 80% of you idiots would believe it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
No but real talk you can hear when an engine isn't firing on all cylinders intermittently while running and I would like a Scarbs explanation of why the Honda sounds like that. There's no such thing as a cold start up for F1 engines is there?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

No but real talk you can hear when an engine isn't firing on all cylinders intermittently while running and I would like a Scarbs explanation of why the Honda sounds like that. There's no such thing as a cold start up for F1 engines is there?

Nope, the engines have to be heated before being fired up, or else they don’t seal correctly. You can sometimes see an engine smoke a bit before the turbo warms up enough to stop leaking.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There’s no real way to know based off a tiny out of context sound clip that likely was manipulated but if I was to guess I would say it’s probably for balance reasons. 90 degree V6s are like the worst engines for balance and if the ignition events are spread out at low RPM it might be pretty noticeable so they just control it through cylinder deactivation.

I find it pretty laughable to believe that it’s just down to being a poorly designed engine. Whatever they’re doing there it’s by design.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wirth1000 posted:

As someone with extremely sharp mind and ears, I can completely gauge the performance and reliability of these highly sophisticated engines through their engine notes off a highly compressed garbage encoded youtube streamed video.

I'm also extremely retarded forza ferrari

Hi highly compressed garbage encoded youtube streamed video.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

Hi highly compressed garbage encoded youtube streamed video.

hey

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
We will see when the flag drops. But Honda engines historically sounded rough as hell.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The hybrid-era Honda always had this sound when running off throttle. It was really extreme during the very first barcelona testing with McLaren, but it stuck since then. According to Honda, it's a feature, and there are dozens of possible explanations of why they change the firing order off throttle, but I haven't seen anything official up until know. You could hear it in free practise in the past, irregardless of McLaren or Toro Rosso.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

tuo posted:

The hybrid-era Honda always had this sound when running off throttle. It was really extreme during the very first barcelona testing with McLaren, but it stuck since then. According to Honda, it's a feature, and there are dozens of possible explanations of why they change the firing order off throttle, but I haven't seen anything official up until know. You could hear it in free practise in the past, irregardless of McLaren or Toro Rosso.

how on earth do you change the firing order without changing the crankshaft, or am i massively overthinking this

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Wiltsghost posted:

Here's the Mercedes, may all their engines blow up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au6kwvREWPY

Was it filmed at a ninja graduation party?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rhopunzel posted:

how on earth do you change the firing order without changing the crankshaft, or am i massively overthinking this

Ignition system can send a spark wherever it feels like, it hasn’t been physically tied to crank position on most cars since the early 90s.

Having said that I can’t see a reason you would possibly do it and not just opt for cylinder deactivation. You’re going to get knock and incomplete detonation on some cylinders trying that and on such a fuel tight formula I don’t know what that would achieve.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidpoocati posted:

Ignition system can send a spark wherever it feels like, it hasn’t been physically tied to crank position on most cars since the early 90s.

Having said that I can’t see a reason you would possibly do it and not just opt for cylinder deactivation. You’re going to get knock and incomplete detonation on some cylinders trying that and on such a fuel tight formula I don’t know what that would achieve.

It worked fine on the single cylinder model

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Ignition timing can't change firing order though unless you're talking about cylinder deactivation or something.

tuo posted:

According to Honda, it's a feature,
In the same way that -80hp was a feature and 3 more ICE units used per season was a feature?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thinking about it... You could conceivably use a really ridiculously over complicated variable valve timing system to change the firing order on an engine and keep full compression but VVT is banned on these engines.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ignition timing can't change firing order though unless you're talking about cylinder deactivation or something.

Without mapping it out I feel like it could you just would have ignition on some cylinder at like 20psi compression that would accomplish almost the exact same thing as not sending a spark at all.

Like you could for whatever really dumb reason let full compression on one cylinder happen with no detonation and proceed to the exhaust stroke, detonate another cylinder on its upstroke to full compression then detonate the first one, there’s nothing really stopping you from doing that. It just would accomplish almost nothing.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rhopunzel posted:

you only fire half the time (many road engines from merc do this to save fuel, though they also don't inject fuel in them)
(that's the only thing I can think off that wouldn't cause major vibrations and actually gently caress up the overall idea of the engine....then again, it's Honda)

tuo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 9, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Like seriously: I haven't - to this date - found a sound reason on the net from anyone why the Honda engine does what it does.

There was a single year (IIRC 2016) where the Renault engine had a similar sound off throttle for it's first engine revision that year. They got rid of it pretty soon. Don't know it it's a failed attempt at pre-chamber ignition....

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

tuo posted:

you only fire half the time (many road engines from merc do this to save fuel, though they also don't inject fuel in them)
(that's the only thing I can think off that wouldn't cause major vibrations and actually gently caress up the overall idea of the engine....then again, it's Honda)

That’s cylinder deactivation

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidpoocati posted:

That’s cylinder deactivation

Yeah...technichally changed the firing order, though.

Thing is: obviously (I mean, everyone can hear it) Honda does deactivate cylinders off-throttle, the question is why? We no longer have EBDs anyway, so what's the advantage of changed firing anyway (apart from maybe keeping the turbo revs up, but we have ERS for that)? Keeping up compression with a turbo???

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There’s any number of advantages to doing it, cooling, engine braking, arguably a primitive form of rear ABS, less carbon generated in the combustion chamber so longevity, less energy use out of the hybrid system.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So if I understand you correctly: Honda hosed that up?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I don't like making finishing order predictions because I'm always wrong but I'm pretty confident in saying Haas will be dead last.

I'd happily bet on them going backwards. Last year they only really beat McLaren, Sauber, Toro Rosso and Williams.

Sauber are now Ferrari's golden boy, Toro Rosso have as much of the Red Bull as they have of the Ferrari and Williams now have 1 3/4 drivers.

It depends how much McLaren and Williams are lying about finding the "one reason our cars sucked monkey balls".

Still, looking that up allowed me to remember Big Stoff finished 1 race in 10 in the middle of the season.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Every single team is bigger than Haas so their hopes rely almost entirely on executing flawlessly and other teams loving up. Last year was great for them because McLaren and Williams hosed up so badly and Force India had to start over from scratch after they got bought out. It's nearly impossible they don't fall back.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Haas having to remove the name of their title sponsor from their car and team apparel halfway through the year is gonna be pretty funny.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidpoocati posted:

Haas having to remove the name of their title sponsor from their car and team apparel halfway through the year is gonna be pretty funny.

Half way? That's optimistic.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

Half way? That's optimistic.

Americans are gullible.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Basticle posted:

If you haven't watched it yet the latest Grand Tour has an excellent Jim Clark film.

https://streamable.com/5bqgr
https://streamable.com/tvniw
https://streamable.com/2jj5d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That bearded guy (named Rich I assume?) who's squatting in an abandoned flat in shittinghamshire will be the next Mateschitz and you guys will be so upset that you underestimated him.