Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cessna posted:

There's a long history of women going to war with an army, often in what would now be characterized as Logistics jobs - selling food, washing laundry, mending or making clothes, etc.

It is distressing to see how quickly male historians tack on "and they were prostitutes" to any description of them. Undoubtedly some were, but at the same time it seems more than a bit presumptively misogynist to assume that this was universal.

No, I am NOT saying you did this.

Oh. Well the same lectures did not really do this in any way, it was quite in depth and serious and talked about all the normal camp follower things like you mentioned of which prostitution isn't a given at all really.

The point was that there were many incidents of specifically prostitutes dressing up as soldiers in order to get into the armies and do their thing so to speak. Because the instance to which such women were tolerated in camp could vary quite widely depending on the commandign officers, this sometimes was the way chosen by these women to get into camp. This way their identity would be known by the soldiers they were staying with but not usually by their higher ranking officers. Then, sometimes, staying in camp in uniform turned into campaigning and sometimes even taking part in battles.

That's it really. It wasn't supposed to be saying that all women disguising themselves as soldiers were prostitutes, just that disguising themselves as soldiers sometimes was the path taken by prositutes during the civil war to get into camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol, which one. It's been forever since I listened to them.

Links 2 3 4

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Randarkman posted:

Oh. Well the same lectures did not really do this in any way, it was quite in depth and serious and talked about all the normal camp follower things like you mentioned of which prostitution isn't a given at all really.

The point was that there were many incidents of specifically prostitutes dressing up as soldiers in order to get into the armies and do their thing so to speak. Because the instance to which such women were tolerated in camp could vary quite widely depending on the commandign officers, this sometimes was the way chosen by these women to get into camp. This way their identity would be known by the soldiers they were staying with but not usually by their higher ranking officers. Then, sometimes, staying in camp in uniform turned into campaigning and sometimes even taking part in battles.

That's it really. It wasn't supposed to be saying that all women disguising themselves as soldiers were prostitutes, just that disguising themselves as soldiers sometimes was the path taken by prositutes during the civil war to get into camp.

Again, I'm not saying you're making the assertion.

Rather - well, look at the French army's Vivandieres. These were women who went with the French Army during the Revolutionary/Napoleonic wars. They were required by regulation to be married to a soldier in their Regiment and did jobs like foraging for and selling food to the soldiers to supplement their rations. Some were documented as having been in combat, and all undoubtedly led hard lives. It's a little dispiriting to read the inevitable "and they were prostitutes" when there's a lot of evidence that they weren't.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cessna posted:

Again, I'm not saying you're making the assertion.

Rather - well, look at the French army's Vivandieres. These were women who went with the French Army during the Revolutionary/Napoleonic wars. They were required by regulation to be married to a soldier in their Regiment and did jobs like foraging for and selling food to the soldiers to supplement their rations. Some were documented as having been in combat, and all undoubtedly led hard lives. It's a little dispiriting to read the inevitable "and they were prostitutes" when there's a lot of evidence that they weren't.

I don't think you are accusing me of it, but neither do I think the historian(or historians) in question in my example were making the assertion. They weren't accusing women who stayed with the armies of being prostitutes, they were talking about how some prostitutes went about staying close to the armies. There's a difference.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Azerban posted:

Links 2 3 4

lol they really didn't go subtle did they

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m Googling and can’t find anything online saying it’s closed. It says it reopened in September 2017 and isn’t expected to need restoration for another 20 years.

The wife and I went back around Thanksgiving and it's open. We were able to access the the top three decks. Peeking down there's still some work in progress on the lower decks, but I'm not sure if they're ever open to the public anyway.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m Googling and can’t find anything online saying it’s closed. It says it reopened in September 2017 and isn’t expected to need restoration for another 20 years.

It was even open when it was in dry dock!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Freedom Trail trip report: I made it as far as crossing the bridge into Charlestown before blisters and a meetup with another goon forced me to call it quits. The bridge had winds I’d estimate at 30+ MPH, nearly pushing me into the river and sandblasting me with grit from the road. It’s still in my mouth.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Zudgemud posted:

Got a question regarding swords. Why did people make flamberge type swords? Simply bragging fashion?

Short answer - yes.

Long answer - the wavy design does have a practical use. It means at when you swing it at someone, at the point of impact you will focus the force on a smaller area of the blade. In addition, your swing naturally will never be a perfectly perpendicular chop, so the curved portion of the blade will assist in slicing through the person you hit. It's using the same basic principles behind making a curved sword in general, even a small amount of curve means a smaller point of impact and more focused force. A flamberge or kriss gets that benefit while still being straight, and they look dope as hell.

They are a giant pain in the rear end to sharpen though, as well as a whole lot harder and more expensive to make, so in general they are pretty rare since even people who could afford them would be irritated in keeping them sharp.

They look cool as gently caress though so yeah, that's basically why they were made.

Edit: also Sabaton owns and yes they probably should have avoided songs like Ghost Division cause there are gonna be racists that latch onto that regardless of Sabaton's intent. At the same Ghost Division is a metal af name so a metal band using that is not exactly a surprise.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 9, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's Rammstein

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Whoops.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's frigging Rammstein.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

Freedom Trail trip report: I made it as far as crossing the bridge into Charlestown before blisters and a meetup with another goon forced me to call it quits. The bridge had winds I’d estimate at 30+ MPH, nearly pushing me into the river and sandblasting me with grit from the road. It’s still in my mouth.
evilmerlin told you it sucked in boston today

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HEY GUNS posted:

evilmerlin told you it sucked in boston today

should've come earlier, it was like 60 degrees on tuesday. hell, it was 55 this afternoon, you just missed it

I would recommend more milhist-adjacent boston sights but it looks like you already got all the ones I knew about, and several I didn't. The only other thing I can think of is the minuteman trail, which purports to follow the route of paul revere's ride, but it's a bit out of your way and frankly it's just a bike path

If you get to bunker hill at the right time, you can watch someone fire a musket. That's all I got

double ninja edit: lexington and concord are cool, but you gotta drive

Green dragon is a historic tavern, but it's also smack dab in tourist land so you don't really get the history vibe if you try to go there for a drink at peak hours. There's also a recentishly-opened (within the past few years) tea party museum but it too is very touristy; you can toss a box off the side while shouting "huzzah," while a beleagured employee in period dress hauls it back up for the next group. I walk past it every day for work and have witnessed many a huzzah, but have never been inside

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 9, 2019

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Fell down a weird hole:

Y'all probably know this:

hobbesmaster posted:

They also built silly things like a submarine aircraft carrier

Japanese giant aircraft carrier submarine I-400, for wrecking the Panama canal

So, the IJN had other classes of subs carrying aircraft, one of these sub/aircraft combos bombed America, twice.

Yokosuka E14Y 'Glen' with the two men who flew it over America

And then the wikipedia article mentioned these guys also used their floatplane to recon Aukland, NZ, and succsessfully attack a ship in the harbor of Sydney, Austraila.

This article mentions "this is the only other time NZ has been overflown by enemy aircraft, the first being---

the Friedrichshafen FF.33, which was launched from the SMS Wolf, a Merchant raider of the Kaiser's navy that managed to sink 110,000 tons of shipping in its single war cruise, also using its biplane floatplane to drop mines in the harbors of Colombo and Calcutta, as well as skulk around Australia and NZ, as it possessed a 59,000 km range, thanks to its bunker of some 8000 tons of coal

The SMS Wolf successfully returned to Germany with 400 something POWs and booty seized from merchant ships.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I don’t think the plane dropped the mines, I’m having hard time figuring out a biplane carrying a 500+ kg naval mines at 1917. I’m thinking the ship laid the mines after the plane scouted the ports.

Anyway that raider had an impressive career.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/mattklewis/status/1094047789024243712

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

They are a giant pain in the rear end to sharpen though, as well as a whole lot harder and more expensive to make, so in general they are pretty rare since even people who could afford them would be irritated in keeping them sharp.

Surely you have someone for that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

should've come earlier, it was like 60 degrees on tuesday. hell, it was 55 this afternoon, you just missed it

I arrived on Tuesday afternoon but had the LBM Expo taking up most of my time. I spent all of today from around 11:00 to 6:30 on the Freedom Trail, including going into every museum that was open before reaching Charlestown.

As soon as I crossed the bridge I called it. I wasn’t kidding about nearly getting blown into the river; those gusts were pushing me off my feet and I was fighting to stay away from the railing. They’re expecting 50 MPH this weekend.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
RE: Bostonchat

I was there in August and the Constitution was definitely open like TerminalSaint said. I learned that: A. its loving rad, B. I'm waaaay too tall to be a 18th/19th century sailor.

And like Ainsley McTree said, the Minuteman trail is basically just a gravel trail winding through some small farms. There are some surprisingly decent placards along the way giving historical background about the events and era on the trail though. I was expecting some "plucky 'merican's showed the dainty British what their hunting rifles could do" and instead got "generations of intensive farming and huge population growth had degraded and segmented the farmland, and additional British taxation demands pushed the Americans who were several generations removed from Britain to fight back against an unreasonable burden. Oh, and the British regulars were badly supported conscripts who didn't really want to be there in the first place."

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Commerce raiders are a very cool bit of history.

e: when it comes to metal I prefer the singing about weed type

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

RE: Bostonchat

I was there in August and the Constitution was definitely open like TerminalSaint said. I learned that: A. its loving rad, B. I'm waaaay too tall to be a 18th/19th century sailor.

Yeah that’s what I took away too. Even hunkering down and walking around the empty deck, polished and prepared for 21st century tourists was pretty cramped. Now fill it with triple-bunked swarthy sailors living off hardtack and grog? gently caress off, nobody could live like that, surely

But yeah, life as an enlisted sailor in those days was just...just not good, even before people start shooting at you. Definitely recommend doing the ship tour if you’re able, check out the attached museum too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

But yeah, life as an enlisted sailor in those days was just...just not good
they had a strong sense of their self-worth though--read The Wooden World for descriptions of it. Like if wages were low they'd walk off.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

aphid_licker posted:

Commerce raiders are a very cool bit of history.

e: when it comes to metal I prefer the singing about weed type

Sailors on one of the Confederate commerce raiders were some of the last people to fight in the American Civil War, simply because they had no way to find out that it was over.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah that’s what I took away too. Even hunkering down and walking around the empty deck, polished and prepared for 21st century tourists was pretty cramped. Now fill it with triple-bunked swarthy sailors living off hardtack and grog? gently caress off, nobody could live like that, surely

The crampedness of it was the thing that struck me the most besides the impossibly large timbers that built the thing. I thought going in the ship's complement was ~300 and I thought that was crazy once I got on board. Then I checked after the tour and found it was 450 people. I should really read Hey Gun's book recommendation because the social implications of cramming that many people in that small of a space must be insane.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

The crampedness of it was the thing that struck me the most besides the impossibly large timbers that built the thing. I thought going in the ship's complement was ~300 and I thought that was crazy once I got on board. Then I checked after the tour and found it was 450 people. I should really read Hey Gun's book recommendation because the social implications of cramming that many people in that small of a space must be insane.
read about early modern big city life at some point
there is no privacy. None whatsoever.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The Lone Badger posted:

Surely you have someone for that?

Depends, flamberge greatswords show up during Hegels dude's time. They loved ostentatious displays but spending 2 hours sharpening their sword while their boys are out drinking is a concern. They show up past the point where the guys having big swords have squires. Certainly some did though, but even then you can imagine their hired help bitching a ton if they got a sword like that instead of a normal zweihander.

In the end they certainly were around, but were a luxury and statement weapon, while also legit being useful. The kryss was used extensively in Indonesia and the surrounding islands for good reason, if you were willing to maintain them they are excellent swords cause you can still stab a motherfucker with a straight stiff blade but also have the cutting advantages of curved swords.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GUNS posted:

lol i'm p sure he was quoting mozart there

I don't know anything about 18th century Viennese music scene or their rightwing influences but this is probably correct.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

I don't know anything about 18th century Viennese music scene or their rightwing influences but this is probably correct.

Leck mich im A[rsch] g'schwindi, g'schwindi! This would be translated into English as "lick me in the arse/rear end,[6] quickly, quickly!".

I now feel the need to know more about 18th century Viennese music if this is what they were writing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

Leck mich im A[rsch] g'schwindi, g'schwindi! This would be translated into English as "lick me in the arse/rear end,[6] quickly, quickly!".

I now feel the need to know more about 18th century Viennese music if this is what they were writing.

mozart had a distinctive sense of humor

his letters were like that too

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

mozart had a distinctive sense of humor

his letters were like that too

From one of his letters to his cousin:

quote:

Now I must relate to you a sad story that happened just this minute. As I am in the middle of my best writing, I hear a noise in the street. I stop writing—get up, go to the window—and—the noise is gone—I sit down again, start writing once more—I have barely written ten words when I hear the noise again—I rise—but as I rise, I can still hear something but very faint—it smells like something burning—wherever I go it stinks, when I look out the window, the smell goes away, when I turn my head back to the room, the smell comes back—finally My Mama says to me: I bet you let one go?—I don't think so, Mama. yes, yes, I'm quite certain, I put it to the test, stick my finger in my rear end, then put it to my nose, and—there is the proof! Mama was right!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Schadenboner posted:

Is Bolt Thrower still ok?

:ohdear:

uhm yeah, obviously.

Karl Willets posted:

Here's my account of the NJ Riot... It is a memorable point in the history of Bolt Thrower...

We were told before to expect some poo poo at this venue, we were greeted by a somewhat jumpy female promoter. Nazi skinheads had recently been walking into gigs and trashing the place and causing brawls, rumour had it tonight was to be no different.
We met with the guys from Immolation, top blokes... off their tits on PCP, the load in was amusing... I'd had a bit of crystal meth that night which may have added to the overall weirdness of the night.

Robert Muller our German friend from Century Media Records was also there, he kindly gave us the loan of his pet slugger (baseball bat), which we removed from the trunk (boot) of his car and surreptitiously hid behind the stage.

I remember throughout the support bands these nazi pricks had started to do that stupid arm stretching routine a lot... I got on stage and told them to stop... No surprise they didn't... but they'd had a warning... When we went on stage I was furious, I remember some small black dude, well into the band and metal, who was petrified by these animals, I think I warned them a couple of times... but the only thing these idiots would react to was direct confrontation.

I launched myself off the stage aiming myself at this one gangly twat, who had annoyed me particularly, and between me and the sound engineer from the venue we had them cornered. I looked out the corner of my eye to see this huge Neanderthal coming right at me, with Adolf Hitler tattooed on his chest- at this point our Tour Manager intervened with the German slugger!
I saw the nazi monster collapse to the floor with blood pissing out of his head, the backswing to the bat almost killed one of the skinhead kids whom must have been about 12.

The place descended into chaos, the security guards were related to the skinheads, it could have got bad... We loaded our gear out superquick thanks to a more together Immolation and high-tailed it out of there. As we left, Baz remembered we left the baseball bat in the venue, he went back in to retrieve it just as the skinheads returned to the venue for vengeance... I have never seen a man move so quick through a melee of flailing limbs!

We drove off and we then thought that we were being followed by carloads of nazis after our blood, so we pulled over to confront them, yelling as we approached the stopped vehicles, until we realised it was some fans just making sure we got away ok...

A great yarn, to tell the grandchildren..(!?!)

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cessna posted:

They've also done the Russian Front/Great Patriotic War (first half of the album is "German" songs (Ordered Eastward, etc.) second half is "Soviet" songs (Night Witches, etc.) and an album on WWII in the Pacific.

Frost and War and On Divine Winds are two good/great albums, I thought Rommel Chronicles was just sort of bland in general, there aren't many super memorable tracks on it IMO.

I gather Van Drunen is something of a history aficionado in general, he's done a few similar songs with his main band now that Hail of Bullets is no more.

LatwPIAT posted:

I believe Sabaton deliberately decided to stop writing songs glorifying the Wehrmacht after like... three albums? because they didn't want to give off the wrong message. But, ultimately, they just like war stuff and approach it with a child-like innocence and naivety that lends itself to really shallow approaches to the source material and celebrations ignorant of the more complicated situations surrounding conflicts. (Like Counterstrike.)

In MilHist terms, they're the guys who really like Panthers and Tigers. Not Nazis, nor really inclined to support Nazis in any way, but you look at all the other people who started off with "Panthers and Tigers are so cool!" and ended up owning a worrying number of authentic SS uniforms and it's only natural to get cold feet.

(At the same time I'm really reluctant to just abandon huge swathes of interesting military history just because a bunch of fuckers decided to like it. That gives them the ability to control the pop-cultural dialogue on the topic, and I don't want to let a bunch of Nazis stop me from taking an interest in opens envelope ...the Rhodesian Bush War? Never mind. Forget everything I said.)

Dunno about that. Every album other than Carolus Rex has had a "German track" on it IIRC. Heroes had three of them (counting the Larry Thorne one), and the most recent one had a track about Castle Itter, alongside a track about Rorke's Drift which I'm sure is as tasteful as their other songs.

And yeah it's certainly a avenue of recruitment for far-right groups. Somebody goes "hey these songs are cool" and goes looking for similar stuff, and maybe finds some band that does viking metal but is also a bit too into "Nordic heritage" or what have you, and eventually ends up at youtube content influencer StopIslamizationOfEU88's channel of national socialist metal and interviews with Varg Vikernes. Similarly now vaporwave is being used to promote fascism too.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

C.M. Kruger posted:

Similarly now vaporwave is being used to promote fascism too.

What? How?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
From a quick suggestion when you type in "fashwave" on youtube. I ain't loving clicking on any of those, but you're welcome to:

(the how and why of it is that Richard Spencer really likes Depeche Mode and thinks New Wave should be the official genre and aesthetic of the alt-right, which other morons have picked up on)

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GUNS posted:

read about early modern big city life at some point
there is no privacy. None whatsoever.

One of my favourite things about early modern London is even very rich and powerful people still do a lot of outdoor loving.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MrBling posted:

uhm yeah, obviously.

:clint:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Tias posted:

From a quick suggestion when you type in "fashwave" on youtube. I ain't loving clicking on any of those, but you're welcome to:

(the how and why of it is that Richard Spencer really likes Depeche Mode and thinks New Wave should be the official genre and aesthetic of the alt-right, which other morons have picked up on)

Nazis liking the same poo poo I do makes me so loving mad.

Re: Sabaton chat - I've listened to them since their debut album, though they've been on the backburner for a while now, but I distinctly remember the exact moment where something clicked and I realized that I just don't enjoy this band anymore.

I was in Helsinki at a Sabaton gig. Twilight Force warmed up, which was loving phenomenal, but Sabaton themselves were kind of underwhelming, if passable.

Anyway, I hadn't really listened to their latest album, when the singer starts introducing a song about a "Finnish hero" or something along those lines. "They must have done another song about that Finnish sniper lunatic in the woods, guess they've scraped that WW2 barrel clean a while ago", I think.

The song starts, and it's a run-of-the-mill upbeat Sabaton hero worship thing. It's about halfway through when I realize it's about god drat Finnish SS Nazi. At that point I was out. Bye Sabaton. I don't care if you're just clueless and ignorant or doing it on purpose, I'm out. except for the occasional Night Witches

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 9, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
E: ^^^^ well, if it makes you feel any warmer, Depeche Mode went out of their way to call Spencer a oval office when they learned about it, I know it did for me.

Having followed Sabaton a while, I gotta say they're just waraboos who don't really like the negative attention they're getting. Their songs about the soviet is full of fascist bashing, so they've been trying to address it, but they're not woke enough to realize maybe putting out albums about nazi generals isn't cool.

Also, the Waffen-SS member in question was trained by the Waffen-SS because he was ordered to do so, he fought with the regular finnish army (and, eventually, with US special forces in Vietnam :mil101: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Sabaton (like most metal bands that already aren't literal neon-nazis or committed left wingers) have clearly decided that they would rather be rich then keep the neon-nazis out of their events and fanbase.

That Tartaria stuff is so crazy that I would absolutely applaud it as an art project, If I ever found realistic information that nobody believes it.