Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TraderStav posted:

Ahh, I don't know much about this genre of gaming culture but it makes sense that there would be different classifications of the speedruns.

How many dozen hours does the 100% "speed" run of this game clip in at??

The leader at this point according to Speedrun.com is 25 hours 36 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Ahh, I don't know much about this genre of gaming culture but it makes sense that there would be different classifications of the speedruns.

How many dozen hours does the 100% "speed" run of this game clip in at??

It's 25:46:36 which is... both insanely long and insanely short at the same time. The list of what you need for a 100% run is kinda :wtf:

quote:

100% Rules
• Because of the length of the run, runners are allowed 2 pauses during the run.
• Each pause cannot be longer than 9 hours each.
• These runs must be submitted with the "TA" filter.
• LiveSplit must be used, and you must include your splits file by using splits.io.

• DLC must be uninstalled.
• Runs must start from New Game.
• Timing starts when gaining control of Link.
• Goals below should be completed before ending the run.
• Timing ends when the last arrow makes contact with Dark Beast Ganon (first frame of the explosion animation).

100% Definition:
• All container upgrades
- All 120 Spirit Orbs from Shrines
- All heart containers from Divine Beasts
• Complete all Quests
- 15 Main Quests
- 42 Shrine quests
- 76 Side Quests
- Obtain all 18 memories
• 100.00% map percentage counter
- All 900 Koroks
- All Locations
- All Shrines
- All Towers
• All Key Items
- Shiekah Slate+ with all runes upgraded
- Paraglider
- All Champion abilities
- All Kilton medals (Kill all 40 Hinox, 40 Talus and 4 Molduga)
- All horse bridles and saddles
- Hestu's Gift (given after retrieving all 900 Koroks and fully expanding your inventory)
- Confidential Envelope (received after completing your Compendium)
• All Permanent Weapons
- Master Sword
• All Permanent Fully Upgraded Armor
- Champion's Tunic ☆☆☆☆
- Zora Helm ☆☆☆☆
- Zora Armor ☆☆☆☆
- Zora Greaves ☆☆☆☆
- Cap of the Wild ☆☆☆☆
- Tunic of the Wild ☆☆☆☆
- Trousers of the Wild ☆☆☆☆
- Thunder Helm

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

How anyone can stand Mipha's English VA is beyond me. I found her infinitely more grating than anyone else. I don't think it's the actress' fault so much as the bad voice direction all around.

I liked all the story quite a lot on my first playthrough, but I'm finding it mostly grating as I go through Master Mode. The story beats are all really good, I just find the execution lacking. Luckily, it doesn't distract from the experience. The story is just an excuse to goof off in a giant playground.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

MokBa posted:

How anyone can stand Mipha's English VA is beyond me. I found her infinitely more grating than anyone else. I don't think it's the actress' fault so much as the bad voice direction all around.

I liked all the story quite a lot on my first playthrough, but I'm finding it mostly grating as I go through Master Mode. The story beats are all really good, I just find the execution lacking. Luckily, it doesn't distract from the experience. The story is just an excuse to goof off in a giant playground.

Mipha's Grace is ready.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

I liked all the English voice acting in BOTW including Zelda. It wasn’t amazing but it was nice to see unique voices that aren’t in every other game.

The others were unique, but Zelda's fake-rear end Posh Brit thing is a staple of JRPGS, only done by good VAs.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MokBa posted:

They don't really understand the purpose of revealing backstory after the fact. You're told what happened, and then you gradually uncover the memories of what happened, and it's exactly what you were told with no twists or turns.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is loving art, my god.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gadzuko posted:

It's 25:46:36 which is... both insanely long and insanely short at the same time. The list of what you need for a 100% run is kinda :wtf:

That’s crazy. Do runners that go for this one do it in one sitting or are breaks allowed?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

I like how his last three splits are "ganon", "ganon", and "ganon".

Also the fact that the killing blow on the second Ganon was throwing the royal claymore into his face for the blue shard splash was baller as hell.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s crazy. Do runners that go for this one do it in one sitting or are breaks allowed?

The official 100% run category allows for up to 2 pauses of 9 hours each

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Feels like 100% run is basically Traveling Salesman Problem in video game form. Jesus.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

poemdexter posted:

Feels like 100% run is basically Traveling Salesman Problem in video game form. Jesus.

That's basically the point, and it's really cool because we have many years of improvements to come. Even saving 5 minutes is a big deal at that point.

How did he one shot that monster around 20:14?

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

How the gently caress is he launching himself off the Bokoblins? Also the stasis launches are pretty sweet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

EPICAC posted:

How the gently caress is he launching himself off the Bokoblins? Also the stasis launches are pretty sweet.

It’s a bug. There are loads of them like the avoiding the shrine animation by clipping through.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

EPICAC posted:

Physics gets all fucky in slomo. You can do a similar launch with cryonis blocks.

I’m impressed by how many long jumps he made with jump to shield surf. That would have been handy. I also wonder how many times he froze to death on the plateau.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Physics stay at their normal speed even during slowmo, but speed up accordingly when you some out of it. Basically the opposite of how it should work.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Colonel J posted:

How did he one shot that monster around 20:14?

It's just a sneakstrike, you can hear him pull out the weapon right before it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

poemdexter posted:

It's a pretty dumb category especially because while it sounds interesting on paper the execution is misery. Especially in a game with so much poo poo to collect you can only lower the time so much, who the hell is going to even watch a 25 hour run?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Heyo, back with more questions.

Namely: is there some place you’re expected to go to get fire-resistant gear before you try to enter the Goron homeland? I managed to get to the tower, but it seems like the only route to the main town is... through a place that kills me in no time flat.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

When I went the first time I flew in on fire on the hang glider and spoke to the Goron near the entrance, who freaked out that I was on fire and led me to the clothes shop. But there’s also someone at a nearby stable who will sell you a fireproof elixir. And if you make it up to the mine before Goron City, there’s another guy who’ll give you an article of clothing in exchange for collecting lizards (or you can use them to make your own elixirs).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Heyo, back with more questions.

Namely: is there some place you’re expected to go to get fire-resistant gear before you try to enter the Goron homeland? I managed to get to the tower, but it seems like the only route to the main town is... through a place that kills me in no time flat.

The stable nearest to the path up the mountain has someone sitting outside from whom you can get enough Fireproof Elixir to reach Goron City. The ingredients for the elixir are found throughout the Death Mountain area. Partway up the path there's a sidequest giver who will both teach you the recipe and give you a quest to gather the ingredients, the reward for which is a piece of fireproof equipment. The rest is for sale in Goron City.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

Partway up the path there's a sidequest giver who will both teach you the recipe and give you a quest to gather the ingredients, the reward for which is a piece of fireproof equipment. The rest is for sale in Goron City.
I didnt find that area until after all 4 beasts when I was building Tarry Town. First time I got duplicate armor

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol if you didn't just run screaming up Death Mountain while you were on fire and constantly eating apples and fish to not die.

edit: I had forgotten about this. It was pretty much exactly what I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-VX0wUwbjE

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 9, 2019

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Alright, managed to get the fire-proof clothes...

Aaand found out that even they don’t work in the Northern Mines area. :suicide:

How are you supposed to get through there, if not with those?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Check the bonuses the clothes give you on the menu screen. You need two layers of the fireproof buff in order to survive the areas nearest to the crater.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...The ancient gear stuff isn’t used for anything important outside of upgrading your powers, is it?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

...The ancient gear stuff isn’t used for anything important outside of upgrading your powers, is it?

Are you talking about stuff like Ancient Spring, Ancient Core, etc?

You'll meet someone where they come in pretty handy, and for a few other things.

Look for the Tech Lab in Akkala

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I know it must be ever so slightly faster but watching him dig around the sides of the shrine to clip into it rather than just opening the door is slightly painful.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Ive never heard of a 100% run having breaks, even the 30 hour ones ive seen they dont stop

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Regalingualius posted:

If you need cash just wandering around the mountain bashing ore outcrops should get you plenty of jewels.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nonviolent J posted:

Ive never heard of a 100% run having breaks, even the 30 hour ones ive seen they dont stop
The breaks are technically allowed in this case but at least the one guy who regularly runs this doesn't use them so it's just as well.

But yeah it is uncommon, usually the ruling for mega-long runs is that sure you can take a break but the timer isn't stopping for you.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I know it's like, the least important thing in that, but I'd never realised you could get off the plateau without activating the towers.

I'm going to have to start a new game just to go see what the sites are like before the towers rise. Especially the MOTHERFUCKING CHUNK OF SKULL one.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

I know it must be ever so slightly faster but watching him dig around the sides of the shrine to clip into it rather than just opening the door is slightly painful.
I don't think this is actually faster, but what is definitely faster is that you don't have to activate the towers and have the old man blab to you about it for 30 seconds.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

simmer down you nerds

just play Breath of the Wild yourselves because its a very good video game while the dumb neighbors waste their lifetimes to climb towers in assassin 9's creeds that also unlock 100 terrible new autogenerated quests instead of like,

fun?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What on earth are you talking about

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Amppelix posted:

What on earth are you talking about

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Bulgakov posted:

simmer down you nerds

just play Breath of the Wild yourselves because its a very good video game while the dumb neighbors waste their lifetimes to climb towers in assassin 9's creeds that also unlock 100 terrible new autogenerated quests instead of like,

fun?

This is actually a v chill and good thread, friendo.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I'm imagining the smell of someone doing a 30-hour no-breaks speedrun.

WHOOF.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Kaysette posted:

This is actually a v chill and good thread, friendo.

wrong, enemyo

this is where people log on to get anger about not beating a new bird man glide record for 20 rupees

a place folks log in to riot about a huge mess of terrain being full of thought and intent

Animal Crossing when???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

not soon enough, but man you should smoke some weed or something.