Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, I figured it would fill the 'grandma TV' niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Inane question but do we have a thread anywhere that deals with older displays (notably CRT TVs)? I'm trying to do some research on buying a Sony PVM.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

JebanyPedal posted:

Inane question but do we have a thread anywhere that deals with older displays (notably CRT TVs)? I'm trying to do some research on buying a Sony PVM.

Your best resource is probably the Retrogaming thread in Games

Beware, though, :retrogames: is the emote it is for a reason

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Open box "Excellent" conditionLG B8 from Best buy...

Would they be able to confirm no burn in issues before a sale?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Krime posted:

Burn-in on OLEDs is cumulative, meaning that even if you see no burn in on it right now, you have no idea if the tv is 50 hours away from having burn-in or 5000 hours. Buy any used OLED and you are spinning that wheel.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Krime posted:

If it's local you could ask them to open it up and display some test patterns.

Also there's a firesale on B8s right now, so unless it's <1000 for a 55 or <1500 for a 65 I wouldn't even consider buying used.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Finally pulled trigger on the Vizio P65F-1. It was between this and the TCL six series of the same size and the only reason I went with the vizio is because Costco doesn't have the six series yet and the warranty/return policy for Costco was too good to look elsewhere. Very beautiful picture once I got everything calibrated. Especially on the PS4 pro.

With that said, coming from an S model Panasonic Plasma, the motion handling for LED/lcd tvs is very jarring (read: garbage). Although I understand why Plasma eventually died, it just sucks that you basically have to either buy an OLED tv to get the same motion capabilities or use a whole bunch of motion interpolation crap which adds it's own set of issues especially for gaming.

Any recommendations for a cheap sound bar? I figure anything will sound better than the TV speakers :v:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Kithyen posted:

With that said, coming from an S model Panasonic Plasma, the motion handling for LED/lcd tvs is very jarring (read: garbage). Although I understand why Plasma eventually died, it just sucks that you basically have to either buy an OLED tv to get the same motion capabilities or use a whole bunch of motion interpolation crap which adds it's own set of issues especially for gaming.

Yeah, motion in LEDs can be very hit-or-miss. I was also coming from a Panasonic plasma before I got a new tv. It was one of the reasons I decided on the X900F, since their motion processing is one of the panel's big selling points.

qbert fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 6, 2019

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

American McGay posted:

If it's local you could ask them to open it up and display some test patterns.

Also there's a firesale on B8s right now, so unless it's <1000 for a 55 or <1500 for a 65 I wouldn't even consider buying used.

Ok.

Where are these 1500 ones?

The Walmart refurbs are sold out when I checked.

Edit: Maybe not 1500 but where are the deals at? :) Thanks

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The broken television sucks, but that move sounds equal parts exciting and terrifying.

Selling all my amazing electronics was more emotional than the idea of leaving Vancouver. Basically everyone who grows up in Vancouver leaves - it's so corrupt here we don't even have a reputation for being corrupt.

Dr.Donkeypunch
Sep 8, 2003

Ask me about ironing shirts.
Grimey Drawer

Kithyen posted:

Finally pulled trigger on the Vizio P65F-1. It was between this and the TCL six series of the same size and the only reason I went with the vizio is because Costco doesn't have the six series yet and the warranty/return policy for Costco was too good to look elsewhere. Very beautiful picture once I got everything calibrated. Especially on the PS4 pro.

Any recommendations for a cheap sound bar? I figure anything will sound better than the TV speakers :v:

I actually did the same exact thing today for the same exact reason. The P series was by far the best looking TV they sell besides the OLED LGs, and their warranty is amazing. Im excited to open the TV and try it out.

In terms of calibration, did you use an online guide, or just tweak and tinker with things until you were happy with the picture? Im a relative newbie to (nice) TVs so I want to make it look as good as possible.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
Basically just tinkered with the different settings until I was satisfied. I generally kept all the motion smoothing options off.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I was gonna get the 900F but the OLEDs came down into my budget and the power consumption was exactly half of the 900F with significantly better picture quality so it was a no brainer.

I basically cant watch my B8 OLED without some kind of smoothing on. the instant response time and low frame rates of most things makes anything not playing at 60fps look absolutely terrible, like playing a game at 20fps on a CRT, I guess?

it definitely took some getting used to but i wouldnt watch anything without smoothing on again pretty much. my girlfriend also hates smoothing because it looks too real, but she agrees no smoothing is much worse.

thankfully most games I play on my xbox are at 60fps so that wasnt an issue.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Laserface posted:

I was gonna get the 900F but the OLEDs came down into my budget and the power consumption was exactly half of the 900F with significantly better picture quality so it was a no brainer.

The difference between running a 125w and 250w appliance for 6 hours a day is ~$35/yr at average US residential power prices, for what it's worth. Not saying you didn't get the right TV, just that it might not make sense to weight this factor too much.

vvv my bad, added a unit for clarity vvv

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 7, 2019

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The difference between running a 125w and 250w appliance for 6 hours a day is ~$35 at average US residential power prices, for what it's worth. Not saying you didn't get the right TV, just that it might not make sense to weight this factor too much.

So what youre saying is that ROI going from a Panasonic plasma to a C8 is like 16 months?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The difference between running a 125w and 250w appliance for 6 hours a day is ~$35/yr at average US residential power prices, for what it's worth. Not saying you didn't get the right TV, just that it might not make sense to weight this factor too much.

vvv my bad, added a unit for clarity vvv

Welcome to Australia, where electricity is expensive, it's really hot, also really cold, and nobody built homes with insulation.

The federally mandated power consumption sticker that is on all major appliances tells me that based on 10hrs a day usage over a year, the Sony would use more electricity than my 250L fridge running 24/7 365.

On top of that the Sony pumped out more heat, which was something my old Sony ccfl lcd panel was guilty of doing, which made watching tv in summer a pain in the rear end.

I absolutely got the right tv.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Who watches TV 10 hours a day? :eyepop:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Who watches TV 10 hours a day? :eyepop:
What else is there to do in Australia?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

On a scale of 1-10 how reputable is Nebraska TV Mart?

It shows up in the Google shopping tab.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Krime posted:

On a scale of 1-10 how reputable is Nebraska TV Mart?

It shows up in the Google shopping tab.

Its a legit giant brick and mortar. The one in Omaha is a huge compound with departments in separate buildings, and the one in KC is like an entire two-story mall, but for one store.

Every piece of furniture in my house is from NFM.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 8, 2019

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Iirc Nebraska TV Mart is a gray market dealer playing off the nfm name.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Don Lapre posted:

Iirc Nebraska TV Mart is a gray market dealer playing off the nfm name.

Shiiit, my bad.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Kithyen posted:

Glad you motherfuckers are smartly buying the Costco warranty.

In a few years when that tv is obsolete and you want a 200 inch 12k display, the quality speakers you could buy now will still be quality, non obsolete speakers that you will continue to enjoy for many years. Remember, sound is an investment

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
BuyDig through Google Shopping has the 55" E8 for $1199 :stare: Just ordered mine

https://slickdeals.net/f/12789265-55-lg-oled55e8pua-4k-uhd-hdr-ai-smart-oled-hdtv-1199-free-shipping?src=frontpage

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

:stare: indeed. There's another thread where people are paying about $100 less than this for open box 55" QLED sets, which is hilarious to me.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

BeastOfExmoor posted:

:stare: indeed. There's another thread where people are paying about $100 less than this for open box 55" QLED sets, which is hilarious to me.

This wasn't an impulse buy for me - I just moved back to the US after working overseas, and was just waiting for the right price on a 55" C8. There weren't any good deals on OLEDs in the run-up to the Super Bowl (Walmart refurbs aside), so I just got really lucky

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

It's bonus season, and I have remained strong since buying the last generation of plasmas at 64" a long while back. The 77" C8 is the first TV that covers my entire feature checklist, so that is heading my way.

Problem is my wife wants a wall mount that will let her pull it out and angle it to the kitchen. Are the angling wall mounts like-

https://www.costco.com/MW-Mounts-42%22---90%22-Full-Motion-TV-Mount.product.100035597.html

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073QX1ZMS/ref=psdc_760796_t1_B001CKL9U2

intended for folk to reposition them on occasion? Or are they mainly adjustable so you can position them once and let them be? Since this is an ill-advised luxury item, I want to make sure whatever mount it sits on is actually designed for occasional fiddling. Any recommendations?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Turnquiet posted:

It's bonus season, and I have remained strong since buying the last generation of plasmas at 64" a long while back. The 77" C8 is the first TV that covers my entire feature checklist, so that is heading my way.

Problem is my wife wants a wall mount that will let her pull it out and angle it to the kitchen. Are the angling wall mounts like-

https://www.costco.com/MW-Mounts-42%22---90%22-Full-Motion-TV-Mount.product.100035597.html

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073QX1ZMS/ref=psdc_760796_t1_B001CKL9U2

intended for folk to reposition them on occasion? Or are they mainly adjustable so you can position them once and let them be? Since this is an ill-advised luxury item, I want to make sure whatever mount it sits on is actually designed for occasional fiddling. Any recommendations?

All the pull out mounts I've ever worked with are designed to move pretty freely and easily. My only concern in your scenario would be that OLED sets are really thin and I'm not sure how rigid they are or how able to cope with bending they are. IE, If you grab a 77" OLED by the corners and pull it out is there a chance it will damage the screen?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't have a 4k tv yet and I have a silly newb question about them for using with PCs.

If I want to plug my laptop (or desktop) into one or get a new laptop to plug into one would it be able to have a desktop at 4k resolution? Not sure these days if it just easily picks up the available resolutions it finds on the display on its own or if high speed HDMI cables are compatible or if I need to specifically look for a laptop can output in 4k. Thanks.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Kithyen posted:

:effort: hit the ? for my post history re: soundbar

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't have a 4k tv yet and I have a silly newb question about them for using with PCs.

If I want to plug my laptop (or desktop) into one or get a new laptop to plug into one would it be able to have a desktop at 4k resolution? Not sure these days if it just easily picks up the available resolutions it finds on the display on its own or if high speed HDMI cables are compatible or if I need to specifically look for a laptop can output in 4k. Thanks.

Oh man. The can of worms that is this simple question.

The short answer is yes, if you have the right laptop with the right port and the right cord going to the right port on the tv.

So, get yourself a laptop with an HDMI 2.0 (or Thunderbolt 3 (TB3)) port. If you opt for TB3 get yourself a dongle that outputs HDMI 2.0, or HDMI at 4K and 60hz. Plug in an HDMI 2.0 cable, which is identical to all other HDMI cables btw, and plug it into your tv. If that doesnt work, try a different port. If none of those work, try a different cord. If that doesnt work, try a new dongle. If you have an HDMI output on the computer, you just skip the dongle steps.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002

teh_Broseph posted:

:effort: hit the ? for my post history re: soundbar

Ended up going with the Vizio SB3621N-E8. For how cheap it was it sounds pretty awesome.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, it's something that on the face of it should be easy, but there are so many things that only support HDMI 1.4 out there that can get in the way of 4k60hz.

I have an XPS15 9550. It has a USB-C output and an HDMI output. The HDMI output is only HDMI 1.4 so there's no way I can get 4k60hz just using an HDMI cable.

However, if I get a USB-C to HDMI cable and that cable supports HDMI 2.0, THEN I can get 4k60 to the TV.

You should be able to get 4k30 no matter what. 4k60 is the spottier option right now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Oh you also have to worry about the oomph that your computer has. If its not powerful enough, it simply wont be able to drive two 4K displays (the laptop and the tv) and youll have issues.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kithyen posted:

I just caved on the TCL 6 series and very pleased, so much brighter and better looking than my old Samsung that was one of the last 3d models. I am not very picky though, so the $50 RCA soundbar I got from Wal-Mart way back when is still enough for me. I like that thing enough that I got another for the bedroom. I live in an apartment so thumping the bass isn't an option anyway and this bar doesn't sound tinny to me.

Only catch so far with the TCL is that the HDMI auto detection is bad so I had to force HDMI 2.0 in the settings before my Xbox would recognize the TV as having HDR and so forth. Drove me insane until I looked it up.

Also the Roku buttons annoy me a little bit but the voice control makes up for it. Works both for calling up channels and calling up the inputs by whichever name you picked. Also the Roku has a stupidly huge catalogue of what's shown on their channels so you can just mention pretty much any old TV show and it'll find it. And if it's not available on something you subscribe to you can "follow" for updates. I think that’s indispensable with how fragmented video streaming has become, makes me wish a bit that I had gone back to Roku earlier.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Guys! The Roku app lets me use Bluetooth headphones with my TCL tv, and somehow the lip sync actually looks right despite hopping through my phone!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

55" E8 $1,199

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just bought my first oled tv, a Sony 55" AF8 and it looks good and all but I'm getting some white blocks flickering randomly. The blocks are quite large (few inches across) and although there are a few different ones they always appear in the same place on the screen and don't seem the be affected by what's occurring on the screen.

So far I have only used a ps4 as input to the telly, first to play a game and then to stream video from the Amazon prime app on the ps4 so obviously the fault may be in the ps4, the a/v receiver it's routed through, or the cabling although this exact set up did not suffer any issues with my previous tv (a 2011 model 40" sony of some description). The hdmi cables are over 10 years old at this point so I figure I'd replace them anyway and hopefully it will sort out this issue. What make of cables are generally recommended? Must be available in the UK market. Thanks :cheers:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If you can get AmazonBasics cables from Amazon there, try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My 75" X900F last night was finally delivered. Good lord that took forever, and they were 10 hours late on the delivery window as well. At least they helped me get it out of the box and test it before I signed the slip.

Haven't played with it much other than the initial setup that took an eternity. I think it asked me to enable like 3-4 assistants that I'm guessing steal all my personal information to deliver ads personalized content. Took 3 tries to connect to my wifi for some reason, then the firmware update failed at 7% after 45 minutes. The Android TV interface is kinda meh, but I have an Apple TV that I'm going to use anyway.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 12, 2019