Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maybe try watching the scenes instead of relying on your spotty memory? Pretty much every scene is up on youtube in some format.

I watched the movie last week on DVD, can't really help having a bad memory. I realize I'm kind of all over the place, but this is me trying to develop a coherent reading

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dana pushes the carriage past a bunch of really angry people immediately after wheeling it through the slime. Also the carriage definitely wasn't trying to commit suicide, it was actively dodging all those cars. The only reason that Dana catches up to it was that it it stopped to avoid getting hit by a bus.

Good point; this also made me remember that the carriage stopped right over the manhole cover, which leads to the slime river, which leads to Vigo. So Ruddiger was right about the main point being that it wants to bring the baby closer to Vigo, as in every other haunting.

But it's still important that the baby was dragged towards Vigo in response to the anger in New York. On Venkman's TV show, one of the guests described an "alien abduction" that was actually about her getting drugged at a bar and led to a hotel room. The paranormal maps to the normal. So at this point I'm inclined to read the imminent incarnation of Vigo as paranormal expression of the sentiment "all this anger in New York is gonna turn my baby evil/disturbed". Which then ties into how the first Ghostbusting job involves Ray and Winston trying to make kids happy

mmmmalo fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Also, towards the earlier point of the Ray getting possessed because he's like a kid (or he's in tune with his "inner-child" or whatever): I rewatched a clip of the birthday party just now and he walks out wearing one of the little party hats. It's very cute. Winston takes the hat off Ray and reminds him of all of the destruction and legal trouble that resulted from their work, and Ray just kind of sighs wistfully with nostalgia. Ray wants to play! That's why they include the line of him calling their equipment 'toys' later

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mmmmalo posted:

Also, towards the earlier point of the Ray getting possessed because he's like a kid (or he's in tune with his "inner-child" or whatever): I rewatched a clip of the birthday party just now and he walks out wearing one of the little party hats. It's very cute. Winston takes the hat off Ray and reminds him of all of the destruction and legal trouble that resulted from their work, and Ray just kind of sighs wistfully with nostalgia. Ray wants to play! That's why they include the line of him calling their equipment 'toys' later

Ray's always been a childish weak-minded chump, that's how they ended up with Stay Puft in the first film. (Also they ended up with the firehouse because Ray loved sliding down the pole, they hosed up the Library Ghost investigation because Ray's plan was "Grab her!", etc etc..)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mmmmalo posted:

On Venkman's TV show, one of the guests described an "alien abduction" that was actually about her getting drugged at a bar and led to a hotel room.

Also note that the guests on Venkman's shoddy TV Psychics show who he keeps insulting were actually genuinely psychic, just like that guy with the huge jewfro in the first film who he kept giving electrical shocks. The guy who said that the world was going to end on NYE was correctly predicting Vigo's return and the woman who predicted the end of the world on Feb 14 2016 seemed to be a flake at the time but it turns out that she was sensing the extreme dread and anguish that sent psychic shockwaves 27 years into the past when this was published to youtube on that date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zen753JD5kI

:v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Venkman having the skillset to distinguish kooks and the mentally ill from people who've had genuine encounters with the paranormal is probably something the Ghostbusters couldn't function without.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Venkman having the skillset to distinguish kooks and the mentally ill from people who've had genuine encounters with the paranormal is probably something the Ghostbusters couldn't function without.

This is actually a good point. Venkman is a huckster but real knowns real and that's kind of a main theme in the movie. He does a lot of quipping when he encounters Zuul-possessed Dana, but he still recognizes that what is happening is legit and over his head. But he's still a dick, so he tends to indulge himself less when it comes to less immediate threats like the psychic study.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Without Venkman they're busting mass sea sponge migrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Without Venkman they're busting mass sea sponge migrations.

It moved about a foot and a half. :rolleyes:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The next crossover we need: Spongebob Squarepants

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The next crossover we need: Spongebob Squarepants

The theme songs are already pretty similar tbh: "Who...? Title!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/RealEOC/status/1092523316978565120

https://twitter.com/violetisadora/status/1092535742490910726

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 5, 2019

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I love that pic and still miss Ramis. What a talented, wonderful man

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

never really noticed the pee tube on the suit before

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

never really noticed the pee tube on the suit before
It's for terror induced incontinence according to the compendium that came out a few years ago.

lol

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Read this story on screenrant today...

“Nobody’s offered me a job, but the reason I wanted to reach out to Jason, I remember him as a little kid on the set of Ghostbusters. The fact that he’s stepping into that, I think the fans have been wanting for it so no matter what happens, I know it’s going to be a great movie. I really respect him as a filmmaker. Obviously, I’d love to be a part of it but that hasn’t so far presented itself. I know that the movie will be good.”
-Ernie Hudson

I'm gonna be so bummed, and so pissed if Winston isn't back.

*The character worked with the old team: Winston was a great 'everyman' to play off of the others.
*The character could work with a new team: He'd be the perfect 'sage' to introduce new unbelievers to the supernatural. He didn't believe at first either.
* Nostalgia: People want to see the team back together.
*Cost: Hudson just isn't going to command the salary that Murray or Aykroyd are. You get more bang for your buck with him.
*Politics: Winston's black. The last movie became a cultural battleground because assholes didn't want to let girls into the clubhouse. How's it gonna look if the only person of color is left out of this one? It'd look lovely. Because it would be lovely.

Just loving hire the guy.

I'm seriously thinking of boycotting if Winston isn't in it.

Somebody do one of those hashtag things. The kids love them. #GiveUsWinston #MoreZeddemore

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 9, 2019

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Winston was always the one I identified with most as a kid, not because he was black, but because he was a regular dude.

I really hope they don't. Leave him out.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I feel bad for ol Ernie. Like the dudes a legit good actor who should be getting actual roles and not just popping up on Twitter or whatever everytime a new GB thing comes along begging for cameo scraps.

It's really sad seeing pictures of him at cons at an empty ghostbuster booth. I guess Morgan Freeman finally reached his "sure I'll play a magician or whatever who the gently caress cares" phase and is more affordable now?

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Holy gently caress this is endearing. :unsmith:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

banned from Starbucks posted:

I feel bad for ol Ernie. Like the dudes a legit good actor who should be getting actual roles and not just popping up on Twitter or whatever everytime a new GB thing comes along begging for cameo scraps.

It's really sad seeing pictures of him at cons at an empty ghostbuster booth. I guess Morgan Freeman finally reached his "sure I'll play a magician or whatever who the gently caress cares" phase and is more affordable now?

He was really getting into the role of cantankerous police chief on APB before it got cancelled because I was the sole viewer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Valentine’s Day. Bummer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

deoju posted:

Just loving hire the guy.

I'm seriously thinking of boycotting if Winston isn't in it.

Somebody do one of those hashtag things. The kids love them. #GiveUsWinston #MoreZeddemore

:same:

I know it's fan-fictiony, but it's perfect for a passing the torch type movie to have the old ghostbusters drinking around a farmhouse table with the new crew telling old bustin' stories, and getting wistful over Egon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I wonder how they'll approach Egon. Hopefully it's more 'fell into an interdimensional portal one day, hasn't come back yet' rather than out-right dead. :unsmith:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder how they'll approach Egon. Hopefully it's more 'fell into an interdimensional portal one day, hasn't come back yet' rather than out-right dead. :unsmith:

cgi glowing green harold ramis uncanny valley ghost or bust

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm curious how the Ramis family feels about future Egon appearances(even if it were animation with a new actor's voice). It's easy for me to sit here and assume, as a life-long Ghostbusters fan, that they'd consider it to be a heart-warming compliment or a way to keep Harold's memory alive and continue his legacy, but the family may not necessarily feel that way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminded of how the comics had Egon disappear (they called up the cartoon Egon to fill in for him, long story) and one of them mentions that if Egon died the first thing he'd do is come back as a ghost to examine himself.

Oddly enough the fanart of Egon and Slimer walking into the light together was actually kinda sweetly spot on. Does strike me as someone to whom death is just the next great discovery.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

I'm curious how the Ramis family feels about future Egon appearances(even if it were animation with a new actor's voice). It's easy for me to sit here and assume, as a life-long Ghostbusters fan, that they'd consider it to be a heart-warming compliment or a way to keep Harold's memory alive and continue his legacy, but the family may not necessarily feel that way.

It'd also depend on how the appearance was handled. The tech's not quite there using the Peter Cushing example in Rogue One if they handled it as him alive, but as a ghost, maybe.

And having finally had a chance to catch a free stream of the Ghostbusters remake, I only managed to get as far as a little past Kevin's hiring before going to watch something else. It felt like it still needed editing because it came across draggy to me. The opening at the mansion could've easily been halved to convey the same points. I felt the improv heavy approach came across more like the sort of 'You had to be there' type funny, than crafted comedy. The bit with the dean flipping them off wasn't humorous at all, but then for how long I was around academia I kept thinking this would be a lawsuit to the degree lawyers within a 10 mile radius would be getting excitable.

I think I want to see a fan edit of the remake more than I did for the Star Wars prequel trilogy to see if it improves things.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I think the way that improv style comedy works just doesn't jive with a well paced movie that's trying to also have a plot worth paying attention to. I remember I was kinda getting bored with the movie, and I was like "ok well let me just check how much time is left on this thing, I'm sure it's only about 30-40 minutes." Turned out that I was barely halfway through and still had an entire hour left. That movie draaaaaged real bad.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think the way that improv style comedy works just doesn't jive with a well paced movie that's trying to also have a plot worth paying attention to.

It kinda reminds me of how people were surprised that Jordan Peele who's known for comedy was able to pull off a good horror film. Comedy's more than 'be funny on camera' and call it good there. It needs pacing and structure and that seemed lacking with the remake. Case in point, the bit about the docent making GBS threads himself went on too long to where I was thinking 'enough already'.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

In case you haven’t seen the day’s big news:

https://twitter.com/newsarama/status/1096442395904880640

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Looks like a total shellformer, but pretty neat.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/schemaly/status/1098317145774133254

https://twitter.com/JasonReitman/status/1098416898541215744

Gonna be really bummed if this movie causes a political/cultural poo poo storm before the cameras even start rolling like the last one.

Edit: Reading that article quoted in the first tweet gives me hope that they are approaching some things the right way though.

deoju fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 21, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

deoju posted:

Gonna be really bummed if this movie causes a political/cultural poo poo storm before the cameras even start rolling like the last one.

Edit: Reading that article quoted in the first tweet gives me hope that they are approaching some things the right way though.

Considering how the shitstorm blew with the remake, I figured it was going to be a given the moment they mentioned there was going to be a new one that was different from the remake. I can only imagine how much further it'll explode if this new one does well compared to the remake.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Trying to use progressivism as a marketing gimmick damages both. There's nothing else to be learned from the remake, it's best forgotten.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I really wish the 2016 movie had been good. :smith:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
First thing I hear about a new Ghostbusters movie and I'm already sick of it. If this is the price we have to pay for new movies I wish the franchise didn't come back in the first place.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mulderman posted:

First thing I hear about a new Ghostbusters movie and I'm already sick of it. If this is the price we have to pay for new movies I wish the franchise didn't come back in the first place.

one of the cool things about the culture wars is that all franchises are ruined now and we can begin again in its ashes

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really wish the 2016 movie had been good. :smith:

I enjoyed it. Then again, my expectations were different, because I couldn't stand Wiig or McCarthy until GB '16. It was the first performances of theirs that I actually liked.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I didn't like GB2016. But I was thinking about it the other day and I realized I haven't really liked any comedies in more than a decade now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ehud posted:

I didn't like GB2016. But I was thinking about it the other day and I realized I haven't really liked any comedies in more than a decade now.

I felt like this, too, about how most if not all comedies just don't work for me.

Then I remembered laughing out loud at Jason Bateman's 'Bad Words'. That's been the sole exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly the most I've laughed at any comedy in the past several years was the Jumanji sequel. That really caught me off-guard.