Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Upstate NY wants to secede from New York

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

EugeneJ posted:

I'm in favor

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

EugeneJ posted:

Wouldn't this be economic suicide, destroying state tax revenue?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
yes

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Sumbitches posted:

The populous areas like Buffalo/Rochester/Albany are all blue, but I wonder if the chuds could make a go of it

https://www.politico.com/election-results/2018/new-york/governor/

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah basically it would become Northeast Dakota if there was a... Nyexit? It's pretty common, downstate Illinois has a similar resentment/disgust thing about Chicago, even Coloradoans have it to a lesser extent about Denver. They think all their hard earned money gets wasted by big city depravity and corruption, that's where all the liberals are etc.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if upstate were its own state, it would be the one most drastically affected by the collapse of the rust belt by far. GE, IBM, Kodak, and Dick's Sporting Goods, among others, all used to be headquarters in various cities up there and left nothing but depression and addiction behind

that being said, Nycession would officially make the subsidies for spread-out upstate suburbs not my problem, so go the gently caress ahead. it's not gonna happen but it'd be fun to think about

not to say that NYC and surrounding areas aren't free of bigoted shitheads. ruben diaz sr. believes that City Council is "controlled by the homosexual community"

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 17:25 on Feb 9, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Conservatives cutting their nose to spite their face? It's more common than you think!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it seems like Monday is the official start of the NYHA blitz. Richard Gottfried is appearing on the Brian Lehrer show that morning, presumably to talk about it. he and Gustavo Rivera will be holding a press conference that afternoon about reintroducing it. it's been labeled as not a priority for the leadership of both chambers but both of them seem hellbent on passing it, and there are a lot of people in both chambers, especially many new senators, who support it. so we'll see

there is also talk by Brad Hoylman of reintroducing the pied-a-tere tax, instigated by some rich shithead buying a penthouse for $27 million

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

it seems like Monday is the official start of the NYHA blitz. Richard Gottfried is appearing on the Brian Lehrer show that morning, presumably to talk about it. he and Gustavo Rivera will be holding a press conference that afternoon about reintroducing it. it's been labeled as not a priority for the leadership of both chambers but both of them seem hellbent on passing it, and there are a lot of people in both chambers, especially many new senators, who support it. so we'll see

there is also talk by Brad Hoylman of reintroducing the pied-a-tere tax, instigated by some rich shithead buying a penthouse for $27 million

Is the latter on unoccupied residences?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

if upstate were its own state, it would be the one most drastically affected by the collapse of the rust belt by far. GE, IBM, Kodak, and Dick's Sporting Goods, among others, all used to be headquarters in various cities up there and left nothing but depression and addiction behind

that being said, Nycession would officially make the subsidies for spread-out upstate suburbs not my problem, so go the gently caress ahead. it's not gonna happen but it'd be fun to think about

NYC please take most of the Hudson Valley, we promise to be nicer to you when you come to spend your money here on vacation

You need vacation homes and places to look at trees right? Gotcha covered, dont leave us to the chuds

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
The problem with upstate seceding is that they'll immediately turn around and frack the living poo poo out of the entire watershed that feeds the city.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol good point

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Also large swathes of the City and Long Island are going to be under water in a few decades, and where are all these people going to move?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is the latter on unoccupied residences?
it's for people who buy condos and apartments for millions of dollars as a second residence that they only go to for a month or two out of the year. so yeah, more or less

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

*$238 million.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/JimmyVanBramer/status/1094382918825324544

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
nyc must conquer and hold a reservoir in the event of upstate seceding, whatever the cost

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

nyc must conquer and hold a reservoir in the event of upstate seceding, whatever the cost

They couldn't defend it since they would be too terrified to leave their glorious paradise of a city.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Might as well invest in desalination plants.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it would be smart to force coownership of the watershed or whatever as a condition for secession

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
JVB was eight when Harvey Milk was elected. Ruben Diaz is garbage who shouldn't be dogcatcher, but I think a little side eye at JVB is appropriate

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What you should really worry about is what the conditions will be on the federal level. Remember, only Congress can authorize the splitting of a state.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

JVB was eight when Harvey Milk was elected. Ruben Diaz is garbage who shouldn't be dogcatcher, but I think a little side eye at JVB is appropriate

lol yeah it was easy to be a gay kid in 1978, this guy can gently caress off

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I absolutely didn't say it was easy to be a gay kid, I just think "I had NEVER heard of an out gay person in power" is a little overstated

I am a JVB constituent and queer btw

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Anne Whateley posted:

He was also 8 when Harvey Milk was shot. I think you’re reaching.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

etalian posted:

They couldn't defend it since they would be too terrified to leave their glorious paradise of a city.

You might be surprised at NYC residents' ability to match or often surpass upstaters' hatred of being in NYC.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

stop splitting hairs, the point is that ruben diaz sr. is a homophobic piece of poo poo and always has been. he's probably not gonna resign but it would be hilarious if he did, because the only reason he left the senate was for the pay bump being in city council would give him

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

The Ashokan Reservoir, at least, is completely fenced off with aggressive "NYC DEP OWNS THIS DO NOT EVEN PEE IN HERE" signs, and is two hours upstate, so it's definitely crossed their minds.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
why is that dipshit wearing a cowboy hat?

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Isn't the upstate secession thing brought up every couple years by some incredibly stupid dumbass? It's such a horrible idea and upstate is hemorrhaging population with all the chuds moving to chud states, so who would even support it

Also didn't Trump tell upstate nyers to leave ny (again) this week, lol

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Glambags posted:

Isn't the upstate secession thing brought up every couple years by some incredibly stupid dumbass? It's such a horrible idea and upstate is hemorrhaging population with all the chuds moving to chud states, so who would even support it

Also didn't Trump tell upstate nyers to leave ny (again) this week, lol

Long Island has wanted to secede for a while too. not really sure how that would work but :lol:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Matt Zerella posted:

Long Island has wanted to secede for a while too. not really sure how that would work but :lol:

NYC owns a bunch of reservoirs in Long Island as well, I think. I don't think they've thought this through.

Also, apparently there's going to be a big meeting about marijuana legalization hosted by the Empire Center for Public Policy. My (now former) Assemblymember seems to be really caught up with unintended consequences and being careful about this. She was also very concerned with MMA legalization a few years ago, and insisted on a lot of healthcare-related provisions in case fighters got hurt.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

NYC owns a bunch of reservoirs in Long Island as well, I think. I don't think they've thought this through.

Also, apparently there's going to be a big meeting about marijuana legalization hosted by the Empire Center for Public Policy. My (now former) Assemblymember seems to be really caught up with unintended consequences and being careful about this. She was also very concerned with MMA legalization a few years ago, and insisted on a lot of healthcare-related provisions in case fighters got hurt.

NYC does not get any of its water from Long Island - it all comes from the reservoir network upstate.

Long Island struggles to meet its own water needs through its groundwater supplies. It certainly isn’t capable of letting the city siphon some.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i'm pretty much the only one of my friend group growing up that's actually left the upstate new york area for any significant period of time (i've since returned) and they are pretty much all on the "upstate should split because NYC drains our taxes" bandwagon. this came up in a convo last week, and when i explained that we actually massively benefit from taxes, they're response was:

1) we pay way more in taxes than we get back and anything that says otherwise is fake news
2) the high taxes are a big reason why it's hard to get businesses to come/remain in WNY

the first point is completely loving stupid, but while there's some merit to the second, i pointed out that lowering taxes won't accomplish anything. it all falls on deaf ears of course, but it's hilarious to see people get flustered when someone outside of the echo chamber tells them how loving dumb they are.

really the only thing upstate could do right now in order to up revenue and "create jobs" is to completely rape the environment and allow unchecked fracking and mining, and loving lol if anyone thinks that's going to have any sort of positive impact on the state as a whole.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

whatis posted:

really the only thing upstate could do right now in order to up revenue and "create jobs" is to completely rape the environment and allow unchecked fracking and mining, and loving lol if anyone thinks that's going to have any sort of positive impact on the state as a whole.

I mean, brass tacks, this is really what upstate secession is and has always been about, with a side dose of “stop queermo from taking our guns and making us not discriminate against people,” to help rally popular support.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
absolutely, it's just insane that more people can't see how transparent it is. it's just crazy to me that people are excited by the idea of turning into west virginia

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I've lived "upstate" my entire life, have never left, and I think I love NYC more than people who live there. (Maybe because I dont live there) The answer to any people who think NYC doesnt support us is long, derisive laughter until they leave or the most horrified face you can make.
My 80 year old mother says it happened her whole life and will never end so might as well get some humor out of it!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

NYC does not get any of its water from Long Island - it all comes from the reservoir network upstate.

Long Island struggles to meet its own water needs through its groundwater supplies. It certainly isn’t capable of letting the city siphon some.

I could swear I read recently that they had some Long Island property reserved for that purpose back in the '20s or '30s, but I might be misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

freckle posted:

why is that dipshit wearing a cowboy hat?
ruben diaz sr. wears them a lot. combine that with his evangelical christianity, his extreme pro-life stances, and his bigotry against the LGBT community, he wouldn't be out of place in a texas suburb

Absurd Alhazred posted:

i went to a nearby assemblymember's monthly meeting about marijuana legalization and she gave the floor to somebody who works at the Drug Policy Alliance. the gist of her argument was that any legalization effort needs to directly help out people who have been prosecuted for it in the past, which is to say black and hispanic people. cuomo's budget measure doesn't do that well enough and the assembly is trying to make sure it does

if the differences aren't hashed out well enough, i can see it not being legalized this year, just like what happened in New Jersey last year. i still think it's gonna happen but it's not open-and-shut