Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, was told by a friend they were the best. I have a warden at 50 or whatever the cap was before Morrowind. I'll give Warden a go just to play something different.

Plus I like pet classes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

valuum posted:

Just noticed that eso+ is very nicely discounted on steam, 3 months being half price and 6 months even less. Does it work with the regular non-steam game? I'm definitely not reinstalling the entire thing, half price or not.

I havent really found an answer to this except an unanswered question on the forums; "Ive bought the ESO Plus for my account via steam". The guy got the ESO plus benefits right away, but didnt receive the crowns within 24 hours. There's no follow-up from the op either, probably suggesting that he got them eventually?

Then again there's also this

ZOS_BillE posted:

If you purchased ESO Plus from Steam, you will need to either renew your membership through Steam, or wait until it expires and then purchase it again from the ESO website.

You are unable to purchase an ESO Plus membership from the official ESO wesbite while a Steam-purchased ESO Plus membership is active.

and this:

ZOS_BillE posted:

If your version of The Elder Scrolls Online was not purchased through Steam, you will not be able to purchase ESO Plus through Steam.

My game was bought on steam originally and it's in my library, but I stopped going through steam.

e: okay there's actually a FAQ answering this on the official site, way down in the search results:

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36566/ posted:

Why can’t I see the Crown Packs or ESO Plus membership that I just purchased on Steam?
Updated 09/21/2017 04:30 PM

If you purchased Crown Packs or ESO Plus membership on Steam, but cannot see them in game, you should ensure that you have linked your Steam and ESO accounts and that you have logged in using the Steam client.

If you have not linked your Steam account to your ESO account, you can find instructions on how to do so here.

Soooo I'm going to check whether my accounts are linked, and if they are I'll give it a go. GL me. "..and that you have logged in using the Steam client" - me no read goode.

valuum fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 8, 2019

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The OP seems pretty out of date. What addons are essential nowadays?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

be a DK healer anyways

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Newbie check in for those interested in such things. I sidelined my orc I was asking about as an old DAOC RvR buddy is coming in and we're debating duoing orc frontliners, dominion sneakers or something else entirely while he checks out all the races and gets his bearings. In the meantime I have a dunmer sorc tearing up stonefalls. Not even halfway through and I'm almost level 20, after a brief side trip to unlock the first morrowind dailies for event tickets. I'm really enjoying the music, atmosphere, and most of the quests I've done so far.

If a guild sends an invite to your @accountname, does that sign up all the chars on your account like friend invites do? Or do you accept individually?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Guild and friend invites are accountwide

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Ahh I see, and you can join a couple. I'd like an invite on @tether20 please if it works while offline, I won't be on until later tonight.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just bought the steam collection with the gold version of the game, morrowind and summerset. I had the non-steam version a while ago, but ended up quitting at like level 20, and I don't really remember anything about what I was going for at the time (Argonian Nightblade, but I but points all over the place and was mostly using destruction staff? I dunno). But everything linked up easily with steam and my old account and that's good.

I don't really have any idea what I'm doing, but I kind of just wanted more Skyrim, and it seems to be delivering on that for me. I'm ignoring the fact that it's an MMO at all and just questing around with my bear on my new Khajit Warden.

How easy is it to respec if I want to switch weapons or skills or attribute points? I know race choice is a big thing that matters forever, but can I just follow one of the in game guides while I'm leveling and then figure out a more "end game" thing if / when I get up to max level? I'd rather not screw myself, but I haven't found a great source of builds online that seem current and I have no clue about the current "meta" of what is good. I might try to salvage my nightblade because he's a cool lizard if I can figure out how to respec things.

*Edit* - Also if someone would guild invite me I got purged in my years of inactivity. I'm @DoublePlusRad

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

They should be giving out free race change scrolls soon because they are adjusting all the racial abilities on the test servers. (edit: and you can buy race changes for $20 or $30 or whatever). So keep that in mind. I think class is the only thing you are locked into forever. I haven't found the respec vendor yet but I heard they charge a scaling rate based on how many points you've spent. I read they did change it so you can +/- skills at your discretion after paying, rather than just refunding all your points and starting you at nothing to redo your build from scratch. I'm curious if the stat respec is tied in, or how expensive it is, in case you want to flip from stamina to magicka for a change when you get bored.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Is the magplar build linked in the OP still viable? Or should I even worry about viability while i'm leveling anyway?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Cutedge posted:

Is the magplar build linked in the OP still viable? Or should I even worry about viability while i'm leveling anyway?

All that stuff is outdated, worry about builds and stuff once you're max level. Pick an attribute (magicka or stamina) and focus on that, take skills that scale off your chosen attribute.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Should all points go into either magic or stamina? Or do you need a mix?

sensitivepigeon
Dec 4, 2016

I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT IT, OK?
decided to give this game a second try, last played at release for a bit. could i get an invite? i'm @Draziwrok

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RCarr posted:

Should all points go into either magic or stamina? Or do you need a mix?
Pick one, the way stat scaling works is weird and if you don't focus on one you cripple your character.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

egyptian rat race posted:

I would also like to know this

quote:

This content requires the base game The Elder Scrolls® Online on Steam in order to play.

No

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pick one, the way stat scaling works is weird and if you don't focus on one you cripple your character.

So if you want to tank, do you need to drop points in health or can you just concentrate on one of the other stats?

FAU doesn't have to answer this, btw, just his comment raised the question.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Starshark posted:

So if you want to tank, do you need to drop points in health or can you just concentrate on one of the other stats?

FAU doesn't have to answer this, btw, just his comment raised the question.

tanks usually put about 20 in health and the rest in stamina (sometimes around 10 in magicka as well, depending on class) but if you're not planning to do super-pro endgame stuff, you can just ignore health altogether and never be worse for it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
20 in health doesn't sound like the end of the world considering I don't usually vet dungeons unless I want something. Thanks.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

My tank has all 64 points into magicka and I've done everything short of Cloudrest hard-mode and Assembly General Hard Mode so ymmv :shrug:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

So is that steam sale over? The discounts I see are a lot less than someone mentioned earlier

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I haven't played in like 7-8 months, any good reads on what's changed since then?

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

bagrada posted:

They should be giving out free race change scrolls soon because they are adjusting all the racial abilities on the test servers. (edit: and you can buy race changes for $20 or $30 or whatever). So keep that in mind. I think class is the only thing you are locked into forever. I haven't found the respec vendor yet but I heard they charge a scaling rate based on how many points you've spent. I read they did change it so you can +/- skills at your discretion after paying, rather than just refunding all your points and starting you at nothing to redo your build from scratch. I'm curious if the stat respec is tied in, or how expensive it is, in case you want to flip from stamina to magicka for a change when you get bored.

It's 50 gold per skill or attribute point. The skills charge is the full amount no matter how many skill points you change or refund.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Snowy posted:

So is that steam sale over? The discounts I see are a lot less than someone mentioned earlier

Still seeing the deals here, 43:16:19 left and counting. Actually in the process of installing the drat steam version now because 58% off is pretty great.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

valuum posted:

Still seeing the deals here, 43:16:19 left and counting. Actually in the process of installing the drat steam version now because 58% off is pretty great.

Ok I’m clearly failing at this

Could someone link the sale price for me please?

sensitivepigeon
Dec 4, 2016

Is summerset worth the money?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Snowy posted:

If it helps, I’m seeing the same as you are.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If it helps, I’m seeing the same as you are.
Might be region dependent? Because on my store it's showing -8%, -17%, -20%.

sensitivepigeon posted:

Is summerset worth the money?
Without sale, yes. On sale, absolutely yes. It's a decently sized zone (much better than morrowind). Quests are better. The zone itself is very beautiful. Some chapter tied additions to the game which are fun and interesting.

JadaX fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 10, 2019

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Snowy posted:

Dang, that's a huge difference. Here's what it looks like for me:

1 USD is about 8-9 kr these days. This might be the first time I've seen a game cheaper here, unintentional regional pricing fuckup? Note the similar cut for the 12 month sub. Downloaded the steam version yesterday and cashed in on it, so yay I guess!

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

JadaX posted:

Without sale, yes. On sale, absolutely yes. It's a decently sized zone (much better than morrowind). Quests are better. The zone itself is very beautiful. Some chapter tied additions to the game which are fun and interesting.

Except the part about being full of high elves, and not..you know...being in Vvardenfell.

sensitivepigeon
Dec 4, 2016

Thank you. I grabbed Summerset for myself and my friend.

Any tips for having consistent fun with the game? If we get burnt out on quests, are dungeons worth the EXP?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

valuum posted:

Dang, that's a huge difference. Here's what it looks like for me:

1 USD is about 8-9 kr these days. This might be the first time I've seen a game cheaper here, unintentional regional pricing fuckup? Note the similar cut for the 12 month sub. Downloaded the steam version yesterday and cashed in on it, so yay I guess!

Thanks, and gently caress. I was going to go for the six month because I’m otherwise about to unsub, just haven’t been playing enough to justify it.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Question for anyone who knows how it works on Steam: my current sub expires in March. If I select to sub now at the sale price, will it stay even after the sale ends?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

sensitivepigeon posted:

Any tips for having consistent fun with the game? If we get burnt out on quests, are dungeons worth the EXP?

Daily random normals, sure. After that, ehh. There's also world boss teams and dolmen runs to join in on, but honestly the game is like 85% quests. To really shake things up, you'd probably want to grab Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood for the stealth-focused stuff. Otherwise, you can always elect to hop over to a different zone, ideally a DLC one or Craglorn to reduce continuity issues if that bothers you.

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

Mr Newsman posted:

I haven't played in like 7-8 months, any good reads on what's changed since then?

Necromancer class is coming soon..

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
What exactly are "assaults" mentioned in the Scales of Pitiless Justice passive?

It reduces heat from murder and assaults, but you cannot "assault" anyone, just Blade of Woe them (which i assume counts as a murder)

When i asked in the ESO discord i only got snide remarks like "Read the description", which literally only is "Bounty and Heat resulting from a witnessed Murder or Assault is reduced by 20%"

I cannot imagine they mean the "assault" PVP line, as that has nothing to do with this topic.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Ineptitude posted:

What exactly are "assaults" mentioned in the Scales of Pitiless Justice passive?

It reduces heat from murder and assaults, but you cannot "assault" anyone, just Blade of Woe them (which i assume counts as a murder)

When i asked in the ESO discord i only got snide remarks like "Read the description", which literally only is "Bounty and Heat resulting from a witnessed Murder or Assault is reduced by 20%"

I cannot imagine they mean the "assault" PVP line, as that has nothing to do with this topic.

You can attack NPCs if you turn off the “prevent attacking innocents” option (I think that’s what the option is called, anyway). Can get you into trouble, but very satisfying at times.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Assault just means any attack, if that's what you're wondering. When you have prevent attacking innocents off, random unintended attacks are quite frequent (I said unintended), and will incur a tiny bounty + the guards' ire.

Blade of woe is a free kill if no npcs see you do it, attacking+killing an npc will give a bounty no matter if they are the only person within miles.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

valuum posted:

Assault just means any attack, if that's what you're wondering. When you have prevent attacking innocents off, random unintended attacks are quite frequent (I said unintended), and will incur a tiny bounty + the guards' ire.

Blade of woe is a free kill if no npcs see you do it, attacking+killing an npc will give a bounty no matter if they are the only person within miles.

If I have a problem with the game since my return to it, it seems like I get bounties constantly for tresspassing / stealing things even if no one sees me or I kill all the witnesses. About half the time I go into the city they take my stolen things away and charge me 30 gold.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Substandard posted:

If I have a problem with the game since my return to it, it seems like I get bounties constantly for tresspassing / stealing things even if no one sees me or I kill all the witnesses. About half the time I go into the city they take my stolen things away and charge me 30 gold.

Are you stealthed/crouched when this is happening? Sometimes when you have to "use" something your character auto-moves like 3 inches and gets detected, that's pretty annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Does killing witnesses do anything in this game? I remember that being a thing in Skyrim but I didn't think ESO's bounty system was that complex.