Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Death Panel Czar posted:

I'm not really big on the idea of buying a pedal for an EQ function and not having a knob for it. Like it looks cool but just on face doesn't agree with me.

That and pricewise- I used to have one of those MXR 10 bands, so if I'm gonna spend $100 on a cleanup tool I'll probably go that route. Reason the generic boosters seemed appealing is being able to grab an SD-1 for $50 or an East River for $65.

Gotcha. I was just saying that since the Arrows is everything I wanted out of a TS boost, perfectly tuned for everything guitar I’ve run through it from a B standard SG to a E standard Strat. It’s one of those pedals that feels like magic. Everything is cleaned up, tightened with the high end tweaked just right.

I tried to get away from having it in my chain but as soon as I put it back in I knew it was sticking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Gotcha. I was just saying that since the Arrows is everything I wanted out of a TS boost, perfectly tuned for everything guitar I’ve run through it from a B standard SG to a E standard Strat. It’s one of those pedals that feels like magic. Everything is cleaned up, tightened with the high end tweaked just right.

I tried to get away from having it in my chain but as soon as I put it back in I knew it was sticking around.

Just out of curiosity: have you ever tried a ZVex SHO?

That goes for anyone who cares to comment... the SHO is, to me, my hands down favorite boost of all time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Just out of curiosity: have you ever tried a ZVex SHO?

That goes for anyone who cares to comment... the SHO is, to me, my hands down favorite boost of all time.

Nope, I haven’t, though I might have to sometime! I wish I didn’t feel the need to have an always on boost permanently in my chain but it’s something that I’ve stuck with for a while now. I usually run them at unity too. Volume stays the same if slightly pushed.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nope, I haven’t, though I might have to sometime! I wish I didn’t feel the need to have an always on boost permanently in my chain but it’s something that I’ve stuck with for a while now. I usually run them at unity too. Volume stays the same if slightly pushed.

Actually you're not "wrong."

A boost is doing two things, the first is obvious and the second is not so obvious:

1) boost the signal... duh*.

2) add harmonics. Even "clean" boosts are going to cause some form of clipping which creates harmonics. Good boosts add the pleasing harmonics we enjoy. The SHO** is the best boost I've ever heard at adding these harmonics.

What I reckon is you are running it a bit above unity to get some color and that speaks to my second point above.

*which is intended, mainly, to cause clipping to your amp's preamp, in addition to perceived volume increase.

**Incidentally the SHO is copied from something called the Jack Ormon MOSFET Boost. As has always been the case since Fender till now, someone took a circuit that someone published for free and turned it into a product without adding a lick of value beyond a cool hand-painted enclosure. Good on Zach Vex for marketing Jack's boost. Someone had to.

http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYzo_I67tuY

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 28, 2019

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
since we're talking about boosts I'll go ahead and plug the moog mf boost which is what i use

there is a toggle switch for two forms of boost/compression (vca and ota), the tone control is actually a 6db low pass filter, and if you use an expression pedal in the cv input it will double as a volume pedal

they were recently discontinued but you can find them cheep on closeouts or used on reverb

im actually considering picking up a spare since it's my only "this pedal will always be on and never leave my board" pedal

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

A boost is doing two things, the first is obvious and the second is not so obvious:

2) add harmonics. Even "clean" boosts are going to cause some form of clipping which creates harmonics. Good boosts add the pleasing harmonics we enjoy. The SHO** is the best boost I've ever heard at adding these harmonics.

What I reckon is you are running it a bit above unity to get some color and that speaks to my second point above.

*which is intended, mainly, to cause clipping to your amp's preamp, in addition to perceived volume increase.

**Incidentally the SHO is copied from something called the Jack Ormon MOSFET Boost. As has always been the case since Fender till now, someone took a circuit that someone published for free and turned it into a product without adding a lick of value beyond a cool hand-painted enclosure. Good on Zach Vex for marketing Jack's boost. Someone had to.

drat dude :hfive: for the info!

So I’m guessing the color/harmonics are why I love it so much on my clean tone even though the sound isn’t broken up at all. Interesting. I generally knew that already but it’s nice to think about it in that way.

Now I’ll have to track down a SHO someday.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Death Panel Czar posted:

I'm not really big on the idea of buying a pedal for an EQ function and not having a knob for it. Like it looks cool but just on face doesn't agree with me.

That and pricewise- I used to have one of those MXR 10 bands, so if I'm gonna spend $100 on a cleanup tool I'll probably go that route. Reason the generic boosters seemed appealing is being able to grab an SD-1 for $50 or an East River for $65.

basically the only difference between the sd-1 and ts is that the sd-1 clips asymmetrically and the ts clips symmetrically, which won’t really matter for your purposes

either one is fine, as is the joyo vintage od. you can also get a dod 250-style overdrive and run it the same way for a more sludgy, less mid heavy tone, or you can do what i do and scoop up a t rex crunchy frog from guitar center’s used section for like 50 bucks and then you have two stages of boost

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Do any other companies make a verson of the MOSFET boost? I'd like to try a SHO but I don't like the form factor of Zvex pedals.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Juaguocio posted:

Do any other companies make a verson of the MOSFET boost? I'd like to try a SHO but I don't like the form factor of Zvex pedals.

Yep. Earthquaker does: https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/black-eye/

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

As Dang It Bhabhi! said, EQD, but it's a pretty simple circuit that is easy to replicate. I was introduced through the Palmetto Overdrive made by Blackeye Effects, but when it broke, I got a handmade clone for cheap off reverb and it sounds just as good. SHOs have become a go-to for me and seem to just always sound good, not matter the set-up.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea this is how big it is. Lol

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

so are my options for harmonizers basically eventide or bust or has anyone put out something cool (and hopefully polyphonic)

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I don't think Eventide have ever done any polyphonic harmonizers. EHX seem to have the best polyphonic pitch-tracking IP but they have only done pitchshifters and synth sounds so far

Some of TCs older stuff has licensed harmonizer code and works about as well as the older Eventides

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yea this is how big it is. Lol

Holy poo poo that’s tiny. Might have to put one in a 1550a.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I think somebody on these very forums has built one that mounts directly on a guitar knob.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Since we’re talking boosts I have to give a plug to the Durham Sex Drive. Great on its own, but really does magical things to any dirt pedal you put before it in the chain. Google around, not many people find themselves unimpressed with it.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Just scored a Malekko B:assmaster, been wanting one for years. Should arrive in a day or so

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

still waiting for this red panda tensor i preordered

Thermos H Christ posted:

Since we’re talking boosts I have to give a plug to the Durham Sex Drive. Great on its own, but really does magical things to any dirt pedal you put before it in the chain. Google around, not many people find themselves unimpressed with it.

andy from pro guitar shop talks it up all the time

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wampler talks about how the DSD inspired him to make pedals in some video.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Great for bass too. Here's the most straightforward video demo, straight from the source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKdGRlZ3UK0

I haven't found a video where someone demos what it does to dirt that comes before it but again, google around and you'll find quite a few people talking about that being where it really shines. Also the built-in compressor is good enough that the Ovnilab guy lists it among his favorites.

It's so subtle compared to most stompboxes but it just makes poo poo sound awesome.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Thermos H Christ posted:

Great for bass too. Here's the most straightforward video demo, straight from the source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKdGRlZ3UK0

I haven't found a video where someone demos what it does to dirt that comes before it but again, google around and you'll find quite a few people talking about that being where it really shines. Also the built-in compressor is good enough that the Ovnilab guy lists it among his favorites.

It's so subtle compared to most stompboxes but it just makes poo poo sound awesome.

most guys just need a subtle eq/compressor/buffer and just don't realize it

durham also makes the crazy horse which is one of my favorite pedals

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
So I have a weird problem:

I bought a reactive loadbox and it got here yesterday. Tested it really quick without any pedals (just guitar -> amp -> load box -> mixer) and it worked fine.

Today, I went to hook up my pedalboard and, after doing so, the output of the load box would give this godawful tea-kettle high pitched squeal. Doesn't sound anything like feedback or 60 cycle hum.

After experimenting, I've discovered that as long as I don't run any before-the-amp pedals off the same power supply as the fx loop/speaker sim pedals, there is no squeal. As soon as I connect a pedal out front, regardless of the type of pedal or whether it's on, godawful squeal destroys my ears.

I'm thinking this might be grounding issue. I have a cheap rear end Donner pedal power supply and though it says it's isolated, googling seems to indicate it's not. Would an isolated PSU fix my problem, or should I get a power conditioner or a ground loop isolator or something else? Cheaper is better.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dear thread, talk to me about delay pedals with 2s of delay time or more + no menu diving. I’ve been really interested in the Strymon Volante even though I’ve never been all that into Strymon for some reason.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gnumonic posted:

So I have a weird problem:

I bought a reactive loadbox and it got here yesterday. Tested it really quick without any pedals (just guitar -> amp -> load box -> mixer) and it worked fine.

Today, I went to hook up my pedalboard and, after doing so, the output of the load box would give this godawful tea-kettle high pitched squeal. Doesn't sound anything like feedback or 60 cycle hum.

After experimenting, I've discovered that as long as I don't run any before-the-amp pedals off the same power supply as the fx loop/speaker sim pedals, there is no squeal. As soon as I connect a pedal out front, regardless of the type of pedal or whether it's on, godawful squeal destroys my ears.

I'm thinking this might be grounding issue. I have a cheap rear end Donner pedal power supply and though it says it's isolated, googling seems to indicate it's not. Would an isolated PSU fix my problem, or should I get a power conditioner or a ground loop isolator or something else? Cheaper is better.

Same power supply? Have you tried not doing that?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Alright, I have a power question for the thread. I was diagnosing a pedal that seemed to have power issues, and decided to try out some other known-working pedals with my power supplies and got some troubling results.

Tested pedals: Boss TR-2, Boss SD-1, Xotic SP Compressor, DOD Carcosa, DOD Rubberneck (not working)
Tested power supplies: Joyo Power Supply 2, 1Spot (no daisy chaining, just plugged directly in), Boss single pedal power supply

When plugged into the Joyo power supply or on a 9V battery, all work normally (except the Rubberneck, which looks like it's getting very little power - all lights are very dim, and it doesn't power on). When plugged into the 1Spot or the Boss power supply, the LEDs on all of the other pedals flash at about 90BPM, and no guitar signal goes through them. When plugged into an amp, I hear some noise when the LED flashes on. I've tried plugging them in in multiple rooms, with and without surge protectors, and get the same results.

Has anyone else experienced this? I can't find much information online about flashing LEDs in guitar pedals. I haven't used the 1Spot or Boss supplies in the last couple of months, but they were working fine before then. Anything else that I haven't thought of to try?

Edit: I figured the cheapest and easiest way to test this was to just buy a new 1Spot and return it if it didn't make a difference. Turns out the new one works fine, so there's just something wrong with the old one. I've probably had it at least 10 years, so I'm okay with replacing it. And it even makes my Rubberneck work again, which the Joyo power supply won't do consistently for some reason. Hooray!

The Leck fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 10, 2019

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Just scored a Malekko B:assmaster, been wanting one for years. Should arrive in a day or so

Right on, I've never even seen one for sale. Silicon or germanium?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Dear thread, talk to me about delay pedals with 2s of delay time or more + no menu diving. I’ve been really interested in the Strymon Volante even though I’ve never been all that into Strymon for some reason.

The Volante looks so dang nice. As much as I love my El Capistan, I feel like it needs either fewer functions, or easier access to them. Volante seems like a Super El Capistan, and more besides.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

Juaguocio posted:

Right on, I've never even seen one for sale. Silicon or germanium?

Silicon - I’ve never seen the germanium ones anywhere. eBay has a few of the silicon ones up, at least they did a week ago.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Maestro Brassmasters have always been silicon.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Maestro Brassmasters have always been silicon.

https://malekkoheavyindustry.com/product/b-assmaster-g/

There’s the germanium one - pricy though

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I mean... most of the time when people talk about germanium transistors or diodes in a circuit that wasn't designed around their unique properties all you're saying is "this will be darker sounding."

A Fuzz Face or a Tone Bender on the other hand were designed with leakage in mind so there's actually a noticeable difference in harmonics beyond a low-pass roll-off effect. I say all this to suggest that you're probably not missing out on anything that a tone control on the silicon one can't dial in perfectly.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I mean... most of the time when people talk about germanium transistors or diodes in a circuit that wasn't designed around their unique properties all you're saying is "this will be darker sounding."

A Fuzz Face or a Tone Bender on the other hand were designed with leakage in mind so there's actually a noticeable difference in harmonics beyond a low-pass roll-off effect. I say all this to suggest that you're probably not missing out on anything that a tone control on the silicon one can't dial in perfectly.

Yeah, the silicone one seems to accomplish my needs just fine

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pedal business is hard and making a germanium version of a drive pedal is literally the easiest way to extract $$$ from an existing product. You just say the word "germanium" and it conjures up images and ideas about the early days of effects when some wizard in a lab mixed up some magic that makes each pedal sound unique. It lends an air of "credibility" and "authenticity" to something that really doesn't matter in most cases, ironically. Those Ge diodes in a Klon? Bullshit. Doesn't matter. One Ge diode is pretty much as good as the next in that circuit. Clipping diodes themselves are vastly overrated (still a good flavoring tool but overrated) in what they impart to signal clipping and the supposed harmonics that is supposed to generate. This is all my opinion of course and I've begun to ramble. Tootles.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I just wish those B:Assmasters came in a smaller form factor. There aren't too many other Brassmaster style pedals out there, and I love that tone on bass.

Hiero Effects BEAD fuzz is supposed to be similar, but you have to order direct from the builder in Russia.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Juaguocio posted:

The Volante looks so dang nice. As much as I love my El Capistan, I feel like it needs either fewer functions, or easier access to them. Volante seems like a Super El Capistan, and more besides.

I’m trying really hard to see any cons but I’m coming up empty. It seems to be a very well designed and thought out delay. I’ve always steered towards “older” delay sounds. The Carbon Copy is my favorite. My only issue is that staying in the BBD delay realm keeps me around low delay times and I really want to start working with stuff reaching that 4 second time in the Volante. It really is a great combination of old and new.

I’m mostly between that and the Meris Polymoon but the Polymoon has features I’m less interested in on the modulation end and doesn’t get close to the 4s of time.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Don't get me wrong, the El Capistan is still a fantastic delay. The controls take a bit of getting used to, but once you figure out how to set it for your needs it sounds GREAT.

I imagine some El Cap users will ditch in favor of Volante, so you might be able to snag a used one for a good price in the near future.

I'd like to compare my El Cap to the Empress Tape Delay. That one seems to have just the right amount of features and controls for me.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Juaguocio posted:

Don't get me wrong, the El Capistan is still a fantastic delay. The controls take a bit of getting used to, but once you figure out how to set it for your needs it sounds GREAT.

I imagine some El Cap users will ditch in favor of Volante, so you might be able to snag a used one for a good price in the near future.

pshh strymon users never mark their poo poo down more than 15% retail and people are still willing to pay it

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m trying really hard to see any cons but I’m coming up empty. It seems to be a very well designed and thought out delay. I’ve always steered towards “older” delay sounds. The Carbon Copy is my favorite. My only issue is that staying in the BBD delay realm keeps me around low delay times and I really want to start working with stuff reaching that 4 second time in the Volante. It really is a great combination of old and new.

I’m mostly between that and the Meris Polymoon but the Polymoon has features I’m less interested in on the modulation end and doesn’t get close to the 4s of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBEPnDuZft8

Want

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Daaaaamn

I’m not going to win this GAS battle

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Where do you put your noise gate in your signal chain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Wherever you have noise you want to kill. If you have noisy pickups putting it at the start can head off noise before it gets amplified or maybe after a dirt if that’s noisy. Put it Before ambient effects though or it will cut off your tails.