Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I still take the whiskey bottle for pre round drunk taunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I prefer the bomber for demoman primary TBH but all of his stuff is to taste.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Thanks all, definitely knew I missed a few

Grapplejack posted:

I prefer the bomber for demoman primary TBH but all of his stuff is to taste.

I think I've used the Iron Bomber for all of 5 minutes when it was first released, and I typically don't see many Demo's running it... how do you use it differently compared against the standard grenade launcher?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Really? The Iron bomber actually seems more popular than the stock launcher in my experience.
I just run the Loose Cannon though, since it's more fun.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Otacon posted:

I think I've used the Iron Bomber for all of 5 minutes when it was first released, and I typically don't see many Demo's running it... how do you use it differently compared against the standard grenade launcher?

Most top players that main demo use it because the grenades don’t roll so near misses deal consistent damage. Psychology it feels better to shoot for me because the grenades are spherical.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I use sticky jumper and iron bomber.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Jippa posted:

I use sticky jumper and iron bomber.

Holy poo poo I completely overlooked the jumpers :corsair:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Otacon posted:

Holy poo poo I completely overlooked the jumpers :corsair:

It's actually a really fun play style. I used to be all about the stickies but just jumping around and piping people is actually loads more fun.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Golden pan does more damage

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
golden pan does direct psyche damage

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
homewrecker is a mainstay on my pyro loadout. nothing is better than repeatedly smacking sappers off of a teleporter while the spy on the other end is getting super frustrated.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I run a pretty consistent pyro loadout: backburner, scorch shot, powerjack. Backburner for flanking and getting those sweet sweet chain kills when you manage to completely wipe out a push by taking out a med and their pocket, the spy and whoever else right as they're getting ready to push in. The scorch shot is fun for long range harassment, keeping people on fire, checking around corners with the splash, mobility with the jumping, tagging people as they run away to get health, it's just a ton of fun. Powerjack is really just for getting to the front slightly faster, sometimes I switch it out for the neon annihilator if there's a good amount of water on the map.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Jippa posted:

I still take the whiskey bottle for pre round drunk taunting.

It's "me bottle of scrumpy" thank you very much. Made of apples, not distilled, and has a musical genre named after it.

I've got strong opinions on cider alright.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Captainsalami posted:

I literally just installed it for the first time. Got any tips to get more than the base items? I'm kinda interested in pyro and sniper
Also post your Steam here to get some gifts and groups.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Captainsalami posted:

I literally just installed it for the first time. Got any tips to get more than the base items? I'm kinda interested in pyro and sniper

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197994915320/

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
That work?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Just play the game. Sniper specifically doesn't have an upgrade until you are really good at sniper, then you can trade for the situational "upgrade" for a scrap. Pyro will always only be as good as you are as a player, and still not that great, regardless of the weapons you use. As far as the pyro's other weapons, if you see one you want, you can almost certainly trade it for a scrap.

The Pyro is only as good as you are with their secondary. You can do one thing really well, but you shouldn't be doing it all the time. That being said, the stock shotgun owns.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I play sticky jumper / loch demo on upward offence, use two stickies to go past the enemy defence and 2 more to get to the spawn room to blow up teleporters, then go back to pop the turrets and dispensers before letting the engies run after me crying as I harass people spawning and walking to the front lines, KA-BEWM.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Demo already basically has two primaries, stock is perfectly fine with him, with most of the alternatives being either situational or a totally different playstyle. (Demoknight) Does give you some room to experiment; the Sticky Jumper you can indeed do some silly poo poo with, and potentially very powerful when you know how to get around a map.

I think some of the only really 'necessary' secondary weapons are;

-The Wrangler for the Engineer is considered all-round really good, even if it takes some getting used to it's an excellent option to have in your toolbox compared to the pistol being pretty situational in comparison if you have a stock shotgun.
-Any melee weapon for the Pyro is pretty much an upgrade, given the Pyro's got little use for it unless it has something else to offer the class whose primary is best at close range.
-Any melee weapon for the Medic for a similar reason, since several are basically flat upgrades, namely the Hippocratic Oath and the Ubersaw.
-The Crusader's Crossbow for the Medic for similar reasons to Wrangler but even moreso; the Medic's primaries are all pretty meh compared to the utility it offers for ranged healing as well as ranged damage. Take a bit of practice though.

Some might argue that you're also better off with one of the healing items for the Heavy rather than the shotgun depending on your loadout. Banana is pretty good for topping yourself off and throwing at people.

It's probably not a bad idea to pace yourself and get used to weapons as you acquire them, otherwise it's easy to forget about them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Although I love the crossbow, I think people really underestimate the syringe gun, and that it is a perfect weapon for starting out with.

Edit: Also, I've come to love the Short Circuit in pubs, mostly because it really messes with most Demo and Soldier pubstompers. :v:
Give me a strange Short Circuit, Valve

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 11, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Worth mentioning at the same time there's only a couple truly bad weapons, and most of those are due to having been overly nerfed because they used to be really good, the main examples of those would be;

Baby Face's Blaster: used to be one of the best Scattergun variants in the game because it boosts your already impressive speed up even higher, but they ruined it back in 2015 by making it so you'd lose that extra speed upon taking any damage, so now it's basically a complete liability to use

Ullapool Caber: used to be one of the best melee weapons in the game for the Demoman, especially if he isn't using a Demo-Knight loadout, as it would insta-kill many classes in one hit, unfortunately they heavily reduced how much damage it dealt in 2015, making it a complete joke of a weapon these days

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The axetinguisher also got pretty profoundly nerfed, and the small buffs they've tried giving it since haven't really made up for it, especially since a big part of the nerf was changing the degreaser and how melee weapons draw.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am still sad about the change to the axetinguisher. Pyro is already a pretty tough class to be good at because most others do everything it can do far better, but the one small skill ability of puff and sting being nerfed hard seemed so weird.

I can still do it but it does not make as much sense than if I simply concentrate my flamethrower or backburner on them instead.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

this is TF2, there are only 4 classes that are allowed to be any good and pyro isn't one of them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Meh, Pyro is more than good enough for pubs.

Also, Highlander is much more fun to watch than 6s. :colbert:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I was a highlander pyro :D

I run australium flamethrower, detonator and maul. Nothing I love more than running up to a sentry/dispenser and knocking off those sappers.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I thought I read somewhere about someone testing out some sort of 7s format, which apparently allowed for greater variation in team comp while still maintaining most of the tempo and skill ceiling of 6s. Anyone know what that was about?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Talking of pyros.

I didn't know this guy but yeah....

https://kotaku.com/team-fortress-2-youtuber-returns-three-years-after-faki-1832441637

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Valve even mentioned him in the pyro update patch notes lmfao.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, that really bothered me. I used to watch a ton of silly pyro compilation videos on Youtube and Sketchek was one of them. Kinda crazy that he did such a thing.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I thought I read somewhere about someone testing out some sort of 7s format, which apparently allowed for greater variation in team comp while still maintaining most of the tempo and skill ceiling of 6s. Anyone know what that was about?

Prolander. I dont know the details but i think it was class limits set to 1.

Yeah they put his name in the axetinguisher. Cool lmao

crabf
May 29, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

The long and short of it is that it only got attention because the guy who founded the format, Sigafoo, also dumped $4k into a prize pot every season. It turns out when you remove mobile, high-damage-output classes and replace them with gimmicky turtle classes the game becomes a lot less fun. The only reason why anyone would think the tempo matches 6s was because the format was played on koth/payload maps which basically forces aggression rather than 5cp which is only as fast as the better team can make it.

It got instantly dominated by b4nny and friends, which sigafoo responded to by forcefully disbanding them as a team and not allowing them to play with eachother. Sig himself showed up in that linked thread and melted down and all the high level players pretty much instantly dropped the game mode.

sigafoo posted:

I, like many others, have been waiting for “other people to just get better,” but it hasn’t happened. Not when you have one team win 14 of the last 16 seasons of ESEA. Not when they haven’t lost a single ESEA or RGL match two years straight. While we can wait for the situation to change, it does not look like it will on its own.

crabf fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 13, 2019

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When are we going to see competitive twelvelander? I want to see demoknights, combat engies, medieval only medics, fat scouts, trolldiers, uberchain meds, friendly heavies, revolver spies, pyrosharks. I want to live.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Baron von Eevl posted:

When are we going to see competitive twelvelander? I want to see demoknights, combat engies, medieval only medics, fat scouts, trolldiers, uberchain meds, friendly heavies, revolver spies, pyrosharks. I want to live.

I had actually done some brainstorming for a 12's format, it would basically be Highlander, but after you fill the first 9 slots with one of each class the remaining 3 slots can be filled up with any combination of additional Scout, Soldier, or Pyro

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's not bad, but I could see an additional pyro being troublesome. I still prefer the idea of 3 pre-selected gimmick subclasses.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Otacon posted:

The balls don't bounce so you know exactly where they're going to land even if you miss, and you can work that together with stickies to funnel people to death traps really well.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I've been trying to play some of my least played classes a bit more. Recently I've been focusing on heavy, which is ok, but it can get boring at times. Using the buffalo steak sandvich with the fists of steel is a pretty enjoyable gimmick though. A lot of people don't think to pull out a melee, and the FoS resistance mitigates the minicrits decently.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Galaxander posted:

I've been trying to play some of my least played classes a bit more. Recently I've been focusing on heavy, which is ok, but it can get boring at times. Using the buffalo steak sandvich with the fists of steel is a pretty enjoyable gimmick though. A lot of people don't think to pull out a melee, and the FoS resistance mitigates the minicrits decently.

Playing stealth Heavy with the Tomislav/Shotgun/FoRU can be pretty fun as well depending on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Having never claimed to be smart, I've been scammed out of all of my items and somewhere along the line Valve stopped doing the return policy for them too. I'm mostly just surprised though because it's not like I had unusuals or austrailium items.