Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's worse than that; if Doug dies, the rules of succession clearly state that we're getting Randy Ford.

Ahem. Michael Ford

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

infernal machines posted:

Ahem. Michael Ford

So far he's a benchwarmer and doesn't any of the bluster and bravado of his uncles.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Thread title owns.

RBC posted:

the average person just won't support workers when they are mildly inconvenienced because we live in a culture of institutionalized stupidity and selfishness

It can be different with teachers though. If a parent has to stay home to look after a kid, that could easily put the parent’s job in jeopardy. That’s neither stupid nor selfish on the part of the parent.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

pokeyman posted:

Thread title owns.

It can be different with teachers though. If a parent has to stay home to look after a kid, that could easily put the parent’s job in jeopardy. That’s neither stupid nor selfish on the part of the parent.

yeah lets get into this edge scenario where 1. the parent can't find care and 2. the parents employer is completely unwilling to provide them with any time off or they're fired

or, let's not

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't think being unable to find or afford childcare on short notice, and having an unsympathetic boss, are really "edge cases" but, sure, whatever.

It's still wrong to be mad at the teachers for it, but I can certainly understand how it may be a difficult situation for many parents.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

I don't think being unable to find or afford childcare on short notice, and having an unsympathetic boss, are really "edge cases" but, sure, whatever.

It's still wrong to be mad at the teachers for it, but I can certainly understand how it may be a difficult situation for many parents.

So who takes care of these kids when they stay home from school for being sick or weather cancelations. I guess the parents gonna get fired!

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

But no, the "short notice" of a teachers strike through months of news coverage is gonna really mess them up!

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Most management at low paying employers, especially with precarious hours or schedules like food service or cleaning or maintenance would absolutely gently caress with , threaten or fire employees that had to take off multiple days short notice to take care of their kids.

Also how do you think they would be able to afford or find child care during the strike ?

It’s a huge deal for poor families with school age kids.

I’m guessing you don’t have kids eh ?

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

The LA teachers solved this problem in an innovative way which is that they encouraged parents to arrange alternate childcare but if they couldn’t afford to, the teachers would take care of the kids if they were wearing a red shirt to show solidarity with their efforts. There! The parents are on board with the strike and you have a visible sign of parent support who can’t afford to be there physically.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ARACHTION posted:

The LA teachers solved this problem in an innovative way which is that they encouraged parents to arrange alternate childcare but if they couldn’t afford to, the teachers would take care of the kids if they were wearing a red shirt to show solidarity with their efforts. There! The parents are on board with the strike and you have a visible sign of parent support who can’t afford to be there physically.

Brilliant, a poverty Star of David. "Solidarity" my rear end.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 9, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

RBC posted:

So who takes care of these kids when they stay home from school for being sick or weather cancelations. I guess the parents gonna get fired!

Hey, excellent question! Did you know that many parents send their children to school when they're ill for exactly this reason? And indeed many people go to work when ill for a similar reason? And that large school districts that are able to purposefully remain open on inadvisably cold days precisely because parents might not have other options for childcare?

And people say I'm out of touch...

James Baud posted:

What exactly is wrong with you?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have a solution for all of this mess.

Ban children.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A posted:

What exactly is wrong with you?

Very limited free time so most of what gets posted instead of abandoned halfway through is pithy snark.

But seriously, counting duress as honest support is some mental gymnastry.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

James Baud posted:

But seriously, counting duress as honest support is some mental gymnastry.

I can see your point there, but that different from calling it a "poverty Star of David."

Granted, on the other hand, saying "I'll do unpaid work in exchange for you expressing solidarity with our strike" is not particularly unreasonable. After all, in any strike there are likely some portion of strikers who think the strike is stupid, but they put up with it because solidarity and maintaining the strength of the union is more important than a personal disagreement with the reasoning for the strike. Support needn't mean agreement.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's worse than that; if Doug dies, the rules of succession clearly state that we're getting Randy Ford.

Frig off Randy!

(There's another Ford?!)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well, it's settled then, people with important jobs should never go on strike. The obvious solution is then to never have an important job.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
If the government doesn't want to allow teachers to strike (see: back to work legislation) then they should have the balls to make them an essential service.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

eXXon posted:

Well, it's settled then, people with important jobs should never go on strike. The obvious solution is then to never have an important job.

galaxy brain: contract labourers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Billion dollar idea: TaskRabbit, but for educators.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

"Huh, the app says this guy teaches... biology and physical education. What could go wrong?"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe if it's an important job, it should be paid as such in the first place.

Alberta farmers are already complaining because on March 1, new professional drivers will have mandatory driver training, and they're saying that will negatively affect their business because they can't take a bunch of high school grads or fast food workers, teach them how to cheese the test, and abuse the gently caress out of them for a season before they quit and never come back.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

Maybe if it's an important job, it should be paid as such in the first place.

Alberta farmers are already complaining because on March 1, new professional drivers will have mandatory driver training, and they're saying that will negatively affect their business because they can't take a bunch of high school grads or fast food workers, teach them how to cheese the test, and abuse the gently caress out of them for a season before they quit and never come back.

I thought Albertan Farmers' inability to maim their own children was going to put them out of business years ago, are you telling me having to follow basic workplace health and safety standards didn't kill the industry?

But surely, this particular case where they suddenly have to abide by the same rules as any other business, this will finally kill the family farm.

PT6A posted:

"Huh, the app says this guy teaches... biology and physical education. What could go wrong?"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

This isn't specific to farms this time -- all semi-drivers and bus drivers will require more training from this point on, due to the fallout from Hockey Bus.

Here are the new requirements they're bitching about:

40.50 hours Classroom instruction
15.50 hours of in-yards instruction
57.00 hours of In-cab training
- Actual drive – 39.00 hours
- Off-road maneuvers – 18.00 hours

Total training hours – 113.00

Doesn't seem like that's very much. Like, you should be able to knock that out in a month pretty easily.

What I find interesting is that there's no call for a graduated system for class 1/2 licenses. Even just forcing new drivers to have their logbooks scrutinized more often could've prevented the Humboldt thing, since apparently the driver was up to his rear end in violations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

James Baud posted:

You once described somebody who set up shop in an occupied foreign city where they ran recruitmetn drives for the Nazis and lived in a murdered Jewish person's apartment as "making the best of bad circumstances". But yeah, you keep clutching those pearls.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

"Climate change is no big deal, we just have to get used to indefinitely machine gunning boats of refugees" says man who is genuinely concerned for the poor.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

"Climate change is no big deal, we just have to get used to indefinitely machine gunning boats of refugees" says man who is genuinely concerned for the poor.

That's why the red shirt leaps out as such a strategic error, did they never see NDP favorite Star Trek's original series?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

James Bad

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I thought Albertan Farmers' inability to maim their own children was going to put them out of business years ago, are you telling me having to follow basic workplace health and safety standards didn't kill the industry?

But surely, this particular case where they suddenly have to abide by the same rules as any other business, this will finally kill the family farm.

That was family farms who could let their kids drive trucks anyways.

This new regulation is killing the big commercials farms now.

Companies in general seem to be angry about their new drivers needing to be trained how to drive so they don't kill people out on the road because there is a driver shortage, but last time i checked, most of the big boys were still paying $0.46 CAD per mile with the expectation that you fill out your legal hours, which is 70 hours over 7 days or 120 hours over 14 days. Which means to even make the equivalent of $20/hour with the overtime you should have received factored in in the 70 hour cycle, They would need to drive 3608 miles, or 5806km a week, or average 83km an hour over their entire week.

PT6A posted:

What I find interesting is that there's no call for a graduated system for class 1/2 licenses. Even just forcing new drivers to have their logbooks scrutinized more often could've prevented the Humboldt thing, since apparently the driver was up to his rear end in violations.

Or scrutinized at all, really.

In the years i drove, nobody else ever saw my log books.

A lot is probably going to change when ELDs are mandatory because their software can spot discrepancies instead of needing to go page by page trying to interpret chicken scratch, but nothing is really going to change safety wise until drivers are paid well enough to stay at the job to get some experience. A non-stop revolving door of green drivers combined with the old drivers retiring is only going to make things worse. Tightening hours of service, and increasing enforcement, and mandating in-class training is all targeting the drivers, when the company or the industry has been the problem the whole time. They're just squeezing drivers harder between the legal regulations and company expectations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

PT6A posted:

Any parent who voted for anything other than the ONDP in the last election and bitches about a teacher strike, and how much it's hurting them... Well, I have no sympathy for them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Helsing posted:

"making the best of bad circumstances"

That is certainly one perspective on being a Nazi collaborator.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eXXon posted:

No one is saying teachers shouldn’t be able to strike, but it is ridiculous to expect poor families to not be pissed off and also put further into debt by any significant teacher strike.

It’s not the same as a service people don’t see going on strike, for most poor families day school is equivalent to childcare with a value of 500 a week depending on how many kids you have. Or much higher in the gta

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

James Baud posted:

Or you as a teacher’s union, you could cultivate a good relationship with the parent community, communicate effectively that they understand the need for child care, provide that service free of charge with the added visual message that the physical representation of their children also on the picket line means that more parents than you think rely on schools to meet daily child care needs.

I heard interviews of parents who has sent their kids in red shirts actually be proud that they had in some way taken part in the strike, while not being alienated by the need of child care not being met.

You can keep pretending to fight for offended parents through.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

That is certainly one perspective on being a Nazi collaborator.

Heisenberg was a Nazi collaborator, so you fundamentally can't be certain they're all bad.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

Heisenberg was a Nazi collaborator, so you fundamentally can't be certain they're all bad.

Yes.. you can? If you can't think of a better example than the man doing his damndest to give the Nazis nuclear weapons, then you can be 100% certain that all collaborators are bad.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I've heard this before, but always in a smug "nah, gently caress you, we're using the language properly" way which makes my eyes roll so hard I develop vertigo. Is there actual proof to this, also to the quebecois thing?

Well, I'm no linguist, but here's a BBC article on the concept:
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180207-how-americans-preserved-british-english

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Eox posted:

Yes.. you can? If you can't think of a better example than the man doing his damndest to give the Nazis nuclear weapons, then you can be 100% certain that all collaborators are bad.

That's a big ole whoosh right there.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

MagicCube posted:

That's a big ole whoosh right there.

I couldn't care less if the thread's resident libertarian wants to defend Nazi collaboration but if you want to take a shot at explaining why it's no big deal that he worked on a nuclear weapons program for the Nazis instead of leaving the country then I'd love to hear your reasoning.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Helsing posted:

I couldn't care less if the thread's resident libertarian wants to defend Nazi collaboration but if you want to take a shot at explaining why it's no big deal that he worked on a nuclear weapons program for the Nazis instead of leaving the country then I'd love to hear your reasoning.

Because it was a joke about Heisenberg and the Uncertainty principle.

xtal posted:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
God I hate nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Humour?! In the CanPol thread? Well I never.