Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Booourns posted:

There's also this

Hmm, looks like regular Victory? On the one hand we haven't seen an announcement for the next RG yet, though on the other hand if they want to sell me a Ver. 2.0 MG or even just a minor parts update like V2AB, I'll take 3 please Bandai.

Edit: Japanese twitter folks think it's probably MG Second V which makes a lot of sense.

Also still waiting for the mystery Alex model to reappear too.

Also Edit: RG Vibro Nails have quite the spread. Noice.

https://twitter.com/dendero_no/status/1094100888602333187?s=19

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Zonekeeper posted:

Maybe the plan is TV HGs and then EW RGs later? They already have the Wing/Wing Zero done like that.

There's still no TV Wing Zero, except for the HG. Everything else is the EW

One day whoever's in charge of sales and design is going to die and the guy replacing him is a big fan of enemy suits, and maybe I'll finally see 1/100 versions of the Zolo Kai and Gengaozo

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 9, 2019

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ka0 posted:

One day whoever's in charge of sales and design is going to die and the guy replacing him is a big fan of enemy suits, and maybe I'll finally see 1/100 versions of the Zolo Kai and Gengaozo

He could just quit or retire, he doesn't have to die :ohdear:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RillAkBea posted:

He could just quit or retire, he doesn't have to die :ohdear:
Hey it's Japan, you don't wanna dishonour your lineage by retiring before you had the chance to work yourself to death.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I’d kill for HGs of some of the random enemy of the week suits from G Gundam. Gimme the windmill, Bandai.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

K Prime posted:

I’d kill for HGs of some of the random enemy of the week suits from G Gundam. Gimme the windmill, Bandai.

gently caress, I'd just love to see some modern kits for the Shuffle Alliance suits.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

K Prime posted:

TEQUILA GUNDAM!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Beelerzebub posted:

TEQUILA GUNDAM!

I am still deeply disappointed that Build Divers didn't make a kit of that Tequila Gundam custom.

Along with just being deeply disappointed with the tepid mess that was Build Divers in general.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Did build divers kill off the whole "build" project altogether? I know it's too much to ask for them to get the original writers back since they're working on the MHA anime, but still.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ka0 posted:

Did build divers kill off the whole "build" project altogether? I know it's too much to ask for them to get the original writers back since they're working on the MHA anime, but still.

There are still multiple ongoing Build and Build Divers manga series. Plus it was three or four years between Try and Divers, so it's too early to say that we won't get a new Build anime

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I held off for two days and picked up some Parafilm. The masking and airbrushing went really well!

Most parts turned out like this or with minimal white lines that can be covered up by some enamel panel liner after a gloss coat (I hear that's the thing to do).

However, there were a few casualties -- while the Parafilm was an incredible timesaver for masking up large irregularly shaped areas, I think I got rough with the pieces I'd tried to do edges with and didn't realize I'd torn the film.

What's the best way to touch these up? Could I get away with hand painting, or would that stick out like a sore thumb? I plan to do a matte top coat once I have the panel lines done, if that helps.

(Also, seeing the white peek through the red and yellow makes me want to do a McDonald's build real bad. Maybe a Mayor MockCheese?)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Kraven Moorhed posted:

What's the best way to touch these up? Could I get away with hand painting, or would that stick out like a sore thumb? I plan to do a matte top coat once I have the panel lines done, if that helps.

(Also, seeing the white peek through the red and yellow makes me want to do a McDonald's build real bad. Maybe a Mayor MockCheese?)

You're doing great. When masking mishaps happen, you can do one of two things. Redo the whole piece after sanding it, or touch up with a brush. I am terrible with using Tamiya with a brush so I would pick option 1, but if you can manage to paintbrush over the blank areas go right ahead because the gloss coats you are going to apply afterwards, for panel lining, are going to help hide the brush strokes.

Also I encourage you to McDonalize your build because gunpla is freedom. I'm going to paint my A-Z gundam like an amazon box.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Metal Gear?!

I was in London again last week so I picked up this weird-looking fucker. Not much to say other than it was refreshing to do an HG again after a couple of RG's. Surprised that a kit this recent (2016) has single-jointed elbows. Giant colour-correcting stickers on the shoulders suck, but they went on well enough. Thankfully it didn't use any PC-2's since I've been needing a spare one, somehow I split the one in the left shoulder of my RX-78-2 but now that's fixed.

The wires for the claws are kinda' weak, took me a few tries to get it posed in a way that the claw isn't pointing the ground.

Is the gimmick of the IBO line that they're lightly armoured and as such have a full internal frame? That was neat.

Don't have a free stand so my poses are pretty weak for this one.

Any hoo, I also picked up the RG Astray Red Frame so I'm going to start on that soon. I'm finally moving at the start of next month so that's going to be the last kit I'm going to build before then. That makes nine kits since I started in December. I think I might make my tenth and the first one in my new place a Master Grade.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 9, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Veotax posted:

Metal Gear?!

I was in London again last week so I picked up this weird-looking fucker. Not much to say other than it was refreshing to do an HG again after a couple of RG's. Surprised that a kit this recent (2016) has single-jointed elbows.

The wires for the claws are kinda' weak, took me a few tries to get it posed in a way that the claw isn't pointing the ground.

Is the gimmick of the IBO line that they're lightly armoured and as such have a full internal frame? That was neat.

Don't have a free stand so my poses are pretty weak for this one.

Any hoo, I also picked up the RG Astray Red Frame so I'm going to start on that soon. I'm finally moving at the start of next month so that's going to be the last kit I'm going to build before then. That makes nine kits since I started in December. I think I might make my tenth and the first one in my new place a Master Grade.

Yeah, the in-setting gimmick is that the Ahab Reactors for mobile suits are incredibly difficult to manufacture and most are salvaged from a war 300 years ago. MS frames have almost as much longevity and are made of incredibly durable material. Most of the MS in the series are based on three or four different chassis and while I don't think the actual show goes that far depicting it, they definitely marketed it in a similar manner to Build Fighters for mixing and matching your Gunpla parts. Armor-wise they're pretty durable but weapons technology is deliberately restricted. It's a fun series.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Argas posted:

Yeah, the in-setting gimmick is that the Ahab Reactors for mobile suits are incredibly difficult to manufacture and most are salvaged from a war 300 years ago. MS frames have almost as much longevity and are made of incredibly durable material. Most of the MS in the series are based on three or four different chassis and while I don't think the actual show goes that far depicting it, they definitely marketed it in a similar manner to Build Fighters for mixing and matching your Gunpla parts. Armor-wise they're pretty durable but weapons technology is deliberately restricted. It's a fun series.

In the series it's mostly represented by the evolution of the Gundam Barbatos, which goes through I think six distinct configurations in season one using mostly salvaged armor and equipment. A couple of them have components that are taken straight from other kits in this way. A couple of other suits seem over time likewise get revised and developed, although I suspect the pirate Gusion doesn't use the regular frame.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

In the series it's mostly represented by the evolution of the Gundam Barbatos, which goes through I think six distinct configurations in season one using mostly salvaged armor and equipment. A couple of them have components that are taken straight from other kits in this way. A couple of other suits seem over time likewise get revised and developed, although I suspect the pirate Gusion doesn't use the regular frame.

The 1/100 sort of does, but in the process it shows why they didn't do that on the high grade. The frame isn't built to take the weight.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ka0 posted:

There's still no TV Wing Zero, except for the HG. Everything else is the EW

I mean, the Proto Zero is so close it's down to picking minute details IMO.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Ka0 posted:

I remember seeing some news about another build divers project either TV or some kind of special ova movie. So expect one more crap diver story then some new version like build adventures or build casters.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

The last episode of divers, when the guys meet irl, that was when I realized the true potential of the series. Make a show about regular adults managing their lives with their hobby, make it about the actual craft and fighting of it, toss all of the kiddie shonen plot in the dumpster. Haven't they learned from AGE, force feeding a show around a target age audience is just complete disaster?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

All anime and to some extent all media is created and sold with an audience in mind so i'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Does any one know where the cowl for this kitbash comes from? I've seen it used a couple of times but cant place it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does any one know where the cowl for this kitbash comes from? I've seen it used a couple of times but cant place it.

Looks like a Flag or a Brave to me? Definitely an 00 design.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argas posted:

Not quite; Ahab Reactors are perfectly easy to make and quite prevalent in both ships and Mobile Suits, what's actually lost is how to make a pair of them synchronize 00-Gundam style. That's what makes the Gundam Frames so rare and powerful.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Looks like a Flag or a Brave to me? Definitely an 00 design.

I guess I mean more the cloak, the wings. The pieces seem familiar and distinctive but can't place it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite; Ahab Reactors are perfectly easy to make and quite prevalent in both ships and Mobile Suits, what's actually lost is how to make a pair of them synchronize 00-Gundam style. That's what makes the Gundam Frames so rare and powerful.

Production is monopolized by one group however, so everyone else makes do with salvage.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Veotax posted:

Surprised that a kit this recent (2016) has single-jointed elbows. Giant colour-correcting stickers on the shoulders suck, but they went on well enough.

Series HGs like HG IBO in this case generally use quite a lot of corner cutting (simpler joints, missing details, large stickers) though they're a lot better these days than they used to be there's stilloften a couple of stinkers in every line. HGUC is their big try hard line, though it also has quite a few stinkers to be entirely fair.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Series HGs like HG IBO in this case generally use quite a lot of corner cutting (simpler joints, missing details, large stickers) though they're a lot better these days than they used to be there's stilloften a couple of stinkers in every line. HGUC is their big try hard line, though it also has quite a few stinkers to be entirely fair.

I'm not sure that divide is as strong as you're implying. You get stuff like the loving Tristan in HGUC, and you get kits like the Portent for Build Fighters Try.

The difference for IBO specifically is that they had "be cheap" as a major design objective. The most expensive kit in the line (ignoring the booster and the Mobile Armor, of course) is 1600 yen. The Graze Ein and the Reginlaze Julia both come in cheaper than the aforementioned Tristan despite their bulk.

If you're keeping them that cheap, some corners get cut.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I will say that the Hugo from the IBO line is the worst IBO kit I've built out of the Graze, Graze Ein, Shiden, and Barbatos Lupus.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I guess I mean more the cloak, the wings. The pieces seem familiar and distinctive but can't place it.

Apparently, looking it up it's from the LBX Phantom.

And the head was 00, but the Gadessa, not a Flag derivative.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

BizarroAzrael posted:

The feet make me want to say that's a deathscythe hell EW. But the moveable wings and the custom work needed to get them from the old HG to that is amazing. So the only other option I can think of is scratch build or a frame arms I don't recognize. Cause no other wings in Gundam are shaped in quite that way.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

EVGA Longoria posted:

I mean, the Proto Zero is so close it's down to picking minute details IMO.

Proto Zero is close but it's blatantly still a Katoki variation on the design.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So I've been watching Unicorn again but actually paying attention instead of having it on in the background whilst building Gunpla.

When I've been looking at kits and earmarking kits to buy, I never really look at what entry they belong to.

Turns out probably 90% of the kits are from UC, so I guess sorry guys that's why Bandai keep releasing unicorn kits like their going out of fashion.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Whats the best way to deal with stress marks, or even avoid them in the first place?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's still hosed up that they never made a MG Geara Zulu

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

OscarDiggs posted:

Whats the best way to deal with stress marks, or even avoid them in the first place?

Cutting technique is a big part of it. Make two cuts - one through the gate, and then a second cut flush with the part. Single-bladed cutters are good for that - they crush the plastic less which reduces stress. Also, just rubbing the stress mark with your fingernail can make it much less noticeable.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Or cutting it close to the part but leaving a small nub and then using a small sanding stick or something similar to then sand it flush and then using finer grits to leave a smooth surface behind. The nail trick sometimes works out well but you can also use a small dab of paint the same color blended to hide stress marks sometimes is viable.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

That god drat eye sticker. Had to rip it off and put back on 3 times to make it line up right. Also can't get the bazooka to sit still; everytime I jostle the thing it falls off.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Please don't tell me that's how you have those models on display, cause if so we're gonna have to have a serious talk about posing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm deathly afraid of posting my collection as there's a real possibility that Taurus may come to my house and murder me for my crimes against gunpla posing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
http://putrashining.blogspot.com/2017/02/tutorial-basic-gunpla-posing-putaros.html?m=1