Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That the Green New Deal is an idea being seriously talked about is a positive sign, even if it's far overdue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I had a baby boomer who owns three homes assure me that we have not been fleeced out of a future but that we are overreacting, being short sighted and not working hard enough to ensure a good life for ourselves, actually

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We were fleeced out of the future. Our parents generation was the only one that had the possibility of doing anything about it and they dismissed all the foundations of what is now climate science as a communist/bleeding heart liberal/hippy bullshit scam and kept on going. It's too late now.

What's worse is that if you have a kid now, you're basically doing a cointoss on whether there's going to be an ecosystem to support them by the time they're our age.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

bengy81 posted:

I've been legit thinking about going on some, living with existential dread is pretty rough.

I was driving back from the airport last night and while trying to find a basketball or hockey game to listen to, I found the local conservative talk radio. They were talking about the green new deal and the "absurdity" of having to give up beef and cars, they were laughing about it like its a big joke. I wonder if there is ever gonna be a way to make those types understand whats happening, maybe when we have to eat worm protein burgers cuz beef is too expensive?

I've basically cut my red meat intake back to nothing, and I'm working on fixing other habits, but honestly, it feels like too little too late.

Ever get the feeling we were fleeced out of a future?

I had to and climate change did it. Had a really really bad panic attack about loving up and bringing kids into this hosed up world. I am on a normal dose of venlafaxine and it made my overwhelming anxiety go away. For days I couldnt sleep or eat. When I could sleep, Id shoot back awake with "ah poo poo, acidification of our oceans," immediately. I basically had to stop smoking pot because it would send me into overdrive.

I still have hope and promised I would continue to fight for a better future. We, as humans, have always banded together in times of dire need. We do bad, but we also do good. My family has changes how we live. We dont buy nestle or associated products. We eat little beef and limit or Carbon footprint. Sure, our poo poo is a drop in the ocean. An ocean made of tiny drops just like mine. I have seen a major cultural shift in just the past year regarding climate change, and hear more and more of people altering for a better lifestyle.

Voting with your wallet will change industrial usage of c02

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Vasudus posted:

We were fleeced out of the future. Our parents generation was the only one that had the possibility of doing anything about it and they dismissed all the foundations of what is now climate science as a communist/bleeding heart liberal/hippy bullshit scam and kept on going. It's too late now.

What's worse is that if you have a kid now, you're basically doing a cointoss on whether there's going to be an ecosystem to support them by the time they're our age.

I'm bummed out the most by the fact that climate science from before I was born was suppressed because it was bad for business.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I already had kids. The decision was made and I would have made the same one again. I have 3 boys who will grow up with my values and lifestyle. They saved my life and I need to teach them everything I have learned. To help make the world a better place.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've long accepted that the world as we know it is terminal. Not trying to be edgy or anything, just 'the planet's dyin', cloud' and there's absolutely zero things I can do to stop it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm for sure getting snipped in a few years. My best friend and a bunch of guys I work with my age have gotten it done too. I couldn't bring a kid into this world.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My psychologist thinks my depression is based on existential pessimism. I'm inclined to agree. Doesn't cover all of it and the anxiety it produces, but it's solid grounding.

Told her last time she asked the suicide question that I may not be working to prevent any inevitable cause of death (smoking, diet, basic poo poo that goes out the window with depression), but I'm not punching out anytime soon. Always saying I'm gonna go walk off into the woods when I get a cancer diagnosis, but I'd have to give a gently caress to see a doctor to even order the labs.

If I live into my sixties I'm solely crediting weed.

My brothers' 3 kids can inherit whatever is left. I don't need kids to pass poo poo on to, he covered that base.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Vasudus posted:

I've long accepted that the world as we know it is terminal. Not trying to be edgy or anything, just 'the planet's dyin', cloud' and there's absolutely zero things I can do to stop it.

I struggle with this, but on the other hand I sometimes think our generation can make a difference. Claw us back from the brink. I refuse to give in to despair.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Boy if you think boomers are depressing try being surrounded by 20-somethings with technical degrees that are all science deniers and say the same exact poo poo that the right wing talk show hosts do.

The only thing that gives me the remotest amount of hope in my generation is every so often seeing a poll that says we approve of not murdering the sick and poor at a rate above 30%. I don’t know where those people are though because I literally never encounter any of them ever in real life.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If someone wants to make a difference bur doesn't want to bring more kids in to the world they could always adopt

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I struggle with this, but on the other hand I sometimes think our generation can make a difference. Claw us back from the brink. I refuse to give in to despair.

If we can, we can. I'm of the opinion that a lot of people are going to have to die before things stabilize just long enough for a generation to think they've got control and start ruining things again.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I really wrestle with whether I want to bring a kid into this world with the knowledge of what’s to come in terms of environmental degradation. Part of me wants to spare them that horror and just spend the rest of my life living as best as I can with my future wife; another part of me wants to raise a child to be a good person and to fight for the future in a way that previous generations didn’t.

It’s tough because my fiancée and i’s best friends gave birth in the past two years, and I think she’s very much like it if all of our kids could grow up together. I’d feel a lot better if I knew my kid would turn out to be Furiosa and not just cannon fodder or Immortan Joe.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Fallom posted:

Boy if you think boomers are depressing try being surrounded by 20-somethings with technical degrees that are all science deniers and say the same exact poo poo that the right wing talk show hosts do.

The only thing that gives me the remotest amount of hope in my generation is every so often seeing a poll that says we approve of not murdering the sick and poor at a rate above 30%. I don’t know where those people are though because I literally never encounter any of them ever in real life.

what region do you live in? That sounds kind of unusual. Meeting Millennial or younger chuds is pretty uncommon for me.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
edit: on second thought, not funny

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 9, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

oh hey another closet TERF

James looks fabulous

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

what region do you live in? That sounds kind of unusual. Meeting Millennial or younger chuds is pretty uncommon for me.

Denver but I’m still in/work exclusively with people in the defense industry. I realize that right wing nonsense is disproportionate in that population but that doesn’t make me feel any better about it. I often think about going back to scooping ice cream but my wife would literally die without proper insurance.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 9, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The climate is completely hosed, we're just Wile E. Coyote not looking down yet. When countries begin collapsing and deaths start numbering hundreds of millions or more, whoever comes out the other side of the hosed up bullshit we've left to them will rightfully hate us for what we've done. The only optimistic scenario that's got a basis in reality is that the trauma the next hundred or so years inflicts on humanity is enough to make us learn the lessons we should have when it was possible to do so without suffering and pain. Only real hope is that whoever is left to pick up the pieces can push past the results of what we've done to make a better society that looks to the future and takes action before things happen.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ChurchofSatan/status/1094241840503640064?s=19

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i just hope i get to watch a bunch of rich people die painfully before the nuclear holocaust takes me

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vasudus posted:

https://twitter.com/thenation/status/1094054539102175233

We're all going to die and the world as we know it will be ruined before we're old men.

You know what the worst part about all this is? When the effects of this start directly impacting the average idiot in the first world (and that will still probably take a very long time), they're not going to say "oh, we were wrong all along, let's do everything we can to mitigate this". They'll just come up with some new bullshit way to deny reality, and things will get progressively worse.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
In Belgium high school kids have been skipping school to go march in Brussels every Thursday. The general reaction has been depressingly patronizing and demeaning. Like how can you look at those kids and tell them to stay in school and study for a future that's slowly disappearing rather than fight for their existence.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:yeah:

It will take seizing political power and making systemic legal changes though. Asking folks to pretty-please sort their garbage and have Meatless Mondays will not cut it.

I think that, in everything but the craziest Clathrate Gun scenarios, at least some people will survive for at least several hundred years. We aren't aphrodite-forming the planet, just guaranteeing that a bunch of people will die sooner or not be born. We can definitely make things better for the ones who live, and increase their numbers.

Freeman Dyson spoke at my college once, and he recalled to us that when he was in college, he and all his classmates thought they were all going to die: there was going to be another war in Europe, it would be fought with bacteriological weaponry or worse, and also London looked like hell come to earth. I don't mean by sharing this story to suggest that we're being chicken-littled about climate change; first of all, Dyson's classmates were right about the war, and that it would be fought with terrifying world-destroying weaponry, and that pollution was killing them and in fact in some ways it all got worse than they thought. But a lot of people made it through the 20th century, and a lot of people will make it through the 21st, and what we do today will effect what they'll be able to do tomorrow.

The apocalypse is already here, it's just unevenly distributed, and it will continue to be.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 9, 2019

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

I'm majoring in chemical engineering because I wanted to do something about global warming and right now I have very little hope for the future.

The professor guiding our unit operations lab, where chemical engineers learn to run plants, has us working to minimize CO2 emissions from cars by optimizing the ethanol production process. He decided that was the most important thing to optimize because NASA published an infographic in a paper showing that generic industrial emissions include a bunch of things like smog forming agents and particulate matter that actually have a cooling effect, totally ignoring that those emissions also impact the environment and also have shorter lifespans than CO2. The only constraints we work with in design are monetary and we definitely don't look into things enough to translate emissions into costs. We just spent three weeks making calculators to estimate what we need to save for retirement, and no one else I talked to even considered what climate change would do to their retirement plans. It's only one graduating class from one university, but the idea that these people are going to be responsible for curtailing emissions is not inspiring.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The difference between the existential threat of global war and the damage done to the climate is pretty significant though. War of that scale hasn't happened, and although it could, it's a largely binary thing. Climate change has happened and we're largely still trying to figure out how hosed we are. In this example it's like the nukes were already launched and we're just waiting to see if they're actually going to hit a populated area or just the empty desert.

It's like if you were dosed with a lethal blast of radiation. There's a high chance you'll be able to carry on, even like nothing happened, until suddenly you're hosed.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dead planet walking. I know the planet isn't dying for good, it's just getting rid of a virus.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh and hey since it's a small problem again: "retard" and "retarded" as pejoratives are not okay here. Find a different adjective.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
In a thousand years, when the next dominant culture is picking through what's left of what we leave behind, they're going to wonder why we saw this coming but kept letting the people who thought their opinions mattered more than hard data make decisions.

Those same morons would look at this statement and say "aha, humans didn't go extinct, ergo, all that gloom and doom stuff didn't matter." :smug: Nevermind that those future archaeologists have to wear stillsuits and walk without rhythm.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
"Hey guys, Candace Owens said Hitler just wanted to make Germany great, but aren't radical leftists the real villains?"
https://twitter.com/HenMazzig/status/1094254200454893574

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In 1000 years the few small tribal villages that exist at the extreme ends of the globe will talk of ancient empires so powerful that people could fly around the world and make fireballs that would vaporize entire cities. Our technology will be gone. We’re going to lose so much.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Rush Limbaugh Eats The Earth was a documentary

E: ^Electricity isn't going back in the bottle. There is no scenario whatsoever, barring the total extinction of humanity, that technology regresses to pre-1890s levels.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 9, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mr. Nice! posted:

In 1000 years the few small tribal villages that exist at the extreme ends of the globe will talk of ancient empires so powerful that people could fly around the world and make fireballs that would vaporize entire cities. Our technology will be gone. We’re going to lose so much.

Well, let's not ignore the downsides.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I want my future children to collect billionaire scalps, just like their ol'man used to!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Vasudus posted:

We got ice and snow coming Monday, probably just enough to gently caress up the commute rather than do anything long lasting.

The temperature Tuesday will be 40 degrees
The temperature last Tuesday was 67 degrees
The temperature two Tuesdays ago was 9 degrees

Crossposting from the other thread. I had my air conditioner on the last few days, today I have the heating on. There were mayflies/gnats/whatever out and about on Wednesday, they're most likely all dead due to the cold now.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Watched blade runner 2049 last night and eating grubs for protein and building giant seawalls on an otherwise dead planet seems like the least depressing glimpse into the future.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 9, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Seawalls are most likely what we're going to do instead of move cities away from the coast. They're already talking about doing one in NYC, since these things will take decades to do. Better to spend 20-30 billion over 10-15 years than try and relocate ~13 million people and radically change the east coast transport network.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Rush Limbaugh Eats The Earth was a documentary

E: ^Electricity isn't going back in the bottle. There is no scenario whatsoever, barring the total extinction of humanity, that technology regresses to pre-1890s levels.

I’m with you there. Knowing electricity exists in the first place gets you 90% of the way

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On the bright side higher global temperatures means the earth will get to see dragonflies with 2.5 feet wingspans again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Eej posted:

On the bright side higher global temperatures means the earth will get to see dragonflies with 2.5 feet wingspans again

Not unless you can also increase the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere. A lot of the limitations to current insect sizes is due to their anatomy - for example we'll never see movie/video game sized giant spiders unless they don't have the same kind of lungs. Spiders have a "book lung" that looks like an accordion folder that rapidly loses efficiency the larger it gets.