Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Devs usually stick to a specific genre so you might be overanalyzing the situation? Dunno

Yeah that's true so I do end up playing a lot of stuff by the same teams for that reason but I was mostly responding to "I have no idea what Death Stranding is but it has Kojima's name on it so I'm buying it" which feels foreign to me. I guess if a dev has a reputation for staying in their corner it works out to just following a genre but that's not the impression I get of Kojima (not having actually played any of his games so maybe I'm way off)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

maybe you should play some kojima games. you can start with policenauts

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The 7th Guest posted:

walking sims rule but the genre has the highest chasm between boom and bust of any genre in gaming. a walking sim is either boring garbage or it's an amazing experience

I've liked pretty much every walking simulator I tried with the exception of Ethan Carter, which is probably one of the worst games I've ever played. I don't know if that confirms or disputes your claim but the nice thing about walky sims is that they're all over in 2-3 hours.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tales of Woe posted:

i think Falcom is the only dev i would buy a new game from sight unseen but they also only make 2 very specific things
Sight unseen perhaps not, as there have been Falcom games I've not been super hot on, but I would at the very least give every single release serious consideration.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah that's true so I do end up playing a lot of stuff by the same teams for that reason but I was mostly responding to "I have no idea what Death Stranding is but it has Kojima's name on it so I'm buying it" which feels foreign to me. I guess if a dev has a reputation for staying in their corner it works out to just following a genre but that's not the impression I get of Kojima (not having actually played any of his games so maybe I'm way off)

He makes good and interesting games that appeal to my tastes. Genre doesn't really come into it, not sure why it would.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's a long year ahead but kingdom hearts 3 is already well in the running for the worst game i will play during it

so much work to put out something so completely vacuous

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

homeless snail posted:

maybe you should play some kojima games. you can start with policenauts

Gross

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Steve2911 posted:

He makes good and interesting games that appeal to my tastes. Genre doesn't really come into it, not sure why it would.

I just meant that from my perspective, if I like one thing someone makes, all that really tells me is that the venn diagram of "things they like to make" and "things I enjoy" has some overlap. If they go off and do something else, unless they show it off as being similar to the previous thing (this is where genre comes in, "this thing is similar to these other older things" is practically the definition of genre), I have basically no guarantee that the new thing will remain in the overlap of that venn diagram. I guess once you've stuck with them enough through multiple genre shifts you can come closer and closer to expecting that venn diagram to be just a circle, but the first few genre shifts will be pretty dicey in terms of whether it actually will fall in the overlap.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

cheetah7071 posted:

I just meant that from my perspective, if I like one thing someone makes, all that really tells me is that the venn diagram of "things they like to make" and "things I enjoy" has some overlap. If they go off and do something else, unless they show it off as being similar to the previous thing (this is where genre comes in, "this thing is similar to these other older things" is practically the definition of genre), I have basically no guarantee that the new thing will remain in the overlap of that venn diagram. I guess once you've stuck with them enough through multiple genre shifts you can come closer and closer to expecting that venn diagram to be just a circle, but the first few genre shifts will be pretty dicey in terms of whether it actually will fall in the overlap.

Fair enough.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

Walking simulators/adventure games aren't something I usually enjoy, but the ones I do like are the ones with a lot of reactivity, exploration, and goofy subsystems to get you involved and doing poo poo while walking around.

A Kojima walking sim is liable to have a gently caress ton of all three of those things so I'm on board even if Death Stranding is a walking sim.

Yeah, a good walking simulator to me is like those Living Book games or I Spy whatever. I should be able to click on everything even if it just means opening a drawer that has a texture of clothing in it. Jazzpunk is still one of the best.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

botw has the best open world. hopefully botw 2 will fix the weapon stuff

Id like there to be more unique settlements, enemy types, quest type stuff that was more than a collect x or find a shrine

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd like it to have dungeons, fun bosses and an expanding inventory of gadgets and items

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Verranicus posted:

I want to live in a world where Dizzy became the most recognized mascot platformer instead of Mario

That world is called the uk.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

For a bit I was confused and trying to remember whether there was ever a Guilty Gear platformer.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd like it to have dungeons, fun bosses and an expanding inventory of gadgets and items

Yeah i missed all that a hell of a lot but i think going back to that will be impossible due to the reception of botw except in the next 2d zelda

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only old people remember Dizzy, even here

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought I was following along with the conversation but realized I had been thinking of Izzy, the mascot of the Atlanta 1996 Olympics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8c95q7WTHg

Edit: holy poo poo this thing had two different games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_PCbpR3p8

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought I was following along with the conversation but realized I had been thinking of Izzy, the mascot of the Atlanta 1996 Olympics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8c95q7WTHg

I had that game. I recall it being hard.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm sort of stunned at how good Apex Legends is and how much I've been thinking about it

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
People are just joking about what will happen to Bioware if Anthem under-performs alongside Apex over-performing right?

Like there still has to be another Dragon Age am I right?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
BioWare is dead, Jim

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They announced they're working on one but it wouldn't be the first high profile game EA has axed because it didn't fit projections or whatever

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The question wasn't ever if Anthem was going to bomb, just how much it would bomb

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
dizzy was poo poo. not the poo poo. just poo poo. a metroidvania with no upgrades, no i-frames, picky flags, and you could only hold three key items at a time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The BioWare that made the games people loved barely exists at this point, they could probably hand over Dragon Age to the studio that was gonna make the Command and Conquer game if that still exists and hasn't been reshuffled away yet

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Viewtiful Jew posted:

People are just joking about what will happen to Bioware if Anthem under-performs alongside Apex over-performing right?

Why would you want another Dragon Age after 2 and Inquisition?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

They can get other people to make Dragon Age, and EA has buried bigger franchises. It's also hard to know how far along with whatever the next iteration since they just showed a logo and didnt even say the name.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dragon Age 4 has already been restarted once and all the principal writers behind the games (Gaider, Laidlaw) are gone with the exception of Patrick Weekes. If Anthem flops I'd be surprised if it ever got made.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

a metroidvania with no upgrades

Toki Tori 2 is really good at being this

Sakurazuka posted:

Only played through 2 of them so far but I have liked the bosses and dungeons and the way exploration opens up through more exploration and the armor you obtain and the ways you can solve puzzles with your little toolkit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tales of Woe posted:

i think Falcom is the only dev i would buy a new game from sight unseen but they also only make 2 very specific things

I thought this way until Tokyo Xanadu Ex

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tales of Woe posted:

Respawn's earned that for me at this point, long as it's shooty of course

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

Toki Tori 2 is really good at being this

toki tori 2 probably doesn't have pixel-perfect blind jumps with three lives though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played a lot of apex legends today bc it's the only online game my friends will play with me in between Splatoon solo queueing ...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did eat waffles for breakfast though, so the ongoing psy-op is still successful

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

toki tori 2 probably doesn't have pixel-perfect blind jumps with three lives though

Nope. It just gives you a couple basic commands and then has it so that you naturally learn how creatures behave in response to your actions so that on second playthroughs you can just bust the game right open with the knowledge you acquired. It's like super metroid with the walljumps and shinesparks and crystal flashes.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

I did eat waffles for breakfast though, so the ongoing psy-op is still successful

plain or blueberry

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm at the start of VC4. Are any of the 2 DLCs worth getting? "expert battles" and "the two valkyria". Either of them give the 2 free dlcs: 'a united front with squad 7' and 'advance ops'. Are those themselves any good? I loved 1/2 and played a little of 3.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I played the Squad 7 and Adanced Ops ones and I honestly couldn't tell you if they were particularly noteworthy. They do unlock some extra characters though. Two Valkyria is actually the very last thing I have left to do in this game at this point (game beaten, all characters unlocked, all squad stories accomplished).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/_Sc0r_/status/1094020291083169792