Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Regarde Aduck posted:

Did none of you actually believe capitalism was the great beast that devours all around it and then itself?

I did but even for capitalism this is all highly lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I honestly want Nigel Farage to just not exist anymore. Like, ooze away into obscurity you troglodyte.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

Freedom of movement for "proper Europeans" :thunk:

Its great because he voted to no longer be a "proper European"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s pretty funny that in his brain there is this ability for him to travel and live around Europe without restriction which is good, and “freedom of movement” which is bad

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Grape posted:

This is aging like fine wine.

Lol how did I never notice they're driving a loving kubelwagen.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

In his mind a Briton should not be held back from traveling because that's what Britons do, travel and conquer all the eye sees. Free movement is just to make everything accessible to them forens.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

An insane mind posted:

I honestly want Nigel Farage to just not exist anymore. Like, ooze away into obscurity you troglodyte.

He's 5 years older than David Cameron lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jose posted:

He's 5 years older than David Cameron lol

Oh my god I have to quit smoking

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i say swears online posted:

Oh my god I have to quit smoking

and start loving pigs, just to be sure

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Opferwurst posted:

I think it's pretty funny that Dave is gonna get permanent residence from Spain and the only people who will actually get hosed over by Brexit will be the young people and not Dave. It's hilarious

I doubt it. EU countries are only required to grant permanent residence to Brits who meet certain criteria - mostly people in employment who can contribute to their host nation's economy and who have the financial resources to cover their own sickness/healthcare expenses.

Individual countries can elect to offer more generous residency conditions if they wish, but I don't see Spain extending a welcoming hand to Costa del Gammon retirees.

Even if it did, they still wouldn't have European-style freedom of movement. If they wanted to work or seek residency in a different EU country they would have to go through that country's immigration/nationalisation process as a non-EU citizen.

And even then, this only applies if the UK agrees to the EU's exit deal. What happens under no-deal is anyone's guess.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Elevator Screamer posted:

I doubt it. EU countries are only required to grant permanent residence to Brits who meet certain criteria - mostly people in employment who can contribute to their host nation's economy and who have the financial resources to cover their own sickness/healthcare expenses.

Individual countries can elect to offer more generous residency conditions if they wish, but I don't see Spain extending a welcoming hand to Costa del Gammon retirees.

Even if it did, they still wouldn't have European-style freedom of movement. If they wanted to work or seek residency in a different EU country they would have to go through that country's immigration/nationalisation process as a non-EU citizen.

And even then, this only applies if the UK agrees to the EU's exit deal. What happens under no-deal is anyone's guess.

so all the yuuf Ibiza barmaids and barmen are kinda screwed and have to find a summer job in the U.K. instead?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jel Shaker posted:

so all the yuuf Ibiza barmaids and barmen are kinda screwed and have to find a summer job in the U.K. instead?

quite possibly, visa free travel to most countries usually does not allow you to work.

for instance with the UK/EU agreement with the USA yes you need to get an ESTA and that allows visa free travel to the united states for up to 90 days.

But it is not a work visa, you cannot use that to then get casual work over a summer - legally.

You would imagine the EU and UK might come to some agreement, but poo poo like doing bar work for the summer or working in a ski chalet for the winter is most likely about to become a lot more difficult.

because you best believe the UK isn't, currently at least, about to offer like 6 months visa free working for EU nationals lol.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
lol I just realized I'm gonna be in Cyprus this summer during the high British tourist season, in the first summer after Brexit.
This should be interesting!

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

JFairfax posted:

lol I am just trying to buy a house in Chicago.

you guys don't know what a property bubble is, this poo poo is stable as a rock compared to the UK market lol

Welcome, friend!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

An insane mind posted:

But if Nige no longer exists who will take his place earning £320,000 a year for hosting 1 hour of radio 4 days a week?

Just lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
An MP has written an article about brexit but this is key

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/02/i-talked-my-leave-voting-constituents-about-brexit-what-i-learnt

quote:

Tony told me: “They are all the same. What’s the point in voting Labour if they are the same as the Conservatives? They are all tarred with the same brush, doing the same thing. You aren’t real Labour at all because you don’t know about working people. You have lost it. It’s called Labour because that was for the working class, now they are for themselves. They come from school to a bigger school, university, then out of this school into politics. What real world experience have they had?”

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I know the UK is fiendishly devoted to its own destruction, but I'm pretty sure the EU already said it wasn't going to extend A50 just so the UK could gently caress with their elections. This seems like overkill.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Lol how did I never notice they're driving a loving kubelwagen.

I sure when they dress as SS Soldiers it will just be because they are big history fans.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I know the UK is fiendishly devoted to its own destruction, but I'm pretty sure the EU already said it wasn't going to extend A50 just so the UK could gently caress with their elections. This seems like overkill.

That's prob the whole point of the announcement, to try to push the EU not to give an extension.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I read Stephen King's The Tommyknockers when I was a kid and one bit of it filled me with utter terror.

After the town's residents start falling under the telepathic influence of the crashed alien spaceship there's one kid who is an aspiring magician. The alien brain worms tell him how to build a teleportation device which he uses to make things disappear and reappear. But his friends and family get bored of seeing the same trick being performed on objects, so he ups his game by disappearing his granddad. Except when he tries to reappear gramps, he doesn't come back.

Later in the book it's revealed that granddad got teleported to a cold airless rock of a planet where time passes infinitesimally slowly, and he's spent hundreds of years slowly suffocating as the last air in his lungs decays.

The horror of being trapped and helpless in an endlessly slow death, powerless to do anything to escape really stuck with me and probably introduced the idea of existential dread to my prepubescent mind long before I should have ever had to consider such things.

Brexit fills me with the same kind of dread.

I'm approaching 40 and live in a constituency in NI that voted remain by 75%, even though turnout was under 50%. I don't know a single person who voted leave. My family are all pro-EU. My friends are all pro-EU. Everyone I work with is pro-EU.

But yet I'm trapped in this scenario where the country I thought I lived in is a lie. Everyone knows it's a loving terrible idea that will absolutely lead the UK into a suffocating death spiral just like teleported granddad, but no-one in a position of power has the guts to stand up and declare just how indescribably terrible this whole process is.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I'm sorry Elevator Screamer, like, I'm honestly sorry to hear how crappy you feel about this and how basically everyone you know is a Remainer but the truth is it didn't matter and the disgusting part is it never mattered.

NI, Scotland and Wales could have had 100% turnout voting 100% Remain and it wouldn't have mattered. Because this has always been about the English and what they want to happen for the U.K. and by golly they'll drag the rest of you down with them cause Brexit is Brexit and a narrow victory for Leave is an absolute majority.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

I read Stephen King's The Tommyknockers when I was a kid and one bit of it filled me with utter terror.

After the town's residents start falling under the telepathic influence of the crashed alien spaceship there's one kid who is an aspiring magician. The alien brain worms tell him how to build a teleportation device which he uses to make things disappear and reappear. But his friends and family get bored of seeing the same trick being performed on objects, so he ups his game by disappearing his granddad. Except when he tries to reappear gramps, he doesn't come back.

Later in the book it's revealed that granddad got teleported to a cold airless rock of a planet where time passes infinitesimally slowly, and he's spent hundreds of years slowly suffocating as the last air in his lungs decays.

The horror of being trapped and helpless in an endlessly slow death, powerless to do anything to escape really stuck with me and probably introduced the idea of existential dread to my prepubescent mind long before I should have ever had to consider such things.

I'm approaching 40 and live in a constituency in NI that voted remain by 75%, even though turnout was under 50%. I don't know a single person who voted leave. My family are all pro-EU. My friends are all pro-EU. Everyone I work with is pro-EU.

But yet I'm trapped in this scenario where the country I thought I lived in is a lie. Everyone knows it's a loving terrible idea that will absolutely lead the UK into a suffocating death spiral just like teleported granddad, but no-one in a position of power has the guts to stand up and declare just how indescribably terrible this whole process is.

Death of Unionism.txt

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

You live in NI, right? There's a soft border for the next month and a half. If you just happen to be on the far side when Brexit actually happens, surely you can apply for asylum?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Elevator Screamer is a unionist. BUT IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO REPENT!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if the tories loose Ireland and Scotland it’s not like they’re actually loosing any seats, if anything they’re shoreing up their power in Westminster which is all they really care about

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

JFairfax posted:

lol I am just trying to buy a house in Chicago.

you guys don't know what a property bubble is, this poo poo is stable as a rock compared to the UK market lol

if I had money, that would be your new av text lmao

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

slumdoge millionare posted:

You live in NI, right? There's a soft border for the next month and a half. If you just happen to be on the far side when Brexit actually happens, surely you can apply for asylum?

I'm safe in that regards. The week after Cameron announced the referendum I applied for my Irish passport because it was immediately obvious that the UK was going to vote leave. I've been an Irish citizen since then.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Elevator Screamer is a unionist. BUT IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO REPENT!

I was nominally Unionist in the past. When I was younger I was definitely full-on Unionist. I had a granddad who was in the B-Special reserve police force and a couple of uncles in the Ulster Defence Regiment, the main British Army regiment in NI at the time. And I was fully indoctrinated into the weird more-British-than-the-Brits ideology of the Orange Order.

It wasn't until I went to uni in Scotland and then went on to work for a time in London that I realised just how few fucks the rest of the UK gives about NI, and how loving dumb Northern Irish Unionism is as an ideology. But even then I still believed that, ideology aside, NI was better off economically as a part of the UK.

Brexit changed that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The virgin Orange man unionist vs the chad celt

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I was nominally Unionist in the past. When I was younger I was definitely full-on Unionist. I had a granddad who was in the B-Special reserve police force and a couple of uncles in the Ulster Defence Regiment, the main British Army regiment in NI at the time. And I was fully indoctrinated into the weird more-British-than-the-Brits ideology of the Orange Order.

It wasn't until I went to uni in Scotland and then went on to work for a time in London that I realised just how few fucks the rest of the UK gives about NI, and how loving dumb Northern Irish Unionism is as an ideology. But even then I still believed that, ideology aside, NI was better off economically as a part of the UK.

Brexit changed that.

Yeah, people in Scotland feel we have it bad as far as being ignored but Northern Ireland isn't even an after thought, the most most Brits think about it is "oh, will The Troubles start back up if X happens?"

Swear, if the Republicans hadn't brought the Troubles to places like Manchester and London and Brighton we'd have collectively been completely unaware of anything about it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

It was worse than that, the one he teleported away was his little brother. :v:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Stephen King talked later in his career about how he wrote The Tommyknockers while he was high out of his mind on cocaine.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Stephen King talked later in his career about how he wrote The Tommyknockers while he was high out of his mind on cocaine.

this is how he wrote almost everything before he started misery

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

etalian posted:

The virgin Orange man unionist vs the chad celt

Orange Man Bad

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Tom Guycot posted:

It was worse than that, the one he teleported away was his little brother. :v:

yeah and then grampa helps the little boy get rescued, so it all turns out ok

so brexit will be fine innit

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You should check out The Jaunt

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Moridin920 posted:

Farage definitely held his breath .

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Jose posted:

i doubt it had anywhere near as much impact as people like to pretend

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gq.com/story/facebook-driving-attacks-against-refugees/amp

In a new study, researchers found a strong correlation between frequent Facebook use and hate crimes. Specifically, the University of Warwick study claims to show that if Facebook use was higher than average in a given town or city, then it was more likely that the town would see violence against local refugees. posted:

I would expect this to increase a wide array of dumbass behaviour's beyond hate crimes

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think FB made those people broke brained I think they use FB so much because they are already broke brained.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Facebook usage goes up xenophobic attacks go up Facebook gets cut off attacks go down probably a coincidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Moridin920 posted:

This is one of the few horror stories to genuinely get under my skin and never leave. I'll still find myself occasionally, when I can't fall asleep late at night having thoughts go through my head, silly as I know they are, that what if after death is like the jaunt...