Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Saxophone posted:

I've been doing that, but man those bridge parts are just soul crushing to make at 40 something steel bars per order.

Don't forget to up your relationships with people, they give lots of quests that sometimes give rep points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sydin posted:

So should I not be turning all of my carbon steel right around into steel plates? Seemingly everything needs them right now so I've got three industrial furnaces working full time on carbon steel, and three cutters churning out steel plates.

Steel frames take bars.

I say keep a fair amount of plates on hand. No less than 20. Otherwise leave as bars.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Sydin posted:

So should I not be turning all of my carbon steel right around into steel plates? Seemingly everything needs them right now so I've got three industrial furnaces working full time on carbon steel, and three cutters churning out steel plates.

Split between plates and frames. You'll need lots of steel frames, then later steel shells (which are frames+shells).

Later on, you'll also need aluminum stuff as well, though I noticed its not nearly as common of an ingredient as carbon steel based ingredients.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'll add it to the list. Right now I've got an issue where I really need to just take a couple days and stockpile a ton of wood and ores, wood in particular since the new furnaces chew through it like nothing else. Getting them isn't hard, it's just time consuming. Wood in particular since I have to run around the map.

I'm slowly converting my civil furnaces to industrials, although the bloodstone requirement is killing me. They seem to only drop from every fifth large quarry rock. :argh: I also just unlocked the advanced skiver so I need to start pumping those out too.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

In the options menu, you can slow down the passing of time. It doesn't help your furnace times, but if you find yourself scrambling to get wood and then back to do upkeep and then to do this and that etc. It can help. I know I turn mine down when I go ironwood harvesting just because the trees are so far apart

Also, does getting the year end award do.anyyging besides 30k goal and gloating rights over Higgins? Because I'm perfectly happy with second place and chill. 30k can be made up by like, 2 days of Wise Fish fishing.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Where can I go fishing for fat stacks? I upgraded my rod and want to change it up a little.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Where can I go fishing for fat stacks? I upgraded my rod and want to change it up a little.

Go to the abandoned wastes and fish up wise fish from the pool. They're 320g each. You can also get bladefish and catfish.

People might say Goliath's are better (they're 350g) but they're a tiny bit rarer and take much more effort to catch.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Saxophone posted:

In the options menu, you can slow down the passing of time. It doesn't help your furnace times, but if you find yourself scrambling to get wood and then back to do upkeep and then to do this and that etc. It can help. I know I turn mine down when I go ironwood harvesting just because the trees are so far apart

Also, does getting the year end award do.anyyging besides 30k goal and gloating rights over Higgins? Because I'm perfectly happy with second place and chill. 30k can be made up by like, 2 days of Wise Fish fishing.

You also get a ton of relic parts as well as a few other goodies u can't remember. Also a sweet trophy.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Sydin posted:

I'll add it to the list. Right now I've got an issue where I really need to just take a couple days and stockpile a ton of wood and ores, wood in particular since the new furnaces chew through it like nothing else. Getting them isn't hard, it's just time consuming. Wood in particular since I have to run around the map.

I'm slowly converting my civil furnaces to industrials, although the bloodstone requirement is killing me. They seem to only drop from every fifth large quarry rock. :argh: I also just unlocked the advanced skiver so I need to start pumping those out too.

I wouldn't have known that you can trade 999 stone a day for 999 wood at A&G Construction if someone hadn't pointed it out in this thread, so I figured I'd bring it up again just in case. When I ruin dive I end up with tons of spare stone, so it's great.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Turning hardwood into regular wood is also a good source of it.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
So this game just aborted my character's baby.

I was running a test to see if the story changes if I romanced Aadit. I already knew he would leave after the Rogue Knight quest line, so I wanted to see if he shows up when my character had her baby. My character was pregnant when she fought the All Source (the Civil Corps did all the work, I ran out of stamina and healing items). She was still pregnant the day after, but two days after the fight the baby icon disappeared. I'm holding onto the profile for later updates from the devs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Once you get the tree farm going wood becomes such a non issue. Ditto for the mine.

People complain that even at 50 percent speed they don't have time to do what they need, yet mid game you have so many processes automated you really don't have to actively do much. You get wood and ore deliveries, can pay the Civil corps to run dungeons for you, and putting various relics outside will give you friendship points when people go out and admire them. Giving people loved gifts on the holidays /birthdays is way more efficient than talking to them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

waggles posted:

So this game just aborted my character's baby.

I was running a test to see if the story changes if I romanced Aadit. I already knew he would leave after the Rogue Knight quest line, so I wanted to see if he shows up when my character had her baby. My character was pregnant when she fought the All Source (the Civil Corps did all the work, I ran out of stamina and healing items). She was still pregnant the day after, but two days after the fight the baby icon disappeared. I'm holding onto the profile for later updates from the devs.

There was a rumor your character could suffer a miscarriage if fighting in dungeons too much. Not sure if it is true.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Unless things have changed since I last played/got to that point in the game, the Fire Powered Generator is also extremely efficient in terms of wood-to-energy pre-factory. I don't think I ever swung at a tree after I got those going and the tree farm done (poplar wood aside).

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Build a surrogate womb and put it in Ack. He can have a bun in the oven while he's got a bun in the oven!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Fhqwhgads posted:

Build a surrogate womb and put it in Ack. He can have a bun in the oven while he's got a bun in the oven!

Oh the Church of Light is gonna love that.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

How many data discs for absolution?

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Fallen Rib

Magil Zeal posted:

Unless things have changed since I last played/got to that point in the game, the Fire Powered Generator is also extremely efficient in terms of wood-to-energy pre-factory. I don't think I ever swung at a tree after I got those going and the tree farm done (poplar wood aside).

There is a cut scene about the child birth that the father is involved in that I don't think has been put in, I'll test an earlier save and see.

Here's one with Arlo:

Also why is my baby wearing make-up?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Does your child actually grow up or do anything or is it just a lump that sits in a crib for all eternity like most games in the genre?

A Wonderful Life had a lot of issues but one feature I really enjoyed in it was that because the game had timeskips, your child would actually grow up and help around the farm later on or go off and find a job doing what they liked based on who they hung around with as a child. It was cool and made it feel like you were building an actual relationship with your kid, to the point that it's soured me on having kids in any of the other HM genre games.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Sydin posted:

Does your child actually grow up or do anything or is it just a lump that sits in a crib for all eternity like most games in the genre?

Currently doesn't grow at all. It's been talked about before as a maybe feature though.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

My personal favorite spot to make money fishing is the desert oasis since you get wise fish 320g and gladiator fish 280g very frequently. With the fish identification talent you can skip the golden salmon/trash and just catch valuable stuff.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Fallen Rib
I didn't get too far but she did grow a little bit of hair. You can get toys at Django's Game Center (buy or tickets) and milk at Sonia's register. To have a child you'll need your house to be a level 4, full hearts with your spouse (Full Devotion), wait a couple days for your spouse to ask if you want a kid. After they ask, for the next couple of days, if your character is a woman in a straight relationship, your husband will tell you to take it easy for awhile. After another couple of days, he'll mention that the reason you are tired is because you're pregnant. A little icon of a baby will show up where buffs/debuffs are shown on the character screen and for about a month your character will stay pregnant. There is a debuff of -30% to defense and stamina while you're pregnant.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

waggles posted:

I didn't get too far but she did grow a little bit of hair. You can get toys at Django's Game Center (buy or tickets) and milk at Sonia's register. To have a child you'll need your house to be a level 4, full hearts with your spouse (Full Devotion), wait a couple days for your spouse to ask if you want a kid. After they ask, for the next couple of days, if your character is a woman in a straight relationship, your husband will tell you to take it easy for awhile. After another couple of days, he'll mention that the reason you are tired is because you're pregnant. A little icon of a baby will show up where buffs/debuffs are shown on the character screen and for about a month your character will stay pregnant. There is a debuff of -30% to defense and stamina while you're pregnant.

A compelling argument in favor of lesbianism.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Does your character look gravid?

Who brings the baby if you decide to adopt?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rynoto posted:

Currently doesn't grow at all. It's been talked about before as a maybe feature though.

The problem is these games usually don't have enough content that lasts so many years and most players barely get through a year or two anyway. It's a lot of content that's hard to justify producing.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Maybe it's time to bother to upgrade the house.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Welp, waste deep in the desert bridge quest. I thought I had enough Carbon Steel stockpiled. I was wrong. :shepicide:

Also tempering fluid has become a serious bottle neck what with each bridge tower needing 18 of them between clay + glass. I can get about 20 of them doing a run of levels 1-3 of the sewer dungeon, but that takes 11 in game hours and is 20 minutes of incredibly tedious and repetitive "combat". FFS just let me buy this poo poo at the Tool shop, even if it is overpriced.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sydin posted:

Welp, waste deep in the desert bridge quest. I thought I had enough Carbon Steel stockpiled. I was wrong. :shepicide:

Also tempering fluid has become a serious bottle neck what with each bridge tower needing 18 of them between clay + glass. I can get about 20 of them doing a run of levels 1-3 of the sewer dungeon, but that takes 11 in game hours and is 20 minutes of incredibly tedious and repetitive "combat". FFS just let me buy this poo poo at the Tool shop, even if it is overpriced.

You can send the Civil corp out to get it for you, there's a board in their office. It's cheaper if you give them more time to grab it but a full run they come back with quite a bit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

socialsecurity posted:

You can send the Civil corp out to get it for you, there's a board in their office. It's cheaper if you give them more time to grab it but a full run they come back with quite a bit.

:dance:

Holy poo poo thank you so much. QoL just went up immensely.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

socialsecurity posted:

Why have I never bothered to use them. Thanks for the tip.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
this game is a lot better earlier on running cheat engine's speedhack, especially when i realize i want about 2000 stone

actually, a lot of games are weirdly improved by this

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sydin posted:

You can also get tempering fluid from the Weekend item inspection at the Commission's Office. I've been doing that every time for the achievement so it helps you stock up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Diving down into the Abandoned Ruins is quite the adventure. It poses so many questions about the ancient Portians. Who were they? What did they do in this place? What secrets did they bury here? And especially, why were they so loving fond of tennis?! :argh:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zesty posted:

You can also get tempering fluid from the Weekend item inspection at the Commission's Office. I've been doing that every time for the achievement so it helps you stock up.

Yeah I mentioned this earlier but it bears repeating.

The inspections only take a couple of in-game hours, have zero cost, and will net you anywhere from something small but useful for a bad grade to 'eventually you will have more tempering fluid than you will ever need, plus you'll never risk a shortage of Power Stones ever again.'

The inspections are a pain in the rear end I know but do them anyways, the rewards are excellent.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've been doing the inspections and passing then with decent regularity. Really need to get some magnifying glasses at some point for the absolute bullshit ones though.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Sydin posted:

I've been doing the inspections and passing then with decent regularity. Really need to get some magnifying glasses at some point for the absolute bullshit ones though.

So uh maybe most of you know this but I only realized I could rotate the inspection pieces after three in game months. It helps get rid of a few "bullshit" ones that are actually obvious, just on the opposite side of the piece from the original view.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
you can also inspect them before actually clicking on them. their model is accurate in the game world, so if you want a little extra time you can look at them there

you can also zoom in

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh I'm aware, and 99% of flaws so far are definitely noticeable once you look at the object enough. But there are handful of flaws that are incredibly subtle. I only have to use a magnifying glass once every weekend between both days of inspections, but when I do it's for something that I never would have noticed no matter how much I rotated or zoomed.

In other news, there's a new #1 workshop in town, eat poo poo Higgins. :smugdog: Maybe you could keep up if you bothered to have more than two furnaces.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Diving down into the Abandoned Ruins is quite the adventure. It poses so many questions about the ancient Portians. Who were they? What did they do in this place? What secrets did they bury here? And especially, why were they so loving fond of tennis?! :argh:

Tennis is great, you should get into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I was trailing like 2k behind Higgins a week into autumn, and was insisting not bothering. Then I noticed how easy the tunnel stuff was to do, and had like 2 blender commissions in the same week.

Now I'm like 500 behind and I've got a whole week of autumn left and all of winter. Guess I'm doing this.

Anything besides Carbon steel I need to horde before winter hits?