Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I couldn't imagine taking public transportation while lugging all my gear. I rarely drive, since I live in a city with great public transportation and I work from home, but when I started playing hockey, the amount of money I spent on gas per year literally tripled because of all the trips to the rink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It takes me about 35-40 minutes depending on traffic to get to my rink. Only 2 times at most a week for my league though so it's not too bad to deal with.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I drive 25-30 minutes to get to my rink in the next town over. There are local rinks that are only a 5-10 minute drive away with leagues. I lived in the town I drive to and started playing in. I still play there because I like my team and an extra 40-50 minute round trip is worth it per game to play with good dudes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I would find a new hobby if I had to drive an hour each way.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

One summer me and a friend of mine drove 2 hours one way to do 10:30PM drop in up in Charlotte because our local rink had a compressor system that blew out. He worked third so I would drive up there and then he would drive while I slept in the back on the return trip. We did this until our local rink was fixed.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I am located at the ice rink nexus of Pittsburgh. I play on 4 teams at 3 rinks (5 at 4 during the late spring and summer) and still only manage to play about 4 games per fortnight, but all the rinks are only 25-30 mins away. I'm coming up on my 500th adult league game and it is taking so long to get there.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I've got a rink a 10 minute walk from my place but there's no league that plays there, my drives are 20-30 minutes without traffic to hockey, I've played as far as 40 minutes away.

30 minutes is an average hockey drive and my auto mental planning has me leave 1hour before gametimes with the 30 minute drive taken into account, leads to me being early more often then not but I cant break the habit, i got anxious waiting to leave when I lived 10 minutes from the rink I played at a few years ago.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like I picked the wrong position.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/08/sports/hockey/-goalie-ringer-.html

quote:

A musician who plays the vibraphone in a six-person folk band called Beams, Hamilton said he makes more money being a rental goalie than playing music in clubs.

He averages 10 games a week and keeps 40 Canadian dollars per game, paying 10 dollars in commission to a rental agency. His cut works out to about 1,600 Canadian dollars, or $1,220 in United States currency, a month. By his estimate, he has made well over 100,000 dollars in eight years as a rental goalie. And, yes, he said, he declares all of his income on his taxes.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
There's enough of a shortage of goalies in Canada of all places that they're getting paid?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Just a quick reminder that elbow pads suck. I would kill a hobo if I could find some that didn't slide down all the drat time.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

a mysterious cloak posted:

Just a quick reminder that elbow pads suck. I would kill a hobo if I could find some that didn't slide down all the drat time.

My flat elbows say otherwise. If they slide, then they are too big.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

I've had good luck with the Bauer ones that have the Y shaped spandex- like "Anchor Strap" across the inside of the elbow.

Like this

D C fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 10, 2019

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

I'm using CCM Tacks of some sort and I love them - they don't go anywhere and they contour around my forearm nicely. Also when wearing long sleeve under armour type stuff I'll pull the extra fabric that's around my wrists backwards up around the slash guards/forearms. Just another level of not-going-anywhere'ness

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There was a deaf dude at clinic this morning. Kid could loving skate so he's been doing it a while, had a lady that knows ASL help explain the drills.

I bet he learned to play with his head up real goddamn fast.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I'm going to visit the pro shop today while my kid is doing learn to play. I'm using CCM Fitlites, which seem to fit okay, but I bet a better fit on the forearm would be helpful. I want to get an actual base layer shirt too.

xzzy posted:

There was a deaf dude at clinic this morning. Kid could loving skate so he's been doing it a while, had a lady that knows ASL help explain the drills.

I bet he learned to play with his head up real goddamn fast.

Years ago I played with a deaf guy, he was unbelievable. Fast as hell and great hands. His nickname was Radar, of course.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
So I haven't played out in ages, but that's about to change now that my player gear is about to arrive from my parents house in the States. Only problem is they couldn't ship my sticks so I need to buy new ones and while I played in the States I was firmly an Easton guy, but it doesn't appear I can get them here in the UK.

So do any of the Euro-goons know of a place to get sticks/equipment from that isn't Puckstop.com?

And/or everyone else, what's something that's comparable to an Easton Stealth RS/RS II Iglina curve?

real_scud fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 10, 2019

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

real_scud posted:

So I haven't played out in ages, but that's about to change now that my player gear is about to arrive from my parents house in the States. Only problem is they couldn't ship my sticks so I need to buy new ones and while I played in the States I was firmly an Easton guy, but it doesn't appear I can get them here in the UK.

So do any of the Euro-goons know of a place to get sticks/equipment from that isn't Puckstop.com?

And/or everyone else, what's something that's comparable to an Easton Stealth RS/RS II Iglina curve?

Next time I go to London I will bring you your twigs sweetie.

Might be sooner rather than later.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Buy smaller pads, or take a look at elbow pads with three straps.

I have the Easton Mako elbow pads, they aren't made anymore, but any elbow pads with this kind of design should keep them in place nicely. I never have any problems once they're put in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wris9QN4iQY&t=210s

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use a pair of reeboks that are actually the old jofa style, they don't move unless I'm in a big collision. The upper arm portion has less padding than modern stuff but I haven't regretted it yet.

I really miss the reebok/jofa shin guards though. I loved how they strapped on.. one piece of velcro and they stayed put.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I tried a couple different pads on, there weren't any that really thrilled me. Probably just make due until the new stuff comes out.

My son got a new stick (composite, not wood!) , so he's happy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

I use a pair of reeboks that are actually the old jofa style, they don't move unless I'm in a big collision. The upper arm portion has less padding than modern stuff but I haven't regretted it yet.

Yup I have these elbow pads as well. Top strap is elastic which kinda sucks because it stretches out, but the bottom 2 are nylon and stay put the whole game.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

We lost to the team of ringers and reigning league champions 5-1, but the score is a pretty bad indicator of how we played. We took more shots and controlled the puck for longer, but their goalie was insanely good and our goalie is an old dude who hates dropping to his knees. Still, I had a ton of fun and felt like I did pretty well during my time on the ice. My skating is solid, but I falter in how to actually play my position well, since this is the most organized hockey I've ever played.

The other team had a short, fat dude with glasses, clearly the worst player on their team, who would not stop chirping. And I don't mean he chirped a lot. His mouth was running literally the entire game, whether he was on the ice or on the bench, even when one of the refs got ran into and took a header onto the ice, stopping play for a few minutes. I feel bad for his teammates having to deal with his mouth all game and I'm sure in the locker room as well.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We just played a fun game with 7 skaters. Lost 8-4 against a team that felt very evenly matched. Stupid Seattle snow kept 3 players from making it to the game. We honestly just ran out of gas. I was breathing harder after my first shift than I ever have.

I legitimately thought I was going to puke a few times.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

real_scud posted:

https://www.icelocker.co.uk/ is the other main UK based store.

I've also had some luck buying from here before: https://demonxtreme.com/

As an alternative, hockey monkey have an EU operation that ships and is often cheaper than Puckstop: https://www.monkeysports.uk/hockey-player?___store=hm_uk&___from_store=hm_eu

And then there is HockeyOffice who I think are based out in Germany: https://www.hockeyoffice.com/

I've had good experiences dealing with all of the above in the past.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I have some cheap rear end Bauer elbow pads that are like 4 years old and are a 3 strap design. They never move on me and I never notice them.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Here's something I always waffle on: mouthguards. I'm encouraging my son to wear one once his league starts in March, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't lead by example...

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Here's something I always waffle on: mouthguards. I'm encouraging my son to wear one once his league starts in March, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't lead by example...

Yes. And wear a good one.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140501101133.htm

Concussions suck.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wear one under my cage. A good custom molded one from Impact.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I have a Sisu one that I bought several years ago. I love it because it doesn't alter speech that much, a lot easier to speak with it than a normal mouth guard.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've always wondered if it was worth it to wear a mouthguard as a goalie. I'm not exactly getting elbows to the face.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Well... That study aside, unfortunately there's not much quantifiable data about mouthguards affecting concussion rates or severity (in my experience as an orthopedic/sports med nurse). It might mitigate a little bit of the linear acceleration forces, but it does nothing for rotational impacts. If you get cracked square on the chin, your brain will still pretend the inside of your skull is a bounce house. Hope that doesn't come across as douchey.

I'm more concerned about busting teeth out. Teeth are expensive.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

I've always wondered if it was worth it to wear a mouthguard as a goalie. I'm not exactly getting elbows to the face.

I would say it doesn't hurt. Usually it's sticks, headhunting shots, and our D-men shoving the other team awkwardly on top of us at our least flexible, that we have to worry about.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If you don't like the Bauer premium, Mission (not the old equipment manufacturer) sells 37.5 short and long sleeve shirts on Amazon.

Good price and they work great

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Vargatron posted:

I started wearing one after my dentist was confused as to how I cracked a ceramic crown. We came to the conclusion that when I take a heavy shot to the body, I clench my teeth and must've done it hard enough to crack it. That and the shots that get me in the head.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Guys, I think my circa 1992 Sherwood gloves are finished. I am a sad man today.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the other teams goalie quit with like a minute and a half left. no one knew what to do

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Was supposed to have 8 skaters tonight.

7 showed.

Still somehow won against a full as hell bench.
:shrug:
(We are not good and this team had beaten us like 3 straight)

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Duke Chin posted:

Was supposed to have 8 skaters tonight.

7 showed.

Still somehow won against a full as hell bench.
:shrug:
(We are not good and this team had beaten us like 3 straight)

Same but we got crushed, 7-1. At least they were overall nice about it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

bgreman posted:

Same but we got crushed, 7-1. At least they were overall nice about it.
oof sorry. Those are always a pisser.

But honestly that's how I saw our game going today, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe it's juvenile but we played really well against a much better team, still lost, but managed to get the far and away best skater to complain like a big baby so loudly that the commissioner who happened to be watching walked over and told him to STFU.

He did get a bloody nose but it was because he was skating at light speed and steamrolled one of our slower guys. He complains about a high stick but the refs just laughed and he was a salty boy the rest of the night.