Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Lawrence of Arabia is totally the best D U N E movie that currently exists.

Paul is basically a mish-mash of Lawrence of Arabia and the Prophet Muhammed, story-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

the way the butlerain jihad was presented in the prequel books was the least imaginative and boring possible.A bad terminator ripoff but weird brain sex.Just boring as hell.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

In the Lynch film, Leto's chilling in his office on Caladan and says something to the glowglobe to make it dimmer. I've never been able to make it out. Anyone know what it is?

I looked at the script, and it just says "With a VOICE COMMAND".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Secret House Battle Language Alexa, dim

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

hump day bitches! posted:

the way the butlerain jihad was presented in the prequel books was the least imaginative and boring possible.A bad terminator ripoff but weird brain sex.Just boring as hell.

Well it's basically written by a guy who's proud to be Chuck Tingle but without the charm or humor.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

phasmid posted:

Well it's basically written by a guy who's proud to be Chuck Tingle but without the charm or humor.

Pounded in the Butt by the Combined Inner Chorus of My Entire Genetic Ancestry on Spice.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Hi thread. I got this Dune tattoo awhile ago. Enjoy.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The ink must flow.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Armacham posted:

Hi thread. I got this Dune tattoo awhile ago. Enjoy.

4 veins have come to our attention

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

We Fremen have a saying. "God created tattoos to mark the faithful." One cannot go against the word of God.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

What are they going to call the two films?

The first one could just be Dune, but that doesn't indicate that it's only half the story. The second part could be Dune Part II or something similar. That seems lame and generic though, and it's mildly awkward to have a subtitle for the second but not the first, given that we know from that start that there will be two. Dune Part I doesn't have much zing to it, and it's not like the final 2-part Harry Potter or Hunger Games films, where there was already an established series, built-in fanbase, and a history of subtitles in the franchise to begin with.

They could do a non-numeric subtitle, but I don't know what you'd use. The novel is divided in to three Books (Dune, Maud'Dib, The Prophet), but there's no way a studio is going to release something called Dune: Maud'Dib. Maybe you could do Dune and Dune: Prophet, with the hopes of later making Dune Messiah and having it be consistent. Or they could piss off the fans by calling the second film Dune Messiah even though it's presumably only the second half of the first novel.

You could go for a phrase instead, but what? Dune and Dune: Arrakis Rising? Eh. Dune: The Arrakis Revolt? Blah. Everything I can think of is either cheesy and generic, or would never work to bring in a wide audience.

I'd suggest Dune 10191 and Dune 10193. It's not as good as calling the first one just Dune, but it avoids any confusion (and maybe legal troubles?) with the 1984 film and makes both subtitles work together to tell you a little more about the films (it's the far future, dudes) without being hella generic, cheesy, or even mildly spoilery. If they reveal both titles at once, the two year jump also makes a sort of promise to the audience - "we didn't randomly split this thing in half, there's a small but significant time-skip, things come to a thrilling conclusion relatively soon."

I also feel like it would add the sort of fake-historical gravitas that permeates the original novel, with all of Irulan's epigraphs, written after the galactic significance of the events you're reading about are obvious. Like calling two films 1939 and 1945. But maybe that's just me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DUNE 2: DUNE HARDER

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I asked my uncle (he works at Nintendo a movie studio) and he said they were calling it Dune and 2ne.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

DUNE and DUNES

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
D U for the first one and N E for the second one that way the boxed set looks good

e: nm this is way better

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mostly I'm excited because after the first movie comes out, because I have been saving a LOT of jokes about Dune II to make on my way out of the theater. People are going to think I'm extremely funny for suggesting that Paul should have built more tanks.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
DUUNE

executive producer Kevinn J Anderson

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

The Baron did kinda break the meta by spamming Tier I field artillery while excessively bribing the supposedly neutral faction to lend him some Tier IV heavy infantry.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I miss Westwood :(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

sebmojo posted:

DUNER

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
DUNE: THE BEGINNING

DUNE: I HATE SAND!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Dune, Pt. II: He spends a lot of time in a coma in this one, honestly.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

DUNE: I HATE SAND!

that''s the first one though. Then,

DUNE: IT* GETS EVERYWHERE!
*Paul's Other Memory

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Dune and Duner. It's a buddy comedy now.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

DUNE: PRESCIENT BOOGALOO

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

D-unTM
Deux-nTM

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 10, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Dune

and

Dunes

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

In the Lynch film, Leto's chilling in his office on Caladan and says something to the glowglobe to make it dimmer. I've never been able to make it out. Anyone know what it is?

I looked at the script, and it just says "With a VOICE COMMAND".

I've wondered about this, too! I think he says, "Vas" and I thought my dvd said so on the subtitles, but I can't check anymore.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here is the fremen script from the Dune Encyclopedia (authorized by Frank Herbert) free to download:

http://www.oocities.org/timessquare/4965/sffont.html#dunefremen

From the encyclopedia:

"The ancient Arabic script, a naturally cursive script with up to four different forms for each letter (depending on its position — initial, medial, final, or unconnected — in a word), has, through millennia of usage, been streamlined and at times arbitrarily restructured so that it has come to be an alphabetic script with only one form of a letter per sound unit. This latest innovation was attributed to the planetologist Liet- Kynes during his stay on Arrakis with the Fremen tribes. Other prior innovations included the introduction of symbols to represent vowels (ancient Arabic script indicated short vowels only by infrequently used diacritical marks), attributed to Ali Ben Ohasi and later modified by the Fremen in the first copies of their desert survival manual, the Kitab al-Ibar. The Fremen script in use during the time of Muad'Dib is shown below. Many of the values of the old Arabic letters have been reassigned, while some new symbols have been contrived from existing letters, and there has apparently been at least some totally arbitrary assignment of the letters themselves. The script runs right to left, although some Fremen dialects reportedly wrote boustrophedon ("as the ox plows," that is, right to left in the first line, left to right in the second, and so on), such as the Fremen of the Sihaya Ridge. The Shadda, or "strengthening" mark w indicates a doubled consonant.

The coming of the prophet Paul Muad'Dib raised Fremen language and culture from its humble Zensunni roots to a short-lived but brilliant eminence throughout the galaxy. It served as the sacred language of Paul's Imperium and theology, as the language of philosophy, law, and education. It was a flowering that surprised everyone but the Fremen."

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 10, 2019

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Defiance Industries posted:

I asked my uncle (he works at Nintendo a movie studio) and he said they were calling it Dune and 2ne.

But D1NE and D2NE can just keep on going (once people get beyond not calling the first one “Dine”.)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ratatozsk posted:

But D1NE and D2NE can just keep on going (once people get beyond not calling the first one “Dine”.)

Dine... Navajo planet

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dune Author

bij
Feb 24, 2007

phasmid posted:

I miss Westwood :(

They called out @DuneAuthor like 20 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtF_3ErtvA0

Edit: Twice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dyNFhNP5Vg

bij fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 10, 2019

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

when is the green brain movie coming out

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

free hubcaps posted:

when is the green brain movie coming out

I want a movie of The Dosadi Experiment.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zopotantor posted:

I want a movie of The Dosadi Experiment.

I want whipping star, where an actual literal star gets whipped by a lizard with a whip

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I want the timeline where Dune was a standalone novel and Whipping Star got 5 sequels.

And Destination Void was made into a landmark film eclipsing 2001.

Better Skynet than Ship

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sebmojo posted:

DUNE 2: WORM HARDER. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Prolonged Priapism posted:

What are they going to call the two films?

The first one could just be Dune, but that doesn't indicate that it's only half the story. The second part could be Dune Part II or something similar. That seems lame and generic though, and it's mildly awkward to have a subtitle for the second but not the first, given that we know from that start that there will be two. Dune Part I doesn't have much zing to it, and it's not like the final 2-part Harry Potter or Hunger Games films, where there was already an established series, built-in fanbase, and a history of subtitles in the franchise to begin with.

They could do a non-numeric subtitle, but I don't know what you'd use. The novel is divided in to three Books (Dune, Maud'Dib, The Prophet), but there's no way a studio is going to release something called Dune: Maud'Dib. Maybe you could do Dune and Dune: Prophet, with the hopes of later making Dune Messiah and having it be consistent. Or they could piss off the fans by calling the second film Dune Messiah even though it's presumably only the second half of the first novel.

You could go for a phrase instead, but what? Dune and Dune: Arrakis Rising? Eh. Dune: The Arrakis Revolt? Blah. Everything I can think of is either cheesy and generic, or would never work to bring in a wide audience.

I'd suggest Dune 10191 and Dune 10193. It's not as good as calling the first one just Dune, but it avoids any confusion (and maybe legal troubles?) with the 1984 film and makes both subtitles work together to tell you a little more about the films (it's the far future, dudes) without being hella generic, cheesy, or even mildly spoilery. If they reveal both titles at once, the two year jump also makes a sort of promise to the audience - "we didn't randomly split this thing in half, there's a small but significant time-skip, things come to a thrilling conclusion relatively soon."

I also feel like it would add the sort of fake-historical gravitas that permeates the original novel, with all of Irulan's epigraphs, written after the galactic significance of the events you're reading about are obvious. Like calling two films 1939 and 1945. But maybe that's just me.

Dune, and Dune II: The Battle For Arrakis :imunfunny: