Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

"The Face" made me think of all the Dick Tracy villains.

https://www.dicktracymuseum.com/new-page-1/

Which in turn reminded me of all of The Tick's villains.

https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Category:The_Tick_Villains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
What was that series, I can't remember if it was vertigo or image, but their powers were being able to talk to art or animate it or interact with it in some fashion?

All this talk of weird powers reminded me of it and I remember enjoying it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Most of the characters in John Layman and Rob Guillory's Image series Chew have food-related super powers. The protagonist, Tony Chu, is a cibopath, who gets psychic impressions from anything he eats. He uses those powers as an FDA Agent to solve food-related crimes. His girlfriend is a saboscrivner, a successful food critic who writes about food with such clarity and detail that her readers share the taste sensations she describes just by reading her work. (This inspired me to create a food blog of my own called The Saboscrivner, after seeking Layman's blessing on Twitter.)

This Takeout article (from the media group that owns The AV Club) writes a really good synopsis of Chew:
https://thetakeout.com/chew-s-hero-bit-into-people-and-also-our-culinary-obse-1798252855

CBR compiled the 15 weirdest food-based super powers from Chew:
https://www.cbr.com/chew-on-this-the-15-weirdest-food-based-powers-in-chew/

And as much as I dislike citing Wikipedia, the Chew article includes a list of all the other food-related powers, which get quite esoteric:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chew_(comics)#Food-Related_Powers

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 8, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Most of the characters in John Layman and Rob Guillory's Image series Chew have food-related super powers. The protagonist, Tony Chu, is a cibopath, who gets psychic impressions from anything he eats. He uses those powers as an FDA Agent to solve food-related crimes. His girlfriend is a saboscrivner, a successful food critic who writes about food with such clarity and detail that her readers share the taste sensations she describes just by reading her work. (This inspired me to create a food blog of my own called The Saboscrivner, after seeking Layman's blessing on Twitter.)

This Takeout article (from the media group that owns The AV Club) writes a really good synopsis of Chew:
https://thetakeout.com/chew-s-hero-bit-into-people-and-also-our-culinary-obse-1798252855

And as much as I dislike citing Wikipedia, the Chew article includes a list of all the other food-related powers, which get quite esoteric:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chew_(comics)#Food-Related_Powers

I was going to mention Chew but I knew you would show up and do a better job than I could!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CityMidnightJunky posted:

What's the weirdest/most original/bizarre power you've read about in comics? Maybe I'm just a bit tired of 'punches really hard' and 'shoots lazers', but I personally love reading about powers that are so out there it keeps you up at night with existential questions about how the gently caress these people function. Forget-me-not would be a good example, or the guy with two sentient worms that follow him around.

There is the Brown Bomber, a racist white dude whose super power is turning into a black man. His existence is...problematic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

Damnit, I was trying to find the DC character who had a face in his torso but I can't find anything about him. I swear he exists. I think he even hit on Donna Troy or Starfire in a creepy way.

He hit on basically every female character, but most notably asked Ms. Martian to turn into a giant vagina so he could perform oral sex on her, at which point she punched him, and then he shot lasers from his eyes and was kicked out the Titans.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's actually pretty creative.

Yeah, Silverblade was a fun series.

If we're doing comedy characters, Scott Meyer's Basic Instructions occasionally featured a character called Omnipresent Man, whose power was being everywhere at the same time. His nemesis was Mr. Everywhere, who had the same power.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

There is the Brown Bomber, a racist white dude whose super power is turning into a black man. His existence is...problematic.

Naturally, it was Dwayne McDuffie who brought him back.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CityMidnightJunky posted:

What's the weirdest/most original/bizarre power you've read about in comics? Maybe I'm just a bit tired of 'punches really hard' and 'shoots lazers', but I personally love reading about powers that are so out there it keeps you up at night with existential questions about how the gently caress these people function. Forget-me-not would be a good example, or the guy with two sentient worms that follow him around.

There was a time when Venom and Carnage were able to travel through phone lines and the internet.

There's a team called Secret Weapons made up of people with what were considered worthless powers. One guy has the power to have objects appear in his hands, either on purpose or randomly, but he can't control what the object is. It's more apparent later on that these objects are all important to his future survival in one way or another. Then the team comes across a guy whose power is looking at objects and seeing who they originally belonged to. He makes note that all the conjured objects aren't pulled from elsewhere, but purely exist out of thin air.

In the Harbinger Renegades, there's a guy named Torque. In his normal form, he's a teenager who doesn't have use of his legs. With his powers, he's covered in a psychic shell that turns him into the jacked Mary Sue version of himself from his fantasies. Normally, that would be a pretty cut-and-dry power, but there's a time when he gets in a relationship with team member Faith and becomes less of an insensitive prick. It appears that his powers feed off his toxic masculinity as his appearance becomes less bulky and closer to a swimmer's build. This also makes him weaker and after a team member dies, Torque is found in hiding in the form of a giant, as if he can't control his need to overcompensate.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Random Stranger posted:

Naturally, it was Dwayne McDuffie who brought him back.

"CPT"?

I'm sure it's nothing good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

"CPT"?

I'm sure it's nothing good.

colored people time

originally the panel in the middle of the last row had him asking if this meant he was allowed to say the n-word, which they didn't allow in the final printing but they also didn't rewrite her response so it's kind of disjointed

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Alaois posted:

colored people time

originally the panel in the middle of the last row had him asking if this meant he was allowed to say the n-word, which they didn't allow in the final printing but they also didn't rewrite her response so it's kind of disjointed

OK, yeah that explains the panel a bit better.

Though I guess I expected it to be somehow worse. Like "Black people are only capable of doing work for an hour, get it?" kind of thing

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's a racist term meaning black people are constantly late so you have to adjust your expectations on them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alaois posted:

colored people time

I think it kind of works, since it's still really clear what he's fishing for in the silent panel.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nessus posted:

I think it kind of works, since it's still really clear what he's fishing for in the silent panel.

I didn't know about the missing word balloon and it still worked perfectly for me since I always read it as a stunned response to CPT.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

Fortunately Tony Isabella had a lot more sense than editorial at DC when approached to write the Bomber's 'adventures' in the 70's. He asked the pointed question 'do we really want our new black super hero to be a white bigot?' Happily Isabella went on to create Black Lightning instead.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

frodnonnag posted:

Where's the modern pages of this guy?

Turns out that getting demons for hands was a bad idea.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Everyone's favorite character Rockslide has the power to blow himself up which is weird.

His real power is an overactive imagination.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You gonna say that and not post the page?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Has Superman ever been in a videogame where he had alternate costumes? Been reading through the Byrne Man of Steel volumes and his Savior outfit when he's leading the Hunger Dogs on Apokolips is a cool one.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 10, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lobok posted:

Has Superman ever been in a videogame where he had alternate costumes? Been reading through the Byrne Man of Steel volumes and his Savior outfit when he's leading the Hunger Dogs on Apokolips is a cool one.

The late '80s Superman arcade game (a side-scrolling beat-'em-up) had the Player 2 Superman in a costume with the red and blue switched. I loved that it existed, and I was enough of a nerd even back then (elementary school) to refer to that character as Mon-El.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lobok posted:

The Injustice games.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The late '80s Superman arcade game (a side-scrolling beat-'em-up) had the Player 2 Superman in a costume with the red and blue switched. I loved that it existed, and I was enough of a nerd even back then (elementary school) to refer to that character as Mon-El.

Player 2 was red tights with a silver cape. I remember hearing people say that it was supposed to be a stealth Shazam inclusion. Kind of like how Marvel vs. Capcom had Red Venom and Orange Hulk.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gavok posted:

The Injustice games.

Player 2 was red tights with a silver cape. I remember hearing people say that it was supposed to be a stealth Shazam inclusion. Kind of like how Marvel vs. Capcom had Red Venom and Orange Hulk.

I haven't played it in about 30 years, so I got that wrong! But I'm sure I thought of him as Captain Marvel at different points as well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lobok posted:

Yep, there's several Superman games where he has alternate costumes, though there is yet to be a Superman game worth playing.

The Superman Returns game offers a couple of alternative costumes: a golden age variation and a black post-resurrection suit.

Similarly, the Death and Return of Superman game has that same outfit show up in game.

Superman: The Man of Steel (which predates the movie by about ten years) has the same black suit with mullet (and you can have the mullet with the normal costume as another alternative), Superman Red/Blue outfits, Kal-L, and I think an Our Worlds at War black S symbol.

In Justice League Heroes, you've got the black suit yet again, golden age, and the outfit from Godfall.

The Injustice games have a ton of alternate costumes for Superman and shockingly no versions of the black suit. So besides his normal game outfit which I'd might call an alternate costume given how lovely the redesigned game costumes are, there's a New 52, Red Son, and Godfall outfit in the original game. Injustice 2 allows for wearing a variety of different costume pieces and has a lot of color schemes, but I wouldn't really call them "alternate costumes". But you can dress him as Ultraman or Bizarro.

After all that, speaking as someone who owns all of the Superman games, don't. They're pretty bad. They're not all Superman 64 bad, but Injustice are the only ones that I'd really call "playable".

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Flying was kinda cool in the Returns game. Not much else though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think part of the issue with Superman is that, with video games part of the challenge is that you have vulnerabilities. So developers have to come up with reasons for Supes to be vulnerable and so far we've not had any developers who care enough about Supes or think to enlist people who do, so they can come up with something.

Personally, I'd roll with "Gets captured by Darkseid, has to escape Apokolips". You can come up with reasons to have him weakened from there. I know they did a game with Apokolips stuff, but the game stank of half-assery. Throw in Barda and Miracle as allies for multiplayer or something. You can have Fourth World characters like Kalibak, Granny Goodness, Vermin Wunderbar, etc. as bosses. Maybe even a mind controlled Orion.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 11, 2019

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Yep, there's several Superman games where he has alternate costumes, though there is yet to be a Superman game worth playing.

Hmph.

Atari Superman did deal with the "Superman needs vulnerabilities" aspect by making it a completely nonviolent game where you just raced the clock -- the bad guys could slow you down, but not hurt you.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Selachian posted:

Hmph.

Atari Superman did deal with the "Superman needs vulnerabilities" aspect by making it a completely nonviolent game where you just raced the clock -- the bad guys could slow you down, but not hurt you.

2600 Superman is technically impressive for a game from 1979, but it suffers from the problems of Atari adventure games where they combine being obtuse with shallowness entirely due to the platform's limitations. Even in the early 80's, it wasn't one of the 2600 games people were interested in because understanding the game made it trivial and boring. But I'll agree that it's a reasonable approach to having Superman in a video game.

That game is still in the upper half of the Superman games, though. The Kemco developed Superman for the NES has similar problems with being an obtuse adventure game on a platform not really designed for it, and adds in a lot of other misery (also, you only get the John Williams score if you play the Japanese version). The Genesis game plays like stabbing yourself in the genitals repeatedly. The best thing about the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube games is that they occasionally rise to the level of blandly mediocre.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Selachian posted:

Hmph.

So this is where the storyline for Superman Returns comes ftom

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

What is the first appearance of the iconic Superman pose where he’s pulling open a buttoned shirt to reveal the costume?

edit: well i thought i couldn’t google it but then i found an article: https://www.cbr.com/superman-open-shirt-costume-debut/

looks like superman #11 is pretty drat close to the typical shot

Ror fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 12, 2019

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think part of the issue with Superman is that, with video games part of the challenge is that you have vulnerabilities. So developers have to come up with reasons for Supes to be vulnerable and so far we've not had any developers who care enough about Supes or think to enlist people who do, so they can come up with something.

I can't remember the title at the moment, but there was a Superman game on the DS where the player is invulnerable and instead it's the city itself that has a lifebar. I though that was a pretty good way to handle things.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know it's unconventional for a brawler game but I don't think Superman should have any HP or a life bar in a videogame. The wrestling games I played years ago had a kind of momentum system or tug-of-war gauge so that you and your opponent could trade attacks and stay even with one another. It was only when one wrestler was able to string a series of successful attacks together that they got an edge on the other wrestler, and even then a wrestler wouldnt go down through chip damage but had to be defeated through a submission move. Using that as a basis for Superman you could make it so that Superman never dies, especially not to weak attacks, but getting yourself out of a hole when you're behind in a fight and actually winning can still be difficult.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Potsticker posted:

I can't remember the title at the moment, but there was a Superman game on the DS where the player is invulnerable and instead it's the city itself that has a lifebar. I though that was a pretty good way to handle things.

Superman Returns!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cheers!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ror posted:

What is the first appearance of the iconic Superman pose where he’s pulling open a buttoned shirt to reveal the costume?

edit: well i thought i couldn’t google it but then i found an article: https://www.cbr.com/superman-open-shirt-costume-debut/

looks like superman #11 is pretty drat close to the typical shot

Lois slips Clark a roofie in one of the early Action Comics stories.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Can Drax the Destroyer fly around and shoot lazer beams out of his hands in the modern Gurdians comics?

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Nah. His powers got reconfigured when his look did in his pre-Annihilation series. He’s more knifey-jumpy now, basically like the movies

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Benito Cereno posted:

Nah. His powers got reconfigured when his look did in his pre-Annihilation series. He’s more knifey-jumpy now, basically like the movies

A lot stronger than the movies, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

But can he turn invisible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so, to kinda tangent off the chat thread convo, i've never really dug into the avengers pre-secret wars 2015, besides as tie-ins for event stuff like civil war etc, and im curious as to what are like some good avengers stories that arentt crossover/event tie-in/blah blah blah related, if there even are any