Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
that's strange, since there isn't a joint under your chest muscles(i'm assuming you mean in your chest and not close to your shoulder), other than whatever you consider the sternum. I know some people get sternum pops that are supposedly harmless, does it feel like something in your sternum? Have you tried any pec stretches? When you work out a muscle, especially if you aren't used to it, it's normal for them to get pretty tight afterward so perhaps that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I have never done pec stretches no. I will try to stretch them out the next few days to see if it helps.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Neither I nor most people ITT are going to want to diagnose every hypochondriac worry a new lifter has but just remember:

1) It's very unlikely that you seriously hurt yourself
2) Complete rest is detrimental. Unless you literally broke a bone or have a complete tear or your ankle is the size of a softball, continuing to perform the problematic movements, perhaps modified (reduction of weight counts as a modification, too) to avoid worsening symptoms, is the most beneficial. If it is able, your body adapts to stress imposed on it, and will de-adapt when there is an absence of stress.
3) If you are able to do the movement you are trying to do correctly, even with zero weight, that is the best "stretch" or "mobility work" for that movement. Trying to "fix" things with stretches and foam rolling and whatever is usually a waste of time.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Thanks for your patronising reply but I am not a new lifter and I have seriously hurt myself in the past.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Buller posted:

Thanks for your patronising reply but I am not a new lifter and I have seriously hurt myself in the past.

If you write you started from scratch an call the chest press machine "machine sit down push forwards that hit the chest", then don't be huffy if we assume you to be a noobie. :ocelot:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Buller posted:

"also Buller" posted:

Ive been doing machine sit down push forwards that hit the chest and ive been doing it with 10 kg on each arm. Now when i do diagonal pull down i

can u see how this terminology might lead people to think u don't know what the gently caress ur doin'

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol if your routine doesn't have sit down push forwards and stand up pull towards

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Sit down kick forwards really blast my quads

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chief McHeath posted:

Sit down kick forwards really blast my quads

love to finish my shoulder-mounted uppie-downies with some sit-down leg squeezers

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
just rippin sit down push backs, buddy

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Saw a guy doing a dick up push forward on the smith what's up with that?

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Full glute rollups
Side scoots

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/grandpa-cenegenics-ripped/2/

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Buller posted:

It's still good advice though?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Buller posted:

you're fine

that crunching it most likely just irritation or adhesion in the pectoral sheath. is it more lateral or medial? meaning is it closer to the middle of your chest or closer to your armpit?

just because there's no pain now doesn't mean pain won't develop. invest in a lacross ball, lay on your stomach, and put your chest into that ball on a hard floor. move around so the ball moves around, and give yourself a massage with it.

also stop using machines and learn how to use proper weights. if you're doing bench with a bar there's no reason to use accessory iso machines.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

you're fine

that crunching it most likely just irritation or adhesion in the pectoral sheath. is it more lateral or medial? meaning is it closer to the middle of your chest or closer to your armpit?

just because there's no pain now doesn't mean pain won't develop. invest in a lacross ball, lay on your stomach, and put your chest into that ball on a hard floor. move around so the ball moves around, and give yourself a massage with it.

also stop using machines and learn how to use proper weights. if you're doing bench with a bar there's no reason to use accessory iso machines.

It is more towards the middle of my chest.

I stopped using the bench because my upper body is twisted towards my right and therefore I can never do an even press on the bar. As soon as I start to get real weight on the bar this becomes a problem. I used to therefore do dips and pullups as my main excersise but havent been able to for a few years because of joint and sinew pain.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m assuming dick-ups are a kind of no-hands push-up

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
i need to do some bar back stand ups today, probably some bar floor pick ups as well

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Der Shovel posted:

Well that’s a relief, cheers guys. I guess it’s back to dip city then!

And lesson learned about believing lifting forums... aside from this lifting forum?

lol @ believing anything posted on SA.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to doing machine sit down push forwards that hit the chest?

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

Metanaut posted:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to doing machine sit down push forwards that hit the chest?

Um. Wut?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Metanaut posted:

uh...for drop sets at the end of my chest routine...yes

drop set pain fkin owns

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chinatown posted:

uh...for drop sets at the end of my chest routine...yes

drop set pain fkin owns

Oh in the gently caress did you translate that?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Oh in the gently caress did you translate that?

i basically got "seated push forwards chest" so that to me is the seated chest press machine :shrug:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Metanaut posted:

I too like to put my hair into a ponytail but don't.

15/f/Ca
May 4, 2004
hav pix

Der Shovel posted:

I've been going to the gym seriously for ~3 months now, and I relatively recently discovered the magic of vertical dips. Since I'm still 100+ kg there's no way I could do them without assistance, and so I've been using one of those assisted pull up machines that also has handles for dips.

They were fun to do and seemed to hit my delts and triceps pretty hard, so I basically did three sets of 12 reps at 60 kg every other day at the gym. Except now there's a problem: I noticed the other day this dull but significant pain in the middle of my chest, between my pecs, while doing dips. Reading up on it, some people suggested that might be my pectoral muscle starting to tear off my sternum, which is something I'd like to avoid.

When I do them next (after letting my chest heal for at least a week or so), I will pay extra attention to my form. I've already been trying to stop myself from going below parallel arms, but I'll also try to make sure I remain as vertical as possible to prevent the move from stretching my chest too much. But is that enough? Some people suggested that dips should be an occasional treat, and certainly not something you do 36 reps of every other day, and that way injury lies regardless of form.

Thoughts?

I had similar symptoms from doing dips and ultimately chalked it up to costochondritis. Not a doctor though.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
i woke up and it was snowy, so i did hundreds of bent scoopy throwies with alternating forward arm for time

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I felt my calves touch my hamstrings during speed front squats. Mobility training works friends.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

The one good thing I can say about volume training is how much I can eat and stay lean.

Think I'm gonna hit 175 for the first time in like 3 years soon.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Mustached Demon posted:

I felt my calves touch my hamstrings during speed front squats. Mobility training works friends.

What the hell are you talking about? Do you mean standing sit-downs?

I've never done those with livestock before before.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dreadite posted:

i woke up and it was snowy, so i did hundreds of bent scoopy throwies with alternating forward arm for time

i did a habitat for humanity a few months back where i basically shoveled and jeckhammered hard rocky dirt all day

i was almost cripplingly sore for the next few days

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Metanaut posted:

hahaha i get it

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
ps. If u don't get it then skip to 4:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9y1hCv-4aA

e. lol 420 :420:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I was lifting weights and I realized all the skin on my entire body was falling off, is this because I didn't use the correct liniments or is it some other thing causing this? it also affects my face and rear end btw.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
gonna need to consult your lich manual for that one i think

edit: were any priests nearby? its possible one blessed your sweat and turned it into holy water

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Killing Loaf posted:

gonna need to consult your lich manual for that one i think

edit: were any priests nearby? its possible one blessed your sweat and turned it into holy water

Or a jerkass holy man didn't wipe down the bench after he used it

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I was lifting weights and I realized all the skin on my entire body was falling off, is this because I didn't use the correct liniments or is it some other thing causing this? it also affects my face and rear end btw.

I remember this happening to a TCC goon after they injected some russian test chemical to get high

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Chief McHeath posted:

Saw a guy doing a dick up push forward on the smith what's up with that?

He only got one rep right?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I gotta do like 300 dick ups before I get the final pump

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

snowstorm closed my gym :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I was out of the gym for a week with the flu. Everything today was a loving grind.