Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I like how with this one, someone actually calls their bullshit.

Also, maybe this is a tiny thing I just can't move past, but "my niece and I's hair" is wrong on so many levels. Instead of trying to sound like your grammar is better than it really is, just say, "our hair." I don't even care that it's STDH. The least a STDH writer could do is write properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

life is killing me posted:

I like how with this one, someone actually calls their bullshit.

Also, maybe this is a tiny thing I just can't move past, but "my niece and I's hair" is wrong on so many levels. Instead of trying to sound like your grammar is better than it really is, just say, "our hair." I don't even care that it's STDH. The least a STDH writer could do is write properly.

Maybe she should have asked the 6-month-old to write the post.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I actually had kind of the opposite happen to me a few times when I was a young bloke working at petrol stations.

Someone would ask if we carried whatever product, I'd say, no, and they'd ask it any other places in the area had it.

I'd say, "Sorry I have no idea" and they'd lose their poo poo at me.

How dare I not know what products are stocked at our competitors/their current deals/prices :argh:

I think there's a special place in hell for people who expect exemplary service from minimum wage employees

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I actually had kind of the opposite happen to me a few times when I was a young bloke working at petrol stations.

Someone would ask if we carried whatever product, I'd say, no, and they'd ask it any other places in the area had it.

I'd say, "Sorry I have no idea" and they'd lose their poo poo at me.

How dare I not know what products are stocked at our competitors/their current deals/prices :argh:

I used to get that too. Not mad necessarily, but frustrated. Like because I'm stocking shelves in the stationary/crafts section for minimum wage, I'm supposed to be an expert on the whole department. Like, lady, this is a big box. I can't tell you everything this store carries, much less the Michael's that's literally across the street. It'll take you longer to walk from here to your car than to drive there. Just go loving look.

Sorry, I haven't worked retail in a few years but I still can't help but rant about it.

e. And yes, this was after everyone was carrying smartphones and free wifi popped up everywhere.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

something something articulate

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bike tory posted:

I think there's a special place in hell for people who expect exemplary service from minimum wage employees

One of the local movie theaters started doing bag checks and like any good movie patron we were sneaking in drinks because gently caress paying theater prices.

The girl looked at us and admitted she didn't give a gently caress about what concessions we were sneaking in just that she wanted to make sure we didn't have a gun.

I don't understand the logic behind underpaying staff and expecting them to give a poo poo. But that's a rant for a different thread

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yeah the logic of minimum wage = minimum effort seems to escape a lot of people.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Biplane posted:

Yeah the logic of minimum wage = minimum effort seems to escape a lot of people.

Hell I make an almost living wage and I still barely care. I care in the ways that don't get me yelled at. But there's things I'm supposed to do like extra billing fees that I don't.

My company doesn't give me a bonus so why do I care if there's an extra $30 fee on an order? I'm not seeing any of it.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Araenna posted:

e. And yes, this was after everyone was carrying smartphones and free wifi popped up everywhere.

This is the worst part. So many online stores exist now, they could check what places have what stock before leaving home. They could even do that before the internet existed by making a phone call. I get the feeling these kinds of people have never worked in retail because they seem to think everything they want will be in stock whenever they want it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The actual worst is other retail employees who take there job Very Seriously, and need you to be working on Company Protocol.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Turtlicious posted:

The actual worst is other retail employees who take there job Very Seriously, and need you to be working on Company Protocol.

They're traitors and will be the second against the wall when the revolution comes.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Biplane posted:

You should be grateful you have a job, parasite! Now stop slacking off or I'll strangle you with your own saggy bootstraps! :whip:

Seriously, minimum wage employers are scum except if they are literally tiny independent businesses that genuinely and truly can't afford more, in which case the owner drat well better also be making minimum wage.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

TheMostFrench posted:

This is the worst part. So many online stores exist now, they could check what places have what stock before leaving home.

Ever used the lowes.com site for that?

STDH is the website being correct.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

PhotoKirk posted:

Ever used the lowes.com site for that?

STDH is the website being correct.

Try finding it in the store if it's not on the shelf, but walmart.com says it's in stock. Good luck

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Zipperelli. posted:

Try finding it in the store if it's not on the shelf, but walmart.com says it's in stock. Good luck

Same except Target. I have about a 40% success rate with that.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Zipperelli. posted:

I was in the store. They scanned the skp on the shelf, the system said 6 on the floor. The shelf was empty. I got a weak shrug and a blank gaze.

I’m not going to make a retail workers day lovely by going off, but come on. Any guesses where they are, or does your store suffer from massive amounts of theft?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Indolent Bastard posted:

I was in the store. They scanned the skp on the shelf, the system said 6 on the floor. The shelf was empty. I got a weak shrug and a blank gaze.

I’m not going to make a retail workers day lovely by going off, but come on. Any guesses where they are, or does your store suffer from massive amounts of theft?

Honestly probably that. When I worked at Walmart the year ended and they did their big inventory and found that our store had a million dollars worth of missing inventory.

But hey you don't even have to shop at Walmart now. They have that system where you order it and then make a drone go pull it off the shelf for you so all you have to do is walk in, get your bag, and leave

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Indolent Bastard posted:

Chances are either the online thing just didn't update or someone else had picked it up and put it down in the wrong department and no one will know until the after hours cleanup.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Also always a chance another sort has them in their cart, depending on the item.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

You could always ask them to go check in the back, offering them a chance for a nice smoke break.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Here is some stdh: I recently had to buy a book at the bookstore.

Amazon didn't have it and I needed it before Christmas. B&N's website said there was stock at the location closest to me so I went. I asked an employee to help me find it. He looked it up in the system and says "Well it says we have 3 but there are also 8 back orders for it which might mean the inventory is wrong and we don't have any." I was all set to be pissed about driving out to them based on their crappy inventory system but we went to the shelf and there were 3 sitting there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zero One posted:

Here is some stdh: I recently had to buy a book at the bookstore.

Amazon didn't have it and I needed it before Christmas. B&N's website said there was stock at the location closest to me so I went. I asked an employee to help me find it. He looked it up in the system and says "Well it says we have 3 but there are also 8 back orders for it which might mean the inventory is wrong and we don't have any." I was all set to be pissed about driving out to them based on their crappy inventory system but we went to the shelf and there were 3 sitting there.

I wonder if they are using SAP?

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The_White_Crane posted:

You should be grateful you have a job, parasite! Now stop slacking off or I'll strangle you with your own saggy bootstraps! :whip:

Seriously, minimum wage employers are scum except if they are literally tiny independent businesses that genuinely and truly can't afford more, in which case the owner drat well better also be making minimum wage.

Nah, if you can't afford to pay more than minimum wage, you can't afford to be in business. Being a struggling small business owner doesn't make minimum wage easier to live on.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Araenna posted:

Nah, if you can't afford to pay more than minimum wage, you can't afford to be in business. Being a struggling small business owner doesn't make minimum wage easier to live on.

Wait so how should the business owner gather enough money to pay higher wages if they aren't allowed to open a business that pays only minimum wage

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Businesses don't exist to provide a living for their employees, they exist to make a profit. It's nice if they can do both and if they can they should, but a business that pays more than minimum wage when they can't afford to isn't a business, it's a charity.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Businesses don't exist to provide a living for their employees, they exist to make a profit. It's nice if they can do both and if they can they should, but a business that pays more than minimum wage when they can't afford to isn't a business, it's a charity.

That and it won't exist if it pays out more than it can afford to, and then nobody has a job :(

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

A business that stays open while only paying minimum wage is being subsidized by the charity of its employees.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tendales posted:

A business that stays open while only paying minimum wage is being subsidized by the charity of its employees.

That doesn't really hold. If they fired their minimum wage employees they probably wouldn't say "oh well, it's a shame this company I supported didn't work out, I'll move on to another worthy cause", they'll freak out because they are no longer making any money.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

That doesn't really hold. If they fired their minimum wage employees they probably wouldn't say "oh well, it's a shame this company I supported didn't work out, I'll move on to another worthy cause", they'll freak out because they are no longer making any money.

And? That just means they're coerced into working for less than their time is worth. It doesn't change the fact that the difference between minimum wage and what people actually need to be paid is free money for the employer at the cost of the employee. If you can't afford to pay your workers what they're worth, your business has already failed and is being propped up on the back of your underpaid employees.

You can totally argue that small businesses SHOULD be subsidized somehow. But you know who really can't afford that financial burden? Minimum wage workers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's also a government subsidy in that their employees often receive government assistance.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It's also a government subsidy in that their employees often receive government assistance.

Ya this is the thing most people ignore. Most countries need to provide income assistance to its lowest income earners, so the only reason they can employ people that cheaply (and pocket the resulting profits) is because the government tops up the wages.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

If minimum wage is a livable wage in your area then there's nothing wrong with paying minimum wage. If minimum wage is not a livable wage and you can afford to pay your employees better then you are scum for paying poverty wages to pad your own salary. If can't afford to pay better your business is poo poo and deserves to fail, or should be receiving direct government subsidies.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Araenna posted:

See, I have a problem with blaming employers for doing what’s legal and not going above and beyond. It’s a shaming tactic that feels good in the moment, but it does nothing to actually improve the situation. If the minimum wage is not livable, the answer is to raise the minimum wage, not to yell at people who pay it. Maybe you can get a couple employers to pay better, but the majority will always pay as little as they can get away with.

In addition, treating “minimum wage” as a badge of shame sort of reinforces this idea that it’s not supposed to be a living wage. If it were at an appropriate level, there’d be nothing wrong with making minimum wage. But saying that no business should pay valuable employees that much feeds into the idea that minimum wage jobs are only for teenagers and part time workers.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Jurgan posted:

See, I have a problem with blaming employers for doing what’s legal and not going above and beyond.

Paying minimum wage just means "if I could pay you less and not get in trouble, I would"

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Jurgan posted:

See, I have a problem with blaming employers for doing what’s legal and not going above and beyond.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's moral. People who do immoral things like paying a wage that people can't live on are immoral scum and should be treated as such. Changing the laws is a good idea, but it takes a lot of time and work and doesn't do poo poo for people trapped in these situations currently.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
doctors won't tell you this one weird trick

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jurgan posted:

See, I have a problem with blaming employers for doing what’s legal and not going above and beyond. It’s a shaming tactic that feels good in the moment, but it does nothing to actually improve the situation. If the minimum wage is not livable, the answer is to raise the minimum wage, not to yell at people who pay it. Maybe you can get a couple employers to pay better, but the majority will always pay as little as they can get away with.
It's both. You should pay your employees a livable wage even if not required to, or else you're scum. Minimum wage exists to account for the business owners who are unrepentant scum, and to allow the ones who aren't to remain competitive.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Splicer posted:

It's both. You should pay your employees a livable wage even if not required to, or else you're scum. Minimum wage exists to account for the business owners who are unrepentant scum, and to allow the ones who aren't to remain competitive.

My dad is a small business owner who pays his employees crap wages. He also works about 13 hours a day, six days a week and about four hours on Sundays. He barely lives above the poverty line himself and is one catastrophic illness away from losing everything. He's also 63 and will probably have to work until he is dead. Yes, he is a Republican.
The United States is terrible for anyone who isn't already rich.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aleph Null posted:

My dad is a small business owner who pays his employees crap wages. He also works about 13 hours a day, six days a week and about four hours on Sundays. He barely lives above the poverty line himself and is one catastrophic illness away from losing everything. He's also 63 and will probably have to work until he is dead. Yes, he is a Republican.
The United States is terrible for anyone who isn't already rich.

He’s admirable, but the truth is his is a failed business. It should be dead and he and his employees should be working elsewhere, or be being supported anyway by the government because they are human beings in the richest country on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He’s admirable, but the truth is his is a failed business. It should be dead and he and his employees should be working elsewhere, or be being supported anyway by the government because they are human beings in the richest country on earth.

I think op is from the USA, Edgar Allen Ho. You have bad views of economics.