Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

bagrada posted:

Do hunters have battle cry abilities? Just wondering if a dwarf or elf hunter would shout the callouts that are either the best or most annoying part of leveling one depending on your tolerance.

As far as I know they only have one ability like that which is a single target ~15sec fear. I think it is called "Cry of the Predator" or something like that, but I haven't played a hunter in quite a while so something else might've been added at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I don't think I ever heard my hunter scream the entire time I played it, so if that one skill does a cry, I just never felt the need to use it. Things were usually dead before I had to scare them away.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Alt+R
Sound tab
Press record
Use shout
Stop recording
Find the offensive sound on the list and add it to the filter so it won't play.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

flowinprose posted:

As far as I know they only have one ability like that which is a single target ~15sec fear. I think it is called "Cry of the Predator" or something like that, but I haven't played a hunter in quite a while so something else might've been added at some point.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Cry_of_the_Hunter

It's a panic button but a really bad one that there's basically no reason to ever use, especially since Hunter already has good low-cooldown fear, root, and daze abilities.

EDIT: IIRC Burn Hot also has a screaming sound effect and that one you will use a fair amount.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sassassin posted:

I didn't stop to grind in Minas Tirith, a region I don't own. I've been spending my time playing the story. Just finished the Aeglos quests in Dor Amarth.

I was in Mordor before I even realised how bad my weapon sucked. Killing was a bit slow but I'd assumed I was just short of xp and maybe Wardens won't supposed to stay op vs the landscape forever.

How long would it take to grind 12 star-lit crystals? I've got enough gold for maybe 2 on the auction house. I'd need 22 to fully max it out (up to rank 63).

You bought Mordor but not Gondor? I understand the complaints now.

Also to the two people still playing burglars: Enjoy your upcoming DPS buffs. The raid I've been joining now and then keeps one burg for every raid just for their debuffs but their DPS is terrible so they're getting some damage and self heal improvement to make soloing on a burg easier.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

extra stout posted:

Also to the two people still playing burglars: Enjoy your upcoming DPS buffs. The raid I've been joining now and then keeps one burg for every raid just for their debuffs but their DPS is terrible so they're getting some damage and self heal improvement to make soloing on a burg easier.

I miss pre talent tree burgs, feel like burgs and LM got hit the hardest with the class changes, lost a lot of utility if you go dps and a ton of dps if you go yellow, maybe these core dps buffs will help bring the old burglar playstyle back.

Also looks like Minstrels are getting some massive healing buffs, apparently the bears were stealing their jobs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

I must have bought West & Central Gondor before I last stopped playing as I did a bit of questing in those areas. Skipped Eastern Gondor and Anorien(s?) because I was overlevelled, the store was down when I first got to the former, and the epic is pretty insistent about how imminent the siege is. Pelennor was pretty good and made up for the hour or two of Druadan bullshit.

Bought March of the King. Skipped The Wastes.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

I must have bought West & Central Gondor before I last stopped playing as I did a bit of questing in those areas. Skipped Eastern Gondor and Anorien(s?) because I was overlevelled, the store was down when I first got to the former, and the epic is pretty insistent about how imminent the siege is. Pelennor was pretty good and made up for the hour or two of Druadan bullshit.

Bought March of the King. Skipped The Wastes.

Yeah the druadan stuff wasn’t great

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
When the new Beorning skill Wanderlust came I ignored it because who cares about a 40% ground speed increase when mounts are so much faster, but I just realized with delight that this can be used indoors.

Anyone know of a good up to date Beorning guide post revamp? Right now I'm just soloing in permabear for the novelty, but I'm sure there's a better rotation of shifting between forms.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Wardens have something similar. With that and the travel skills, not sure I'll be able to play another class.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Alright, so I'm giving this another try. Played a trial back in 2007, then gave it another go a couple of years ago but stopped playing for some reason I can't remember.

Currently playing a human Champion at level 16, but the class gameplay doesn't feel terribly exciting so far. I play all MMO:s extremely casually, so I just want something that can solo regular content comfortably while also having some survivability. I don't do much group content, so the possibility of soloing some group stuff later on would also be cool. A bit of googling seems to suggest either Hunter or Warden would be suitable for a solo-focused playthrough, is this still accurate?

Also, how's the goon activity these days? I rolled on Landroval and I got into Nazgun last time I played but it doesn't seem very active.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Hunter is very boring solo imo.

Tank classes that let you wade into camps full of enemies and clear house are the most fun.

I've always liked the idea of pet classes for playing solo but Captain was a miserable experience in practice.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Champion is perfectly fine for soloing any normal game content. It isn't a squishy class by any means. Like most MMOs that have been around for a while, all of the landscape content has been made easier and easier with each passing year. Don't worry about whether or not you can handle it on a given class- You can solo landscape content with anything. If you insist on only doing orange and red quests, sure, then you'll want to roll Guardian or Warden.

Warden, Rune Keeper & Beorning are P2P, so don't bother with those unless you're not liking the default classes.

You won't get a "true" feel for a class's playstyle until 20 or so. Give it a few more levels, to be sure. It never hurts to roll a few different classes to find out what you like most. Most MMOs bring something new to class design, even if you think you've seen it all before.

My Hunter is currently having a great time kicking rear end in Mordor.

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

Fried Sushi posted:

I don't think I ever heard my hunter scream the entire time I played it, so if that one skill does a cry, I just never felt the need to use it. Things were usually dead before I had to scare them away.

Your hunter should have some kind of "scream and scare the animal" shout. It's kinda funny screaming like a wild man and watching things run away. They do end up coming back, but that gives you a change to do same ranged attacks.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
just got a reminder email that my 3 month sub i bought for the legendary server runs out on Feb. 8

it's been fun and i got a champ to 50 but i'm not going to re-up. if i get the itch again there's still f2p out there.

i wonder if there will be a drop in player counts for legendary after this weekend. i know lifers are, well, for life but i have to imagine there are at least some other folks like me who will probably let their sub run out

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Moria won't be long.

It's already been way more popular than they anticipated I doubt they'll shed any tears about an inevitable drop off.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Moria and Lothlorien are planned for March, I'd expect another uptick in activity around that for a month or two.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

lol if you posted:

just got a reminder email that my 3 month sub i bought for the legendary server runs out on Feb. 8

it's been fun and i got a champ to 50 but i'm not going to re-up. if i get the itch again there's still f2p out there.

i wonder if there will be a drop in player counts for legendary after this weekend. i know lifers are, well, for life but i have to imagine there are at least some other folks like me who will probably let their sub run out

If you've never played on the regular servers, make sure to roll a toon(or 12) on Landroval before your sub expires. Any character made during your sub time will have a ton of extremely valuable perks permanently unlocked for them.

If you do have toons on the regular servers, forget everything I just said.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Brave New World posted:

If you've never played on the regular servers, make sure to roll a toon(or 12) on Landroval before your sub expires. Any character made during your sub time will have a ton of extremely valuable perks permanently unlocked for them.

If you do have toons on the regular servers, forget everything I just said.

This is obvious but make sure to log into them as well, also I agree with sassassin and the forums that while some people are definitely quitting the legendary servers, some are also just going back to the regular servers (raid is in now, new skirmish challenge is coming in a few days where you can get a gold best in slot item for doing a bunch of old skirmishes that now each have a boss from Minas Morgul in them). They put basically no money into the legendary server idea anyway so all profit was true profit.

Also that is is a pretty good indicator that we're going to Minas Morgul next, but I could be wrong.

This would also bring back the odds of a Shelob fight that they promised and were even almost done working on like three years ago. I'm not sure if they'd do an expansion pack, a quest pack, make the fight a 3 6 or 12 man, if Shelob survives or if we kill her, I'm just betting the fight is still on.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
No way it takes 12 people to kill Shelob given what Sam did to her with a second age kitchen knife.

edit: First age letter opener?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Lhingris stuff gets pretty dark. Didn't think I'd be leading a death march/ritual sacrifice.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I did not have to ride all the way to Minas Tirith again for a slave outfit, come on now.

It's been months and they're still trying to dig people out of the rubble, poor souls.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Alright, by this point I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with this game for a while. :dance:

For an 11-year old MMO, it still manages to have pretty nice graphics and a good sense of immersion. I went into the Old Forest for the first time late at night with the lights out and headphones on, and it was pretty much as terrifying as I'd imagined it would be. Never thought I'd feel relieved and happy to meet Tom Bombadil of all characters, but there you go.

I'll be sticking with the F2P model, so right now I'm looking for advice on which quest pack to buy. I found some codes for cheap online, so I got the expansion quad pack (Moria, Mirkwood, Isengard and Rohan), but since I need to be 50-ish to start getting into Moria I'll probably need another zone or two of questing. I got a code for the Steely Dawn starter pack which included the Evendim quest pack, so I think I'm pretty much set up until level 40, but there seems to be some differing opinions on the best 40-50 zone.
Forochel, Misty Mountains and Angmar seem to be the obvious candidates, but I'm not sure which one to go for. I guess either Misty Mountains or Angmar would be nice to have for lore-related reasons, but I don't know if the quality of the quests make them worth buying? Forochel I don't know anything about except it seems to be LotRO Greenland.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Comrade Koba posted:

Alright, by this point I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with this game for a while. :dance:

For an 11-year old MMO, it still manages to have pretty nice graphics and a good sense of immersion. I went into the Old Forest for the first time late at night with the lights out and headphones on, and it was pretty much as terrifying as I'd imagined it would be. Never thought I'd feel relieved and happy to meet Tom Bombadil of all characters, but there you go.

I'll be sticking with the F2P model, so right now I'm looking for advice on which quest pack to buy. I found some codes for cheap online, so I got the expansion quad pack (Moria, Mirkwood, Isengard and Rohan), but since I need to be 50-ish to start getting into Moria I'll probably need another zone or two of questing. I got a code for the Steely Dawn starter pack which included the Evendim quest pack, so I think I'm pretty much set up until level 40, but there seems to be some differing opinions on the best 40-50 zone.
Forochel, Misty Mountains and Angmar seem to be the obvious candidates, but I'm not sure which one to go for. I guess either Misty Mountains or Angmar would be nice to have for lore-related reasons, but I don't know if the quality of the quests make them worth buying? Forochel I don't know anything about except it seems to be LotRO Greenland.

Misty Mountains is easily my favourite of those since they downgraded Goblin Town to be a solo area.

edit: Angmar is a pretty miserable place to be and isn't really worth it unless you're committing to doing the Volume 1 Epic all the way through, which I can't recommend for so many reasons.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 9, 2019

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

sassassin posted:

edit: Angmar is a pretty miserable place to be and isn't really worth it unless you're committing to doing the Volume 1 Epic all the way through, which I can't recommend for so many reasons.

Out of curiosity, what’s so bad about it?

I’ve only done the epic quests up to and including the instanced part in the barrow, but so far it’s been mostly alright.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Comrade Koba posted:

I’ve only done the epic quests up to and including the instanced part in the barrow, but so far it’s been mostly alright.

Most of the epic quest is good to great but most of the part in Angmar was the original endgame content. This means a lot of pointless running around through poorly laid out, mob dense areas. I’d recommend getting through vol 1 book 6 then hitting Moria. You can always go back and do the remaining vol 1 chapters later.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Comrade Koba posted:

The Epic quests involve a lot of travelling back and forth, take you to areas in weird orders (Rivendell when the High Moor will kill you, Garth Forthnir when the elite level 50 enemies will kill you), ask you to leave areas when there's still a lot of good content still to go (lone lands is the earliest example of this), and as time goes on contains way higher ratio of filler "kill x things", "go run laps while I think on what to do next" stages than landscape sidequests do (usually there you're at least killing things for an explicit purpose). Also you're clumsily interjected into the Fellowship's journey as everyone's special friend and trusted ally. Also the writing tells you to hurry all the time. Also session play. Also Nona and Horn and every idiotic ranger.

The first area in Mordor is pretty funny. One set of quests sends you to find a Gondorian captain who has gone missing in a scary dungeon. Another sends you to the entrance of said scary dungeon to hand out some drinks, and then ride back out of Mordor to tell Gandalf what happened (nothing). Guess which is the "Epic".

It's worth missing the handful of good Epic stages to save the hassle of doing the rest of it. And the game flows far better when you follow landscape vectors and pick and choose if you can be bothered with certain people's stupid problems.

Note, however, that I don't seem to follow my own advice when playing through content for the first time. And some areas require playing Epic stages to access content (Moria, Mirkwood, and therefore Lasgalen as well afaik).

The Moria/Mirkwood epic wasn't bad from what I remember, but the last time I did it I got stuck on a bugged session play.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
You should largely disregard Sassassin's opinion, but there are a few kernals of truth to what they're saying. It's perfectly fine to delay the epics by 5-10 levels if you're worried about tough mobs or whatever, but you still want to do them, especially on your first character. Yes, the constant back & forth between Rivendell and Forochel sucks, but you can easily do other content for a bit when that gets on your nerves. Session play completely sucks, and I resent every time I have to "play" a character with weird rear end skills that isn't the character I rolled. And keep in mind that the only epics most people complain about are the 40-50 ones, and then Nona & Horn.

Nona & Horn have a bad story that doesn't add anything, but that's really far from true about the other epics. The epics involving the rangers are super relevant, and actually good. One of the rangers has a full story arc that straight up hit me in the feels at its ultimate conclusion at the Fields of Pelennor. There's another early epic that tells a good story, and even has an appearance by Sauron pretending to be an elf. Moria & Mirkwood's has an orc that's seriously a great npc.

The epics have a number of solo instances that show you some really cool locations you wouldn't otherwise visit, including fighting some monsters, etc that you don't encounter in ordinary landscape content. Virtually no one is playing this game just for it's awesome end game raiding scene. You're probably here because you're a Tolkien fan that wants to be a pointy-eared/furry-footed/bearded midget murder hobo that actually reads the quest text before you run off to kill orcs. The epics actually have some good context as to why you're killing those orcs.

Regardless of how you feel about the epics in general, at 45 you'll want to immediately start the Moria epic to get your first Legendary weapon. If you're a weirdo like me that actually likes story poo poo, you'll want to first go talk to Elrond so you can see the Fellowship off on their epic journey.

I like Angmar, but a lot of other people hate it. If you like spending forever to travel through snowy arctic poo poo that all looks the same, sure go Forochel. Trollshaws is the 2nd prettiest area in the game(after Lothlorien ofc), but it's easy to get lost there and still a little weak on content even after its big revamp. Misty Mountains ends with the iconic Goblin Town, so its worth it. Eregion is really good, but you may need something to bridge the gap between it and Evendim.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Thanks for all the input! I think I’ll be going with Misty Mountains first, then Angmar and Trollshaws.

I’m dividing my time between two characters (Hobbit Guardian and Elf Warden) and I still haven’t decided on which one I should go with for my main, but in any case it’ll be good to have some options for questing instead of having to run the same content twice.

Reading quest text and exploring pretty landscapes is my favorite activity in any MMO, so I’ll probably try to do all the epic stuff at least once.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Comrade Koba posted:

Reading quest text and exploring pretty landscapes is my favorite activity in any MMO, so I’ll probably try to do all the epic stuff at least once.

You're going to have to ignore chunks of the epic quest text to get the most out of exploring, unfortunately.

Having finished the Mordor sections of the Black Book I didn't much like how they interacted. The Epic just adds random quirky npcs to each area that show no awareness of the major conflicts going on Gondor loremaster standing right in front of the Spire in Dor Amarth, Atli Spider-Bane hanging around Cirith Ungol while Legolas and I fight all the spiders and you schizophrenically change tack chasing series of hunches to the point where it's easy to lose sense of what you were trying to accomplish.

I think the whole point was to figure out who runs Mordor now post-Sauron and the answer is still unresolved, as the instance where the leaders meet up to betray one another was immediately followed by more apparent betrayal as two of the parties forming an alliance have turned on one another. I got a much clearer sense of who's who by following area questlines to their end. The npcs you find standing around certainly seem better informed than Gandalf about the political situation, anyway.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Comrade Koba posted:

Cool! LOTRO is a bit clunky gameplay-wise these days compared to newer MMOs, but those two areas are where it excels. I'm happy to say that the newest, post-Mordor zones are as strong as ever in these aspects, so I think the journey to level cap will definitely be worth it.

Also, ignore everything Sassasin is saying and do the epic, duh. Just don't feel compelled to move on the second it asks you to. And for volume 1 in particular there's a whole bunch of content at level 50, the old level cap - it's definitely worth doing eventually and features some of the best villains in the game but if you get bored/start dieing a lot I recommend heading to Moria and coming back later.

Also, if you haven't already make sure to roll an alt to start in the Shire and do the quests there: it's an experience that's totally unique to LOTRO. There's also an "alternative epic" called the Tale of Bingo Boffin which you pick up there which has a cute story that continues all the way up through Rohan.

Two last pieces of advice: first, stop and smell the flowers. Don't feel compelled to rush to level cap: 99.9 percent of the joy of the game is in the leveling and the zone stories, not endgame. Similarly I wouldn't really worry about over leveling because again most of the fun in this game is not the combat.

Second, https://www.lotro-wiki.com is really really good and should be your first stop whenever you have a question.

Welcome to LOTRO!

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Oh, and to answer your actual question: if you care about story and exploration you really owe it to yourself to do Angmar. It's the capstone zone of the original plot and really does an excellent job of being hostile and foreboding (sort of like the Old Forest but on a much larger scale). Definitely do the quests in Aughaire and its surroundings, which all feed into a very cool story, and explore West Angmar in detail before following the epic to the east and then north to Gath Forthnir. (I wouldn't worry about the actual endgame stuff in Gath Forthnir for a while, though).

Forochel is a really interesting zone and I'd recommend doing it on an alt. Once. The huge landscape is neat the first time but feels like a chore after you've done all the story content.

Misty Mountains doesn't really have an overarching story and I'd recommend just following the epic and using the side quests as an xp source if you need them. It's definitely worth coming back at level 50 or later to run around Goblin-Town, though.

Oh, and congrats on buying Evendim! It's probably my favorite zone in the base game.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Comrade Koba posted:

Thanks for all the input! I think I’ll be going with Misty Mountains first, then Angmar and Trollshaws.

I’m dividing my time between two characters (Hobbit Guardian and Elf Warden) and I still haven’t decided on which one I should go with for my main, but in any case it’ll be good to have some options for questing instead of having to run the same content twice.

While both tanks, Guardians and Wardens play radically differently. AS though they weren't even designed for the same video game differently. You should be able to get a solid idea of which one you want to stick with as you go forward. Since you're buying stuff, and seem to be tanky-oriented, you may want to glance at Beornings (the wiki is out of date, check the recent release notes instead on the forums). Tank/DPS/Heal split with ridiculous solo survivability in their heal line. And you get to be a bear.

They also get bonus points for me for being the one race in LOTRO with the most vivid spread of skin tones, despite being pegged into a pseudo-Norse styling.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

jalapeno_dude posted:

Also, if you haven't already make sure to roll an alt to start in the Shire and do the quests there: it's an experience that's totally unique to LOTRO. There's also an "alternative epic" called the Tale of Bingo Boffin which you pick up there which has a cute story that continues all the way up through Rohan.

My Guardian is a hobbit, so I’ve already done the Shire starting zone and I agree that it’s amazing (with the possible exception of mail/pie delivery). I made sure to complete every single quest and deed before moving on to Bree-land. Compared to the human starting zone, the Shire is so much better it’s not even funny.

I’m doing the Bingo epic alongside the regular content, and so far it’s been great. Well, getting surrounded by a gang of 4-5 wights while looking for his lost journal wasn’t that great but at least I survived.

Conskill posted:

While both tanks, Guardians and Wardens play radically differently. AS though they weren't even designed for the same video game differently. You should be able to get a solid idea of which one you want to stick with as you go forward. Since you're buying stuff, and seem to be tanky-oriented, you may want to glance at Beornings (the wiki is out of date, check the recent release notes instead on the forums). Tank/DPS/Heal split with ridiculous solo survivability in their heal line. And you get to be a bear.

They also get bonus points for me for being the one race in LOTRO with the most vivid spread of skin tones, despite being pegged into a pseudo-Norse styling.

I’m not that interested in tanking itself (mainly be cause I’ve managed to suck at it badly in any MMO I’ve tried), but I wanted to play something that could conceivably solo at least some of the group content (not necessarily entire instances, but group quests and stuff like that), because I predict it’s going to be tough to find someone to group with because A) I’m an EU player on a US server, so I’ll never be playing at peak times, and B) I’ll be doing non-endgame content in an 11-year old MMO.

The internet seemed to think that Warden (because of self-heals and a lot of utility skills) and Guardian (because of general tankiness and survivability) would be most suitable if you wanted to be able to solo as much as possible.

I’ve still got a free character slot, so if it turns out I was wrong I can try out something else. :)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lasgalen feels like a bigger step up in difficulty than Mordor. These trolls do not mess around (kicking me into groups of their friends is cheating, surely).

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Comrade Koba posted:

I’m not that interested in tanking itself (mainly be cause I’ve managed to suck at it badly in any MMO I’ve tried), but I wanted to play something that could conceivably solo at least some of the group content (not necessarily entire instances, but group quests and stuff like that), because I predict it’s going to be tough to find someone to group with because A) I’m an EU player on a US server, so I’ll never be playing at peak times, and B) I’ll be doing non-endgame content in an 11-year old MMO.

The internet seemed to think that Warden (because of self-heals and a lot of utility skills) and Guardian (because of general tankiness and survivability) would be most suitable if you wanted to be able to solo as much as possible.

I’ve still got a free character slot, so if it turns out I was wrong I can try out something else. :)

Warden is right up your alley, if you consider the gambit system fun in and of itself. I never got the hang of it and I sort of sit there rueing the class because of it. It's up there with Beorning in Stupid Solo Tricks when you play it well, though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lasgalen review part 2: Too many quests ending with "Hmm, I dunno what that was about. Yeah we'll, uh, keep an eye on it. Maybe it'll get better on its own".

The Black Book quests are even more boring. Running long distances to be told x doesn't know where mysterious man/macguffin is, [kill 12 beasts] and ask y instead.

I badly need a new weapon. This level 111 quest reward offhand is struggling with all these signatures that hit like trucks. Might have to get to level cap to get a crafted one off the AH, though.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sassassin posted:

Lasgalen review part 2: Too many quests ending with "Hmm, I dunno what that was about. Yeah we'll, uh, keep an eye on it. Maybe it'll get better on its own".

The Black Book quests are even more boring. Running long distances to be told x doesn't know where mysterious man/macguffin is, [kill 12 beasts] and ask y instead.

I badly need a new weapon. This level 111 quest reward offhand is struggling with all these signatures that hit like trucks. Might have to get to level cap to get a crafted one off the AH, though.

The way stat contributions work if you think your offhand weapon being outdated by five levels is the problem, the rest of your gear sucks or you're not doing a proper skill rotation, or both. I can safely say in 11 years I've never overcame a challenge by having a really good offhand weapon.

Also I'm glad you post your insights but I still think you just get bored quickly because you played a game called The Lord Of The Rings Online and skipped Minas Tirith and a lot of other core poo poo.

Tell me which weapon and post your name and I can craft you one anyway though as long as it's made out of wood, can also do bows of course which are a pretty big stat buff most classes forget about.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

Also I'm glad you post your insights but I still think you just get bored quickly because you played a game called The Lord Of The Rings Online and skipped Minas Tirith and a lot of other core poo poo.

...Like not doing the epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

The way stat contributions work if you think your offhand weapon being outdated by five levels is the problem, the rest of your gear sucks or you're not doing a proper skill rotation, or both. I can safely say in 11 years I've never overcame a challenge by having a really good offhand weapon.

Tell me which weapon and post your name and I can craft you one anyway though as long as it's made out of wood, can also do bows of course which are a pretty big stat buff most classes forget about.

The issue is I'm using offhand quest reward weapons as my only weapons because they're way better than my legendary is (I've put 4 more crystals on it since I last posted but the dps gap is even wider now: max tier 546.6 dps vs 765, and that's a Lhingris quest reward sword iirc).

My gear is awful for a 117 but I'm still in 115 land so it's not too crippling so far.

Brave New World posted:

...Like not doing the epic.

I did the volume 4 epic and Black Book on this character.

I can't see myself doing the latter again. It's really bad in comparison to the rest of Mordor.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 12, 2019