Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
DS9 was not poorly written, what is this nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Pick posted:

that's because he is a very good actor. a lot of props go to a character that wasn't really written that well on a show that wasn't really written that well. ds9 is all strength of the cast imho.

lol

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Every single one of you (and me doubly so) has some dumb, obviously wrong opinion about some things, and my guess is a lot of them are related to Star Trek.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
DS9’s writing is pretty superior to anything the franchise has done since, and in some ways I think it’s better written than TNG. But it also has some consistently poorly written elements (more than half the Ferengi episodes suck, secondary Bajoran characters are almost all the same boring white guy who will try to get in Kira’s pants, everything to do with the pah wraiths is an utter missed opportunity) and a handful of episodes that just poo poo all over themselves (Let He Who Is Without Sin for example).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ashpanash posted:

Every single one of you (and me doubly so) has some dumb, obviously wrong opinion about some things, and my guess is a lot of them are related to Star Trek.

Sure, that’s why I’ll always go to bat for generally indefensible garbage like The Royale or Enterprise. But claiming DS9 was a poorly written show? That’s just silly.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I like how the difference maker in Yesterday's Enterprise is that the Enterprise-C takes a little longer to blow up versus apparently blowing up immediately.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

CPColin posted:

I like how the difference maker in Yesterday's Enterprise is that the Enterprise-C takes a little longer to blow up versus apparently blowing up immediately.

Hey, Klingons like a fight. What are ya gonna do?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You can take a moment to imagine that any particular character in deep space nine was instead played by Garrett Wang

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pick posted:

You can take a moment to imagine that any particular character in deep space nine was instead played by Garrett Wang

And by that same argument, not even Marc Alaimo could have saved a nothing character like Tom Paris or Chakotay. The strength of the writing has just as much bearing on the quality of a character (and, by extension, the show they’re on) as the strength of the casting.

Just look at Worf. Good actor when given a chance, but Worf was a punchline on TNG because the writing usually failed him. He improved on DS9 because the writing was stronger.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Pick posted:

Like Avery Brooks would let that happen.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Marc Alaimo saved the script where he had approximately four minutes to cycle through flirtation, genuine heartbreak, and agonizingly prolonged butt trauma

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Congrats Pick on finding the only opinion less popular than 'Avery Brooks is a bad actor.'

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CPColin posted:

I figure in the Yesterday's Enterprise timeline, the Romulans finish off the Klingon outpost, and since there's no wreckage of the Enterprise-C there's no record of her having fought in the Klingons' defense.

Whereas in the correct timeline, maybe the Enterprise-C ties up the Romulans long enough that by the time they can start hitting the outpost again, Klingon reinforcements arrive to drive them off, and the Klingon outpost says "guys you won't fuckin' believe who showed up to fight the Romulans."

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And by that same argument, not even Marc Alaimo could have saved a nothing character like Tom Paris or Chakotay. The strength of the writing has just as much bearing on the quality of a character (and, by extension, the show they’re on) as the strength of the casting.

Just look at Worf. Good actor when given a chance, but Worf was a punchline on TNG because the writing usually failed him. He improved on DS9 because the writing was stronger.

Yeah, Tom was only halfway distinctive because they made him "guy who likes fast things" (literally number 1 cliche for a pilot) and that gradually turned into a dumb obsession with old Earth cars and stuff. Harry never had even that much of a hook.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
would have been a lot better if he'd been obsessed with slow things, like turtles

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Grand Fromage posted:

The Orville started good and Discovery is now also good. The Expanse also exists and is superb. I am satisfied with my television space science fictions here in the year AUC 2772.

And Babylon 5 is on a streaming service. This may be the worst timeline, but it has its moments.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Roadie posted:

Yeah, Tom was only halfway distinctive because they made him "guy who likes fast things" (literally number 1 cliche for a pilot) and that gradually turned into a dumb obsession with old Earth cars and stuff. Harry never had even that much of a hook.

Make Paris a Kirk-obsessed starfleet criminal who is in love with what he considers the "lawless" era, super excited to go to the other side of the galaxy and gently caress a path back to Earth, only he winds up catching feelings and growing up so he arrives a Responsible Dad at the end of the show there's how you fix Tom Paris

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pick posted:

would have been a lot better if he'd been obsessed with slow things, like turtles

He did hang out with Harry.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Whalley posted:

Make Paris a Kirk-obsessed starfleet criminal who is in love with what he considers the "lawless" era, super excited to go to the other side of the galaxy and gently caress a path back to Earth, only he winds up catching feelings and growing up so he arrives a Responsible Dad at the end of the show there's how you fix Tom Paris

It was probably a little bit early to go full nostalgia kick, but if Voyager was made now instead of black and white classic sci-fi I imagine Paris would be having TOS style romps on the holodeck.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Roadie posted:

Harry never had even that much of a hook.

Of course he does. He’s a ginormous dingus. He plays the clarinet and shits his pants whenever a woman so much as thinks about looking at him. It’s not a good hook, but it’s a hook.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

mllaneza posted:

And Babylon 5 is on a streaming service. This may be the worst timeline, but it has its moments.

It is?? Which one?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Senor Tron posted:

It was probably a little bit early to go full nostalgia kick, but if Voyager was made now instead of black and white classic sci-fi I imagine Paris would be having TOS style romps on the holodeck.

Voyager itself would have been a better show if they just went full TOS/Buck Rogers/50s pulpy camp. You could sometimes tell it wanted to, but I’m sure people on the writing staff kept holding out hope the show could take itself seriously.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Taear posted:

It is?? Which one?

Amazon Prime.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Epicurius posted:

Amazon Prime.

Must be US only

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Just watched the TNG episode Lower Decks (S7E15). It's a pretty good episode; it does struggle with some pacing issues, but it is a really interesting look into how the chain of command works on the ship, and the lot of the junior officers. However, one thing that stood out as weird to me was how sad/introspective Worf was with the death of the ensign he supported. He should be happy for her; that has been established in previous episodes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Of course he does. He’s a ginormous dingus. He plays the clarinet and shits his pants whenever a woman so much as thinks about looking at him. It’s not a good hook, but it’s a hook.

Hahaha, remember that Harry had a fiancee back home? The show sure as hell didn't.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MorgaineDax posted:

Hahaha, remember that Harry had a fiancee back home? The show sure as hell didn't.
He never did

Janeway did though

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
http://www.startrek.com/database_article/libby She was almost as memorable as Kim.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

According to Memory Alpha she was basically not mentioned again after Season 2 so no wonder I forgot

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And according to Memory Beta she's actually in Starfleet Intelligence and rejected Harry's marriage proposal like 3 times lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

And according to Memory Beta she's actually in Starfleet Intelligence and rejected Harry's marriage proposal like 3 times lmao
Does she even get mentioned once Voyager is able to communicate with the Alpha Quadrant again in like Season 5 or whatever it was? I don't think she is.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Harry: Hey Libby we found this tiny, microscopic wormhole. We can only put through tiny things and they come way in your past.

Libby: Well, at least we can have sex like we used to.

Harry: ...come on man.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Hah, the Voyager episode with faux-Boothby has the guy who played Billy in Gremlins!

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
While most of the Pah-Wraith stuff is bad (and the Prophets too aren't so hot really) am I wrong in thinking the episode where Keiko gets possessed is excellent? I remember feeling like it was really compellingly plotted and gave a real sense of urgency to O'Brien's actions.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's super creepy to see an evil Keiko, it's great

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

While most of the Pah-Wraith stuff is bad (and the Prophets too aren't so hot really) am I wrong in thinking the episode where Keiko gets possessed is excellent? I remember feeling like it was really compellingly plotted and gave a real sense of urgency to O'Brien's actions.

The actress can really act when she's actually given something to do.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I mean, The Assignment is really good in my opinion, too.

But then, I am a terminal Keiko apologist, and I don't hate the Prophet/Bajoran stuff as much as many around here, so...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Keiko is a huge missed opportunity since there WAS stuff she should have been doing.

Maybe find the solution to the fungus thing in Empok Nor and then become friends with Garak and use it specifically to piss off Miles. I mean keiko and garak mutually scheming to make miles o'brien's life worse seems in character for, among other things, the star trek universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
“It’s pon farr night at the Vulcan nightclub.”

I think I love this episode.