Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Blackhawk posted:

Lmao:

From a local Facebook group (prices are in NZD, so USD is about 2/3rds of that).

You laugh but someone buy those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Canadian Amazon is always selling currently available films at hugely inflated prices (even by Canadian standards) from third party sellers that get high reviews. Who the hell is buying this crap?

Sauer fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 10, 2019

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Thinking about getting a half frame camera recently.

The interchangeable-lens PEN's are beautiful but their price has inflated and I've heard that their porro mirror viewfinders desilver and darken with age.

So that basically narrows it down to either a PEN EE-D or a Yashica Samurai. (Or a Chaika, which seems like a lol option but from a Flickr search appears to actually have a pretty decent lens)

Besides the different zoom ranges, is there any important difference between the Samurai X 3.0 and X 4.0? Anything else to look out for when buying a Samurai?

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

Insanite posted:

Might just be my lovely monitor right now, but does it extend all the way into the UR corner?

Is it on the negative?

Yeah, it's not just scanning weirdness. It's hard to tell how far it extends but I think it goes all the way up.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Blackhawk posted:

Lmao:

From a local Facebook group (prices are in NZD, so USD is about 2/3rds of that).

I don't know if the Amazon price is also inflated, but it looks like he might actually be selling the natura at a slight discount.

I had no idea 1600 color film exists and I would buy the gently caress out of it if it were a little less expensive.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
poo poo, it's gone up in price fastttttt

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 10, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Everything I've read says natura 1600 is the same as superia 1600, which was only discontinued in 36 shot in like 2018.
Allegedly the 24 shot rolls are still around, but I've not been able to find any. So wouldn't go spending insane money for a set from 1999.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I still have one roll in the freezer. At this rate it should be worth a cool mil in about a decade or so.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I've currently got my last roll of superia 1600 36 exp loaded into my bessa R and while I wanna keep shooting it, it's real bittersweet.

What color film can you push to 1600, anyways?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Portra 400. But there's just something about Natura. It's a little more saturated and looks really cool in colored neon light.

E: I've wondered what Superia 800 pushed a stop is like, but have never tired it. I also don't know how much longer it will be made...assuming it hasn't already been discontinued as well.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 11, 2019

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The interchangeable-lens PEN's are beautiful but their price has inflated and I've heard that their porro mirror viewfinders desilver and darken with age.

So that basically narrows it down to either a PEN EE-D or a Yashica Samurai. (Or a Chaika, which seems like a lol option but from a Flickr search appears to actually have a pretty decent lens)

Besides the different zoom ranges, is there any important difference between the Samurai X 3.0 and X 4.0? Anything else to look out for when buying a Samurai?

Have you considered a Canon Demi EE17?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Wanna buy a pen ee2?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

frogbs posted:

Have you considered a Canon Demi EE17?
No, but I see it has user-selectable shutter speeds, which means it has a B mode, so it is now above the EE-D on my list.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Wanna buy a pen ee2?

Probably not for what you'd want for it. PM sent though.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Me too, top of my list is the Olympus PEN D3, which has a built in meter but is otherwise manual. They're pretty reasonably priced too, at least in Aus.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I've got a Pen D3 and I love it. Super compact and it takes great photos. You have to get used to judging distances since it's manual focus with no range finder, and more annoyingly you have to remember to check the focus. I've definitely forgotten a few times. Other then that it's a blast.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Portra 400. But there's just something about Natura. It's a little more saturated and looks really cool in colored neon light.

E: I've wondered what Superia 800 pushed a stop is like, but have never tired it. I also don't know how much longer it will be made...assuming it hasn't already been discontinued as well.

Superia 800 still made in 24 shot only. Allegedly so is Superia 1600, but as I said, I can't find it. Maybe in Japan?
Anyone push portra 800?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Portra 800 is not the same magic that 160 and 400 speed versions are. If I wanted to get a Portra look at 1600, I'd push 400 by 2 stops.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Megabound posted:

Me too, top of my list is the Olympus PEN D3, which has a built in meter but is otherwise manual. They're pretty reasonably priced too, at least in Aus.

Yeah the D3 is nice but I have an accessory rangefinder so I'm looking for a zone focusing camera with a shoe mount for the possibility of more accurate focus if needed.

Seems like something that would be pretty nice on the D3 with its 1.7 lens. The D3 was originally sold with a flash bracket that attaches to the tripod socket but it's hard to find the days.

Leaning towards a Samurai, but even though they're still cheap in camera bucks they've shot up ridiculously relative to their old average price.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Don't push C-41. If you want fast speeds shoot digital

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Does anybody have any good reference for the relative price of old film cameras vs. time? It seems like prices have doubled or more in the past ~5 years but I don't have any direct examples. I read somewhere that Ilford was seeing 5% growth per year in its film business which is fairly interesting, I don't imagine it would ever even get close to what it was before widespread digital and camera phones but I do wonder if it will plateau when old used cameras reach a certain price or if there's enough supply out there to build the market up to a point that people start producing new film cameras. Kodak re-introducing film stock would seem to indicate that they at least see some long-term potential in the market.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Large format cameras are still built new but no one is gonna bootstrap a small format camera

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Blackhawk posted:

I do wonder if it will plateau when old used cameras reach a certain price or if there's enough supply out there to build the market up to a point that people start producing new film cameras.

I wonder about this too. A lot of old film cameras, for example mechanical SLRs, are really built to last, so if new bodies are ever produced I bet it'll be a while since there's so many used bodies out there that still work.

On a side note, I had no idea Nikon still made film SLRs.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Blackhawk posted:

Does anybody have any good reference for the relative price of old film cameras vs. time? It seems like prices have doubled or more in the past ~5 years but I don't have any direct examples. I read somewhere that Ilford was seeing 5% growth per year in its film business which is fairly interesting, I don't imagine it would ever even get close to what it was before widespread digital and camera phones but I do wonder if it will plateau when old used cameras reach a certain price or if there's enough supply out there to build the market up to a point that people start producing new film cameras. Kodak re-introducing film stock would seem to indicate that they at least see some long-term potential in the market.

I've been thinking some of the price increase has been thanks to the internet. Now that anyone can quickly see the price range of grandma's dusty old film camera, there's a lot fewer instances of people selling good stuff dirt cheap.

I would worry that we'll see a drop soon in early cameras with exposure meters, since I assume a lot will start dying. I just bought an old Weston Master II only to find out that it's pretty much impossible to get replacement selenium cells for it, making it basically just a brick. Old cameras will obviously still be functional if the exposure meter on them dies, but I would bet that would certainly cause a price drop.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

President Beep posted:

I wonder about this too. A lot of old film cameras, for example mechanical SLRs, are really built to last, so if new bodies are ever produced I bet it'll be a while since there's so many used bodies out there that still work.

On a side note, I had no idea Nikon still made film SLRs.

They don’t.

The fm/fe10 is cosina and the f6 is just new old stock sitting around in a warehouse for the last 15 years or so

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

Large format cameras are still built new but no one is gonna bootstrap a small format camera

Yeah I agree that at this point there would be hardly any market for a new designed and built small or medium format camera given what it would have to sell for to make any money when compared to what you could buy a serviceable second hand camera for (barring plastic Lomo cameras).

Maybe a company like Leica could make money introducing new film cameras but only because of their existing brand and extremely high prices/rich customer base, otherwise I suspect a lot of people getting into film are doing so specifically because of the availability of cheap old cameras and lenses.

On the other hand you have to think that the market for film cameras/film is probably more stable (albeit much smaller) than for consumer level digital cameras at this point. Low and mid-tier digital cameras are being swallowed up by smart phones whereas people choosing to shoot film are likely going to continue doing so in addition to their smart phone.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hello film thread.

For reasons I still don't quite get, I've decided that getting into large format photography is a great idea!. Ok, so it's partly driven by some of the amazing prints I've seen, but also the process itself.
I did 'analog' photography way back in college (20+ years ago), along with developing/enlarging, etc, so have a reasonable idea of the process.
I sold my DSLR a few years back and replaced it with a Micro 4/3rds (OM-D-10) and it's ok.
Anyways...I can at least pretend to know enough about photography to do this.
It gets slightly sillier, as I've also decided to built my own camera. I have a 3D printer, I know how to work with composites (and have the tools for it).
I'm going to start with this:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2371456
And then modify it as I go along...and eventually make a carbon fibre 4x5 camera, once I get a design I'm reasonably happy with.
I got a Fujinon W 150mm f5.6 (from ebay) on the way along with a bundle of film holders. Still debating whether to DIY the bellows or buy a used one.
I also conveniently got a film lab less than a block away.

Anyone else here use large format?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Hmm, what would you all like to see in a brand-new film camera, anyways? What could a company do to make it worthwhile over an older one? Could you theoretically squeeze in a cheap + simple digital sensor to use for live view, face-detection, super speedy autofocus, maybe even some basic image previewing, showing clipped areas, etc? gently caress, include a menu where you could select what film you're using, and it'd adjust the dynamic range of the live view based on that. they could program in information about pushing / pulling or under/overexposing to warn you when you're going out of your film's dynamic range, etc. gently caress, let you preview where on the zone scale various parts of your image lie.

Aside from that, I could see one making use out of various other digital improvements that don't rely on a sensor - rechargable batteries, digital framelines, you could probably fairly easily add in some kind of depth of field markings in the viewfinder itself.

Basically, figure out some way to slap the X-Pro 2's viewfinder into a film body.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Do any of you guys take pictures or are you just in it to masturbate over equipment?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Anyone else here use large format?

I've been shooting 4x5 as my main system for 6 years. I bought a Chamonix and don't regret it.

There's really no reason to build your own unless you're trying to save money and if that's the case large format is not a good choice for you

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 11, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ansel autisms posted:

Do any of you guys take pictures or are you just in it to masturbate over equipment?

I jerk off to film hordes, thank you very much.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I went to camera shows until I found a Pen F (mine's the FT) in good shape and while I've long since replaced it with other stuff, I keep holding on to it because it's probably my most fun camera to use. It's strange because I hate SLRs, but something about it just clicks with me. It's small, mechanical, and if you shoot crop sensor the lenses adapt easily. I want to get rid of it - I could easily get my money back and could use it to buy the other things I need in my life since I've replaced it with "better" stuff, but I took it out today to finish off a roll left in since last summer and it's still fun to use, further cementing its position as a shelf queen.

ansel autisms posted:

Yes.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I would gently caress my lenses but I don't have anything that opens up past f/1.4. :smuggo:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ansel autisms posted:

I've been shooting 4x5 as my main system for 6 years. I bought a Chamonix and don't regret it.

There's really no reason to build your own unless you're trying to save money and if that's the case large format is not a good choice for you

- I like making stuff (and have the skills/tools)
- A large format camera body is really quite simple.
- $500 saved on the body is $500 for lenses/etc.

I'm well aware of the film/processing/print cost and that doesn't really scare me.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
You’ll end up with a lovely version of what you could have bought for a few hundred bucks (speed graphic) and wasted a whole bunch of time you could have actually spend on the hobby, you know, shooting.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

- A large format camera body is really quite simple.

a good one is not as simple as you think it is

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

ansel autisms posted:

a good one is not as simple as you think it is

Bad ones are very simple, like a sliding box camera

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
You guys are some serious killjoys.

Making things is cool and fun and camera is a neat project. I'd be concerned about the rigidity of something made of plastic but I'm sure that can be solved with enough plastic. The bellows will probably be the most entertaining part... mold one out of silicone rubber; do it gently caress!

If you ever get bored that, consider a 6x72 pinhole camera.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 11, 2019

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I actually like to shoot pictures, I find no joy in loving around at home. Why would I want to build a camera when I can buy a functioning monorail with 5 holders for $300 and get shooting as soon as it arrives?

I've owned (and still own) lots of large format cameras including 3d printed ones and let me tell you there's drat good reason they're not popular with people who are in it to actually take pictures

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
People can enjoy different aspects of the same hobby hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

There's plenty of other forums where boring camera dads can get together and discuss art like it's a lawnmower engine. Hth