Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Strobe posted:

This feels like a good problem to have.

If Mahomes “only” threw for 35 TDs this past year they probably lose like 3 more games because of their defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yeah his 5k/50 becomes even more impressive when you realize non of it was garbage time production. All in either getting a lead or trying to hang onto it while the defense eats its own poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they had a game where they scored 51 and lost by three points.

ps three points lmao

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I feel like the Rams were so emotionally exhausted from that win and had to give up so much tape in order to score a million points that their season after it was mediocre at best

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jared Goff is a dummy and not as good as we thought.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

You're thinking of the Browns and their rampent staph breakout years ago. Actually it was more than once during the 2k - 2012 seasons if memory serves.

LeCharles Bentley was a HOF-caliber center. The Saints drafted him out of Ohio State, he went home to Cleveland as a free agent, and paid for it by having his leg basically melt from their Petri dish-rear end facilities.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Rams are not gonna be nearly as good next year cause Goff isn't good.

KC will regress but still be in contention. I do have to say losing Kareem Hunt hurts cause he contributed significantly to offense. So both from a Mahomes regression, losing Hunt, and their defense.

On the other hand, Patriots gonna go for Ring 7.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sweet thursday posted:

I feel like the Rams were so emotionally exhausted from that win and had to give up so much tape in order to score a million points that their season after it was mediocre at best

On the other hand after everything was so easy offensively in that game other than containing the pass rush maybe they were stunned into mediocrity when they played someone with a pulse on that side of the ball.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Gatts posted:

The Rams are not gonna be nearly as good next year cause Goff isn't good.

KC will regress but still be in contention. I do have to say losing Kareem Hunt hurts cause he contributed significantly to offense. So both from a Mahomes regression, losing Hunt, and their defense.

On the other hand, Patriots gonna go for Ring 7.

I think Mahomes might get picked more because teams will try to figure out how to pick off some of the 50/50 balls he throws up. That being said I don't really think the Chiefs are gonna regress that much on offense. If they do, it's going to be because their picks on the defensive side of the ball didn't pan out again.

Truthfully, I feel like the Chargers are probably the better candidate to regress next year. They won more than a few games off what were essentially coin flips and knowing them like I do, they're probably gonna blow a bunch of close games again.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Chargers were a fraud. I hate them for making me dislike them. Especially since I want Rivers to get a ring. Now I'm not sure. They made me doubt Rivers. gently caress them. Yet I still want Rivers to get a ring. But gently caress them. I'm sad. They made me sad. They also should have stayed in San Diego.

gently caress em.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i 100 percent thought the chargers were gonna knock the pats out of the playoffs.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The Chargers are a good team, their main issue is that their o-line fell off at the end of the year and the 7 DB gimmick defense worked because Lamar Jackson isn't a good passer yet. Soft zone + 7DBs leaves you prone to getting cut up and run over, which is pretty much what the Pats did to them in the divisional game. Mostly they need an LB who can stay healthy and maybe another guard. I'm cool with them letting Benjamin and T. Williams leave if it means spending the money to shore up the o-line and LB corp.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Jared Goff is a dummy and not as good as we thought.

Accurate.

Times audibled into a screen in a game with a fuckload of blitzes: ZERO lmaoooooo

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I didn't watch the SB in full but i've seen some parts of it since and it's honestly mindblowing the Rams basically didn't lean on any sort of screen game at all. like, jesus dudes.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Durandal1707 posted:

I didn't watch the SB in full but i've seen some parts of it since and it's honestly mindblowing the Rams basically didn't lean on any sort of screen game at all. like, jesus dudes.

I want to say I saw somewhere they ran a bunch of them in the regular season, or at least were in the top half of the league. Which if true would make it even crazier.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It isn't crazy when you realize the NFL is scripted and teams are paid/told to lose/turn into pumpkin morons intentionally to the Patriots.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Gatts posted:

The Chargers were a fraud. I hate them for making me dislike them. Especially since I want Rivers to get a ring. Now I'm not sure. They made me doubt Rivers. gently caress them. Yet I still want Rivers to get a ring. But gently caress them. I'm sad. They made me sad. They also should have stayed in San Diego.

gently caress em.

They're good and not frauds

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

a neat cape posted:

They're good and not frauds

Right. They legitimately suck. Legit failures. I was just an idiot who assumed they were competent.

They hurt me. Hurt me deep within the well of my soul.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Gatts posted:

Right. They legitimately suck. Legit failures. I was just an idiot who assumed they were competent.

They hurt me. Hurt me deep within the well of my soul.

They're pretty good and will be so next year

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goons say any team that didn’t win the SB sucks, just ignore them.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goons say any team that didn’t win the SB sucks, just ignore them.

No, in this case they failed hard against the Patriots. Like super extra hard. The took a dive.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I forgot the Patriots even beat the Chargers lol. I think Kansas City was the only team that worried anyone because the Rams were on such a backslide

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I forgot the Patriots even beat the Chargers lol. I think Kansas City was the only team that worried anyone because the Rams were on such a backslide

A LOT of people picked the Chargers

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

a neat cape posted:

A lot of people in New England picked them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the pats had their worst record under brady in forever, they lost to absolute poo poo teams and some of those games weren't even close.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Pats this year were like the 2011 Giants.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Pats were just a completely different team in the postseason. Nobody thought the defense could play like they did in the playoffs, and with no Flash, it seemed like the offense at best could be decent, but not great.

But suddenly they had a vicious pass rush and nobody could run on them and seriously, where the gently caress did that come from? Kyle Van Noy had like a half dozen huge impact defensive plays in the playoffs after spending the entire regular season being 3 yards behind whomever he was supposed to be on.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Billy Five Aces knowingly sand bagged the league by playing nothing but vanilla Bend but Don’t Break defense for 10 years only to break out the stunts and exotic blitzes the moment people began to doubt him.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i had more confidence in the pats than my compatriots but honestly most of it was bluster and irrational confidence. They outplayed expectations massively in the playoffs. rather shocking really. it really is like belichick was sandbagging the league for the whole regular season and then busted out the real poo poo. they had no tape at all of the complete shift in defensive philosophy, and sony michel held up very well.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Sony Michel will only last one more year and was totally worth it

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

a neat cape posted:

a LOT of people were deluded

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Sony Michel will only last one more year and was totally worth it

i still dont know if he's good or not, because he had some of the best oline play in front of him and he really never broke any plays himself save one or two

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

The Pats were just a completely different team in the postseason. Nobody thought the defense could play like they did in the playoffs, and with no Flash, it seemed like the offense at best could be decent, but not great.

But suddenly they had a vicious pass rush and nobody could run on them and seriously, where the gently caress did that come from? Kyle Van Noy had like a half dozen huge impact defensive plays in the playoffs after spending the entire regular season being 3 yards behind whomever he was supposed to be on.

The patriots haven’t played that sort of defense since, like, 2004. I sure as gently caress wasn’t expecting it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Zyla posted:

i still dont know if he's good or not, because he had some of the best oline play in front of him and he really never broke any plays himself save one or two

He's really good, he's just not Saquon, Chubb, or Zeke.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

tbh i was more worried about the chargers than the chiefs in the next round

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I forgot about this game too because I missed the first quarter and by then the game was over. What an odd playoff run.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fat Jesus posted:

That's not really the point

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

evilweasel posted:

I forgot about this game too because I missed the first quarter and by then the game was over. What an odd playoff run.

it's like a reverse of 2014 where the ravens game was insane (and caused rule changes) and the championship game against the colts was a cakewalk nobody would remember if not for deflategate.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ah yes lots of people were taking the Chargers who are 1-8 against the Pats in the Brady era and where the Pats were favored by 3.5.

e: I guess they were 1-7. Still not much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it was a close one. Jason La Canfora and Mike Florio took the patriots while Mina Kimes and Trey Wingo took the chargers