Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Zachack posted:

The folding/bending seems pretty neat, and when I asked about pince nez late last year from my optometrist I was told they were very uncommon outside of niche specialty/fashion, so if this means I can get cheap frames for my nerd vr needs then they can claim to be futuro disrupto imagination wizards for all I care.

with the best will in the world your optometrist was probably doing you a favour fashion-wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Steve French posted:

You omitted the part where the dude started right off the bat with the goal of building a billion dollar company, which is pretty important context and certainly impacted funding rounds and resulting investor expectations.

For sure, but my overall point is there's no such thing as setting VC expectations for less than 100% YoY growth (and in the first couple of years, even doubling revenues every year probably puts you on the loser track in a VC's mind)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Somehow I can't imagine those being comfortable

They're plenty comfortable as long as you get them custom fitted, though they're rather out of style these days. And of course they stay on less well than regular frames no matter what. Kind of the whole reason they went out of general use a century plus ago.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve French posted:

You omitted the part where the dude started right off the bat with the goal of building a billion dollar company, which is pretty important context and certainly impacted funding rounds and resulting investor expectations.

You won't get anywhere in Silicon Valley if your pitch doesn't include a path to the unicorn club. Maybe 10 years ago there were VCs interested in multi-million dollar companies, but that poo poo is a rounding error in industry dominated by trillion dollar companies.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

enki42 posted:

For sure, but my overall point is there's no such thing as setting VC expectations for less than 100% YoY growth (and in the first couple of years, even doubling revenues every year probably puts you on the loser track in a VC's mind)

Kobayashi posted:

You won't get anywhere in Silicon Valley if your pitch doesn't include a path to the unicorn club. Maybe 10 years ago there were VCs interested in multi-million dollar companies, but that poo poo is a rounding error in industry dominated by trillion dollar companies.

Neither of these is consistent with my personal experience. I'll happily believe that it's the norm, and for sure believe it is when you, like that guy, go out with "billion dollar company" from the word go. But I'm not convinced it is a universally applicable rule.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
i'll just leave this here

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

He who shall not be named should totally apply

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Do you remember the killer app for Ethereum? The one about collecting and breeding glittercats that managed to slow down the cryptocurrency network because of its popularity? Yeah, it's dead.

https://twitter.com/cryptocatapp/status/1092712064634753024

EDIT: Whups, this isn't it. This was an actual project to allow secure messaging and nothing to do with cryptocurrency! CryptoKitties still exists and is still dumb.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 11, 2019

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Well how about some refreshing cryptocurrency news on the other hand.

https://twitter.com/BrendanEich/status/1094462602812379136

Bet the victims of this still praise the fact that there's no centralized system that can reverse fraudulent transfers!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yup they caught my app that offered "Wallets so secure but even you will be able to get in"

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

enki42 posted:

Any startup with "double digit" yearly growth is an abject failure in the eyes of a VC. VCs usually consider a startup struggling unless it has 10%-20% month-on-month growth. One saying is "triple triple double double double", which means you should triple your revenue in years 1 and 2, and double your revenue for the next 3 years. That's considered a baseline to be on an IPO path.

This was on Hacker News this week: https://medium.com/@shl/reflecting-on-my-failure-to-build-a-billion-dollar-company-b0c31d7db0e7

tl;dr: Company goes through a rough patch, has layoffs, and still afterwards manages to double their revenue over a year (and turns into a profitable company). This is a poor enough outcome that VCs insist that the company buys their stock back.

The whole VC game makes sense for VCs and VCs only. If you're a founder who's taking VC money, you're a sucker who's essentially being scammed into putting all your money towards a lottery ticket.

Even if you take the company to IPO, as a founder you'll be under the 6 month 144 restriction. A lot can happen in 6 months. I should know (Lightspan IPO 2/2000, Market Cap ~ $1B).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Doggles posted:

Bet the victims of this still praise the fact that there's no centralized system that can reverse fraudulent transfers!

People (myself included) bitch about Apple's app review process, but it does have its upside.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

VideoGameVet posted:

Even if you take the company to IPO, as a founder you'll be under the 6 month 144 restriction. A lot can happen in 6 months. I should know (Lightspan IPO 2/2000, Market Cap ~ $1B).

ESR had a giant "How I'll spend my millions!" post that talked up his paper fortune in December right after IPO, trading at ~$240, while his shares were locked up till June, trading at ~$40. And that's assuming he liquidated ASAP and didn't hold on like a true believer.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Switzerland posted:

that isn't what Just In Time means!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

But it's buzzwordy and will bring in VC funding!

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003
Drilling lots of holes under a city that that lies right over the San Andreas Fault...truly disruptive technology.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Psh, you think we're pre-drilling tunnels?!? How silly, VC's don't make infra investments.

Drilling On Demand. Microtrenching as a Services.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

Psh, you think we're pre-drilling tunnels?!? How silly, VC's don't make infra investments.

Drilling On Demand. Microtrenching as a Services.

This would be the plot of an idiocracy sequel.

Which means VCs are currently figuring out how to make it happen.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The company is valued at 1 trillion dollars because we'll invest a billion dollars of seed capital to hire some researchers and produce a revolutionary technology worth trillions, so those stock options we're giving you instead of a proper salary will make you really rich once we IPO. No I don't know the first thing about science why do you ask

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

how is this person going to get waivers from the property owners that he is drilling under? what's the disruptive strategy for getting permits? it's all so god drat stupid!

this is my first time in this thread and I was hoping to just have a quick laugh. i assume it was like this for all of you, once

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

how is this person going to get waivers from the property owners that he is drilling under? what's the disruptive strategy for getting permits? it's all so god drat stupid!

Doesn't matter. They'll raise $10M from investors and use their new cred to get funding for their next venture. By the time permitting questions are being asked, this dude will be a permanent fixture in the tech-grifter class.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
someone show that guy this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd58w0CXQrM

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Switzerland posted:

Me: Has money and wants more
You: Willing to do all the hard work to make that happen

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My innovative technology uses a disruptive drilling of shafts to attack the problem of delivering parcels. It's a DDoS Attack but for good!

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

All the Bad Things About Uber and Lyft In One Simple List

quote:

Here’s the latest evidence that Uber and Lyft are destroying our world: Students at the University of California Los Angeles are taking an astonishing 11,000 app-based taxi trips every week that begin and end within the boundaries of the campus.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lmao at this comment, which is a scorchingly hedonistic take as well as being factually wrong

quote:

What this article avoids saying is that public transport serves customers poorly. It takes too long to get to your destination, it's unpleasant to travel crammed with so many people, standing is miserable and seating is highly uncomfortable. There's basically nothing to like about it.

So Uber and Lyft come in, and serve customers superbly. It takes almost no time to get picked up right where you are, your car is comfortable and you share it with as few or many as you wish, and you get to your destination much, much faster.

Seems to me this should be celebrated, not cursed. Customers are served better at surprisingly little additional cost.

What this article really says is that public transport advocates don't care about the miserable experience they provide. I hope they enjoy long and happy lives, but public transportation as it exists in the US deserves a fast, painless as possible death.

By the way, I know a lot of people with extremely low incomes who take Uber/Lyft all the time. They can go on journeys that would be prohibitively time consuming via public transport. The statistics that people with incomes over $200,000 take most Uber trips make me think there are a lot of people who lie on survey forms.

I have a super-fancy car which I love, but I've taken to Uber/Lyft whenever I expect traffic or parking to be horrific. It doesn't get cars off the road, but it definitely reduces strain on parking and almost certainly reduces the number of people haplessly rounding the block over and over praying for a parking space. So in that regard, they are actually good for congestion.

"on demand taxi services massively increase car trips in areas well served by public transit"

"well, have you considered how extremely convenient this is, given that the most important things to me are my luxurious standards of personal time and comfort?"

i followed this guy's links to his personal website and he has an "eco artists retreat" in costa rica that touts an event called the "eco-tantrart decompression party"

god save us from bay area boomers who haven't noticed that they became the things they pretend to despise

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 12, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

gently caress, even rented scooters would be better than that.

Obvious question: Are they too lazy to walk or bike?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
my guess: college students have a poor grasp of monetary value and poor time management skills, meaning "oh gently caress i'm late for class, an uber to the other end of campus is only five bucks..." is probably a pretty common situation

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

luxury handset posted:

my guess: college students have a poor grasp of monetary value and poor time management skills, meaning "oh gently caress i'm late for class, an uber to the other end of campus is only five bucks..." is probably a pretty common situation

Also "poo poo I'm too loving drunk to walk myself back, an uber back to the dorm is only five bucks..."

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

luxury handset posted:

lmao at this comment, which is a scorchingly hedonistic take as well as being factually wrong

"on demand taxi services massively increase car trips in areas well served by public transit"

"well, have you considered how extremely convenient this is, given that the most important things to me are my luxurious standards of personal time and comfort?"

i followed this guy's links to his personal website and he has an "eco artists retreat" in costa rica that touts an event called the "eco-tantrart decompression party"

god save us from bay area boomers who haven't noticed that they became the things they pretend to despise

I fully agree with the guy that other people are the problem, so I'm creating a suicide booth startup.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

suck my woke dick posted:

Also "poo poo I'm too loving drunk to walk myself back, an uber back to the dorm is only five bucks..."

Don't most colleges have a drunk bus?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

Don't most colleges have a drunk bus?

definitely not, especially for large public institutions in a large city that won't necessarily have a dedicated bar district

ivies and smaller schools in smaller or college towns, it would be more likely

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Alright here's some proper tech news. Mars One, the company that was planning to send people on a one-way mission to Mars starting in 2024, has declared bankruptcy.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Sage Grimm posted:

Alright here's some proper tech news. Mars One, the company that was planning to send people on a one-way mission to Mars starting in 2024, has declared bankruptcy.

Do we know how much money the executives were able to grift? The morons that signed up for this must be feeling real proud.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

The UCLA thing blows my mind. 1) There is a shuttle bus. 2) The campus is like 30 minutes across anyway and 3) Charles E Young drive is so circuitous and filled with stoplights, that I wouldn't be surprised if it is not actually faster to take an Uber than walk.

This sounds right:

luxury handset posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Could you have like, Uber with golf carts? Or tuk-tuks?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Doggles posted:

they should do it like Eich did, and claim to be accepting donations for creators when the creators have never heard of them (as covered by Amy Castor and me)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
normal brain: forcing all your employees (sorry, "contractors") to resolve disputes using arbitration
galaxy brain: force them to use your chosen arbitrator
universe brain: never actually pay the fees to said arbitrator to hear the cases

Forced into arbitration, 12,500 drivers claim Uber won’t pay fees to launch cases

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

enki42 posted:

normal brain: forcing all your employees (sorry, "contractors") to resolve disputes using arbitration
galaxy brain: force them to use your chosen arbitrator
universe brain: never actually pay the fees to said arbitrator to hear the cases

Forced into arbitration, 12,500 drivers claim Uber won’t pay fees to launch cases
Oh my god. That is certainly a new one. Even better because courts keep upholding arbitration for dumb poo poo since we live in some lame dystopia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh my god. That is certainly a new one. Even better because courts keep upholding arbitration for dumb poo poo since we live in some lame dystopia.

Somewhat amusing - it costs Uber $1,500 to start each case. The lawyers representing drivers are essentially spamming them with as many cases as possible to hit them with the $1,500 fee as many times as possible, and then seem to be planning to use Uber's unwillingness to pay to relitigate the initial case.