Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chumbler posted:

Steam's dying, Cloud.

Oh, so it's not just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Does anyone actually believe Valve's "we promise if something ever happens to Steam you're not gonna lose access to your games"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm playing Elex now and I still can't go anywhere without getting murdered.

I remember buying this game when it was on sale for $20 and then refunding it because it was giant poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does anyone actually believe Valve's "we promise if something ever happens to Steam you're not gonna lose access to your games"

Nope, they can’t possibly promise something like that. I just accept that anything digital that I purchase is going to be gone forever eventually. It already happens occasionally, especially for anyone who plays a lot of MMORPGs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, because Steam will never go away. It's like coca cola or doritos. Steam will somehow still exist in 100 years.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
steam never makes games anymore because they're busy turning the office into a bunker

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looper posted:

steam never makes games anymore because they're busy turning the office into a bunker

Valve did develop Artifa-

Never mind.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I wish valve wasn't so lazy and let you download video game soundtracks but not the video games themselves

I don't need a 10 GB download for a 100 mb album k thanks

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm playing Elex now and I still can't go anywhere without getting murdered.

That's pirahna bytes for you. Get a companion as soon as possible--the barbarian guy you meet at the start can be recruited and that's probably easiest

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Not playing this game is one of my biggest failings but I always thought the name "Ashley Riot" was awesome
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1094672211216982017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Looper posted:

..wut?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not playing this game is one of my biggest failings but I always thought the name "Ashley Riot" was awesome

Plays real good emulated

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

victrix posted:

Plays real good emulated

On vita i thought the timing on the button presses felt really off. I might try it on pc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

That's pirahna bytes for you. Get a companion as soon as possible--the barbarian guy you meet at the start can be recruited and that's probably easiest

Yeah, I've played Gothics and Risens before I don't remember them being quite this rough though lol.
That dude seemed to want me to do some sprawling quest before he'd actually go anywhere with me unless I'm missing some obvious companion option somewhere.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

On vita i thought the timing on the button presses felt really off. I might try it on pc

The button timings always felt wonky to me even on original hardware with CRT. I always ignored the exclamation and instead timed it off the hit particle effect.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 10, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

I always ignored the exclamation and instead timed it off the hit particle effect.

this works at least until 20+ chain when absolutely everything gets randomized and the ! is the only thing that shows you when to combo

of course, you won't be doing 20+ chains unless you're grinding that one title anyway

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am the reinforcements. :black101:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Some say the souls of lost gamers still wander the paths of Snowfly Forest to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fp44Pm9ag4

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
In Apex Legends, if the game crashes, there's no option to reconnect :thumbsup:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

In Apex Legends, if the game crashes, there's no option to reconnect :thumbsup:

Yeah I discovered this and was very annoyed, you can't even look at people you've been grouped with previously to friend them and play together again, and a game you get disconnected from doesn't even exist as far as your stats go

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really want to be a fly on the wall of online devs and the decisions that go through them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Me, playing breath of the wild: oh man, I can get a skeleton horse!!
Me, 3 minutes later: what do you mean I'm not allowed to register him as my permanent horse companion?! :mad:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

that promise pre-dated the rise of GaaS online-only games and over-reliance on Denuvo so it was never a perfect promise. but most indie games are DRM-free when you install them in Steam at least

my xenoblade torna story today is this

the game vaguely mentions using resting to spend bonus EXP in one single tool-tip but doesn't say what bonus EXP is or how you get it. so I ignored resting for almost the entire game, on account of there not being any sort of notification of getting bonus EXP to remind me.

AFTER doing the gargoyle/Malos section in the capital, I rested at the inn to start a side quest, and saw how much bonus EXP i had accumulated over 17 hours of playing.

my characters all went from level 33 to 52 lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FirstAidKite posted:

Me, playing breath of the wild: oh man, I can get a skeleton horse!!
Me, 3 minutes later: what do you mean I'm not allowed to register him as my permanent horse companion?! :mad:

i know right?!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

that promise pre-dated the rise of GaaS online-only games and over-reliance on Denuvo so it was never a perfect promise. but most indie games are DRM-free when you install them in Steam at least

my xenoblade torna story today is this

the game vaguely mentions using resting to spend bonus EXP in one single tool-tip but doesn't say what bonus EXP is or how you get it. so I ignored resting for almost the entire game, on account of there not being any sort of notification of getting bonus EXP to remind me.

AFTER doing the gargoyle/Malos section in the capital, I rested at the inn to start a side quest, and saw how much bonus EXP i had accumulated over 17 hours of playing.

my characters all went from level 33 to 52 lol

it's the same mechanic as the main game so i guess they assume you know how it works already.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, I've played Gothics and Risens before I don't remember them being quite this rough though lol.
That dude seemed to want me to do some sprawling quest before he'd actually go anywhere with me unless I'm missing some obvious companion option somewhere.

iirc if you go find him in the fort after agreeing to help, he'll join up with you. or maybe you gotta do his quest first, i'm not sure, but if so it's one that only involves talking to people and no real combat

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

al-azad posted:

I really want to be a fly on the wall of online devs and the decisions that go through them.

They honestly probably haven't thought about it rather than made a conscious decision

Don't need to worry about disconnects with netcode this good! *reality kool-aid mans in through the wall*

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tales of Woe posted:

it's the same mechanic as the main game so i guess they assume you know how it works already.
i'm not playing the main game because it looks like garbage in terms of story/characters

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

its probably pretty similar to Torna but whatever.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

its probably pretty similar to Torna but whatever.
well, there's no nopon in the party in torna, and they fixed mythra's outfit in the most recent update, and there's not much in the way of icky material (although there is a weird sidequest about a dad who beats his teen son and it's played for laughs???)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's the same story, Torna is basically just the flashback reveal scenes from the main game turned into a full campaign

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

spyro 1 was a very nice and charming platformer and spyro 2 was an overstuffed mess that showcased some of the worst indulgences from that era of platformers (endless minigames, too many mascots, etc)

the third game reigned it in pretty well, skateboards aside, but hoo boy i was not expecting the second one to be as bad as it was

serves me right for getting the full collection despite only playing the first game as a kid

Agreed

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only bad character in the party is mythra because she talks with modern slang and i guess they wanted her character to be exactly the same as I assume it is in the main game, while everyone else is speaking the kings english

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

the only bad character in the party is mythra because she talks with modern slang and i guess they wanted her character to be exactly the same as I assume it is in the main game, while everyone else is speaking the kings english

The blades are supposed to seem kind of out of place. Also Mythra's localization is perfect and she is great.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

none of the other blades talk like she does though, maybe she's not the only character in the game that appears in the main game but the way she is written makes it clear she is from another game

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is the rest of the XB2 soundtrack as good as Torna's battle theme

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Is the rest of the XB2 soundtrack as good as Torna's battle theme

yes, it's one of the best rpg soundtracks ever

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm seriously considering playing the 2008 Turok reboot, somebody stop me